Board of Education Strikes again

Guest Concern Parent

Guest Number Checker

At Tuesday's BOE meeting, there was a reading of the number of investigations done regarding residency and the number of students removed from Kearny Schools due to failure to prove Kearny residency. The number of investigations was impressive - more than 100 with about 25 or less students removed.

I guess you weren't there.

That's 2 postings in a row where the answer was given at Tuesday's board meeting - some of you really need to get out and attend so that you know what you're posting.

Have a great day! ;)

100 investigations over what time period??

Guest Attending Parent

Did anyone on this discussion board actually attend the Board meeting on Tuesday night? Were there many parents there? Was there any discussion or was it a done/surprise deal? Why couldn't this have been delayed for, at least one year, so that the present students and their parents could have time to prepare for it both mentally and physically? Why the big rush? What about the youngsters who will enter 8th grade in September and were looking forward to graduating with the class they were with since pre-k? Why cut back on teachers and not on expensive administrators? What about discipline problems involved in running a huge (I presume next year the 6th graders will be transferred to Lincoln, as well) Middle School? Why not two Middle Schools, so that the youngsters won't have to travel so far? What are the additional services and subjects the children attending the new Junior School will be receiving over and above what they are already receiving? Thanks for any input anyone can give.

I was there, I'll try and answer these questions without giving any opinion on the details just my recollection of the statements.

* I saw many teachers/Principles/VPs and Admins, but only a few parents. Many of the people who spoke were from those sections although a few parents did ask questions.

* The outcome that seemed to be agreed on was investigation and consultation. A consultant to review school districting with the aim of getting to capacity in all schools this year (or near, we are 4 seats over allocated without adding any classrooms - 160ish of those seats are in the high school and not part of this plan taking lincoln out I think this makes all other schools 40 seats over allocated - there was some weird discussion on "teams" that I dont understand that makes this ok) - note this districting didnt seem to include the 400 extra seats over 5 years expected to be taken which is why this strategic plan is only for 3 years. The consultation, is meant to take plan with all parents at lincoln to determine how to keep them as close together as possible while still moving them to other schools. "The target is to get them all in 1 school if at all possible" was the take away quote from that.

* the lack of delay and rush, was a specifically expected question in the presentation. This is mostly based on 2 items, 25 teachers are retiring this year. Doing it now would save laying off teachers - at worst some teachers would be forced to move to other schools. (They did not say how many are retiring next year). The other point was that the other schools are badly over crowded now, which would persist for another year and cause the purchase of TCU's (I think thats what they mean as temporary class units) these can only be done if there is a plan to extend the buildings. Other small items were about access to forgien language course, computers, swimming pools, etc.

* There was no discussion about consistent 8th grade classes and keeping them together.

* it was adminstrative appreciation day - unlikely they would bring up scaling them back then :) Seriously though the retiring teachers was the plan to cover that. At one point the council were arguing over the hiring over another super in July and how this plan would be S**K with them. But it was made *very* clear that this had not been discussed yet and isnt part of any decision at this time.

* 6th graders under this plan would not be moved to lincoln only 7th and 8th. the remove of st stephen's which "would take millions" was done and it is completely off the table. They did say this would only change if the town built another centrally located school which is not on the plan

* additional stuff, seemed to be computers in all schools from K and up, to prep students for "Cut and Paste" (not sure why this is such a big task for them to learn - but maybe we are more verse at this already. Language, P/E, Health, this seemed to run throughout the system - however was dealt with in "words" rather than in the presentation which focussed on the middle school advantages.

The question to really help everyone who wasnt there is:

Can anyone make the presentation public so everyone can read it?

Guest Guest

100 investigations over what time period??

Since September - I didn't take notes but that was a quick count in my head while they were reported during the meeting. I forget who gave a listing the the number of investigations in each month and how many of those investigations resulted in the removal of students from Kearny schools. My numbers are not exact just representative.

Guest guest

How did we get to the current plan with Lincoln as the Jr. High and the rest elementary schools? Last meeting everything revolved around St. Stephen's. What happened?

Guest Idiots Steering the Ship

How did we get to the current plan with Lincoln as the Jr. High and the rest elementary schools? Last meeting everything revolved around St. Stephen's. What happened?

What happened is you have an acting superintendent who is doing just that.....ACTING !!! not a clue

Guest Had Enough Parent

What happened is you have an acting superintendent who is doing just that.....ACTING !!! not a clue

Has anyone realized that when the middle school "PLAN" was explained to the public at about 2 meetings ago it was to include using St. Stephen's because of the overcrowding. St Stephen's was going to "solve" the problem of overcrowding by picking up another building for classrooms space. This was also a "great opportunity" because they could now have the middle school worked into the equation. St. Stephen's would be the "middle school". The guy who runs the buildings, Mark told us all at the meeting that St Stephens would require $15,000.00 (fifteen thousand), no I did not type or spell that wrong, for renovations at St Stephens.

Now, move ahead only 3 weeks and the whole 'PLAN" has changed. We are not going to use St Stephens, beause it will cost MILLIONS of dollars to renovated ! How do we go from $15,000.00 to millions and now the whole plan has changed. They have been looking at this plan for some time now and to go from a coulple thousand to millions????? Who the hell dropped the ball here??? Now you want parents to BELIEVE what you're telling us??? That now we are not using St Stephens, BUT you are still going through with the Middle School, but it will be at Lincoln. What happened to the middle school was necessay because of Overcrowding???? I guess that does not matter any more. Redistricting plan, right??? All that is going to do is tell you where all the numbers are now, we have been down this road already!!! So shuffle all the 7 and 8 grade kids Lincoln and than when you get your study back, shuffle more kids around in K-6. Great "Plan". You people are NUTS !!!!

Guest Guest

The difference in plans is that the plan that included St. Stephen's School building would have been a long term solution. The new plan, as explained, is only good for 3 - 5 years and in the meanwhile a more permanent solution needs to be found.

Guest guest

Has anyone realized that when the middle school "PLAN" was explained to the public at about 2 meetings ago it was to include using St. Stephen's because of the overcrowding. St Stephen's was going to "solve" the problem of overcrowding by picking up another building for classrooms space. This was also a "great opportunity" because they could now have the middle school worked into the equation. St. Stephen's would be the "middle school". The guy who runs the buildings, Mark told us all at the meeting that St Stephens would require $15,000.00 (fifteen thousand), no I did not type or spell that wrong, for renovations at St Stephens.

Now, move ahead only 3 weeks and the whole 'PLAN" has changed. We are not going to use St Stephens, beause it will cost MILLIONS of dollars to renovated ! How do we go from $15,000.00 to millions and now the whole plan has changed. They have been looking at this plan for some time now and to go from a coulple thousand to millions????? Who the hell dropped the ball here??? Now you want parents to BELIEVE what you're telling us??? That now we are not using St Stephens, BUT you are still going through with the Middle School, but it will be at Lincoln. What happened to the middle school was necessay because of Overcrowding???? I guess that does not matter any more. Redistricting plan, right??? All that is going to do is tell you where all the numbers are now, we have been down this road already!!! So shuffle all the 7 and 8 grade kids Lincoln and than when you get your study back, shuffle more kids around in K-6. Great "Plan". You people are NUTS !!!!

Well said! Not replacing 24 teachers and yet having less crowded classrooms!???? Bringing all the high school students into Kearny High from East Newark and yet complain about overcrowding!??? A few thousand dollars to several millions in a couple of weeks; someone doesn't know what they are talking about. Stop experimenting with our children because of the obsession with a middle school, the present junior school and elementary set-up is just fine. At least wait until you have a long-term plan. There are already plenty of computers in each school (if not bring a few more in) and one pool in the district should be enough. Does the World Language subject in pre-high school, really need to be a for credit course. Doesn't the State allow it to be just an "exposure" to a foreign language as it was previously? This would solve one problem.

Guest Concern Parent

The front page of the Observer tells a story that is a disgrace. Paying two salaries for one job.

The article says the board has hired a private detective to check the background on the supt. of schools.

That should have been done prior to hiring him.

This man is going to work around children.

And now the board is going to check his background.

They can't decide what plan , if any, to go with concerning the district.

The members if this board need to work together.

We need a board that is concern about the Kearny Schools.

We need to let them know we are not happy with their work.

Guest Confused

It is a disgrace and now I am hearing that teachers were told to pack up their classrooms already (at Lincoln). WTH??

I thought they need to hire that person to do the redistricting first? How does this make any sense? I'm also hearing that parents will be told by Mid-May where their students will wind up at. That's not a lot of time for this study to be done, right?

What about the costs involved in moving classrooms, equipment, as per stated in the last paragraph of the Observer (where it's stated that Blood hasn't even looked into that bit)?

All for the sake of not replacing retiring teachers?? So they can keep their nice cushy salaries?

Guest Total Disgrace

The front page of the Observer tells a story that is a disgrace. Paying two salaries for one job.

The article says the board has hired a private detective to check the background on the supt. of schools.

That should have been done prior to hiring him.

This man is going to work around children.

And now the board is going to check his background.

They can't decide what plan , if any, to go with concerning the district.

The members if this board need to work together.

We need a board that is concern about the Kearny Schools.

We need to let them know we are not happy with their work.

It was done. He has been in education for 30 plus years. He has an unblemished record. But because this Mr. Ferraro would not play ball with some Board members and was doing all things "Proper" they did not want him around. This is not about a man who was not qualified, he holds all the necessary documents to be Superintendent, UNLIKE THE PERSON WHO IS BEING PAID TO DO IT NOW, this is about a Board who wants to RUN the district and not let the Super do his job.

I was at the meeting when the Board was questioned about their motion to hire an investigator to "check out" Mr. Ferraro and an observer asked if everything checks out OK mr. Ferraro would be returned to his job. CRICKETS !!!!!!! You could have heard a pin drop. After a minute or 2 Mrs. McDonald said "we don't know". So pay an investigator, and if all comes back good, we still don't let the Super have his job back. CAN anyone say Witch Hunt, how about waste of money, how about Desperate to find something to Justify what they have done. I say fire both supers, save $350,000 a year and just let Mrs. mcDonald be the Super for free, thats whats going on now anyway.

Guest Guest

It is a disgrace and now I am hearing that teachers were told to pack up their classrooms already (at Lincoln). WTH??

I thought they need to hire that person to do the redistricting first? How does this make any sense? I'm also hearing that parents will be told by Mid-May where their students will wind up at. That's not a lot of time for this study to be done, right?

What about the costs involved in moving classrooms, equipment, as per stated in the last paragraph of the Observer (where it's stated that Blood hasn't even looked into that bit)?

All for the sake of not replacing retiring teachers?? So they can keep their nice cushy salaries?

It makes sense for most teachers to pack up their personal belongings - thankfully they were given plenty of notice so that they aren't forced to come in during the summer and do it in a rush. If Lincoln is going to be a 7/8 grade school - ALL of the LIncoln elementary teachers will be relocated to the other 5 schools - why wait until June to start getting prepared? With or without the redistricting, these teachers will be moved to different schools. It may take longer to notify families as to where their students will be transferred.

Most of the movement will be done by the existing maintenance staff - and the earlier things are ready to be moved, the better, the more time the maintenance have to do that job. That won't result in great additional costs.

Your last statement makes no sense - by not replacing retiring teachers no one is collecting their "cushy salaries." The district saves a great deal of money by NOT hiring 24 new teachers. The salaries currently collected by the retiring teachers doesn't get paid to anyone.

Change is hard, it causes confusion and anxiety. But that's not a good enough reason to avoid change that will ultimately improve education in Kearny for all of our children.

Guest Lincoln Parent

It makes sense for most teachers to pack up their personal belongings - thankfully they were given plenty of notice so that they aren't forced to come in during the summer and do it in a rush. If Lincoln is going to be a 7/8 grade school - ALL of the LIncoln elementary teachers will be relocated to the other 5 schools - why wait until June to start getting prepared? With or without the redistricting, these teachers will be moved to different schools. It may take longer to notify families as to where their students will be transferred.

Most of the movement will be done by the existing maintenance staff - and the earlier things are ready to be moved, the better, the more time the maintenance have to do that job. That won't result in great additional costs.

Your last statement makes no sense - by not replacing retiring teachers no one is collecting their "cushy salaries." The district saves a great deal of money by NOT hiring 24 new teachers. The salaries currently collected by the retiring teachers doesn't get paid to anyone.

Change is hard, it causes confusion and anxiety. But that's not a good enough reason to avoid change that will ultimately improve education in Kearny for all of our children.

From my understanding the BoE approved a plan to look at the redistricting and impact, not the actual plan. I really wish the presentation would be put up somewhere, the last slide did not mention putting the plan in action, only getting more data to prove the plan. 2 very specific and defined action points - making the teachers pack up was not on the list until after consultation with the parents both of which came up in the Q&A session (obviously I attended the meeting).

No one actually dealt with determining how many teachers are retiring next year, if that's 24 as well there is no difference in money saved but we don't know that.

"Change is hard" This is not true. Poorly managed change, surprises, lack of communication, rumors, hidden agenda's and a lack of inclusion and buy in from a majority of affected people makes change hard and increases anxiety. Confusion is a symptom of the implementation not a cause of change.

I would guess at this point I would be much more with the 2 board members who voted No (the 2 that sat on the right side, and warned that this wasn't enough time to implement the changes) it would seem the rush to implement will create more distrust in the parents, these are the 50% contributors to the children's education - if the children deserve a true good inclusive education you should bring their families into the decision not exclude and surprise and confuse them.

Guest Guest

As I remember that board meeting, Mrs. Blood specifically said she'd like them to move on the plan in order to get things moving quickly so that tenured teachers would be given notice of their new schools/positions for the next BOE meeting (next Tuesday - tonight is budget hearing). Hopefully then, students can be redistricted as soon as possible after that.

While I understand parents needs as much notice as possible for this change in their child's school, they isn't as much work involved - moving classrooms, furniture, materials - as there is for teachers who are moving to another building. No, teachers won't be personally carrying desks and books across town, but they do have to pack up the class, label, and prepare for the move. They should (and probably will) move their personal items that they don't want to get lost in the move.

I see it like a band-aid - why drag it out pulling it off slowly - do it - quickly - and get over the sting and move on.

Guest concern parent

Redistricting is not like pulling off a band aid.

Lets get it over quickly.

Must we do everything half ass when it comes to our children.

There needs to be time to get the numbers right.

What's the rush. Kearny schools have been crowded for sometime. BOE do the right thing for once. Take the time to do it right for our children.

Guest guest

Redistricting is not like pulling off a band aid.

Lets get it over quickly.

Must we do everything half ass when it comes to our children.

There needs to be time to get the numbers right.

What's the rush. Kearny schools have been crowded for sometime. BOE do the right thing for once. Take the time to do it right for our children.

Amen!

Guest guest

I guess I shouldn't speak for anyone else, but I believe the "cushy salaries" quote on that post was referring to administrative positions. In other words replace three teaching positions and cut or not replace one administrator's position. Maybe I am wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Parent

Another week, another front page article regarding the Board of Ed.

In anyone is interested, there will be a "Redistricting Meeting" on May 27th at Franklin School.

Guest concern parent

Attend the meeting Parents.

This Board needs to see as Parents we care.

Time to show this board who is the boss.

THE VOTER!

m

Meeting date May 27 @ 7PM. Franklin School

Guest concern parent

Where is the notice to the public?

Parents call the board office.

Tell them you want this meeting.

Time to let them know who is boss.

Guest guest

Where is the notice to the public?

Parents call the board office.

Tell them you want this meeting.

Time to let them know who is boss.

I noticed that the minutes from the special board meeting held on March 24 has been skipped over and is missing from the website.

Guest concern parent

Of course they are missing. Because this board refuses to be open and honest with people concerning our schools. Why did they postpone the meeting concerning redistricting? My guest, they knew the parents who would be at the meeting would

Ready with some tough questions. Questions they can't answer.

Parents, be ready to attend the redistricting meeting.

Watch for the date. We need to keep on top of this matter.

BOE, don't schedule the meeting when people are going on vacation.

The people of Kearny want you to do your job.

BOE be fair, open, and honest.

Guest Guest

Of course they are missing. Because this board refuses to be open and honest with people concerning our schools. Why did they postpone the meeting concerning redistricting? My guest, they knew the parents who would be at the meeting would

Ready with some tough questions. Questions they can't answer.

Parents, be ready to attend the redistricting meeting.

Watch for the date. We need to keep on top of this matter.

BOE, don't schedule the meeting when people are going on vacation.

The people of Kearny want you to do your job.

BOE be fair, open, and honest.

I just checked & they're not missing. Where's the conspiracy now?