Mayor Santos comments overshadow budget

Guest Townwatch

Guest Town Watch

Sad that the people of Kearny buy into this MAYOR SANTOS, He has done nothihg but increase our property taxes every year he has been the Mayor!!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad that the people of Kearny buy into this MAYOR SANTOS, He has done nothihg but increase our property taxes every year he has been the Mayor!!!!!!

Mayor Santos is one of the finest public servants I have ever known, or known of. He is one of the few who does things because they are right instead of because they are popular. Property taxes are up because that is the amount of money that it takes to pay the bills. People have to get it through their heads that if we want to live in the 21st century, we have to pay taxes. Government is a necessary part of our lives. If we don't stop this incessant whining about every tax in every form, we're not going to be where we need to be.

If "Town Watch" or anyone else wants to make a specific point about waste, corruption causing higher taxes, etc., that's fine and that's productive. But frankly, mere whining about taxes going up without understanding the reasons disserves everyone.

Make you a deal, Town Watch. Express your concerns to the Mayor directly. I'll bet he gives you a solid response, and that if you point out an area where the town can save money and/or lower taxes, he will thank you and push for your proposal to be implemented. Have you tried that?

Guest Guest
Mayor Santos is one of the finest public servants I have ever known, or known of. He is one of the few who does things because they are right instead of because they are popular. Property taxes are up because that is the amount of money that it takes to pay the bills. People have to get it through their heads that if we want to live in the 21st century, we have to pay taxes. Government is a necessary part of our lives. If we don't stop this incessant whining about every tax in every form, we're not going to be where we need to be.

If "Town Watch" or anyone else wants to make a specific point about waste, corruption causing higher taxes, etc., that's fine and that's productive. But frankly, mere whining about taxes going up without understanding the reasons disserves everyone.

Make you a deal, Town Watch. Express your concerns to the Mayor directly. I'll bet he gives you a solid response, and that if you point out an area where the town can save money and/or lower taxes, he will thank you and push for your proposal to be implemented. Have you tried that?

wrong. property taxes are up because this mayor has not ever made one single budget cut. spending jst keeps going up and up and taxes just keep going up and up. make you a deal, Paul. name one thing this mayor has cut to lower taxes. can't do it can ya? you lawyers all stick together.

Guest Town Watch

Want to save money, cut legal services 20% I don't believe he would do that because he is a lawyer. As for Mayor Santos being a fine public servant, I would think anyone who was able to secure a high paying job as clerk to the Hudson County Freeholders certainly gives this the appearance of self interest. Paul, I would have more respect for the Mayor if he would claim to own a home in Kearny and felt the pain of all the hard working property taxpayers who pay into Kearny and want quality services in return. Its sad to say the SANTOS legacy will be, Hired as a high paying county employee, increased taxes every year he was MAYOR and REDUCED TOWN SERVICES.

People have to get it through their heads that if we want to live in the 21st century, we have to pay taxes.

Paul,

You forgot about the part where the Federal tax burden has been shifted to the states & counties over 25 - 30 yrs.

You forgot about the part where the overall tax burden has been shifted to working class families over 25 - 30 yrs.

You forgot that our tax system is no longer progressive, its regressive.

Santos was not president 25 - 30 years ago, but he gets the blame ? WOooha.

Progressive taxation has a long history:

As Jefferson said in a 1785 letter to James Madison, "Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise."

http://rdanafox.blogspot.com/2006/11/tax-r...ddle-class.html

Roger

wrong. property taxes are up because this mayor has not ever made one single budget cut. spending jst keeps going up and up and taxes just keep going up and up. make you a deal, Paul. name one thing this mayor has cut to lower taxes. can't do it can ya? you lawyers all stick together.

It has nothing to do with being a lawyer. I pay taxes here just like you do.

Maybe there are places where the budget should be cut. If you know of any, please say what they are. I know Al Santos, and I believe he would be grateful. But you're not doing that. Your post is just the usual carping about taxes, with not a word what to do about it. Cheap talk like that makes democracy seem like a bad idea.

Attitudes like yours have put our country into an enormous mess. Reflexively blame anyone who increases taxes, then vote in a jackass like Bush who gives your money away to Halliburton and his rich friends while talking about lower taxes. I can remember when people laughed about knee-jerk liberals, but the liberals weren't anywhere near as bad as the knee-jerk pseudo-conservatives today. Good grief, don't you folks ever learn anything?

Guest Guest

What about the 10 Point Plan?

I happen to know of numerous budget cuts over the years because I probably attended more meetings than any seated council member for fifteen years. Unless any of you were in the Council Chambers for those meetings you would not know of these cuts, therefore the posting of misinformation. Now I know you expect me to release this information, but no, it is not my responsibility to keep you informed. That is in your hands and on your shoulders.

And by the way, the Mayor does not have the authority to make cuts in the budget anymore than he has the authority to raise taxes.

Our eternal Mayor controls the School Board, the School District, so why wouldn't he downplay any increases? Property taxes are up because of consistent and perennial increases in the school budget.

Now, he also controls the Planning and Zoning Boards, the Economic Development Board, and he is a great public servant because he also controls the Town Council and can do whatever he pleases, and make things look so great as he pleases. To challenge this wonderful public servant is to take on the wrath of his henchman, the Town Administrator. Let's be real and not naive.

By the way, wasn't his present aide (from day 1) the former President of the Board of Ed; no connection there I would take it?

Yes, want to save money, cut legal services. Why did the Mayor allow all town attorneys to take an increase in billing rates this year? Including his town attorney, and I understand other board attorneys? Mayor not tough on the professionals, since he's one himself; sympathetic to their plight but willing to throw town employees to the sharks as an example of his “toughness”; and what about that increase to his henchman, the Town Administrator?

Fraternize with his fellow colleagues, protect their interests, after all why should the lawyers have to suffer at $125 an hour, give them $140, they deserve to bill more at the taxpayers expense, but the workers who provide services have to be penalized, except for the hangman, the business administrator, who gets his increase. Award who you may, who you want, to your direct benefit, Mr. Mayor, after all they are your kind, not the rest of the populace.

Want to save money, cut legal services 20% I don't believe he would do that because he is a lawyer. As for Mayor Santos being a fine public servant, I would think anyone who was able to secure a high paying job as clerk to the Hudson County Freeholders certainly gives this the appearance of self interest. Paul, I would have more respect for the Mayor if he would claim to own a home in Kearny and felt the pain of all the hard working property taxpayers who pay into Kearny and want quality services in return. Its sad to say the SANTOS legacy will be, Hired as a high paying county employee, increased taxes every year he was MAYOR and REDUCED TOWN SERVICES.

OK, there's a specific proposal: Cut legal services 20%. How much money will that save? What are legal services now, how much money is being spent on them, and where is the money going? What part do you propose to cut, on what basis and with what effect? What services go undone when you do that, if any, and how do you know? You can't just throw out a percentage like this without a rationale.

As for Al's "high-paying job" with the freeholders: He makes a pittance as mayor, and it isn't meant to be a full-time job. Just what is wrong with him having another job so he can eat? If earning enough money to eat is "self-interest," then yes, I suppose Al is self-interested to hold a job.

Cheap potshots don't cut it, so perhaps you'd like to take another crack at a more adequate explanation for your position. Or perhaps you'd like to try living on $7,500 a year.

On the other hand, maybe you're right. I'm no expert in Kearny's finances. However, there is no reason for me to think you're right based on what you've posted so far.

Paul,

You forgot about the part where the Federal tax burden has been shifted to the states & counties over 25 - 30 yrs.

You forgot about the part where the overall tax burden has been shifted to working class families over 25 - 30 yrs.

You forgot that our tax system is no longer progressive, its regressive.

Santos was not president 25 - 30 years ago, but he gets the blame ?  WOooha.

Progressive taxation has a long history:

http://rdanafox.blogspot.com/2006/11/tax-r...ddle-class.html

Roger

Roger, I didn't forget. I just didn't mention it. It blows my mind that people still think Reagan was a great president when all he did was talk about cutting the deficit without actually doing it, and reduce the size of the federal government by increasing the burden on the state and local governments. It served the rich, the poor and the middle class took it in the neck, and most of them don't even realize that he picked their pockets. You're absolutely right.

Just ask Jimmy Mangin!

Yes, Jim does have quite a bit of knowledge about the financial aspects of the town, but what about your opinion? What do you think needs to be done? Paul hit it on the head when he said, "Your post is just the usual carping about taxes, with not a word what to do about it". Unfortunately this attitude of "let the other guy do it" is prevalent in Kearny and many other communities.

If things are as bad as some of you say, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, why then is there no taxpayers organization, no tenants organization, no viable other party challenging for control? No letters to the editor in the Observer and next to zero attendance at Council meetings? The answer is simple. Apathy!

It has nothing to do with being a lawyer. I pay taxes here just like you do.

Maybe there are places where the budget should be cut. If you know of any, please say what they are. I know Al Santos, and I believe he would be grateful. But you're not doing that. Your post is just the usual carping about taxes, with not a word what to do about it. Cheap talk like that makes democracy seem like a bad idea.

Attitudes like yours have put our country into an enormous mess. Reflexively blame anyone who increases taxes, then vote in a jackass like Bush who gives your money away to Halliburton and his rich friends while talking about lower taxes. I can remember when people laughed about knee-jerk liberals, but the liberals weren't anywhere near as bad as the knee-jerk pseudo-conservatives today. Good grief, don't you folks ever learn anything?

That's a sore spot for me. Really pisses me off when people tell me "He's keeping our taxes down".

He's managed to practically double our national debt. Spend and borrow. We're living like drunken sailors on credit. And as a result ever increasing amounts of tax revenue is diverted to pay our national debt interest. Anyone here dumb enough to believe that we're getting a free ride?

Currently our National debt is $8,850,000,000. When he entered office it was $5,700,000,000. In 2006 the government spend 406 billion on national debt interest.

Yes, Jim does have quite a bit of knowledge about the financial aspects of the town, but  what about your opinion? What do you think needs to be done? Paul hit it on the head when he said, "Your post is just the usual carping about taxes, with not a word what to do about it". Unfortunately this attitude of "let the other guy do it" is prevalent in Kearny and many other communities.

If things are as bad as some of you say, and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, why then is there no taxpayers organization, no tenants organization, no viable other party challenging for control? No letters to the editor in the Observer and next to zero attendance at Council meetings? The answer is simple. Apathy!

And if Ron D. is the Ron D. I think he is, our agreement on anything is remarkable.

Guest Town Watch
OK, there's a specific proposal: Cut legal services 20%. How much money will that save? What are legal services now, how much money is being spent on them, and where is the money going? What part do you propose to cut, on what basis and with what effect? What services go undone when you do that, if any, and how do you know? You can't just throw out a percentage like this without a rationale.

As for Al's "high-paying job" with the freeholders: He makes a pittance as mayor, and it isn't meant to be a full-time job. Just what is wrong with him having another job so he can eat? If earning enough money to eat is "self-interest," then yes, I suppose Al is self-interested to hold a job.

Cheap potshots don't cut it, so perhaps you'd like to take another crack at a more adequate explanation for your position. Or perhaps you'd like to try living on $7,500 a year.

On the other hand, maybe you're right. I'm no expert in Kearny's finances. However, there is no reason for me to think you're right based on what you've posted so far.

Spin control is alive and well with the Santos loyalists, Here's the real pot shot, Mayor Santos did everything but denounce Hudson County and its politics and was against Sen Sacco from North Bergen. Mayor AL had a change of heart and now holds Hudson County and Sen Sacco in high reguard now. Is this because he now is on the county payroll and understands the rewards of playing the game??????????? Don't worry about potshots, fill the POTHOLES in Kearny!!!!

Spin control is alive and well with the Santos loyalists, Here's the real pot shot, Mayor Santos did everything but denounce Hudson County and its politics and was against Sen Sacco from North Bergen. Mayor AL had a change of heart and now holds Hudson County and Sen Sacco in high reguard now. Is this because he now is on the county payroll and understands the rewards of playing the game??????????? Don't worry about potshots, fill the POTHOLES in Kearny!!!!

The mayor has done an excellent job on the roads. Belgrove Drive, for example, just underwent a resurfacing, which was done in short order with excellent results.

There's a difference between a pothole and a potshot. Not to mention that the above "response" completely changes the subject and avoids the issue. The question was where to cut the budget. Someone made a suggestion about cutting legal services by 20%, but with no apparent understanding of what that would mean, which services would be cut, how much it would save, etc. The post above is more of the same irresponsible shooting from the hip that anyone who wants to criticize anything can do.

By all means, criticize the mayor and all public officials. But do it responsibly and in a way that leads to some productive outcome. I don't see that in the above post. It's just more blind-sided bashing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Town Watch

There wil be most likely "More For Sale Signs" as a result of yet another PROPERTY TAX INCREASE, which contiunes the string of increased property taxes every year MAYOR SANTOS has been in office. That's a record for Kearny Mayors?? Property Owners thanks to MAYOR SANTOS you just gave MOST of your property rebate back thanks to this MAYOR & COUNCIL.

Thanks for nothing

Guest Guest_taxpayer_*
There wil be most likely "More For Sale Signs" as a result of yet another PROPERTY TAX INCREASE, which contiunes the string of increased property taxes every year MAYOR SANTOS has been in office.  That's a record for Kearny Mayors??  Property Owners thanks to MAYOR SANTOS you just gave MOST of your property rebate back thanks to this MAYOR & COUNCIL.

Thanks for nothing

You are right! Now Santos should step down out of office he is out of control.

Guest Guest
Does anyone who has a complaint actually have alternatives to the current way of doing things, or is this just going to be generic whining? 'Cause if you guys don't have a better idea, you're pretty much wasting your time. You realize that, don't you?

Since when do you need to have an alternative way of doing things to point out something that might be a problem?

Since when do you need to have an alternative way of doing things to point out something that might be a problem?

I'm not saying one is INCAPABLE of seeing a problem with something unless they have a solution--what I am saying is that complaining about it while having no solution (or even an idea for one) is going to be ultimately fruitless, and an exercise in futility.