Attn KOTW: Don't use scripts to stop right clicks

Strife767

I've noticed that the front KOTW page has one of those scripts that pops up an alert with copyright information, undoubtedly in an attempt to prevent people from stealing pictures or looking at the source or whatever. But these types of scripts hurt more than they harm for several reasons. Hear me out, please:

On the one hand, anyone who really wants to get pictures or look at the source of a page is not deterred at _all_ by this script. It is a very weak protection against that sort of thing, and it is very easy to get around.

Now, by itself, that would just be an argument that it's pointless, but it's not just that. It also _hinders_ users. You see, people who like using the right-click menu to navigate forward and backward (a good friend of mine is used to doing this) are not able to do so on that site because the alert prevents the context menu from displaying. Furthermore, users like me who use mouse gestures for navigation (if you're not familiar, a mouse gesture is typically executed by holding down the right mouse button, moving the mouse a certain way (left to mimic clicking the 'back' button, for example), then releasing the mouse button) also can't do so with such a script in place. These types of scripts are admittedly popular among the less net-savvy but are overall much more of a hindrance than a help overall.

Scripts that 'disable' right-clicking alienate a fair number of users as explained above. For a site who is apparently quite staunch in its position to be open to everyone, it is quite counterintuitive. I strongly suggest you consider removing it from the main pages of your website, in order to make it as accessible as possible to all.

P.S. You have to be realistic about the whole pictures thing...if you put a picture on a public website, it can be 'obtained' by third parties, period. There's nothing you can do to prevent that.

I've noticed that the front KOTW page has one of those scripts that pops up an alert with copyright information, undoubtedly in an attempt to prevent people from stealing pictures or looking at the source or whatever.

What browser are you using? I'm using Seamonkey and have never seen what you're describing. I get the normal context menu, and my Radial Context pie menu plugin also works without interference.

(Pie menus are similar in effect to mouse gestures, but with a visual aspect so they're easier to learn and can be navigated visually to find options that are not used often enough to commit to motor memory)

What browser are you using?

Any browser with Javascript enabled should see what I'm talking about, as it's an effect done by Javascript.

Just look at the source of the main page...the first <script> tag you see is the one containing the script I'm talking about.

EDIT: Here's what it should look like in IE7 (tried attaching the picture to the post, but Invision apparently has the code for that totally screwed up): http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4506/ko...criptalehh0.jpg

I'm using Seamonkey and have never seen what you're describing. I get the normal context menu, and my Radial Context pie menu plugin also works without interference.

(Pie menus are similar in effect to mouse gestures, but with a visual aspect so they're easier to learn and can be navigated visually to find options that are not used often enough to commit to motor memory)