Salaries

Guest Guest

Guest guest
I do not know who the original poster of this topic was, but if you are checking in on these replies could you please clarify how these salaries come out to the figures posted.

I noticed many crossing guards listed and to be fair to them and possibly others the salaries listed are nearly TWICE their actual salaries. How can this be?

If someone is going to post this sort of information they should at least check for accuracy.

O V E R T I M E

Guest Guest
Who cares where they live, it doesn't mean anything.

Yes it does. We all pay taxes to live here. The town employees gripe that they need more money and full benefits, paid by us. I think they should have to live here instead of taking our money and running back to Brick.

O V E R T I M E

Uh, afaik, overtime isn't paid under the counter or anything, so any overtime ought to also appear in salary figures, especially when talking about "what person X made last year," (which is what the original post in this thread is 'depicting' as far as I can tell) as opposed to telling a prospective employee what their salary would be.

Guest Guest
O V E R T I M E

overtime is not pensionable salary....overtime is not included in these numbers....one item that may cause some of the numbers to be higher then normal is retro pay, that the town pays to employees who settle a contract...kearny likes to wait until like 4 years after the contract is up, once the employee gets their retro check they have to pay pension on it, and it is counted.....but usually this is at the most 10grand...

It should matter! Town jobs should go to TOWN RESIDENTS, but thats just another example of how this town works...sad

What's sad is people posting about things they know nothing about. During two earlier administrations lawsuits were filed by the NAACP against Kearny and other communities for discriminatory hiring practices that included the requirement that anyone employed by the town had to establish a residence in the town within 12 months of hiring. The court ordered Kearny to advertise in Essex and Bergen County papers and on radio, which the town immediately ignored. A second court appearance a few years later extended the period of time the town had to seek employees outside its boundries and set up a monitor to evaluate the process.

The town had no say in the matter as it had conceded in the first round of hearings that it indeed had erred. Although the monitoring has ended, the town has continued to follow the guidelines in an effort to avoid future lawsuits which you would pay for. Yup, that's "how this town works".

Guest concerned

Actually, the salaries listed are taken from the employee's last w-2 from 2005

that would include overtime, vacation, sick pay and clothing allowence. Plus longevity.

Guest Guest
Four possibilities spring to mind, though there may be others.

1. The numbers include more than just the direct salary. Things like benefits and the usual overhead costs that employers bear (equipment, training, facilities, etc.).

2. The crossing guards earn more than you think they do. Maybe you misheard. Or maybe you heard a long time ago and it's changed since then. Or maybe the ones you know are not a very representative sample.

3. The numbers are simply in error.

4. The numbers are intentionally inflated and someone's pocketing the difference.

The numbers do not have the raise of 3% as of Jan 1 2007 for CS11 members,

No overtime,equiptment,training is included.

Most of the salarys are 3% higher than stated.

Crossing guards salarys are much lower than stated.

Guest Guest
These numbers are higher than nearby towns.

30 yaers ago you had to be a resident to be hired not today,

NAACP court ruling says only Essex and Hudson may be considered,

Why is Jerry Kerry ($79000) employed by Kearny and he lives in Bergen Co.

Guest Guest
Actually, the salaries listed are taken from the employee's last w-2 from 2005

that would include overtime, vacation, sick pay and clothing allowence. Plus longevity.

It is still no correct with all that added in plus 10K which someone mentioned in previous posts.

I know, I am one of the people listed and my salary listed is $13,000 higher than my W-2.

Guest Guest
What's sad is people posting about things they know nothing about. During two earlier administrations lawsuits were filed by the NAACP against Kearny and other communities for discriminatory hiring practices that included the requirement that anyone employed by the town had to establish a residence in the town within 12 months of hiring. The court ordered Kearny to advertise in Essex and Bergen County papers and on radio, which the town immediately ignored. A second court appearance a few years later extended the period of time the town had to seek employees outside its boundries and set up a monitor to evaluate the process.

The town had no say in the matter as it had conceded in the first round of hearings that it indeed had erred. Although the monitoring has ended, the town has continued to follow the guidelines in an effort to avoid future lawsuits which you would pay for. Yup, that's "how this town works".

There you go again ron..trying to bring reason, and facts into a purely emotiona rant..For Shame!!!!! Typical of some of these chimps..they dont seem to understand that JUST because someone works for the Town doesnt mean that they are stripped of all of their rights.

Guest Guest
Four possibilities spring to mind, though there may be others.

1. The numbers include more than just the direct salary. Things like benefits and the usual overhead costs that employers bear (equipment, training, facilities, etc.).

2. The crossing guards earn more than you think they do. Maybe you misheard. Or maybe you heard a long time ago and it's changed since then. Or maybe the ones you know are not a very representative sample.

3. The numbers are simply in error.

4. The numbers are intentionally inflated and someone's pocketing the difference.

Face it taxpayers Kearny Employees are paid very well,

That is the way it is even if the people of Kearny do not like it.

Fact is the salarys will increase by 10% in the next 5years.

Guest Guest

Not quite accurate about Kearny following the guidelines, do all Kearny employees "live" at the address they've applied under? No they don't. Someone listed their parent's address and lives out of town.

Guest KearnyKard
Not quite accurate about Kearny following the guidelines, do all Kearny employees "live" at the address they've applied under? No they don't. Someone listed their parent's address and lives out of town.

WHO CARES WHERE ANYONE LIVES !!! This is America, land of the FREE. People can live wherever they want. As long as employees show up for work on time and put in their required hours, they can go wherever they want when they're off duty.

What the hell would you do, build a wall around Kearny and not let anyone out ??

30 yaers ago you had to be a resident to be hired not today,

NAACP court ruling says only Essex and Hudson may be considered,

Why is Jerry Kerry ($79000) employed by Kearny and he lives in Bergen Co.

No, the court ruling never said that. It stated that Essex and Hudson County residents were to be given preferential treatment if they were qualified. Please note I am using the past tense referring to the decision because Kearny has fulfilled its obligation, the monitoring process has ceased and the town can now hire from any municipality with no preferences given, as in the case of Mr. Kerr, not Kerry.

Thirty years ago you did not have to be a resident to be hired, you had twelve months after being hired to satisfy the residency requirement.

Not quite accurate about the "not quite accurate about Kearny following the guidelines" remark. If you reread my post you will see that one of the reasons for the suit was the residency requirement. As a result of the suit any employee can live in any community they choose, the town is following the guidelines and the need to falsify applications is unnecessary.

There you go again ron..trying to bring reason, and facts into a purely emotiona rant..For Shame!!!!!  Typical of some of these chimps..they dont seem to understand that JUST because someone works for the Town doesnt mean that they are stripped of all of their rights.

I just find it, as I always have, quite perplexing that people don't know what is going on in their own town and will always take the side of the gutteral remarks rather than expend the energy to find out the facts for themselves. I guess I really shouldn't care because I don't live in town anymore ( I can hear the snipes coming already), but I don't like seeing people, no matter where they live or who they are, blamed for something that is beyond their control and happened many years ago.

Guest Guest
WHO CARES WHERE ANYONE LIVES !!!  This is America, land of the FREE.  People can live wherever they want.  As long as employees show up for work on time and put in their required hours, they can go wherever they want when they're off duty.

What the hell would you do, build a wall around Kearny and not let anyone out ??

no, just give TOWN jobs to TOWN residents...with all the taxes we pay, shouldn't we be given first consideration? I think that should be a requirement.

Guest Guest
Not quite accurate about the "not quite accurate about Kearny following the guidelines" remark. If you reread my post you will see that one of the reasons for the suit was the residency requirement. As a result of the suit any employee can live in any community they choose, the town is following the guidelines and the need to falsify applications is unnecessary.

just wondering, but does North Arlington, Nutley, Harrison, open its employment to surrounding towns? I don't believe the NA BOE hires non-residents, is that true?

Guest Senior Kearny Resident
WHO CARES WHERE ANYONE LIVES !!!  This is America, land of the FREE.  People can live wherever they want.  As long as employees show up for work on time and put in their required hours, they can go wherever they want when they're off duty.

Thank you for putting this issue in terms that all these idiots can understand. Residency requirements went out 30 years ago under Gov. Cahill. It's a state law, municipalities CANNOT require their employees to live in the town where they're employed. Why is this so difficult for some to understand.