Another Grab For Your Wallet

Guest mcgressygottogo

Guest mcgressygottogo

Published in the Asbury Park Press 5/18/04

An Asbury Park Press editorial

Is there anything the McGreevey crowd won't do to squeeze every last hard-earned nickel from the citizens of New Jersey?

The latest con game being floated in the name of consumer protection is to consider uncashed gift certificates and cards unclaimed property, similar to what happens with dormant bank accounts. Under Gov. McGreevey's budget proposal, certificates not redeemed for three years would be considered abandoned property and subject to escheat law, which allows the state to "hold" abandoned property until its rightful owner is found.

Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. With a bottle of snake oil in full display, the McGreevey gang says it will be doing consumers a favor by expanding the escheat law because retailers start charging a fee if certificates aren't redeemed promptly.

Ahem. With logic like that, can the proposal to claim a kid's toy if he doesn't use it for three years be far behind? What if you buy jewelry and don't wear it for three years? Will it end up in a state vault?

Then let's talk about administering such a program. Think about the record-keeping, creating a whole new level of bureaucracy in the state office that manages unclaimed property. Think about the costs to business, to keep track of which certificates are outstanding and which are in the hands of the state.

Here's a novel approach. Why not just cancel a gift certificate or card after a certain amount of time and return the money to the person who bought it? Or an even more novel approach -- do nothing.

The one thing we've learned about this administration is that when its people tell you they're trying to do something to help you, make sure you have one hand on your wallet and the other on your money clip. Because the only thing they're trying to help is themselves -- to your money

Guest Radagast

I suppose it was OK that the Republicans spent every last dime in the State Treasury before they crawled out of the majority three years ago. Mc Greevy was forced to make some very unpopular decisions to balance the budget because the Republicans padded it with non-existent revenue and outlandish give aways! Now it's all Mc Greevy's fault?! I just love your logic....

Guest Loki

You claim that it's the Republicans fault, and not McGreevey's. I disagree. The state treasury wasn't in great shape when Whitman took over. Don't mistake my opinion as an acquittal of the Whitman administration, but seriously when was the last time this state was in a strong financial position. The problem is on no ONE administration, but a more endemic problem with NJ politics on BOTH sides of the aisle.

I just love YOUR logic.

Guest Radagast
You claim that it's the Republicans fault, and not McGreevey's. I disagree. The state treasury wasn't in great shape when Whitman took over. Don't mistake my opinion as an acquittal of the Whitman administration, but seriously when was the last time this state was in a strong financial position. The problem is on no ONE administration, but a more endemic problem with NJ politics on BOTH sides of the aisle.

I just love YOUR logic.

At least Mc Greevy has taken the bull by the horns and tried to deal with it. Christe and Co. just kept sweeping it under the rug until the whole mess exploded at the end of the Republican stewardship. Our bond rating was in the toilet and we didn't have enough money to pay for vital State programs.

No Administration in Trenton has ever been perfect, however, for the Republicans to beat up Jim Mc Greevy for fixing a mess that they created, assumes that the voters in NJ have a very short memory. As some new poll numbers are showing, that's not the case. By this time next year, Mc Greevy will be cruising toward re-election.

Guest Guest
You claim that it's the Republicans fault, and not McGreevey's.  I disagree.  The state treasury wasn't in great shape when Whitman took over.  Don't mistake my opinion as an acquittal of the Whitman administration, but seriously when was the last time this state was in a strong financial position.  The problem is on no ONE administration, but a more endemic problem with NJ politics on BOTH sides of the aisle.

I just love YOUR logic.

At least Mc Greevy has taken the bull by the horns and tried to deal with it. Christe and Co. just kept sweeping it under the rug until the whole mess exploded at the end of the Republican stewardship. Our bond rating was in the toilet and we didn't have enough money to pay for vital State programs.

No Administration in Trenton has ever been perfect, however, for the Republicans to beat up Jim Mc Greevy for fixing a mess that they created, assumes that the voters in NJ have a very short memory. As some new poll numbers are showing, that's not the case. By this time next year, Mc Greevy will be cruising toward re-election.

I don't care who is less to blame for my money being sucked clean from my pocket. This is just one more thing that makes no sense. How much money will the state spend trying to make sure my $20 GAP gift card is tracked until every last dime is spent. This is just rediculous!

Guest Loki

To whick I say "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

Actually, that would be you, because I'll never vote for the guy.

Guest openeyes

Is there anything the McGreevey crowd won't do to squeeze every last hard-earned nickel from the citizens of New Jersey?

The latest con game being floated in the name of consumer protection is to consider uncashed gift certificates and cards unclaimed property, similar to what happens with dormant bank accounts. Under Gov. McGreevey's budget proposal, certificates not redeemed for three years would be considered abandoned property and subject to escheat law, which allows the state to "hold" abandoned property until its rightful owner is found.

Talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. With a bottle of snake oil in full display, the McGreevey gang says it will be doing consumers a favor by expanding the escheat law because retailers start charging a fee if certificates aren't redeemed promptly.

Ahem. With logic like that, can the proposal to claim a kid's toy if he doesn't use it for three years be far behind? What if you buy jewelry and don't wear it for three years? Will it end up in a state vault?

Then let's talk about administering such a program. Think about the record-keeping, creating a whole new level of bureaucracy in the state office that manages unclaimed property. Think about the costs to business, to keep track of which certificates are outstanding and which are in the hands of the state.

Here's a novel approach. Why not just cancel a gift certificate or card after a certain amount of time and return the money to the person who bought it? Or an even more novel approach -- do nothing.

The one thing we've learned about this administration is that when its people tell you they're trying to do something to help you, make sure you have one hand on your wallet and the other on your money clip. Because the only thing they're trying to help is themselves -- to your money

Under current law, the value of unused gift certificates is forewarded to the Federal Govt. If the State can lay claim to that money instead, why not?

Guest enough

Under current law, the value of unused gift certificates is forewarded to the Federal Govt. If the State can lay claim to that money instead, why not?

How much money does govt. need to operate? this is crazy! now we have to pay pepole to keep track of this unused money that the state can't use anyway. The feds and the state have people that sit and think up new ways of taxing the working public. I don't care what they say we are over taxed. when will this stop! Just think how much of your pay leaves your hands to the state and feds yearly. think of all the things your familly could have with that money in your pocket. It's not fair. PEOPLE WONDER WHY THEY CAN'T GET AHEAD. I could go on but I have to go to work so I can pay my fair share. :D

Archived