Constructive suggestions for the mayor

Guest Paul

Broadsides have been leveled against the mayor and the council. I read them as cheap shots, and neither constructive nor productive.

I'm opening this topic to invite those who are critical of the town's policies to propose specific alternatives. Let's see what we come up with.

Guest 50yr Kearny taxpayer

This is plan and extremely simple, my mother always said "Take care of those who take care of you " I think that is a very smart idea, this pertains to the men and women who work for the town. If I were an employee who worked to my highest potential for the town, (keeping the streets clean, making sure all of the towns parks and grounds were in good condition and all of the other town services were taken care of), also the police and fire depts., then I think that they deserve to have their contracts settled at the time they come up for renewal, not three or four years later, when the cost would be a burden to pay out at one time. If we want these people to their job then we should pay them . Also why do we have to pay for the health benefits for the town council, they have full time jobs where they get insurance, also the town attorney these are monies that this town could use to ease our tax burden.

I think it is time to hire a new town administrator, and get someone in there that has the Kearny taxpayer as the number one priority.We have to cut expenses, and the first place we should look is the town council and those people that give only a few hours a month to the town.

We use to get alot more services for our dollar, now the more we give the less we get.

Broadsides have been leveled against the mayor and the council. I read them as cheap shots, and neither constructive nor productive.

I'm opening this topic to invite those who are critical of the town's policies to propose specific alternatives. Let's see what we come up with.

I thought I made a topic about the following, but either it didn't go through, or I got caught up in something else and never finished...

Just a small observation that it seems that much of those "broadsides" came about immediately following my posting of the Mayor's public statement on the Paszkiewicz issue. Wondering if that's a coincidence...but leaning towards 'no,' considering the kind of amazing things posted about Matthew on this forum upon learning about the Paszkiewicz issue.

Guest KearnyKard

A specific alternative that would greatly improve Kearny would be for Paulie to move out of town. I will personally pay for a one-way Grayhound bus ticket.

Guest Guest

Concerning the Contract Issue. I remember a time when a Frehsman Councilman, after the town was hit for Millions of dollarys in back pay, due to the Town's Failure to Negotiate in good faith with the KFD, KPD, and CS-11 for almost 4 years. Upon the settlement of all of those contracts saying, to effect, "Never Again". That lasted until he was Mayor. Vartan and Czech were (and rightly so) Blamed for the HUGE cost to the town because of their attempts at union-breaking. Now, Mayor santos and his own Administrator are in the process of doing the same thing.

This is plan and extremely simple, my mother always said "Take care of those who take care of you " I think that is a very smart idea, this pertains to the men and women who work for the town. If I were an employee who worked to my highest potential for the town, (keeping the streets clean, making sure all of the towns parks and grounds were in good condition and all of the other town services were taken care of), also the police and fire depts.,  then I think that they deserve to have their contracts settled at the time they come up for renewal, not three or four years later, when the cost would be a burden to pay out at one time. If we want these people to their job then we should pay them . Also why do we have to pay for the health benefits for the town council, they have full time jobs where they get insurance, also the town attorney these are monies that this town could use to ease our tax burden.

I think it is time to hire a new town administrator, and get someone in there that has the Kearny taxpayer as the number one priority.We have to cut expenses, and the first place we should look is the town council and those people that give only a few hours a month to the town.

We use to get alot more services for our dollar, now the more we give the less we get.

How much do the council members get paid? How much of that would you cut, and how does that amount compare to the total budget? Are you concerned that a pay cut would result in a lesser quality of council-person. Aside from the expected knee-jerk response, what is the responsible answer?

I've heard many complaints about the town administrator. Have you expressed your dissatisfaction? Maybe you could form a group to do something about it. I get the information second-hand, but I'd be willing to learn more. If it's as bad as some people say it is, I'd be willing to help out to take action.

As for contracts, you make a good point, but (1) why is it happening, (2) what can be done about it and (3) what practical and tangible effects would your proposal have?

Don't get me wrong, at least these are tangible ideas. But that's still not enough. We need concrete solutions, not just broad outlines of what solutions might look like.

Concerning the Contract Issue.  I remember a time when a Frehsman Councilman, after the town was hit for Millions of dollarys in back pay, due to the Town's Failure to Negotiate in good faith with the KFD, KPD, and CS-11 for almost 4 years.  Upon the settlement of all of those contracts saying, to effect, "Never Again".  That lasted until he was Mayor.  Vartan and Czech were (and rightly so) Blamed for the HUGE cost to the town because of their attempts at union-breaking.  Now, Mayor santos and his own Administrator are in the process of doing the same thing.

Can you be more specific? What are the current mayor and administrator doing by way of union-breaking? While we're at it, are you affiliated with the union involved, or with any union? I don't think we're going to get very far in doing anything if the people who raise objections insist on remaining anonymous.

Guest OneLieLeadsToMoreLies

The Mayor and council have to give the guy from Town that the people have been calling a fraud for the past ten years a chance in a courtroom. The Mayor should understand that it is depraved to tell so many lie's about other individuals in order to obtain funds, support or to hinder ones own prosecution. You all never thought that the people paying those bogus legal bills were the embezzeling frauds. PLEASE!

Guest 50yr Kearny Taxpayer

Paul, this is in response to your post, a councilman or womans job is to help the town they live in, come up with ideas that could strengthen and and build the integrity of the town, it is an honor to be elected to this position. But there again they were elected because they had a great political platform. They do not work this job full time, so why should they receive benefits? I could see them receiving a small stipen for their hours of service, but that is it.

Why the mayor and council held these contracts up for years is anyones guess, but I am sure you see my point, if they would have agreed to the contract when it was presented then the employee's would have gotten their raises on time every year until the contract expires. Now, the town has to pay them for three+ years all in one shot, which when you figure it out is killing the town budget, if it was done right the raises would have been included in each years budget, not all come out of one years budget. The monies should have been allocated in a seperate account knowing that this large payment was impending. If I am not making any sense, parden me, I just can't deal with incompetence, when it comes to the incredible tax increase that we received.

Paul, this is in response to your post, a councilman or womans job is to help the town they live in, come up with ideas that could strengthen and and build the integrity of the town, it is an honor to be elected to this position. But there again they were elected because they had a great political platform. They do not work this job full time, so why should they receive benefits? I could see them receiving a small stipen for their hours of service, but that is it.

Why the mayor and council held these contracts up for years is anyones guess, but I am sure you see my point, if they would have agreed to the contract when it was presented then the employee's would have gotten their raises on time every year until the contract expires. Now, the town has to pay them for three+ years all in one shot, which when you figure it out is killing the town budget, if it was done right the raises would have been included in each years budget, not all come out of one years budget. The monies should have been allocated in a seperate account knowing that this large payment was impending. If I am not making any sense, parden me, I just can't deal with incompetence, when it comes to the incredible tax increase that we received.

Your argument makes sense if it's based on the facts. (Of course, the money would have been paid sooner rather than later, so in the end aren't the expenditures the same?) Have you approached the mayor and/or council with your concerns? Have they commented on this criticism? It's a fair one. I'd just like to see the facts and hear the explanation.

Guest 2smart4u
What can be said about such a childish sentiment? How embarassingly immature.

What can be said ?? Well, how about "we are all just about sick of Paulie and wish he would find a different hobby". You're "embarassed" ?? I previously stated you had a peculiar relationship with Paulie, now I'm certain about it. I guess you've been to his house to "explain things " to him ??

Some things never change. People still make comments (that others take as true) that have no basis in fact and are therefore unsupportable.

Fallacy: If I were an employee who worked to my highest potential for the town, (keeping the streets clean, making sure all of the towns parks and grounds were in good condition...

Fact: The parks and grounds have not been maintained by town employees for a few years now.

Fallacy: Also why do we have to pay for the health benefits for the town council, they have full time jobs where they get insurance,...

Fact: Not all members of the Town Council have full time jobs.

Fallacy: I could see them receiving a small stipen for their hours of service, but that is it.

Fact: The small stipend paid to the members of the Town Council doesn't come near paying the costs associated with of being an elected official.

Also, having been a union member for 37 years and an official of the union for over ten years, I can tell you honestly that not all contract delays are the managements doing. I'm not saying this is the case in these negotiations, but what would the taxpayers say if the Mayor and Council agreed to a union demand for a 9% paying raise, a large clothing allowance and all benefits paid for? You can't have your cake and eat it too with larger O&M increases and lower taxes. It just doesn't work out that way.

On the topic of Town Council members working part time I say hockey pucks. If you were involved with the workings of the town you would know that these people put in many hours other than the couple of two hour Council meetings each month that all three of you attend.

Paul, you have asked for specific alternative proposals. Well, let's put the members of the Council on a one year trial at an hourly rate, just like the other town employees, and see what evolves. I can guarentee the taxpayers will not like the results.

Guest 50yr Taxpayer
Your argument makes sense if it's based on the facts. (Of course, the money would have been paid sooner rather than later, so in the end aren't the expenditures the same?) Have you approached the mayor and/or council with your concerns? Have they commented on this criticism? It's a fair one. I'd just like to see the facts and hear the explanation.

According to what I kmow to be true, this contract should have been settled 3 years ago. But the mayor and council wanted to shave down what the union asked for. Look at it this way, 1st year, pay the first percentage, allocate it into the budget, then they would know what they would have to allocate the monies for each year for the length of the contract. If it were put into the budget, then there wouldn't be such a hole to fill, all in one shot. As far as the mayor and council, they had to for see this, if not then they are not as smart as they lead everyone to believe. We can go to the town meetings and voice our opinions and suggestions, but that is exactly what they are OUR opinions and suggestions. I have gone to many town meetings, and I never heard anyone say "Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, it just might be a solution to some of our problems". So that is my answer to you kind person. Most of us rant and rave in our own jobs, when we don't get a raise every year, but these people haven't gotten raises in 3+ years so I can't blame them for their reactions.

What can be said ??  Well, how about  "we are all just about sick of Paulie and wish he would find a different hobby".

http://www.maddox.xmission.com/crybaby.gif

Also, you != everyone.

You're "embarassed" ??

To see people like you, grown adults, acting less mature than the average middle schooler, yes. It's embarassing to share a species with you.

I previously stated you had a peculiar relationship with Paulie, now I'm certain about it.

Considering the sorts of things you're "certain" about, I must say I don't really care.

I guess you've been to his house to "explain things " to him ??

I'd rather not speculate what exactly you mean by that.

According to what I kmow to be true, this contract should have been settled 3 years ago. But the mayor and council wanted to shave down what the union asked for. Look at it this way, 1st year, pay the first percentage, allocate it into the budget, then they would know what they would have to allocate the monies for each year for the length of the contract. If it were put into the budget, then there wouldn't be such a hole to fill, all in one shot. As far as the mayor and council, they had to for see this, if not then they are not as smart as they lead everyone to believe. We can go to the town meetings and voice our opinions and suggestions, but that is exactly what they are OUR opinions and suggestions. I have gone to many town meetings, and I never heard anyone say "Hmm, that sounds like a good idea, it just might be a solution to some of our problems". So that is my answer to you kind person. Most of us rant and rave in our own jobs, when we don't get a raise every year, but these people haven't gotten raises in 3+ years so I can't blame them for their reactions.

So you want the Mayor and Council to accept the unions first offer for every contract? That would go over great with the taxpayers.

Using your theory, the taxpayer would be taxed in 2004, 2005, and 2006 for monies that may be paid out in 2007. You obviously do not understand municipal budget laws mandated by the state or you never would have made that remark. The budgetary process is for one year only and can not be used, by law, as a savings account for future expenditures.

I too have attended many Council meetings and know of suggestions that have been brought up from the audience and have been passed by the Mayor and Council. One that comes to mind immediately is the parking lot behind Mandees. A young man from that neighborhood spoke up at a meeting a few years ago and within six months the town had an agreement with the property owners to allow residents to park overnight. I guess, however, you were not at those meetings, right?

Maybe so, but in the absence of concrete ideas for specific change, I suspect we'll continue paying taxes and Kearny will continue looking pretty much the way it does. I don't see this subject being the source of major improvements in our lives --- small ones maybe, so of course press on.

I think Kearny is a good place to live. It's quiet and only ten miles from Manhattan. I'm not unhappy with the town government, but if others are there are ways to act on it.

Guest 2smart4u
http://www.maddox.xmission.com/crybaby.gif

Also, you != everyone.

To see people like you, grown adults, acting less mature than the average middle schooler, yes. It's embarassing to share a species with you.

Considering the sorts of things you're "certain" about, I must say I don't really care.

I'd rather not speculate what exactly you mean by that.

"Share a species" ?? LOL You may "share a species" among other things with Paulie but leave me out of it, please.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
KOTW, could you explain to me again why trash like this is allowed on this forum?

But yet you yourself wrote yesterday:

"Strife767 Yesterday, 05:52 PM"

EDIT: I knew it, you dishonest scumbag.

P.S. I myself am good friends with someone who was homeschooled through most of high school for a very significant reason.

It is not ok for you to publish your BS here and not give the other person their rights as well. It's call free speach. No name calling intended to be added after that last sentence but I said it aloud. Less you forget.

But yet you yourself wrote yesterday:

"Strife767  Yesterday, 05:52 PM" 

EDIT: I knew it, you dishonest scumbag.

P.S. I myself am good friends with someone who was homeschooled through most of high school for a very significant reason.

It is not ok for you to publish your BS here

BS? They were caught LYING! It's the truth! What would YOU think of someone who tried to spread lies about YOUR family on a public forum? Dishonest? Absolutely! Scumbag? Wouldn't you agree?

On the other hand, the post I was referring to as 'trash' was nothing more than an infantile comment that had nothing to do with anything. Can you REALLY, HONESTLY compare this sophomoric comment to me being pissed at some blatant dishonesty and calling a spade a spade?

P.S. Also, you might want to keep in mind that there is no such thing as free speech on this forum. It's not technically a 'public place,' and KOTW has the right to censor anything and everything it wants to on its own forum.

Guest Guest
So you want the Mayor and Council to accept the unions first offer for every contract? That would go over great with the taxpayers.

Using your theory, the taxpayer would be taxed in 2004, 2005, and 2006 for monies that may be paid out in 2007. You obviously do not understand municipal budget laws mandated by the state or you never would have made that remark. The budgetary process is for one year only and can not be used, by law, as a savings account for future expenditures.

I too have attended many Council meetings and know of suggestions that have been brought up from the audience and have been passed by the Mayor and Council. One that comes to mind immediately is the parking lot behind Mandees. A young man from that neighborhood spoke up at a meeting a few years ago and within six months the town had an agreement with the property owners to allow residents to park overnight. I guess, however, you were not at those meetings, right?

In reply to your reply, if you would just open your mind and put it to some use right now, what I said makes sense, if in Dec. 2004 the contract renwal was accepted after say, 6 months so now they get 3% 1st year, 3.5% 2nd, 4% 3rd, okay now come Jan. 2005 that years budget would include 1st yr. then when the new year comes around again, the dollar amount is already known to put in the new budget, the same for the 3rd yr. I want you to tell me how this doesn't make sense. This new contract w/ employees they are getting three years back pay, that has to be added in this years budget, you can not go back . Now for next years budget they already know how much to allocate for the budget. That is my assertation on the subject.