Snow Removal

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Why does the Kearny D.PW.and other Depts.have so many Vehicles That are not equiped and utilized to clear snow .I feel every vehicle big enough to handle snow removal should be put in service to do so.All it would take is to purchase the Hardware and Plow.Have the Hardware installed and put the Plow on when necessary.The big shade tree trucks are specialized vehicles but they can serve more than one purpose.People on the side streets would really appreciate some relief from the stress of trying to find a parking spot.You can also enforce the street cleaning rules while there is snow on the ground.The only difference would be You could send a Plow down the Street instead of a Sweeper.The Quality of the Lives of the People that live in this Town reaaly goes down Hill when there is Snow up to the cheeks of there Asses with no sign of Spring in sight.The Plows would help and the do not expire like gallon of Milk.When an old truck is scrapped remove the Hardware and reuse it on a new truck.No Money wasted

Guest Guest 99

why are we talking about snow now??? Brrrrrr!!

Anyway, where do you get all the manpower to drive the vehicles? Working around the clock removing snow, while still performing other town duties, leaves an already smaller department awfully lean.

Now, on to the idea of plowing on street cleaning days. What do you do with the snow at the end of the block after you've plowed? You have no trucks to haul it away because they're all out plowing with the new equipment you bought. Or would you rather have the plows angled toward the sidewalk so that your freshly shovelled walk is covered again? People would be up in arms.Use your driveway if you have one. If not, pile as much snow as possible on the curbing, not in front or in back of your car. Two mounds in the street take up one parking space.

Guest Guest

To the Person who wrote the 2nd rebuttle.Please realize for the price it costs the average Family to live in this Town more can be done to make Your life better.Kearny has been in the north eastern part of the United States for quite some time.Why are'nt they more prepared to deal with Heavy Snow.As far as your Manpower remarc is concerned The D.P.W.Employees can use the O.T. and I feel it is a justified expense.

Guest Guest 99
To the Person who wrote the 2nd rebuttle.Please realize for the price it costs the average Family to live in this Town more can be done to make Your life better.Kearny has been in the north eastern part of the United States for quite some time.Why are'nt they more prepared to deal with Heavy Snow.As far as your Manpower remarc is concerned The D.P.W.Employees can use the O.T. and I feel it is a justified expense.

Any cost can be justified if you are willing to pay for it. Are you?

Guest Guest

You must be a Home owner with a driveway that can pullright into Your yard without a care.If You were living with this problem Year after Year.You would see the effect this has on People with no alternative.Keep talking like a bean counting Poltico.The Equipment is there The Manpower is there.The Police and Firemen get O.T. The Men at D.P.W. are willing to work it to.The Money is there for Snow removal why dont the Side Streets get their monies worth of that budget.

Guest Guest 99
You must be a Home owner with a driveway that can pullright into Your yard without a care.If You were living with this problem Year after Year.You would see the effect this has on People with no alternative.Keep talking like a bean counting Poltico.The Equipment is there The Manpower is there.The Police and Firemen get O.T. The Men at D.P.W. are willing to work it to.The Money is there for Snow removal why dont the Side Streets get their monies worth of that budget.

No I do not have a driveway, and, yes, I do live on a side street.

On one hand we have voters complaining about too much spending and on the other we have those that want to spend more for snow removal.

The statement about the money being there is a half truth. Yes, overtime is budgeted into the plan, but it has to be used for a variety of issues. And, the manpower is short for the jobs to be done. If it wasn't, why then was a council member assisting as a plow driver a few years ago? Why are contractors called in to plow in some instances? Yeah, yeah, I know. They're connected to the right people. BS! It's because there aren't enough DPW workers with CDLs to put in the hours. A recent change in the hiring qualifications may soon change that, though.

While we're on the topic, what about repairs to the trucks and plow blades? Can anyone tell me how many Mechanics, as in a job title, not just an ability to fix vehicles, there are in the DPW? Two last winter, maybe three now. Should we pay more taxes to add a few more for when, during a major blizzard, one is out sick or on vacation?

For the third time, with no answer yet, are you willing to pay for it?? :angry:

Guest StudiesandObservations
[Q. And, the manpower is short for the jobs to be done. If it wasn't, why then was a council member assisting as a plow driver a few years ago? Why are contractors called in to plow in some instances? Yeah, yeah, I know. They're connected to the right people. BS! It's because there aren't enough DPW workers with CDLs to put in the hours. A recent change in the hiring qualifications may soon change that, though.

Snip

For the third time, with no answer yet, are you willing to pay for it?? :blink:

I wouldnt use THAT as an example, especially since the Counculman in Questions did NOT possess a CDL, and also managed to hit a parked car, costing the town even MORE for repairs to the car he hit.

The taxpayers ARE paying for it, with some of the higest property Taxes in the state. Taxpayers also inculde renters, since tax increases are usually reflected by Rent increases. There is another issue that noone has mentioned, that of Liability, and FURTHER cost to the town in lawsuits due to Accidents and Falls when the the snow is not being cleared. This town does everything the same why, they rob Peter to pay Paul until things are stretched so thin that Nothing can be done correctly, Until of course, someone gets hurt, or killed, and the lawsuits come rolling in, then its scramble scramble to fix the blames, but still not address the problem. The saddest thing is that the town pays out thousands of dollars for studies before making a decision on almost ANY issue...and then go and ignore the study that WE just paid for

Guest friend

Wrong, John did not need a CDL because Governor Whitman declared it an emergency meaning anyone with a valid license could operate the vehicle...... Also, he SCRATCHED a car on the cul-de-sac off Passaic Avenue and the total repair was $186.00 which HE paid himself. NOT the town. Try again Mrs. Doyle.

Guest Guest

You say The Governor declared a State of emergency.Did the Governor mention in His declaration to Hell with the Citizens on the side streets?Are the Laws of this Country to be ignored because of a snow emergency?The Commercial Drivers License is a Federal requirement.A CDL Driver is trained and tested to Drive a Commercial Vehicle.The Councilman in question did a noble thing in assisting the Town but on the other side of the coin He took Money out of a Drivers Pocket.If the Town does'nt have enough Drivers hire them.Give some Blue Collar working stiff a full time position so He can have some security in life.Don't praise a Politician for taking work away from the Towns Employees.

Guest Guest

How can Harrison do so much of a better job than Kearny when it comes to Snow reomoval.You can argue it's a smaller Town all You want but the fact of the matter it is They roll up thier sleeves and get the job done and take pride in the fact that Thiey Citizens can go about thier every Day lives and They deal with the cost.Now about the budget B.S.You know as well as I do, the more You spend this Year the more You get next year.This is the North Eastern United States It Snows in this part of the Country.This Area is densely populated,Lot's of People and lot's of cars and Loads of Taxes.Why should the average Tax Payer in the next Town over live better then any of Us.I think it is a Leadership issue Your Mayor and Council don't want to believe what They see.They could 'nt care less if Your Wife or Daughter comes Home late from work and has to park 4 blocks away because of the snow piles and garbage cans all over the Street and walk that distance.This is'nt a Budget Issue.This is a matter of this Town doing the Right Thing.Nobody can deny how bad it feels leaving work and heading Home to Kearny when there is Snow on the Ground.Think real hard I bet it will come back to You.

Guest guest_Guest

Harrison has a very good street dept. and its been that way for years. They are also broke. Kearny has alot of hills that need repeated plowing and salting, I know, I live on one of those hills. When the street dept has to constantly plow and salt the same streets over it takes them away from the others that need to be done. Then you have the people that throw the snow in the street. I'm sure if the town hires more people for the street dept and buys more equipment that would take care of the problem. It's also expensive. We went alot of years in the past with very little snow. If they buy equipment and it doesn't snow, people will complain about how the town is wasting money. Besides all that, where is everybody going during a snow storm. It's like there's a need to drive in the snow. What I'd like to see is the cops giving out tickets to the people putting their garbage cans, lawn furniture and chairs on the steet to stake their claim.

Guest Guest
How can Harrison do so much of a better job than Kearny when it comes to Snow reomoval.You can argue it's a smaller Town all You want but the fact of the matter it is They roll up thier sleeves and get the job done and take pride in the fact that Thiey Citizens can go about thier every Day lives and They deal with the cost.Now about the budget B.S.You know as well as I do, the more You spend this Year the more You get next year.This is the North Eastern United States It Snows in this part of the Country.This Area is densely populated,Lot's of People and lot's of cars and Loads of Taxes.Why should the average Tax Payer in the next Town over live better then any of Us.I think it is a Leadership issue Your Mayor and Council don't want to believe what They see.They could 'nt care less if Your Wife or Daughter comes Home late from work and has to park 4 blocks away because of the snow piles and garbage cans all over the Street and walk that distance.This is'nt a Budget Issue.This is a matter of this Town doing the Right Thing.Nobody can deny how bad it feels leaving work and heading Home to Kearny when there is Snow on the Ground.Think real hard I bet it will come back to You.

The real answer to your question is for years Harrison has had an ordinance wherei you must move your cars off the street until that street is plowed curb to curb or the car is towed. No elected official in Kearny ever had the you know to pass such an ordinance.

Guest fact finder

For your information, Fact 1] John only plowed AFTER all the town employees were too tired to go any further, Fact 2, he along with all the town employees were plowing for over 30 consecutive hours, Fact 3, John also had all the cars moved off the streets in most of the fourth ward and plowed curb to curb. Just ask any of your Old neighbors. You people continue to talk about him in such a negative manner yet he was ALWAYS there to answer any problem brought to his attention!!!

Guest Guest

To the Idiot that keeps running to John's defense I have 1 question for You.Are You stupid? This Topic has nothing to do with some Councilman doing His Duty or going the extra mile.The Topic to Me is SECURITY.I want to be able to come Home after work and be able to park My Car.You know the snow does'nt melt for Days or sometimes weeks.The arguement is being able to do what You have to.To make a living and being able to come home and being able to park.Your work Day does'nt end until You are out of the Car.That is the Dog Gone Arguement.Keep bringing Bovine Dumplings into it and nothing will ever get changed.You People defending Your own neglect by the Town are a strange Breed.You are being made to suffer and You are gonna argue a case for Your suffering to continue.An A;shole is Someboby that daoes'nt believe what He is Seeing.

Archived