Harrison Fest

Guest Guest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
There will never be another Harrison Fest without Millan

There was a street feast before Millan and they will continue to have. If you people remember the street feast started down on First Street, then it was moved to Harrison Avenue.

Guest Guest
There was a street feast before Millan and they will continue to have.  If you people remember the street feast started down on First Street, then it was moved to Harrison Avenue.

I remember when there was a huge parade before the fest. and the fest included all kinds of culture and music, I guess we will never see anything like that again.

Guest Guest
I remember when there was a huge parade before the fest. and the fest included all kinds of culture and music, I guess we will never see anything like that again.

QUE NO HABLE INGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats what its come to!!!!!! cannot understand the music.

Guest Rose bowl Parade chairperson
The Multicutural celebration  will be June 2nd. & 3RD ,If you  like  to volunteer 2hrs. call Town Hall .

Can we enter a float in the festival? If so, we would like to have Mr. ******* in a chair eating peanuts and donating his favorite quarters to the children of the town! If this is possible, would a politician in good standing, answer this suggestion.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Your Telling Me!!!&#

:

QUE NO HABLE INGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats what its come to!!!!!!  cannot understand the music.

:) You can say that again, I grew up here for 53 yrs and I don't eev step foot in harrison anymore, I use to go to the parade every year, I remember swimming at the RCA pool, I don't even recognize this town anymore. And by the looks of it I dont want to. No one ever changed the voting ballots for the Polish, Italian immigrants so why now ? If you speak English you are in the wrong town!!!

Guest guest
GOTTA BE CARABOBO, ****

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

WHAT DOES 'CARABOBO' MEAN ? Is there no English 'meaning' for the wqord, that he wrote it in Spanish, or does it have a meaning that is untranslatable into English, whereby it needed to be in Spanish?

Guest Guest
:

:) You can say that again, I grew up here for 53 yrs and I don't eev step foot in harrison anymore, I use to go to the parade every year, I remember swimming at the RCA pool, I don't even recognize this town anymore. And by the looks of it I dont want to. No one ever changed the voting ballots for the Polish, Italian immigrants so why now ? If you speak English you are in the wrong town!!!

Agreed, I also remember RCA pool. it was kind of a secret in town, did you have family in RCA: I did I think that was the only way you got in there at least in my time, thats the way it was, My father was the fire chief and chief the the guards.

So I had a open ticket to go whenever I wanted. You are right this town is so different. Immigrants comming to the US first thing they did was to learn to speak English . now this immigrants dont learn English, why should they when we cater to them by putting everything in their language. Dare you go to their country and I have. learn to speak their language or else you can"t get by.

Guest Summer Swim Director
Agreed, I also remember RCA pool. it was kind of a secret in town, did you have family in RCA: I did I think that was the only way you got in there at least in my time, thats the way it was, My father was the fire chief and chief the the guards.

So I had a open ticket to go whenever  I wanted. You are right this town is so different. Immigrants comming to the US first thing they did was to learn to speak English . now this immigrants dont learn English, why should they when we cater to them by putting everything in their language. Dare you go to their country and I have. learn to speak their language or else you can"t get by.

Wait a minute, your father was the Fire Chief! Your family was connected, you were part of the "HAVES" in town in that Era. You didn't suffer like the kids down in the projects, who were habitually ignored summer after summer from having those little perks attached only to the special families. The rest of Harrison spent the summer up in the Baby Pool in West Hudson Park year after year. So don't type caste yourself as belonging to the suffering population of the gone bye years who struggled to do without. I would think you had it pretty good in that era. I don't ever remember the children of the Police & Firemen as hardship cases!

Guest Your Telling Me
Wait a minute, your father was the Fire Chief! Your family was connected, you were part of the "HAVES" in town in that Era. You didn't suffer like the kids down in the projects, who were habitually ignored summer after summer from having those little perks attached only to the special families. The rest of Harrison spent the summer up in the Baby Pool in West Hudson Park year after year. So don't type caste yourself as belonging to the suffering population of the gone bye years who struggled to do without. I would think you had it pretty good in that era. I don't ever remember the children of the Police & Firemen as hardship cases!

Well, I must add that I was not one of the rich kids, but in all defense, you did not have to have a parent working in RCA to go to the swim program, my dad worked in Worthington, and he signed us up for swim classes offered to the ton, and anyway most of Harrison kids went to Kearny Pool, and I know that for a fact!

Guest guest

So I had a open ticket to go whenever  I wanted. You are right this town is so different. Immigrants comming to the US first thing they did was to learn to speak English . now this immigrants dont learn English, why should they when we cater to them by putting everything in their language. Dare you go to their country and I have. learn to speak their language or else you can"t get by.

TRUE. WOULD I GET THE SAME FREEBIES AND LANGUAGE ASSISTANCE TOOLS IF I WENT TO THE NATIVE COUNTRIES OF OUR PRESENT IMMIGRANTS TO HARRISON? WOULD ONE OF THEM PLEASE ANSWER WHETHER I WOULD GET 'SPANISH AS A 'SECOND' LANGUAGE' CLASSES IN PUBLIC SCHOOL IF MY KIDS MOVED DOWN THERE OR WOULD I GET AN 'ENGLISH' VOTING BALLOT IF I DECIDED TO BECOME A CITIZEN THERE DUE TO MARRIAGE, ETC. , IN THEIR NATIVE COUNTRY? AND IF MY JOB OUT THERE LAID ME OFF, WOULD I BE ELLIGIBLE FOR GOVN FINANCIAL ASSISTAANCE , GOV ASSISTED HOUSING, IF I WAS OR WAS NOT A CITIZEN THERE?

If 'YE$S'; them 'I apologize'. If not, then they got a 'lot' of financial & lanaguage help that they or I wouldn't get in any other country anywhere else and all of the 'earlier' immigrants 'Never' got. Plus, the Polish, Chinese & Indian immigrants should get their 'Voting' etc, 'Gov telephone assistance' in "Their' language too.

If you do it for one group then be 'fair' and do it for 'all' of the others who are in the 'same' boat.>>>>>>>>>MAN, THAT'LL KEEP THE GOV, BUSY, CREAT MORE JOBS AND eventually "BROKE"!!!!!!

Guest GUEST
TRUE.  WOULD I GET THE SAME FREEBIES AND LANGUAGE ASSISTANCE TOOLS IF I WENT TO THE NATIVE COUNTRIES OF OUR PRESENT IMMIGRANTS TO HARRISON?  WOULD ONE OF THEM PLEASE ANSWER WHETHER I WOULD GET 'SPANISH AS A 'SECOND'  LANGUAGE' CLASSES IN PUBLIC SCHOOL IF MY KIDS MOVED DOWN THERE OR WOULD I GET AN 'ENGLISH'  VOTING BALLOT IF I DECIDED TO BECOME A CITIZEN THERE DUE TO MARRIAGE, ETC. , IN THEIR NATIVE COUNTRY?  AND IF MY JOB  OUT THERE LAID ME OFF, WOULD I BE ELLIGIBLE FOR GOVN FINANCIAL ASSISTAANCE , GOV ASSISTED HOUSING, IF I WAS OR WAS NOT A CITIZEN THERE?

If 'YE$S'; them 'I apologize'.  If not, then they got a 'lot' of financial & lanaguage help that they or I wouldn't get in any other country anywhere else and all of the 'earlier' immigrants 'Never' got.  Plus, the Polish, Chinese & Indian immigrants should get their 'Voting' etc,  'Gov telephone assistance' in "Their' language too.

If you do it for one group then be 'fair' and do it for 'all' of the others who are in the 'same' boat.>>>>>>>>>MAN, THAT'LL KEEP THE GOV, BUSY, CREAT MORE JOBS  AND  eventually "BROKE"!!!!!!

I, as an inmigrant from spanish speaking language agree we should try to learn the language, BUT blame the government for providing every thing in spanish, and I would tell you that not all the other inmigrants learned the language, for your information the M's secretary is a polish translator and also ML from the center, nothing wrong with that but don't blame unly us the spanish speaking.

Guest Guest

he was not the fire chief of town, he was fire chief in the RCA-big difference. We were not by no means connected to the town and certainly not special. In fact when I left home and got married I lived in the 'projects' My family never afforded to own there own home. I was a kid at the time, so if the kids in the projects were ignored as you say, it had nothing to do with me. As someone already mentioned most of the kids from there walked to the Kearny Pool. In fact it was a shorter walk for them than it was for me. The Kearny pool was very convenient for the kids from the 'projects' better known as THE GARDENS a very good place to live. I lived there for years.