Kearny Soup Kitchen

Guest Fortune Teller

Guest Fortune Teller

In last week's Observer there was an article about how the town is considering opening a soup kitchen or food truck for the homeless. I think this is a bad idea. The article said that there are approximately 3 homeless people in Kearny. I think a soup kitchen or truck would increase the number of homeless people who stay in town. Once they catch wind of the new location, it would not surprise me if a large number of homeless migrate over to Kearny instead of using the kitchens across the bridge in Newark. The vast majority of these people are not homeless because they invested in the wrong tech stocks, they're homeless because they are substance abusers. With an increase in substance abusers roaming the streets you can expect to see an increase in crimes committed to fund the purchase of those substances. I didn't read any reactions to that article and I was wondering if newspaper readers glazed right over it. I applaud the politicians senses of charity, but I feel that this has the potential to turn into a disaster.

Substance abuse is a bonafide medical disability. Just ask any fireman in the state (no matter what town it is) in NJ or what age they are who got arrested or tested positive for drugs. They get 40% of their salary and medical benefits for life courtesy of the taxpayers. Thats the best deal I ever heard. So stop the nonsense and realize that not everyone in Newark or the rest of the country is as blameless for the nations problems as you are.

Guest Fortune Teller
Substance abuse is a bonafide medical disability. Just ask any fireman in the state (no matter what town it is) in NJ or what age they are who got arrested or tested positive for drugs. They get 40% of their salary and medical benefits for life courtesy of the taxpayers. Thats the best deal I ever heard. So stop the nonsense and realize that not everyone in Newark or the rest of the country is as blameless for the nations problems as you are.

No nonsense, I'd say I'm pretty much 100% blameless for the nation's problems.

Guest Guest 99
In last week's Observer there was an article about how the town is considering opening a soup kitchen or food truck for the homeless.  I think this is a bad idea.  The article said that there are approximately 3 homeless people in Kearny.  I think a soup kitchen or truck would increase the number of homeless people who stay in town.  Once they catch wind of the new location, it would not surprise me if a large number of homeless migrate over to Kearny instead of using the kitchens across the bridge in Newark.  The vast majority of these people are not homeless because they invested in the wrong tech stocks, they're homeless because they are substance abusers.  With an increase in substance abusers roaming the streets you can expect to see an increase in crimes committed to fund the purchase of those substances.  I didn't read any reactions to that article and I was wondering if newspaper readers glazed right over it.  I applaud the politicians senses of charity, but I feel that this has the potential to turn into a disaster.

As you can see from this quote from The Observer, Oct.20, the program would not be only for the homeless:

"Barbara Cifelli-Sherry said she plans to talk with her Kearny Town Council colleagues and Mayor Al Santos about finding municipal money to start a food distribution service. The direction came after discussing the needs of Kearny’s homeless, indigent or at-risk population at an Oct. 13 meeting at the Salvation Army."

While I find it admirable that Councilwoman Cifelli-Sherry has a concern for others, and I have no issues with donating to the charities of my choice, I strongly disagree with the concept of using municipal funds in this manner. It is simply another entitlement program, dictated by politicians and funded by the taxpayer, with no input asked from us and with no opt-out provisions.

Also, it really doesn't matter to me why these people are in the position they are in. Just give me the options to help or not help based on my needs and the needs of my family. Charity is good, mandated entitlement is not.

If the citizens of Kearny want a program of this type, they will start one and support it. Do you want it??

Guest Chunky beats Progresso
Why would a soup kitchen open to feed only three people? There must be more if they want to do something that major? Don't you think....

Sure ---- there will be lots of govt. money coming in to skim and lots of jobs for relatives to run the thing.

Just think of it-

Co-Ordinater of Chicken Noodle (3 hours a day) 50,000 a year

Procurement official---(run to the Shop-Rite for some Lentil) 50,000 a year

Packager of expediating parcels (wrap the stuff up and get them out) 50,000

Operating engineer (somebody has to open the Clam Chowder) 50,000

This is to good of an opportunity to pass up!!!!

Guest Rusty Trombone

How about we create a supercenter for degenerates. It would combine all of the Town's top annoyances like a Walmart combines different kinds of merchandise. It could be a laundromat, internet cafe (AKA Bloods gang recruitment center), dollar store, and late night corner coffee shop for juvenile drug offenders all rolled into one. Then we could give it a name that no English speakers understand or maybe just make it a foreign twist on an all-American concept -- like Hot Dogao.

Why would a soup kitchen open to feed only three people?  There must be more if they want to do something that major?  Don't you think....

Sure ---- there will be lots of govt. money coming in to skim and lots of jobs for relatives to run the thing.

Just think of it-

But can I get a good Pasta Fagoli??

They should add to the displaced the folks who have homes that are not livable in every time it rains. They already have food, they just don't need any more water. FIX THE PROBLEM.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does every subject, no matter what it is, turn into a slam on the fire or police departments? Can't you think of anything to say on the actual subject beging discussed?

• 2 months later...

Oh Please people! I think most churches give out food, maybe one could use the kitchen for those with no home. Have some heart.

And FYI St. Cecilia's pantry is low on food if anyone wants to donate funds OR non-perishables.

I turned off the PC, and now here to retract my previous post.

Should there be a soup kitchen? No. I was just told there's one over the bridge, if your hungry enough they will go there....It just occurred to me what the town will attract. My other post was before coffee (:

As I said , Saints and the Salvation Army give out bags of food to the needy.

In last week's Observer there was an article about how the town is considering opening a soup kitchen or food truck for the homeless.  I think this is a bad idea.  The article said that there are approximately 3 homeless people in Kearny.  I think a soup kitchen or truck would increase the number of homeless people who stay in town.  Once they catch wind of the new location, it would not surprise me if a large number of homeless migrate over to Kearny instead of using the kitchens across the bridge in Newark.  The vast majority of these people are not homeless because they invested in the wrong tech stocks, they're homeless because they are substance abusers.  With an increase in substance abusers roaming the streets you can expect to see an increase in crimes committed to fund the purchase of those substances.  I didn't read any reactions to that article and I was wondering if newspaper readers glazed right over it.  I applaud the politicians senses of charity, but I feel that this has the potential to turn into a disaster.

As you can see from this quote from The Observer, Oct.20, the program would not be only for the homeless:

"Barbara Cifelli-Sherry said she plans to talk with her Kearny Town Council colleagues and Mayor Al Santos about finding municipal money to start a food distribution service. The direction came after discussing the needs of Kearny’s homeless, indigent or at-risk population at an Oct. 13 meeting at the Salvation Army."

While I find it admirable that Councilwoman Cifelli-Sherry has a concern for others, and I have no issues with donating to the charities of my choice, I strongly disagree with the concept of using municipal funds in this manner. It is simply another entitlement program, dictated by politicians and funded by the taxpayer, with no input asked from us and with no opt-out provisions.

Also, it really doesn't matter to me why these people are in the position they are in. Just give me the options to help or not help based on my needs and the needs of my family. Charity is good, mandated entitlement is not.

If the citizens of Kearny want a program of this type, they will start one and support it. Do you want it??

:o It is not up to the citizens of kearny to feed the homeless.This is a bad idea,we have enough going on in this town now.Give the police and fire a new contract for staters,find jobs for the homeless. Let them work like everyone else.

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Sherry
Oh Please people! I think most churches give out food, maybe one could use the kitchen for those with no home. Have some heart.

And FYI St. Cecilia's pantry is low on food if anyone wants to donate funds OR non-perishables.

Just to clarify the "soup kitchen" situation, please note that the Observer story regarding a soup kitchen patterned after St. John's was based on erroneous information. I wrote a follow -up letter to the editor explaining that we, in Kearny, can document only a handful of truly homeless, so we have neither the need nor the resources for such a facility. However there are also several other temporarily displaced people (the number naturally fluctuates) who are now being fed by a network of private agencies such as churches and service organizations. All we proposed to do is to bring these people indoors to eat the bag lunches provided by the network. The Salvation Army has been engaged in talks to provide such a space. We have also requested funds and non-perishables from the county to augment the program since most of the pastors use their own money and are running short of supplies.

Please be assured, we are not opening the bridges and inviting the homeless from other areas to come to Kearny. We are simply trying to find a viable, compassionate way in which to better deliver an already existing service to those in our community who are in need. Bottom line: in this country, in our town, no one should go hungry even if their circumstances are of their own making.

what have you done for us ever?

Duh! How could I possibly know if anything I've done over the last 7+ years has had any effect on you, if I don't know who you are? C'mon out of the shadows; walk on the wild side; summon up some courage and sign your name, Braveheart. It'll make you feel like a grown-up.

what have you done for us ever?

Duh! How could I possibly know if anything I've done over the last 7+ years has had any effect on you, if I don't know who you are? C'mon out of the shadows; walk on the wild side; summon up some courage and sign your name, Braveheart. It'll make you feel like a grown-up.

Real Intelligent

Why would a soup kitchen open to feed only three people?  There must be more if they want to do something that major?  Don't you think....

Just think of it-

Sorry to disappoint you, but the program is run by private agencies like churches. The County is providing the whopping sum of $2500.00 to defray expenses. The funds go directly from Hudson County Office of Human Services to the Salvation Army. (We all know what a subversive organization that is!) The SA director, Captain Myron Smith, is the trustee in charge of dispensing the money, so it's his relatives you need to watch out for. Gosh, the truth is boring!!!

Guest Kearny Resident

Has any of the council members spoke to the church right next door. They have a soup kitchen that feeds the homeless. Why would we need two soup kitchens to feed three people???????????? Big waste of money opening a new one when there is already one in place. Walk next door council people see what is going on in town.

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Cifelli-She
So, you're saying this is a good thing for Kearny? I say keep 'em where they are. We have bigger problems with our own reisdents.

Why are you not getting this? It's very simple. We are not entertaining the idea of bringing in homeless from other areas. You say, " Leave them where they are." THEY ARE HERE. The people we are discussing are people whose present or last documented address is in Kearny. They are already (for quite some time) being serviced by local churches and service organizations. The fact that you were unaware of this is only proof that this program has been operating discreetly and effectively without bringing undue attention to the situation or disturbing the status quo. If Walter Elliot, formerly of the Observer, had not distorted our efforts to assist the beleaguered groups who supply food to the needy, you would not be commenting on it now.

A society is judged by the way in which it treats the most vulnerable of its members. "Whatsoever you do for the least of my brethren, this you do unto me." Quess who said that, all you Christians out there.

Shame on you.

Archived