Board of Education Strikes again

Guest Concern Parent

Guest Concern Parent

Is it true the board is considering leasing or buying the former St. Stephen's School? For the purpose of moving all six graders to that school.

I hear that all schools would be K - Gr.5 then six graders would go to the former St. Stephen's Schoo. But, the plan does not mention 7 & 8th graders. So the board would expect students to move three times before moving to the high school.

How will the board pay for it? They have an open checkbook, it's comes from the taxpayers.

fellow citizens, we need to put this board in check.

attend board meetings and voice your opposition to this plan.

Guest Guest

Is it true the board is considering leasing or buying the former St. Stephen's School? For the purpose of moving all six graders to that school.

I hear that all schools would be K - Gr.5 then six graders would go to the former St. Stephen's Schoo. But, the plan does not mention 7 & 8th graders. So the board would expect students to move three times before moving to the high school.

How will the board pay for it? They have an open checkbook, it's comes from the taxpayers.

fellow citizens, we need to put this board in check.

attend board meetings and voice your opposition to this plan.

In many districts students move from primary to elementary to middle school - its not that unusual. Something has to be done to fix the overpopulation in our schools and the inequity of educational opportunity for middle school students. If you have a better idea, you should (have already) brought it to a BOE meeting.

Guest Concern Parent

The board has turned a deaf ear to the taxpayers.

Buying a new building does not need voter approval?

You are right, we need to improve our education for all students.

The board needs to form a committee made up of board members and parents to discuss important issues. after the meeting, provide minutes to all at the next board meeting.

Guest guest

Use the St.Stephen's building to house the pre-K

and Kindergarten students. Then check if enrolled students live in the district and borrowing a Kearny address. This would free up classroom space. Then all schools would house Gr.1 - 8

Just a thought.

Guest Guest

To be honest, that was my thought, too: a central early childhood learning center. But it still wouldn't solve a lot of problems. Currently we have replication of services that could be condensed or eliminated if all middle school students were in one school. A minor issue to many, the foreign language teachers spend a lot of time in their cars - through no fault of their own - while they travel from school to school to teach their classes. We are paying teachers full salaries when they are really teaching only half course loads - again not their fault that they are driving from school to school. If they were in one building they could teacher twice as many classes in the same amount of time. This kind of inefficient use of time - especially in the area of specials/electives - is a poor use of the district's resources that could be corrected if the students were in what will be known as the Lincoln Middle School and the Lincoln School Annex.

Guest guest

When was the last time additions were added to the schools. If there is room build on or up.

We are doing it with the high school.

The board should compare the cost of building new to adding additions.

What about a Charter School?

Guest Money for Nothing

When was the last time additions were added to the schools. If there is room build on or up.

We are doing it with the high school.

The board should compare the cost of building new to adding additions.

What about a Charter School?

There is no money to do anything. The Board is spending every last penny on Attorney's, friends salaries, including acting "not so" Super Blood, that's (2) Superintendent Salaries, Super Fund Clean Up Site on Midland Ave which is already over $3.1 million dollars and growing !

Guest Guest

There is no money to do anything. The Board is spending every last penny on Attorney's, friends salaries, including acting "not so" Super Blood, that's (2) Superintendent Salaries, Super Fund Clean Up Site on Midland Ave which is already over $3.1 million dollars and growing !

Oh, come on.

Guest guest

Is it true the so called middle school plan is a go for September? The board can't speak without tripping on their tongue.

They are certainly not that smart to work a major plan such as this.

If they were smart, we have a Blue Ribbon District.

Guest guest

sure there is money! They are going raise taxes.

But, remember some of the board members promised not to raise taxes when they were running for office. Don't promise what you can' t

deliver.

Election time is coming.

Guest Concerned Parent

The parents of students at Lincoln School are outraged over this decision. We will be trying to get a petition signed to stop this nonsense. Many of us plan on attending the next BoE meeting on April 22nd @ 7PM. They have no right to put our kids' education and safety in jeopardy. Especially since there is no mention of busing our children from one end of town to the other. To make very young children walk a mile to and from is ridiculous. We already had such a hard time walking this past winter due to snow. I've already heard several parents stating that they will have to pull their children out of school since many here do no drive or own a car. Do they want more cars on the road, more accidents, more traffic? The list of complaints and concerns are endless right now. It's not like this town has designated "drop off and pick up areas". Plus many students will be torn apart from friends, children they have gone to school with since starting. Demographic...yeah, that means splitting everyone apart.

I bet someone's hand is in someone's pocket over this and yes, taxes will most certainly be raised. I'd love to know how we can afford to pay for two superintendents.

Guest angry taxpayer

Never mind stopping the board with this plan, get petitions to recall the entire board. Get them out before Kearny becomes a ghost town. just see the homes up for sale. Parents, time to change .

By the way, are board members really concern for our children or out for what they can get.

Guest Guest

Sometimes we have to look toward the greater good. Sometimes it isn't about our own individual conveniences. Sometimes it's about the future. Unfortunately in order to bring equity to the Kearny Public Schools we don't have the ability to build new schools or add on to the current schools. We have to reorganize. Is this plan perfect? No, but no plan would be.

No one likes change - remember the outrage at school uniforms? That was forgotten as soon as everyone got used to the idea.

By moving all students in common grades to one centralized location all students will have the opportunities offered to some of the schools. At this time, some middle schoolers benefit from smaller class sizes, some benefit from more computer time, some benefit from having a swimming pool for their gym classes, some have proper science labs....

Why shouldn't all have the same benefits?

I don't believe that the plan is to bus the Lincoln School elementary students miles away from their homes, nor is the plan that they should walk up hill two miles in the snow both ways...students will be moved to the nearest elementary school to their homes. In some cases they might find themselves the same or even a closer distance to school. The school districts in Kearny have been barely adjusted since the end of the Emerson School down on Hickory St. (And that was before my time on Earth.) Lincoln School has the same district lines that the Emerson School had all those years ago and that has never made any sense.

If this is what it takes to bring you to BOE meetings, so be it. Your voice will be welcomed and you company appreciated. There aren't enough people in the audience of these meetings and every citizen of Kearny who shows up adds their voice to what's best for Kearny. :)

Guest Guest

I agree with today's 5:25 a.m. Guest. The vitriol is uncalled for, and even if you disagree with the plan, it is a reasonable plan that is worth trying, and not only for the reasons stated by this morning's "Guest". It's not as though the students are being asked to go any long distance.

In my opinion, we have some good people on this Board. We should support them, not just scream at them for no good reason.

Guest guest

Some good people who can't get their work done because of the few who make everything a problem.

Yes, we should look at district lines. But, we need to look at enrollment. What students should not be attending Kearny Schools.

Both previous writers agree this a good plan.

Do you have children in the school district?

Guest Reality

No, they should be screamed at. That's the problem, everybody sits back and shows no interest until its too late. Where were all you "concerned" parents when they ran the Newly appointed Super out of Town? They are paying TWO super salaries !!! This whole middle school plan has nothing to do with YOUR KIDS, its everything about creating MORE jobs for their friends and family. THE BOE is the only employment agency in Town, when are you going to recognize that?

As someone prior wrote, get rid of this BOE, let the State take over or put in an appointed Board, because as long as you have a popularity contest tour TAX dollars are being flushed down the toilet and your kids are Getting nothing.

Wait til you see the Tax increase coming !!!! The for sale signs will be flying. Mayor this Town is in trouble, you did what you could do, but this Board is going to run you out of Town too !!!

Guest guest

Yes ,There some good people on the board.

But, Most of them don't use common sense.

To have a plan just to say you have a plan does not solve the problems.

Question to the two previous writers:

And did you ever the distance you think our children can walk?

Guest Guest

I already checked and know people that work in the school system, my kids will be sent to Schuyler, that is 1.2 miles from my house (via MapQuest). There is no way they can walk that. I am already 4 blocks away from Lincoln. If I have to be forced to drive my kids to school, then I might as well call my realtor tomorrow and move to a town that has a better school system. I'd love for you all to tell this to a Mom who's kids both have Asthma, she has no car, how will she get to a school farther away? She already told me Lincoln is the closest to her. And yes, feel free to go online and see how Kearny schools are rated. No one is saying a middle school is not a good idea but all the other schools are farther away from us and most parents who kids attend Lincoln, attend Lincoln because it's closest to us.

Guest Guest

I already checked and know people that work in the school system, my kids will be sent to Schuyler, that is 1.2 miles from my house (via MapQuest). There is no way they can walk that. I am already 4 blocks away from Lincoln. If I have to be forced to drive my kids to school, then I might as well call my realtor tomorrow and move to a town that has a better school system. I'd love for you all to tell this to a Mom who's kids both have Asthma, she has no car, how will she get to a school farther away? She already told me Lincoln is the closest to her. And yes, feel free to go online and see how Kearny schools are rated. No one is saying a middle school is not a good idea but all the other schools are farther away from us and most parents who kids attend Lincoln, attend Lincoln because it's closest to us.

I'm sorry, but you've been misinformed. The study for redistricting hasn't started yet, let alone completed and organized with who will go where when it is completed. That and if you check Mapquest, from 336 Devon St. (KHS) to 644 Forest St. (Schuyler) it is 1.18 miles so it is impossible that if you are in Lincoln School district (further north, closer to Schuyler School) that you are 1.2 miles away. Get your facts straight. Some people who are less informed than you might actually believe you.

Guest Guest

Yes ,There some good people on the board.

But, Most of them don't use common sense.

To have a plan just to say you have a plan does not solve the problems.

Question to the two previous writers:

And did you ever the distance you think our children can walk?

Actually, I do have kids in the district and yes, they probably will be moved around with the upcoming changes.

Also, I grew up on Devon St. between Bergen Ave. and Boyd St. and WALKED to St. Stephen School everyday from 1st through 8th grade. So yes, I do have an idea of the kind of distance kids can walk.

Guest lil pp

Stop whining. The little angels can probably use the exercise.

Guest Guest

Actually, I do have kids in the district and yes, they probably will be moved around with the upcoming changes.

Also, I grew up on Devon St. between Bergen Ave. and Boyd St. and WALKED to St. Stephen School everyday from 1st through 8th grade. So yes, I do have an idea of the kind of distance kids can walk.

Yes, but kids can't, don't, or won't walk anymore. They have to be driven to school in their mom's SUVs

Guest Guest

If you don't like the plan, go to the Board meetings and say why. Organize with people who agree with you. Present your case. But when you do that, consider everything. Because if all you do is whine because you are inconvenienced personally, that's not going to get the policy changed. If enough people are seriously put out by the change, that might.

And stop villainizing the Board members. You make yourself less credible when you do that. It's not about them, it's about what is best for Kearny, especially our kids and their parents. So focus on that, and stop attacking good people who - if you're right - sincerely made a bad call.

Guest Guest

If you don't like the plan, go to the Board meetings and say why. Organize with people who agree with you. Present your case. But when you do that, consider everything. Because if all you do is whine because you are inconvenienced personally, that's not going to get the policy changed. If enough people are seriously put out by the change, that might.

And stop villainizing the Board members. You make yourself less credible when you do that. It's not about them, it's about what is best for Kearny, especially our kids and their parents. So focus on that, and stop attacking good people who - if you're right - sincerely made a bad call.

Did I write this?

Guest angry taxpayer

The board has made several bad calls. Purchased a building on Midland Avenue that needs EPA cleanup. They are paying two supt. Salaries. Willing to hire back a worker that if done could cost the district millions of dollars. And now a proposed plan to correct overcrowding in the schools. Each of these actions will cost millions of dollars.

The taxpayer will need to pay the bill. Being a board requires knowing your actions will affect everyone.