Shooting in Kearny

Guest Guest

Seems the rumors are true. Observer reports there were shots fired at Quick Check.

http://thecanessacorner.blogspot.com/

This is truly shocking--I saw those pictures...it's weird. I mean...it's kind of a surreal feeling to hear about this happening at a place I don't uncommonly go to for a snack or something.

With the Paszkiewicz incident...then a Kearny resident being the only one in Hudson County to be arrested for trying to molest a child in that Perverted Justice sting...and now this...it just makes me wonder just what the F**K (censor it if you want, i don't care) has happened to this town. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. :lol:

:(

Seems the rumors are true. Observer reports there were shots fired at Quick Check.

http://thecanessacorner.blogspot.com/

Recent update: http://thecanessacorner.blogspot.com/2007/...k-shooting.html

Deputy Chief of Investigations James J. Corbett today gave the following (updated) account of events leading up to Saturday morning’s shooting at the Kearny Quick Chek.

Prior to the shots being fired, Corbett says people from three cars — two parked on Kearny Avenue and one parked in the Quick Chek lot — were involved in some sort of altercation. The youths who were involved, according to Corbett, are believed to hail from Newark and Kearny.

As the altercation happened, one of the youths threw a bottle into the Quick Chek parking lot, at which time those who were involved temporarily dispersed.

The car parked in the lot was believed to have traveled the wrong way down Windsor Street. That same car then returned to the area of Bergen and Kearny avenues, made a U-turn and discharged one of the passengers.

The person who was discharged from the car is believed to have fired four shots into the area of Quick Chek. He then returned to the car he had been in, which was waiting for him near Bergen and Kearny avenues. The car then disappeared to an unknown location.

In total, Corbett says he believes there were 12 to 13 people involved in the incident in total. Two of the suspects were described as Hispanic men and one was described as a black man. No further description was available. However, Corbett did say the altercation was not random.

Corbett says he and detectives are looking at surveillance videos taken that morning at Quick Chek. Five extra detectives were called into work the investigation Saturday, according to Corbett. Police continue to investigate leads on the case, Corbett says.

Anyone with information about the shooting should call the Kearny Police Department at 201-998-1313.

Guest Senior Kearny Resident
Recent update: http://thecanessacorner.blogspot.com/2007/...k-shooting.html
Deputy Chief of Investigations James J. Corbett today gave the following (updated) account of events leading up to Saturday morning’s shooting at the Kearny Quick Chek.

Prior to the shots being fired, Corbett says people from three cars — two parked on Kearny Avenue and one parked in the Quick Chek lot — were involved in some sort of altercation. The youths who were involved, according to Corbett, are believed to hail from Newark and Kearny.

As the altercation happened, one of the youths threw a bottle into the Quick Chek parking lot, at which time those who were involved temporarily dispersed.

The car parked in the lot was believed to have traveled the wrong way down Windsor Street. That same car then returned to the area of Bergen and Kearny avenues, made a U-turn and discharged one of the passengers.

The person who was discharged from the car is believed to have fired four shots into the area of Quick Chek. He then returned to the car he had been in, which was waiting for him near Bergen and Kearny avenues. The car then disappeared to an unknown location.

In total, Corbett says he believes there were 12 to 13 people involved in the incident in total. Two of the suspects were described as Hispanic men and one was described as a black man. No further description was available. However, Corbett did say the altercation was not random.

Corbett says he and detectives are looking at surveillance videos taken that morning at Quick Chek. Five extra detectives were called into work the investigation Saturday, according to Corbett. Police continue to investigate leads on the case, Corbett says.

Anyone with information about the shooting should call the Kearny Police Department at 201-998-1313.

Question of the day........Why does Strife think she has provide us with old information, she does realize we have computers ?? DUH !!

Question of the day........Why does Strife think she has provide us with old information, she does realize we have computers ?? DUH !!

Okay, first of all, old information? I do believe I made the post less than an hour after it appeared on Canessa's blog. Just because it takes hours and hours for it to pop up on this forum doesn't make the delay my fault (and even still, since when is one day enough for something to be "old" already?).

Secondly, your bias is showing. I'm not the person who started the topic, yet I'm the one whose throat you jump down. Why don't you drop the pretense and just admit you're looking for things to bash me with? At least be honest about your immaturity.

Thirdly, to refute the tiny point you made at the end--just because someone has technology doesn't mean they really use it. After all, how many people on this forum alone, with all the information the Internet gives access to, were still arguing ridiculous things like "evolution is a function of pure chance" just a few months ago?

Guest Guest
Okay, first of all, old information? I do believe I made the post less than an hour after it appeared on Canessa's blog. Just because it takes hours and hours for it to pop up on this forum doesn't make the delay my fault (and even still, since when is one day enough for something to be "old" already?).

Secondly, your bias is showing. I'm not the person who started the topic, yet I'm the one whose throat you jump down. Why don't you drop the pretense and just admit you're looking for things to bash me with? At least be honest about your immaturity.

Thirdly, to refute the tiny point you made at the end--just because someone has technology doesn't mean they really use it. After all, how many people on this forum alone, with all the information the Internet gives access to, were still arguing ridiculous things like "evolution is a function of pure chance" just a few months ago?

It's about time everyone grows up and moves on from the whole issue that's caused so many continuing problems for people in Kearny. Thank you Strife, for posting this. I had no idea it happened, and since I only receive the Observer on Wednesdays (I'm assuming like everyone else) I was not aware of the situation.

Guest Guest

I find it interesting that the Observer Story is a LOT different than what is on Canessa's Blog..He HAD statements from the Day Commander of the Det Bureau, as well as the Overall commander..but he's STILL whining about the Chief not calling him back?? Sounds more like Kevvie has some personal beef with Dowie than KPD being "Silent" about the shooting. Maybe if Canessa could possibly get things RIGHT once in a while (Like quotes, or even street names in his OWN Town) the chief might take him a little more seriously.

Guest Guest
It's about time everyone grows up and moves on from the whole issue that's caused so many continuing problems for people in Kearny. Thank you Strife, for posting this. I had no idea it happened, and since I only receive the Observer on Wednesdays (I'm assuming like everyone else) I was not aware of the situation.

Well said, Strife takes alot of slack for saying what we're all (most of us) are thinking. I did not know about the shooting until I logged onto this site. There's so much going on lately, with the Dunkin Donuts incident, the gas station attendant attack, now a shooting! What the Hell is going on??? I think with the rise in violence, we should be trying to come together for a solution.

You're quite welcome. :blink:

Guest Guest

The stories are different because the paper gets printed Monday night. When theres a shooting in town, the cheif SHOULD say something. As a resdient, I would of liked to hear from him. Of course, like most Kearny cops Dowie was probably lookin t o find ways to cover things up and keep things quiet like every other time something violent happened here.Since you know who the day commander was of the Det. Bureau, sounds like you must be a frustrated socalled cop.

I find it interesting that the Observer Story is a LOT different than what is on Canessa's Blog..He HAD statements from the Day Commander of the Det Bureau, as well as the Overall commander..but he's STILL whining about the Chief not calling him back??  Sounds more like Kevvie has some personal beef with Dowie than KPD being "Silent" about the shooting.  Maybe if Canessa could possibly get things RIGHT once in a while (Like quotes, or even street names in his OWN Town) the chief might take him a little more seriously.

Guest Guest

How is he a run down little man? I for one would like to know. Maybe we should all just read the Kearny journal. They always have good stories about kearny.

C'mon, give Kevvie a break. He's a rundown little man working for a rundown little newspaper. You can't expect much from him.

Guest Guest
The stories are different because the paper gets printed Monday night. When theres a shooting in town, the cheif SHOULD say something. As a resdient, I would of liked to hear from him. Of course, like most Kearny cops Dowie was probably lookin t o find ways to cover things up and keep things quiet like every other time something violent happened here.Since you know who the day commander was of the Det. Bureau, sounds like you must be a frustrated socalled cop.

#1 The Chief has designees to make statements for him..it's called "Delegation" The internet, and the Dictionary are your friends learn to use them.

#2 Here's a thought..try ASKING the PD questions..then you too might know things about who the Daytime Cmdr of the detectives are.. Most of the cops here are rather friendly people..unless of course you act like a D*ck..not that YOU would have that problem. :)

#3 "Socalled Cop"???...sounds like SOMEONE didnt pass the test.. jealous much? Considering the attitudes of the people who post here, im glad im NOT a Kearny Cop, because if i were, i'd be hard pressed to be willing to put MY life on the line for an idiot like you. Let me guess..you're one of the ones who complain that they drive too fast...until they're more than 30 seconds coming to answer YOUR call..then they're lazy and slow...right?

Guest Guest

I must say this news is making my blood boil!!! Strife, thanks for the updates. What happened to the nice little town Kearny used to be? Where are all the cops in Kearny? To think, most of this crime that happens, looks like it is a couple of block radius. Quick Chek, Dunkin Donuts, Eckerd Drug Store... Come on this has to say something. It's a shame when an elderly citizen who has lived in Kearny there whole life walks on Kearny Ave. from Bergan to the library, and gets harrassed by a bunch of low lifes who think they own the street and sidewalks. These are not kids who call Kearny home, it's the ones that come over from Newark and Jersey City, because of the trash that invite them. They like it and stay, because they don't have the cops down on them like they do in the inner cities....... Someone has to put a stop to all this violence and crime in our town. Regular law abiding people can't even walk down the street anymore, cause if the thugs that rule the streets and sidewalks don't like the looks of you, they harrass you, and call you names. Kearny is not the ghetto, and I say send all the trash back to where it came from and maybe, just maybe things in Kearny will look better to middle working class people instead of low life immigrants.... Yes, I say immigrants, because we didn't have these problems or crimes until they started coming in droves from their stinking countries.

I agree with this post...

I must say this news is making my blood boil!!! Strife, thanks for the updates.  What happened to the nice little town Kearny used to be?  Where are all the cops in Kearny?  To think, most of this crime that happens, looks like it is a couple of block radius.  Quick Chek, Dunkin Donuts, Eckerd Drug Store... Come on this has to say something.  It's a shame when an elderly citizen who has lived in Kearny there whole life walks on Kearny Ave. from Bergan to the library, and gets harrassed by a bunch of low lifes who think they own the street and sidewalks.  These are not kids who call Kearny home, it's the ones that come over from Newark and Jersey City, because of the trash that invite them. They like it and stay, because they don't have the cops down on them like they do in the inner cities.......  Someone has to put a stop to all this violence and crime in our town.  Regular law abiding people can't even walk down the street anymore, cause if the thugs that rule the streets and sidewalks don't like the looks of you, they harrass you, and call you names.

Until here. :)

Kearny is not the ghetto, and I say send all the trash back to where it came from and maybe, just maybe things in Kearny will look better to middle working class people instead of low life immigrants....  Yes, I say immigrants, because we didn't have these problems or crimes until they started coming in droves from their stinking countries.

I can't believe people like this still even exist. It's the 21st century, for crying out loud! What is wrong with you? Newsflash, buddy: we're ALL immigrants. Only difference is how far back our families arrived. But even if that weren't true, this is still one fu**ked up sentiment here.

Immigration is not the problem. Crime can happen anywhere, and it's more dictated by lower education and stuff like that. Just look at this:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

In 2005, the safest city in the COUNTRY was Brick Township right here in NJ. But Camden was the 5th MOST DANGEROUS in that same year! And those two towns are less than 70 miles away from each other! Not to mention that it's the safer city that's closer to Newark etc., the places that have a bad reputation for this sort of thing. Now, how could that be, by your logic?

Simple: your logic makes no sense. Stop being racist and don't blame crime on ethnicity. People like you make me sick.

Guest Guest

Your post actually made a lot of sense until you made the ignorant comment about immigrants. Wake up and smell the coffee...Kearny is filled with hard-working, underpaid immigrants and it has been for years. Just because 1 or 2 people that are not from Kearny, that happen to be immigrants, go and shoot a gun, doesn't give you the right to classify a whole group of people.

I've lived in Kearny my entire life and my parents are immigrants who worked really hard to bring me up. I was shocked to hear about a shooting and about some other incidents that have happened recently. It's quite a shame and I agree that something should be done. For one thing, the school system's budget has been cut an innumerable number of times, leaving less funds for the town schools. More money needs to be put into education and getting these kids off the street and hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I must say this news is making my blood boil!!! Strife, thanks for the updates. What happened to the nice little town Kearny used to be? Where are all the cops in Kearny? To think, most of this crime that happens, looks like it is a couple of block radius. Quick Chek, Dunkin Donuts, Eckerd Drug Store... Come on this has to say something. It's a shame when an elderly citizen who has lived in Kearny there whole life walks on Kearny Ave. from Bergan to the library, and gets harrassed by a bunch of low lifes who think they own the street and sidewalks. These are not kids who call Kearny home, it's the ones that come over from Newark and Jersey City, because of the trash that invite them. They like it and stay, because they don't have the cops down on them like they do in the inner cities....... Someone has to put a stop to all this violence and crime in our town. Regular law abiding people can't even walk down the street anymore, cause if the thugs that rule the streets and sidewalks don't like the looks of you, they harrass you, and call you names. Kearny is not the ghetto, and I say send all the trash back to where it came from and maybe, just maybe things in Kearny will look better to middle working class people instead of low life immigrants.... Yes, I say immigrants, because we didn't have these problems or crimes until they started coming in droves from their stinking countries.

Guest Guest
I agree with this post...

Until here. :)

I can't believe people like this still even exist. It's the 21st century, for crying out loud! What is wrong with you? Newsflash, buddy: we're ALL immigrants. Only difference is how far back our families arrived. But even if that weren't true, this is still one fu**ked up sentiment here.

Immigration is not the problem. Crime can happen anywhere, and it's more dictated by lower education and stuff like that. Just look at this:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

In 2005, the safest city in the COUNTRY was Brick Township right here in NJ. But Camden was the 5th MOST DANGEROUS in that same year! And those two towns are less than 70 miles away from each other! Not to mention that it's the safer city that's closer to Newark etc., the places that have a bad reputation for this sort of thing. Now, how could that be, by your logic?

Simple: your logic makes no sense. Stop being racist and don't blame crime on ethnicity. People like you make me sick.

I CERTAINLY AM NOT RACIST. I TOO COME FROM A FAMILY OF IMMIGRANTS, BUT MY IMMIGRANT FAMILY HAD TO ADAPT TO THE RULES AND LAWS OF THE USA. THINK BACK 25 YEARS, IF YOU ARE A TRUE KEARNYITE, DID THEY HAVE DRIVE BY SHOOTINGS? MUGGINGS ON THE AVE? OLD LADIES GETTING BEAT UP, OR PUNK KIDS SAYING SHIT TO ELDERLY PEOPLE WALKING DOWN THE STREET? YOU MAKE ME SICK, BECAUSE KEARNY CERTAINLY HAS CHANGED, AND FOR THE WORSE CAUSE WE ALLOWED IT TO HAPPEN. OUR IMMIGRANT FAMILIES BROKE THEIR BACKS AND ABIDED BY THE LAWS OF OUR LAND, SO DON'T TELL ME ABOUT BEING RACIST. IT'S THESE LOW LIFES WHO COME FROM NEWARK AND JC, THAT THINK THEY WANT A BETTER LIFE IN SUBURBIA, BUT ONLY TO CHANGE OUR TOWN INTO A NEW NEWARK OR JC. IF YOU CALL THAT RACIST, THEN SO BE IT, BECAUSE I WILL NEVER ACCEPT AN IMMIGRANT IF THEY THINK WE OWE THEM SOMETHING, CAUSE WE DON'T... JUST REMEMBER IT'S OUR COUNTRY AND WE ALLOWED THEM TO COME HERE, NOW LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO OUR LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO S**K AN EGG!!!!

STRIFE--"GET A LIFE"

Guest Guest

Your post actually made a lot of sense until you made the ignorant comment about immigrants. Wake up and smell the coffee...Kearny is filled with hard-working, underpaid immigrants and it has been for years. Just because 1 or 2 people that are not from Kearny, that happen to be immigrants, go and shoot a gun, doesn't give you the right to classify a whole group of people.

I've lived in Kearny my entire life and my parents are immigrants who worked really hard to bring me up. I was shocked to hear about a shooting and about some other incidents that have happened recently. It's quite a shame and I agree that something should be done. For one thing, the school system's budget has been cut an innumerable number of times, leaving less funds for the town schools. More money needs to be put into education and getting these kids off the street and hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Oh Please, the Board of Ed gets HALF of the Tax revenues now!! it used to be split pretty evenmy into thirds, 1/3 each for the BoE, County and Town Budget, now it/s more along the lines of 50%, 30%, 20% respectively.

I CERTAINLY AM NOT RACIST.  I TOO COME FROM A FAMILY OF IMMIGRANTS, BUT MY IMMIGRANT FAMILY HAD TO ADAPT TO THE RULES AND LAWS OF THE USA.  THINK BACK 25 YEARS, IF YOU ARE A TRUE KEARNYITE,

So I'm not a true "Kearnyite" (I believe the term generally used is "Kearnian") if I'm younger than 25 years old? ;)

DID THEY HAVE DRIVE BY SHOOTINGS? MUGGINGS ON THE AVE? OLD LADIES GETTING BEAT UP, OR PUNK KIDS SAYING SHIT TO ELDERLY PEOPLE WALKING DOWN THE STREET?  YOU MAKE ME SICK, BECAUSE KEARNY CERTAINLY HAS CHANGED, AND FOR THE WORSE CAUSE WE ALLOWED IT TO HAPPEN.

So, I make you sick because Kearny has changed? And where did I say Kearny hasn't changed? In fact I've expressed exactly the OPPOSITE sentiment, wondering aloud "what the F**K happened to this town." You must have missed that post.

OUR IMMIGRANT FAMILIES BROKE THEIR BACKS AND ABIDED BY THE LAWS OF OUR LAND, SO DON'T TELL ME ABOUT BEING RACIST.

"Yes, I say immigrants, because we didn't have these problems or crimes until they started coming in droves from their stinking countries." <-- If you said this, I will call you racist up and down, and I'll be right. If not, then why the hell are you accusing me of anything?

IT'S THESE LOW LIFES WHO COME FROM NEWARK AND JC, THAT THINK THEY WANT A BETTER LIFE IN SUBURBIA, BUT ONLY TO CHANGE OUR TOWN INTO A NEW NEWARK OR JC.

What does this have to do with immigration? You're a very confusing person...

IF YOU CALL THAT RACIST, THEN SO BE IT, BECAUSE I WILL NEVER ACCEPT AN IMMIGRANT IF THEY THINK WE OWE THEM SOMETHING, CAUSE WE DON'T...

I don't think we do either.

JUST REMEMBER IT'S OUR COUNTRY AND WE ALLOWED THEM TO COME HERE, NOW LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO OUR LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GO S**K AN EGG!!!!

STRIFE--"GET A LIFE"

Remember, kids, the more exclamation points your sentence ends with, the more right you are. ;)

Guest Guest
So I'm not a true "Kearnyite" (I believe the term generally used is "Kearnian") if I'm younger than 25 years old? :P

So, I make you sick because Kearny has changed? And where did I say Kearny hasn't changed? In fact I've expressed exactly the OPPOSITE sentiment, wondering aloud "what the F**K happened to this town." You must have missed that post.

"Yes, I say immigrants, because we didn't have these problems or crimes until they started coming in droves from their stinking countries." <-- If you said this, I will call you racist up and down, and I'll be right. If not, then why the hell are you accusing me of anything?

What does this have to do with immigration? You're a very confusing person...

I don't think we do either.

Remember, kids, the more exclamation points your sentence ends with, the more right you are. :lol:

STRIFE NEEDS TO STAY OFF THIS SITE! HE OR SHE, OR HE-SHE WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL YOURSELF ARE A PATHETICE PERSON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE, AND STOP BUTTING INTO OTHER PEOPLES CONVERSATION.

STRIFE NEEDS TO STAY OFF THIS SITE!

Three guesses who doesn't care, first two don't count. I have as much the privilege to be here as you do to whine in all caps.

HE OR SHE, OR HE-SHE WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL YOURSELF

I'm more insulted that you thought such a stupid comment would offend me.

ARE A PATHETICE PERSON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE, AND STOP BUTTING INTO OTHER PEOPLES CONVERSATION.

ALL CAPS != coherence/correctness.

Your spelling is "pathetice," among other things I'm sure. Can you explain, in detail, what led you to this obviously well thought-out conclusion? In coherent, properly capitalized English, if you're capable.

Also, did you not just "butt in" to say this? Hypocrite.

Guest 2smart4u
STRIFE NEEDS TO STAY OFF THIS SITE!  HE OR SHE, OR HE-SHE WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL YOURSELF ARE A PATHETICE PERSON WHO NEEDS TO GET A LIFE, AND STOP BUTTING INTO OTHER PEOPLES CONVERSATION.

Strifey has no social life. If you notice she's on KOTW every night, so she doesn't date or have any friends. Of course, if you read her endless diatribes on every conceivable subject, it's easy to understand how she'd drive any friend crazy.

Strifey has no social life.

One of us won't stop bitching about someone they've never met. Tell me again which of us lacks a social life? :P

If you notice she's on KOTW every night,

Bzzt, wrong.

so she doesn't date or have any friends.

lol, I recently celebrated one year in my current relationship. Wouldn't want to break that streak of always being wrong, huh? B)

Of course, if you read her endless diatribes on every conceivable subject,

I didn't realize the handful of threads on this forum covered "every conceivable subject." Perhaps your ability to "conceive" is just a lot more limited than mine. ;)

it's easy to understand how she'd drive any friend crazy.

You are such a joke. :lol:

Guest seeyaincourt
I find it interesting that the Observer Story is a LOT different than what is on Canessa's Blog..He HAD statements from the Day Commander of the Det Bureau, as well as the Overall commander..but he's STILL whining about the Chief not calling him back??  Sounds more like Kevvie has some personal beef with Dowie than KPD being "Silent" about the shooting.  Maybe if Canessa could possibly get things RIGHT once in a while (Like quotes, or even street names in his OWN Town) the chief might take him a little more seriously.

Nothing but false and fraudulent information is obtained there anyway