"I don't make sweeping accusations"

Guest Paul

3. [October 10, 2006, 20:34-20:38 - Paszkiewicz] “I don’t make sweeping accusations, even about figures in history I don’t like.”

a. [October 10, 2006, 7:41-7:48 - Paszkiewicz] “I’m guessing that you’re upset because maybe I’m Republican in my perspective, I’m conservative.”

b. [October 10, 2006, 13:38-13:53 - Paszkiewicz] “But all of that could be ended. I’m the only income earner in my household, and I’ve got four kids. Why? I gotta tell you, because you just don’t like some of these issues and they were raised in class.”

c. [October 10, 2006, 34:19-34:22 - Paszkiewicz] “It’s not even a matter of me not saying some of these. You’re just unhappy with the outcome.”

Uh-huh.

3. [October 10, 2006, 20:34-20:38 - Paszkiewicz] “I don’t make sweeping accusations, even about figures in history I don’t like.”

a. [October 10, 2006, 7:41-7:48 - Paszkiewicz] “I’m guessing that you’re upset because maybe I’m Republican in my perspective, I’m conservative.”

b. [October 10, 2006, 13:38-13:53 - Paszkiewicz] “But all of that could be ended. I’m the only income earner in my household, and I’ve got four kids. Why? I gotta tell you, because you just don’t like some of these issues and they were raised in class.”

c. [October 10, 2006, 34:19-34:22 - Paszkiewicz] “It’s not even a matter of me not saying some of these. You’re just unhappy with the outcome.”

Uh-huh.

The "sweeping accusation" is that Matthew wasn't happy with the outcome?

I guess I can see how it's an accusation. How is it "sweeping"?

Guest vmunchie

Uh-huh.

I find it interesting that you post tid bits of quotes, distort the issue, try to look like a victim and then forget that the very thing you are encouraging your son to do is the thing that will make HIS life more dificult. Have you stopped to think for one second what this is doing to your son's self esteem? It's clear to anyone that has heard even 1% of each side of this issue that Mr. Paszkiewicz is well loved by his students. Yes, there are some students that don't like him.. of course, not everyone likes everyone! You are forgetting that your son has to be around this issue all day long at school, while you have your relief by continuing your life as before. Wouldn't it be wise to counsel your son, to think about what he is doing and decide if he wants to go forward and place himself in the position where he is looked at as the troublemaker (apparently this is not his first cry for attention) or does he want to continue forward presenting himself as a civilized person. Matthew is soon going to be a legal adult. Is this how you want him to deal with issues in his life? What is Matthew going to do when he arrives in college and someone says something that offends him, he won't be able to come crying to you. He'll have to face the issue head on. Do you think that if Matthew had recorded and brought this issue to light from a college classroom, that all of those other people present, who's rights Matthew violated, you think those people would not take legal action against Matthew. I know, law is your business, but is parenting?

I know you are going to come at me full force.. that's your right.. enjoy! But once you have vented, stop and think about what you are doing to your son. You don't have to admit to anyone that you thought about it... but the parent in me, hopes the parent in your does what's best for the child, not your ego!

I find it interesting that you post tid bits of quotes, distort the issue, try to look like a victim and then forget that the very thing you are encouraging your son to do is the thing that will make HIS life more dificult. Have you stopped to think for one second what this is doing to your son's self esteem? It's clear to anyone that has heard even 1% of each side of this issue that Mr. Paszkiewicz is well loved by his students. Yes, there are some students that don't like him.. of course, not everyone likes everyone! You are forgetting that your son has to be around this issue all day long at school, while you have your relief by continuing your life as before. Wouldn't it be wise to counsel your son, to think about what he is doing and decide if he wants to go forward and place himself in the position where he is looked at as the troublemaker (apparently this is not his first cry for attention) or does he want to continue forward presenting himself as a civilized person. Matthew is soon going to be a legal adult. Is this how you want him to deal with issues in his life? What is Matthew going to do when he arrives in college and someone says something that offends him, he won't be able to come crying to you. He'll have to face the issue head on. Do you think that if Matthew had recorded and brought this issue to light from a college classroom, that all of those other people present, who's rights Matthew violated, you think those people would not take legal action against Matthew. I know, law is your business, but is parenting?

I know you are going to come at me full force.. that's your right.. enjoy! But once you have vented, stop and think about what you are doing to your son. You don't have to admit to anyone that you thought about it... but the parent in me, hopes the parent in your does what's best for the child, not your ego!

These are direct quotes. They're not at all distortions.

The only people who oppose Matthew, and are making his life somewhat miserable, are a few people in Kearny. Outside here, he has overwhelming support, respect, admiration and so far two honorary awards, two monetary ones and three offers for summer internships at well-known and well-respected institutions. I've been contacted by someone affiliated with a major university encouraging him to apply there. The accolades come from professionals in many fields, including education, law, science and medicine. They come from people who never heard of Matthew, but admire his stand and his courage. I can already see the growth in my son, as hard as this experience has been. And while you may attempt to spin what has happened to suit what you wish to believe, I asked him many times whether he wanted to call it quits, and he adamantly insisted on continuing because it was the right thing to do. Frankyly, I wish I had his courage.

Not that any of that will matter to you. You guys see what you want to see. The facts don't matter to you.

As for Mr. Paszkiewicz, all that was required was an apology and an acknowledgement. Humility and contrition are Christian virtues, are they not? A few years ago my wife was baby-sitting for a friend. The boy was a bit spoiled and when she wouldn't let him do something, he started to cry and said "you made me cry." My wife's response was "no, you made you cry." Mr. P has made his own life more difficult, and he refuses to own up to what he did. He may be a fine person among people who agree with him, but he has not been a fine person in this setting. A mature person recognizes the fact, owns up and moves on.

The issue on this topic is sweeping accusations. This teacher made three against his own student based on nothing except how he wanted to spin the events in his own mind.

Guest Guest

Its always been about Paul LaClairs ego. It's what you do when you get too heavy to continue ambulence chasing looking for cases. Why else is there over 300 posts from him and triple that with responses. To think that this was ever the boys quest you are mistaken .

How about spending family time instead of the countless hours trying to defend your son's senseless case.

Guest 4th ward resident

Uh-huh.

Teacher Applicant

After being interviewed

By the school administration,

The eager teaching prospect

Said:

"Let me see

If I've got this right.

You want me to go into that room with all those kids,

And

Fill their every waking moment with a love for learning,

And

I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and

Even censor their T-shirt messages and dress habits.

You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases,

Check their backpacks for weapons of mass destruction, and

Raise their self esteem.

You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, fair play, how to register to vote,

How to balance a checkbook,

And

How to apply for a job.

I am to check their heads for lice, maintain

A safe environment,

Recognize

Signs of anti-social behavior, make sure all students pass the state exams,

Even those who don't come to school regularly or

Complete any of their assignments.

Plus,

I am to make sure that all of the students with handicaps

Get an equal education

Regardless

Of the extent of their mental

Or physical handicap.

I am to communicate regularly with the parents

By letter, telephone,

Newsletter and report card.

All of this I am to do

With just

A piece of chalk,

A computer,

A few books,

A bulletin board,

A big smile

AND

On a starting salary

That qualifies my family

For food stamps!

You want me

To do all of this

And

Then you tell me...

I CAN'T PRAY?"

I find it interesting that you post tid bits of quotes, distort the issue, try to look like a victim

I find it interesting your ability to cram so much dishonesty into so few words.

and then forget that the very thing you are encouraging your son to do is the thing that will make HIS life more dificult.

Fortunately, Matthew is a shining example of the kind of honor that it takes for anyone, especially a minor, to stand up to peers and authorities and defend the Constitution.

Have you stopped to think for one second what this is doing to your son's self esteem? It's clear to anyone that has heard even 1% of each side of this issue that Mr. Paszkiewicz is well loved by his students.

And that's he's a manipulative, arrogant liar with no working knowledge of his own subject matter. It's amazing he lasted so long in the school system, but then again...look at how the majority of the community has acted. You enabled him. And you will have to pay with him...in more ways than one. I hope that makes you happy.

Yes, there are some students that don't like him.. of course, not everyone likes everyone! You are forgetting that your son has to be around this issue all day long at school, while you have your relief by continuing your life as before.

You are forgetting that it was Matthew who did the recording, Matthew who wrote the letter, and Matthew who confronted Paszkiewicz at the meeting. He knows what he's doing, and I'm sure he's aware of the consequences. He shows no regret in his actions, and he should be commended for that.

Drop this "puppet" shit--no one's buying it, aside from your fellow apologists. One of your fundie buddies got nailed by a high schooler. S**K it up.

Wouldn't it be wise to counsel your son, to think about what he is doing and decide if he wants to go forward and place himself in the position where he is looked at as the troublemaker (apparently this is not his first cry for attention) or does he want to continue forward presenting himself as a civilized person.

Matthew has gained my respect, and the respect of many others, for being very willing to endure the ignorant abuse he's had to deal with, for the sake of the Constitution. He has acted quite civilized, unlike Paszkiewicz, who has misquoted founding fathers, implied that separation of church and state is a myth, and lied over and over about his own statements beyond any reasonable doubt.

Matthew is soon going to be a legal adult. Is this how you want him to deal with issues in his life? What is Matthew going to do when he arrives in college and someone says something that offends him, he won't be able to come crying to you. He'll have to face the issue head on. Do you think that if Matthew had recorded and brought this issue to light from a college classroom, that all of those other people present, who's rights Matthew violated, you think those people would not take legal action against Matthew. I know, law is your business, but is parenting?

I seriously doubt any non-Bible college would be stupid enough to take legal action against Matthew for recording a Constitutional violation.

Matthew has decided for himself that he is willing to support the Constitution, despite his own comfort. He's a very brave individual.

I find it interesting that you post tid bits of quotes, distort the issue, try to look like a victim and then forget that the very thing you are encouraging your son to do is the thing that will make HIS life more dificult. Have you stopped to think for one second what this is doing to your son's self esteem?

Oh, I don't think Matthew has ANY "self-esteem" issues. This is a kid who was confident enough to wear a skirt to school to protest an unfair dress policy. He obviously has titanium cojones.

Wouldn't it be wise to counsel your son, to think about what he is doing and decide if he wants to go forward and place himself in the position where he is looked at as the troublemaker (apparently this is not his first cry for attention) or does he want to continue forward presenting himself as a civilized person.

Matthew started this whole ball rolling himself. And what you characterize as "cries for attention", I would say are brave stands on important issues. Well, the shorts thing maybe not so much, but apparently that was just a warm-up.

What is "civilized" about overlooking illegal activities?

Matthew is soon going to be a legal adult. Is this how you want him to deal with issues in his life? What is Matthew going to do when he arrives in college and someone says something that offends him, he won't be able to come crying to you. He'll have to face the issue head on.

It's hard to be more head-on that Matt has been. He's fortunate because he has a mother and father who will back him up. Far too many parents would say, "Son, don't rock the boat". Wimping out is the easy path for everyone. But if the Constitution isn't worth defending, then what is?

The fact that his dad is an attorney is a plus; he has built-in legal counsel.

Do you think that if Matthew had recorded and brought this issue to light from a college classroom, that all of those other people present, who's rights Matthew violated, you think those people would not take legal action against Matthew. I know, law is your business, but is parenting?

How on earth did Matthew violate anybody's rights? It's illegal to proselytize in the classroom. Students should not be subjected to it, whether they agree with the viewpoint presented or not.

Paul and Debra have every right to be proud of their son and of their parenting skills.

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

Teaching your child to stand up for his beliefs and fight for what's right IS good parenting.

I'm surprised you don't seem to think so, and I wonder what sort of message you're teaching your own kids: "Go along with the majority," perhaps? "Anything difficult isn't worth doing"? "Civil rights aren't that important"?

By questioning Mr. LaClair's parenting skills, you're opening yourself up to commentary on your own, you know.

Guest bewildered

Teacher Applicant

After being interviewed

Said:

"Let me see

If I've got this right.

And

And

I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and

Raise their self esteem.

You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, fair play, how to register to vote,

And

How to apply for a job.

A safe environment,

Recognize

Plus,

Get an equal education

Regardless

Or physical handicap.

By letter, telephone,

All of this I am to do

With just

A piece of chalk,

A computer,

A few books,

A bulletin board,

A big smile

AND

On a starting salary

That qualifies my family

For food stamps!

You want me

To do all of this

And

Then you tell me...

I CAN'T PRAY?"

[/quote/]

No one ever said teaching was easy. Teachers may pray all they want on their own time; it is wrong when he is leading his students in prayer in class.

I bet this quote came from Focus on the Family or the AFA or one of the other wacko right-wing fundamentalist groups.

Bonehead

Teacher Applicant

After being interviewed

Said:

"Let me see

If I've got this right.

And

And

Raise their self esteem.

And

How to apply for a job.

A safe environment,

Recognize

Plus,

Get an equal education

Regardless

Or physical handicap.

By letter, telephone,

All of this I am to do

With just

A piece of chalk,

A computer,

A few books,

A bulletin board,

A big smile

AND

On a starting salary

That qualifies my family

For food stamps!

You want me

To do all of this

And

Then you tell me...

I CAN'T PRAY?"

Uh, no one forbade Paszkiewicz from praying. Are you paying attention?

Guest Guest
Oh, I don't think Matthew has ANY "self-esteem" issues.  This is a kid who was confident enough to wear a skirt to school to protest an unfair dress policy.  He obviously has titanium cojones.

Matthew started this whole ball rolling himself.  And what you characterize as "cries for attention", I would say are brave stands on important issues.  Well, the shorts thing maybe not so much, but apparently that was just a warm-up.

What is "civilized" about overlooking illegal activities? 

It's hard to be more head-on that Matt has been.  He's fortunate because he has a mother and father who will back him up.  Far too many parents would say, "Son, don't rock the boat".  Wimping out is the easy path for everyone.  But if the Constitution isn't worth defending, then what is?

The fact that his dad is an attorney is a plus; he has built-in legal counsel.

How on earth did Matthew violate anybody's rights?  It's illegal to proselytize in the classroom.  Students should not be subjected to it, whether they agree with the viewpoint presented or not.

Paul and Debra have every right to be proud of their son and of their parenting skills. 

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

He's hardly the first boy to seek attention by wearing a skirt to school. It just shows a lack of common sense.

Its always been about Paul LaClairs ego. It's what you do when you get too heavy to continue ambulence chasing looking for cases.  Why else is there over 300 posts from him and triple that with responses.  To think that this was ever the boys quest you are mistaken .

How about spending family time instead of the countless hours trying to defend your son's senseless case.

I'm glad you're not condoning sweeping accusations.

Teacher Applicant

After being interviewed

Said:

"Let me see

If I've got this right.

And

And

Raise their self esteem.

And

How to apply for a job.

A safe environment,

Recognize

Plus,

Get an equal education

Regardless

Or physical handicap.

By letter, telephone,

All of this I am to do

With just

A piece of chalk,

A computer,

A few books,

A bulletin board,

A big smile

AND

On a starting salary

That qualifies my family

For food stamps!

You want me

To do all of this

And

Then you tell me...

I CAN'T PRAY?"

No, I'm telling you that at all. You can pray. You just can't use your position of authority to try to induce public school students to pray with you.

Teacher Applicant

After being interviewed

Said:

"Let me see

If I've got this right.

And

And

Raise their self esteem.

And

How to apply for a job.

A safe environment,

Recognize

Plus,

Get an equal education

Regardless

Or physical handicap.

By letter, telephone,

All of this I am to do

With just

A piece of chalk,

A computer,

A few books,

A bulletin board,

A big smile

AND

On a starting salary

That qualifies my family

For food stamps!

You want me

To do all of this

And

Then you tell me...

I CAN'T PRAY?"

Of course you can pray.

You just can't force others to pray or lead them in prayer in a school setting. Teachers cannot lead school prayers because students who don't want to join in feel coerced to do so.

Nice long poem but it does exaggerate the difficulties of teaching in a whiny manner. Anyone that believes the above shouldn't be teaching. We need people with a can do attitude, not whiners.

Guest Guest

Matthew chose to stand up for himself. Paul is supporting that after initially counseling Matthew to let the issue go. What you're espousing is to let Matthew be someone who let's an adult figure say "You belong in Hell." to a captive audience of minors.

Paul has posted in response to people's questions, distortions and misunderstandings without a fraction of the raw venting and bile that have been heaped on him and his son. This is a sign of egomania?

Please state in detail why you think this is about Paul's ego. I know you may feel that way, but I see no evidence to support it. Seems to me you are shooting the messenger for telling people Mr. P said to a captive audience of minors "You belong in Hell."

I bet if Mr. P had said something about 70 virgins awaiting you in Heaven, you would have very different feelings about Matthew and Paul.

Guest Guest
Teacher Applicant

After being interviewed

Said:

"Let me see

If I've got this right.

And

And

Raise their self esteem.

And

How to apply for a job.

A safe environment,

Recognize

Plus,

Get an equal education

Regardless

Or physical handicap.

By letter, telephone,

All of this I am to do

With just

A piece of chalk,

A computer,

A few books,

A bulletin board,

A big smile

AND

On a starting salary

That qualifies my family

For food stamps!

You want me

To do all of this

And

Then you tell me...

I CAN'T PRAY?"

Get this from the Bible?

How about this:

"5 When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward."

"6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you."

Ironically, this is from the book of Matthew. Check it out.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
Get this from the Bible?

How about this:

"5 When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward."

"6 But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you."

Ironically, this is from the book of Matthew.  Check it out.

I LOVE the irony of that! thanx for posting

Kids in school, if not teachers, have a reasonable expectation that their words and actions will not be posted to the Internet for an international audience.

They can blame it on Paszkiewicz--if he was doing his job properly, there would have been no recording at all.

I think malicious recording for no reason should be punishable and considered 'wrong,' but that's not what happened here. Matthew made recordings for a reason Bryan unknowingly supported 100%--he was able to _predict_ Bryan's dishonesty about his own words in advance.

'Teenagers are smarter than fundamentalists.' :lol:

No doubt he had in mind the right to privacy.

Kids in school, if not teachers, have a reasonable expectation that their words and actions will not be posted to the Internet for an international audience.

An international audience would not usually be interested. Teachers usually are not idiotic enough to make the statements David Paszkiewicz made.

The international audience doesn't give two hoots about the students. Not even one.

Guest Guest
Its always been about Paul LaClairs ego. It's what you do when you get too heavy to continue ambulence chasing looking for cases.  Why else is there over 300 posts from him and triple that with responses.  To think that this was ever the boys quest you are mistaken .

For such a good lawyer, he has too much free time to spend the day here.