Superintendent only "break" school boundary for friends!

Guest Super MOM

Guest Another Surprised Resident

You're just another bully trying to make life easy on yourself. Your child will be just as well cared for at either school. It's time to stop people like you from taking advantage of the politically correct society we now live in. Do you have any clue how overpopulated Lincoln is right now? No because you only care about yourself. If you want to make your kid's life as normal as possible, as you have said, then send her to the school that she is assigned to. Don't get all high and mighty because you sign in with a screen name either. Most people here don't know your identity and don't need to. You should realize that from everyone giving you crap for talking about the other girl in public.

You can take that rapper mentality and shove it. I wouldn't immitate you if you paid me.

By the way, I'm a taxpayer and it is my business because I have to pay for your little animals to go to school.

That's pathetic. You're the one acting the bully with this last post. The basic question is a legitimate one: is there a double standard by the Superintendent's office on transfer requests? By the extraordinarily defensive responses to that question, I suspect there may very well be a double standard. Often when an action or decision is not justifiable, the response is to attack the person raising the question. It happens much too often with government officials. That's exactly what you're doing, attacking the messenger. In the meantime, we don't know whether there's a double standard or not because we don't have all the facts.

SuperMom, Don't stop!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's wrong as a matter of law. Federal civil rights cases in the public school context are litigated with some frequency in federal court. Litigants' attorneys and federal courts can analyze school data without identifying any child.

Attorneys and courts, perhaps...not Super Mom. She has no right to request such information as was suggested in the posting that stated, "you should print out an OPRA request form off the Kearny Schools web site, fill it out requesting a list of students who are in Kearny Schools beyond their boundaries".

As for a federal civil rights case, don't you think you're putting the cart before the horse? It hasn't, to my understanding, even been established that the proper procedures have been followed as of yet.

My daughters IEP has not been finalized yet, Lincoln school offers a program that Roosevelt doesn't, my daughter is having a very hard time in school both behavior and

educationally. I'm not thinking about what is best for me or the community... It's what's best for her :) I hope you understand

Thanks

The basic skills instruction that is offered at Lincoln, and several of the other schools, is not a special education program and is not taught by a special education teacher. It is not meant to be a substitute for the recommendations in an IEP. Until that IEP is completed, moving your daughter to another school would be premature. That's the procedure, and it has nothing to do with discrimination!

That's pathetic. You're the one acting the bully with this last post. The basic question is a legitimate one: is there a double standard by the Superintendent's office on transfer requests? By the extraordinarily defensive responses to that question, I suspect there may very well be a double standard. Often when an action or decision is not justifiable, the response is to attack the person raising the question. It happens much too often with government officials. That's exactly what you're doing, attacking the messenger. In the meantime, we don't know whether there's a double standard or not because we don't have all the facts.

SuperMom, Don't stop!

No SuperMom is the bully. She made a request and it was denied. Instead of appealing it privately she did it in a public forum while also dragging another child into the situation. She's using both her child and the other child as pawns to win her argument under the guise of "doing what's best for her child". She has no regard for the community or the other special needs children facing far more difficult situations.

If she wants to make this a fight about a double standard then all of our opinions have to be taken into consideration. If this is truly about her child then she should have followed Legal Beagle's advice. Basically educate yourself about the process, make the request, appeal the decision, and if you still don't like the outcome hire counsel and take legal action. Actually, if the change of schools is really necessary, a letter from the child's doctor would have been enough for the Super to approve the transfer.

Are you foolish enough to suggest that the Superintendent just move children from school to school at every parent's request? Do you have the numbers on how many of these requests are made?

Hopefully, now that SuperMom has chosen to make this a public battle and continues to do so by posting here, all of the facts will come out. Something tells me you will feel quite silly if they do.

Guest SuperMOM

No SuperMom is the bully. She made a request and it was denied. Instead of appealing it privately she did it in a public forum while also dragging another child into the situation. She's using both her child and the other child as pawns to win her argument under the guise of "doing what's best for her child". She has no regard for the community or the other special needs children facing far more difficult situations.

If she wants to make this a fight about a double standard then all of our opinions have to be taken into consideration. If this is truly about her child then she should have followed Legal Beagle's advice. Basically educate yourself about the process, make the request, appeal the decision, and if you still don't like the outcome hire counsel and take legal action. Actually, if the change of schools is really necessary, a letter from the child's doctor would have been enough for the Super to approve the transfer.

Are you foolish enough to suggest that the Superintendent just move children from school to school at every parent's request? Do you have the numbers on how many of these requests are made?

Hopefully, now that SuperMom has chosen to make this a public battle and continues to do so by posting here, all of the facts will come out. Something tells me you will feel

quite silly if they do.

Just so you know, there was a letter from the doctor...

Guest Shocked

Hopefully, now that SuperMom has chosen to make this a public battle and continues to do so by posting here, all of the facts will come out. Something tells me you will feel quite silly if they do.

You're an idiot...

Guest Idiot hater

You're just another bully trying to make life easy on yourself. Your child will be just as well cared for at either school. It's time to stop people like you from taking advantage of the politically correct society we now live in. Do you have any clue how overpopulated Lincoln is right now? No because you only care about yourself. If you want to make your kid's life as normal as possible, as you have said, then send her to the school that she is assigned to. Don't get all high and mighty because you sign in with a screen name either. Most people here don't know your identity and don't need to. You should realize that from everyone giving you crap for talking about the other girl in public.

You can take that rapper mentality and shove it. I wouldn't immitate you if you paid me.

By the way, I'm a taxpayer and it is my business because I have to pay for your little animals to go to school.

LITTLE ANIMALS??? that's what u think of children??? Go live on a boat and you won't pay any taxes... We don't want want you here around our children anyway!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Guest Leagal Beagle

Legal Beagle, you know it doesn't work that way in court. You can't violate federal law and hide behind privacy. Federal courts and litigants' attorneys can and often analyze school data with disclosing anyone's identity.

Yes, you've pre-judged SuperMom. I repeat, unless you know how all other transfer requests were handled, you can't pre-judge her. By continuing to do so, an "opinion" can be formed that you're not objective and have a strong pro-school administration bias, maybe to the point of being a knee jerk defender of the current administration.

When did this go to Court? The debate here has been whether SuperMom and her supporters have the right to any data, general or specific, regarding children attending school out of their districts. The answer is an unequivocal NO! The Board of Education and/or the Superintendent are bound under state and federal law not to divulge this type of information. It is not a matter of public record.

Even in the remote possibility that this ever reaches Court, it is still not a "given" that this would be considered shareable evidence. My educated guess would be that a judge or mediator would view this information "in camera" since it involves the privacy of minors. In some cases the presiding authority MAY allow the attorneys to view any part of the documentation which is deemed prima facie, but even then the personal files of the children would not be made public. How much more clarity do you require before you get the idea that no one has the right to this information?

You keep asserting my bias against SuperMom. I had no preconceived notion about this woman. I don't even know who she is! I have however formed a judgment about her actions based on her behavior and her own words posted on this site. That's what intelligent people do---they gather information and form opinions. That does not make me prejudiced. Apparently "prejudice" is yet another term you misunderstand.

Just so you know, there was a letter from the doctor...

Is that letter strictly regarding the diagnosis of ADHD, or in your doctor's medical opinion, is there a service that Lincoln School can provide that Roosevelt can't?

My daughters IEP has not been finalized yet, Lincoln school offers a program that Roosevelt doesn't, my daughter is having a very hard time in school both behavior and

educationally. I'm not thinking about what is best for me or the community... It's what's best for her :) I hope you understand

Thanks

Wait! Tell me you're not serious. You have not even taken the process to its conclusion yet and you've been screaming, "Foul!" all over town. Why are we even having this discussion?

When did this go to Court? The debate here has been whether SuperMom and her supporters have the right to any data, general or specific, regarding children attending school out of their districts. The answer is an unequivocal NO! The Board of Education and/or the Superintendent are bound under state and federal law not to divulge this type of information. It is not a matter of public record.

Even in the remote possibility that this ever reaches Court, it is still not a "given" that this would be considered shareable evidence. My educated guess would be that a judge or mediator would view this information "in camera" since it involves the privacy of minors. In some cases the presiding authority MAY allow the attorneys to view any part of the documentation which is deemed prima facie, but even then the personal files of the children would not be made public. How much more clarity do you require before you get the idea that no one has the right to this information?

You keep asserting my bias against SuperMom. I had no preconceived notion about this woman. I don't even know who she is! I have however formed a judgment about her actions based on her behavior and her own words posted on this site. That's what intelligent people do---they gather information and form opinions. That does not make me prejudiced. Apparently "prejudice" is yet another term you misunderstand.

You're still hiding behild children's privacy. The question is, once again, is there a double standard on transfer requests? The persons determining the requests cannot be the ones deciding whether there is a double standard. What you're advocating would mean just that; in other words, the potential violator is the one who decides whether she's violating the law. That's not due process.

As to forming opinions on SuperMom, if you think SuperMom's several postings are a "tirade" and then disparage her requests as "tactics" and as as part of some "ethnic card" agenda, then yes, I'd say, IMHO, that you, Legal Begal, are prejudiced and a knee jerk defender of the School Administration. You've provided NO DATA, not a scintilla of evidence, that there is no double standard on handling school transfer requests. You hide behind privacy without adequately addressing SuperMom's federal rights. Perhaps the refusal to share the data is not because of privacy but instead because of concern that the district is potentially liable on how it's handled tranfer requests?

Guest Frankly it's Frank

You're still hiding behild children's privacy. The question is, once again, is there a double standard on transfer requests? The persons determining the requests cannot be the ones deciding whether there is a double standard. What you're advocating would mean just that; in other words, the potential violator is the one who decides whether she's violating the law. That's not due process.

As to forming opinions on SuperMom, if you think SuperMom's several postings are a "tirade" and then disparage her requests as "tactics" and as as part of some "ethnic card" agenda, then yes, I'd say, IMHO, that you, Legal Begal, are prejudiced and a knee jerk defender of the School Administration. You've provided NO DATA, not a scintilla of evidence, that there is no double standard on handling school transfer requests. You hide behind privacy without adequately addressing SuperMom's federal rights. Perhaps the refusal to share the data is not because of privacy but instead because of concern that the district is potentially liable on how it's handled tranfer requests?

WELL SAID.......AMEN!

How else would you describe her postings? She's brought up a another child's name in a public forum, she's called the Superintendent names on this forum, the police have even given her a subtle warning to back off. She's obviously angry that Frank didn't automatically do what she wanted. Do you want a Superintendent that gives in to every parent's request?

I've said it before, if she had a letter from a doctor stating that the child needs to be in the school that is closest to her home we wouldn't be having these conversations. But I'll bet you that the doctor's letter that she has doesn't say that.

Edited by KOTW
Please note KOTW allows open discussions. Statements are opinion not necessarily facts.

WELL SAID.......AMEN!

Wrong again. Teachers that live in Kearny are given the choice to bring their children to the school that they teach in. This policy has been in place long before Frank took over as Superintendent.

Once again, a letter from a doctor stating that the child needs to be in the school closest to her home would have ended this whole situation. It is Super Mom that is having the knee jerk reaction on this one.

Guest Legal Beagle

Hiding behind privacy rights? No, PROTECTING them----that is what the law, not me, does---it protects the rights of the individual, especially children. Are you now opposed to the Constitution?

I'll explain this again, as simply as possible, so you can grasp the concept. Children's school files are not public record. Not you, nor SuperMom, nor I have the right to violate their confidentiality. That is the law, not a prerogative of the Board or the Superintendent. As previously explained, the only possible way for those records to be scrutinized would be by order of the Court;and even then access would probably be limited.

Since it is SuperMom who has brought forth very public allegations of wrong-doing, the burden of proof falls on her and at this juncture in the process, there is no way that she can offer proof that she was treated unfairly. Chastising me for not providing "evidence" that the placement process is non-discriminatory is tantamount to asking me if I still beat my wife. You cannot just assume that a crime exists, hurl allegations and then demand that the accused prove you wrong. That is not how the justice system works. WHERE IS THE PROOF?

Guest SuperMOM

How else would you describe her postings? She's brought up a another child's name in a public forum, she's called the Superintendent names on this forum, the police have even given her a subtle warning to back off. She's obviously angry that Frank didn't automatically do what she wanted. Do you want a Superintendent that gives in to every parent's request?

I've said it before, if she had a letter from a doctor stating that the child needs to be in the school that is closest to her home we wouldn't be having these conversations. But I'll bet you that the doctor's letter that she has doesn't say that.

Legal Beagal

I will be more than happy to show u the letter stating that it would be in my daughters best interest to be at the school closer to home... You want it hand delivered ?? Don't make assumptions without having the facts

-- SuperMOM

Guest SuperMOM

Wrong again. Teachers that live in Kearny are given the choice to bring their children to the school that they teach in. This policy has been in place long before Frank took over as Superintendent.

Once again, a letter from a doctor stating that the child needs to be in the school closest to her home would have ended this whole situation. It is Super Mom that is having the knee jerk reaction on this one.

U want to see the letter too

Guest Legal Beagle

Legal Beagal

I will be more than happy to show u the letter stating that it would be in my daughters best interest to be at the school closer to home... You want it hand delivered ?? Don't make assumptions without having the facts

-- SuperMOM

I believe that you are addressing the wrong poster regarding the existence of a "letter". I never mentioned it, but whether it exists or not, does not change my opinion as to how you have approached this dilemma. For you to caution me about making assumptions is not only laughable but hypocritical when your entire case is constructed on the assumption that another child doesn't have a valid reason a placement exemption. It is none of your business and is not a factor in your child's situation.

Guest Free Ride

I believe that you are addressing the wrong poster regarding the existence of a "letter". I never mentioned it, but whether it exists or not, does not change my opinion as to how you have approached this dilemma. For you to caution me about making assumptions is not only laughable but hypocritical when your entire case is constructed on the assumption that another child doesn't have a valid reason a placement exemption. It is none of your business and is not a factor in your child's situation.

It's not a factor? Jump on the ********* school bus, where all friends and family get whatever they want, including JOBS! There is a very serious pattern going on around here. Keep your eyes and ears open, and stay tuned.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

You're absolutely right, LB. Just because SuperMom (with her super powers) isn't aware of the reason for another child going to the school she wants to put her child into, doesn't mean there isn't a legitimate legal, physical, or educational reason. Not everything, as you've mentioned, is for public knowledge.

My gut feeling here is, it's too much trouble to take one kid to Roosevelt since the older child has now moved on to Lincoln. I honestly believe that she's looking for a break. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) for decades children have been going from Roosevelt, Garfield, (and formerly Schuyler) to attend 7th & 8th grade at Lincoln (and sometimes Washington or Franklin.) Pain in the neck for those families, sometimes. But that's how it has always been and for good reason.

When (and if) the numbers of out of neighborhood school placement become available to her, I think she'll find that the 2 main reasons for it:

1. Special education students in self-contained classrooms (they're spread out all over town, depending upon what grade a child is in depends upon the school they attend.)

2. Students displaced because of class sizes.

There are very few "teacher's kids" placed out of their neighborhood schools, because truthfully, most already live in Roosevelt distract and that is the most desirable grammar school in town.

I'm sure, Supermom will also be against the centralized district middle school unless it suits her personal needs.

That's the problem with our townspeople and local governmental bodies - everyone involved seems to be in it for their personal issues, not for the betterment of the town/district.

SuperMom has a doctor's letter just like the other child. More and more, it looks like a double standard.

As to using other children names, parents, teachers and administrators, bring up other cases/examples all the time. Should a name be used? Absolutely not. Can other examples be cited? Absolutely yes.

What "names" did SuperMom call the School Superintendent?

When does the police enforce privacy statutes for making a statement at a public meeting? I didn't know we lived in a police state. That really is incredible. "Subtle warning"? What's that?

SuperMom has a doctor's letter just like the other child. More and more, it looks like a double standard.

As to using other children names, parents, teachers and administrators, bring up other cases/examples all the time. Should a name be used? Absolutely not. Can other examples be cited? Absolutely yes.

When does the police enforce privacy statutes for making a statement at a public meeting? I didn't know we lived in a police state. That really is incredible. "Subtle warning"? What's that?

I don't know what the letters say, do you?

The district should not decide this based on other cases.

She called him Super Frank. It shows an obvious lack of respect.

The police approached her, as she has stated in another post, because she and her son were basically harassing the other mom and child that she keeps bringing up.

Anyway, Super Mom may have backed herself into a corner. She has stated that her child's IEP has not been completed yet. Once that's done her child may end up at another school in Kearny besides Lincoln or Roosevelt. Or her child may be bussed to a school in another town. In either case the child will be picked up by a bus. Then I guess we'll see the true nature of Super Mom's request.

Tell me, why should the Superintendent make a decision when the child's IEP hasn't been completed?

Guest SuperMOM

I'm done with you people ... Most of the people commenting here are not one bit interested in the real problem here.... It really does come down to political BS ... I wasn't harassing anyone.... I didn't know that walking down the street off of my block was illegal ... I can walk wherever I want so can anyone of my children.

My daughter is ADHD... and as proven by previous posts no one here has a clue to that condition... It rarely qualifies for an IEP, but at the same time my daughter is having extreme difficulties in school and as her mother and through extensive research of the Kearny school district both her doctor and I feel it would be in her best interest to attend Lincoln school... I'm not one bit interested anymore on any of your opinions. Post whatever you want !! Think whatever you want!!

As her mother I know what's best for her!! Think what you want of me, I really could care less... I am a super mom with super powers and will do anything for my children's needs!!! The day I gave birth to my children I promised to each one of them that I would love them, protect and care for them, fight for them, and never give up on them.

So my journey will continue .... Thank you for all the support I have received !!

--superMOM

You're not paying attention!!! SuperMom not only blurted out the other child's name, but also members of the other child's family; and although she may try to deny it, she used other means to try to make contact with the other child. Wrong, very wrong.

You're not paying attention!!! SuperMom not only blurted out the other child's name, but also members of the other child's family; and although she may try to deny it, she used other means to try to make contact with the other child. Wrong, very wrong.

You're not paying attention! Big deal she said a name or names, it was in front of who, six people at a BOE meeting. The bottom line is there IS a double standard, you are either a Super frank supporter and get whatever you want or you disagree with him and get nothing.