I'm Tired Of Hearing About It.

Guest Aryan Youth FTW

Guest Aryan Youth FTW

As an active Atheist living in this poor town of Kearny I must let it be known that a majority of us are tired of hearing about the whole "LaClair versus teacher" controversy. It's been blown out of proportion since it first arose as a public matter, and is now nothing more than a subtle attempt to gain a little attention, and possibly some sum of money. Are there no other activities you could engage yourselves in, or are such trivial matters really going to provide your pitiful lives with some lame excuse for enthrallment?

While I don't agree with any of the teacher's self-righteous comments, or his beliefs, the fact of the matter was he was called out on his idealogy, and designated a response. This is the real world, and unfortunately it doesn't revolve around the teacher, a 16 year old who feels a great injustice, or his overzealous family who want to further embolden and help make this town a mockery.

As an active Atheist living in this poor town of Kearny I must let it be known that a majority of us are tired of hearing about the whole "LaClair versus teacher" controversy. It's been blown out of proportion since it first arose as a public matter, and is now nothing more than a subtle attempt to gain a little attention, and possibly some sum of money. Are there no other activities you could engage yourselves in, or are such trivial matters really going to provide your pitiful lives with some lame excuse for enthrallment?

While I don't agree with any of the teacher's self-righteous comments, or his beliefs, the fact of the matter was he was called out on his idealogy, and designated a response. This is the real world, and unfortunately it doesn't revolve around the teacher, a 16 year old who feels a great injustice, or his overzealous family who want to further embolden and help make this town a mockery.

You're not the only one who is getting tired of this BS.

Utterly amazing.. 21 of the first page threads are dedicated to this ONE story in one aspect or another..thesad thing is that it seems to be the same 10 or so people that keep battering away at each other.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
Utterly amazing.. 21 of the first page threads are dedicated to this ONE story in one aspect or another..thesad thing is that it seems to be the same 10 or so people that keep battering away at each other.

It's because this is a BIG DEAL unlike Anna Nichole or Brittney Spears.

You know what's more amazing? People think that by creating a new topic just to rant about how they don't want to talk about this subject (when precisely that has been done several times already), they are drawing attention away from it. Guess what? This is now another topic on the same issue. Good job, braniac (the OP). Creating _more_ topics on the matter does the exact opposite of the assumed desired result.

If you really want people to stop talking about this issue so much, here's an idea--stop talking about it yourself.

I must say, this post sounds fake, from the questionable posting alias to the capitalization of "atheist" (atheists are known for _hating_ that), I'm guessing this is just another "biology teacher" etc.

Hey, I don't blame you. If my town was a national laughing stock I would want it to go away too.

This whole thing would have gone away a lot sooner if the teacher had apologized and the board had taken the proper action. Instead he defended his illegal actions and the BoE backed him up, thats what really makes it a problem. Blame them, not a justly pissed off family.

Guest bewildered

1. No one is forcing you to go to KOTW and no one is forcing you to read anything posted here.

2. Starting another thread about the same subject is not very bright, is it? You are just adding fuel to the fire.

YAUG said: "Doesnt paul, matt and strife know WE DONT CARE!!! "

Apparently not. Perhaps if you didn't read KOTW, and didn't take the trouble to post, it might be more evident.

But I suggest to you that you SHOULD care. You should care about the issue. You should examine the evidence carefully. You should weigh the issue, and try to decide what's right.

It's our Constitution. It's our faith. It's our public schools. It's OUR COUNTRY.

We should all care.

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

Guest Aryan Youth FTW
I must say, this post sounds fake, from the questionable posting alias to the capitalization of "atheist" (atheists are known for _hating_ that), I'm guessing this is just another "biology teacher" etc.

First of all it's not fake, "Strife". I'm Atheist, I'm White (of European descent, hence "Aryan", and I will go no farther in explanation of my username), and I'm sarcastic (as FTW is a common internet abbreviation for "For The Win"). I also was not aware of the fact that Atheists are afraid of capitalization and grammar (who would have thought). I'm not posting this about KOTW I'm posting this in general.

I'm tired of reading about it in The Observer, The Kearny Journal, and seeing it all over the News coverage, and that's simply it. It's not news, it's not truly important, and it is just a headache. Nothing new is coming out of it except some pending suit. I'm not a frequent visitor of this site like the unofficial defender of Kearny, "Strife", as I don't care what goes on in this poor town. The only purpose of the original post was try to persuade to whoever it is that decides to make this news in the paper to think otherwise.

-Aryan Youth FTW-

YAUG said: "Doesnt paul, matt and strife know WE DONT CARE!!! "

Apparently not.  Perhaps if you didn't read KOTW, and didn't take the trouble to post, it might be more evident.

But I suggest to you that you SHOULD care.  You should care about the issue.  You should examine the evidence carefully.  You should weigh the issue, and try to decide what's right.

It's our Constitution.  It's our faith.  It's our public schools.  It's OUR COUNTRY.

We should all care.

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

I do care and I am from Kearny. That's what is important. I have weighed in on the issue and agree this is nothing more than an immature child begging attention. Else why wouldn't he go to the teacher first to address it instead of going to the media? Our country has much more important things to worry about then if a person talked about the Easter Bunny or St. Patrick during school time. This teacher is respected and his previous record speaks for himself. Look to your own state and the backyard even before chastising other states problems. I am sure Texas has there share of problems.

This town and the people are doing their best to control this individual, actually both of them and an egotistical father from destroying everything that the people before them have worked so hard to build.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
I do care and I am from Kearny. That's what is important. I have weighed in on the issue and agree this is nothing more than an immature child begging attention. Else why wouldn't he go to the teacher first to address it instead of going to the media? Our country has much more important things to worry about then if a person talked about the Easter Bunny or St. Patrick during school time.  This teacher is respected and his previous record speaks for himself.  Look to your own state and the backyard even before chastising other states problems. I am sure Texas has there share of problems. 

This town and the people are doing their best to control this individual, actually both of them and an egotistical father from destroying everything that the people before them have worked so hard to build.

Don't be so selfish. This issue IS important to those outside of Kearny because of the possble precedent that it may set. I also believe you are wrong about the the order of events. It's my understanding that he (Matt) did go to the teacher and adminsitrators etc. The teacher lied and nothing was done about it and is wasn't until several months later that he went to the press. I from one am glad that he did. This type of situation is exactly what our country should be worried about.

I do care and I am from Kearny. That's what is important. I have weighed in on the issue and agree this is nothing more than an immature child begging attention. Else why wouldn't he go to the teacher first to address it instead of going to the media? Our country has much more important things to worry about then if a person talked about the Easter Bunny or St. Patrick during school time.  This teacher is respected and his previous record speaks for himself.  Look to your own state and the backyard even before chastising other states problems. I am sure Texas has there share of problems. 

I respectfully suggest to you that the right of individuals to worship as they see fit without interference from the state is very important, and so is the science education of our high school students. Leigh made those points, but apparently they are of no importance to you. We disagree.

First of all it's not fake, "Strife".

My predictions are not 100% accurate.

I'm Atheist, I'm White (of European descent, hence "Aryan", and I will go no farther in explanation of my username),

Good move.

and I'm sarcastic (as FTW is a common internet abbreviation for "For The Win").

I'm aware of the abbreviation--I'd like to know what's sarcastic about it, though.

I also was not aware of the fact that Atheists are afraid of capitalization and grammar (who would have thought).

That's not what I said and you know it. Atheism isn't a religion like Christianity or Islam--it is plainly incorrect to capitalize it, just as it is inaccurate to capitalize theism. It should be noted that capitalizing "atheism" is a common move by theists who wish to incorrectly define atheism as a 'false faith' because that sort of straw man makes it easier for them to feel superior, apparently. Faith vs. faith is obviously a much easier battle for them than faith vs. reality.

I'm not posting this about KOTW I'm posting this in general.

I'm tired of reading about it in The Observer, The Kearny Journal, and seeing it all over the News coverage, and that's simply it.

Well, I suggest you join in urging Paszkiewicz and the Board to fix their mistakes so that the issue can be over and done with.

It's not news,

Not news? How do you define "news," then, I wonder?

it's not truly important, and it is just a headache.

On the contrary--issues like this are of vital importance, as they are the moments where the principles of this country are affirmed, and reasonable people can have some faith that "justice for all" is still a part of this country.

Nothing new is coming out of it except some pending suit.

It's not like the same details on the issue are appearing in the Observer etc. every issue.

I'm not a frequent visitor of this site like the unofficial defender of Kearny, "Strife", as I don't care what goes on in this poor town.

What a selfish thing to say. How would you like it if your rights were violated, almost no one cared, and then you had people going around saying they don't care about it?

The only purpose of the original post was try to persuade to whoever it is that decides to make this news in the paper to think otherwise.

Uh, wouldn't you be better off contacting the actual newspapers, then? Your motive makes no sense--it sounds more like trolling than anything else, to be honest.

I do care and I am from Kearny. That's what is important. I have weighed in on the issue and agree this is nothing more than an immature child begging attention.

Psst, your bias is showing.

Else why wouldn't he go to the teacher first to address it instead of going to the media?

This nonsense has been spewed tons of times already. Matthew went past the teacher to the principal (_not_ the media) when things had just happened, because he felt he couldn't trust Paszkiewicz. He hit the mark--Paszkiewicz fervently denied much of what he said, and Matthew would certainly have been completely ignored in favor of Paszkiewicz's lies had he not had proof of his accusations. This showed that Matthew was completely justified.

So then what happens? Matthew makes some very reasonable requests (a genuine public apology and correction of the lies Paszkiewicz told concerning several well-accepted scientific theories being the main ones), and they are completely ignored. Paszkiewicz insists he did NOTHING wrong, and no real action is taken. It even says in the Bible to take a dispute to the next level if one and one's 'brother' can't resolve it--I do believe it was that Jesus character who said it. That's exactly what Matthew and his father did.

As an aside, I'd like to see anyone who thinks Matthew immediately ran to the media explain how the media only learned of the events several months after they had occurred.

Our country has much more important things to worry about then if a person talked about the Easter Bunny or St. Patrick during school time.

Yeah, like if a person was condemning people to suffer for eternity according to his religious beliefs during school time. It is truly pathetic for you to try and trivialize his actions in the way you just did.

This teacher is respected

But being as dishonest/unethical/irresponsible as he was caught being is sure to put a dent in that respect in all but the most brainwashed minds.

and his previous record speaks for himself.

Several alumni of KHS have expressed familiarity with these types of antics, apparently even going so far as to refer to this teacher as "Pastor Paszkiewicz." I even read on this forum someone commenting on the issue as Paszkiewicz "finally" being called on this behavior. Yes, it speaks, but not in the way his apologists would like, I'm sure.

Look to your own state and the backyard even before chastising other states problems. I am sure Texas has there share of problems.

First of all, what an arrogant, condescending thing to say. What is wrong with you?

Secdondly, a violation of the Constitution, which governs EVERY state, is EVERYONE'S problem! That is, everyone who likes having Constitutional rights. If Paszkiewicz got away with this blatant crossing of the church/state line, it would set a terrible precedent for the rights of public school students all over this country. That is not something the LaClairs intend on allowing to happen, and they are to be commended for that.

Guest Aryan FTW

Since basically this whole forum is an ongoing argument in one aspect or another I will go no farther with retorts as to try and minimize the futile conflicts arising from such messages. As far as capitalizing "Atheism" goes the intention was not to recognize it as a religion, as I too do not believe it to be, but more of a general demographic. In regards to this not being news I am refering to the fact that over the past several weeks (not counting this previous week's articles) the same information has been continually re-hashed and placed in the paper.

I'm interested in the final verdict, or resolution, but I don't truly agree with either side. As for the trolling aspect I created the topic here because I had believed it to be somewhat of a sub-faction of the Observer as this URL had been mentioned previously in their reader response and editorial column. No fancy replies need be directed toward me as I'll just wait for whatever form of resolution occurs and make a final decision based upon that judgement.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Grrry

I found this site somewhat amusing because of the dominance the topic of the Paszkiewicz vs LaClair topic. I hit on it because I was researching for myself what has gone on and it's clear to me the establishment clause of the First Amendment was being violated by the district in permitting Paszkiewicz to preach in class.

Yes, I listened to the recordings and though LeClair is querying Paszkiewicz on them in ways that lead to some of the worst material, he is clearly not the one who initiated the topic which led to religious demagoguery.

The defense that LeClair baited Paszkiewicz doesn't hold up for me. And it wouldn't even if he had because it would clearly demonstrate Paszkiewicz was not an adult teacher qualified to run a classroom. LeClair is the 16 year old and Paszkiewicz is the teacher. Paszkiewicz should have been able to guide the discussion to the proper classroom topics and away from religion. Blaming LeClair is so disingenious as to be absurd.

Paszkiewicz being a popular teacher is also an absurd defense. Just because others in his classroom wish to act like lemmings does not require LeClair to do so.

LeClair has a clear right to record events in a public space which the classroom is. That is actually done by a number of students around the country to help them with their notes for the class, so it's also absurd to claim he had no reason to other to bait Paszkiewicz. His stated purpose of being prepared to prove his assertions before the school were certainly valid reasons as well.

Paszkiewicz lied to cover himself when LeClair took his complaint to the school. What this indicates is obvious, but take it a step further. How could a godly person trust someone who forsakes the actions of the martyrs of the Christian church to lie about his actions? It's not that he denied Christ, but he denied preaching, close to the same thing. How does a member of his Church reconcile his deceitfulness with his ministry?? I know for one I cannot.

It is clear Paszkiewicz is not aware of the history of separation of church and state, say the insistence by Daniel Webster that the State never interfere with the beliefs of students. Webster went so far as to write English primers to stop use of the Bible in the schools, though he was himself a deeply devout man and a minister in his own right.

Another issue brought up on here about LeClair is he won't say the pledge of Allegiance to the Flag... There is obvious ignorance involved in that discussion too. The reason not saying the pledge is protected by the supreme court decision is the group that fought the pledge will not permit oaths because they see it as violating a command from God, taking the Lord's name in vain. Any secular Oath would be such an act to them. While that's clearly not LeClair's reason, he can object on any of a number of other legitimate grounds and still be a patriotic US citizen. It is offensive to assert such a decision indicates disloyalty to the constitution. Moreover it is merely an attempt to attack the character of LeClair instead of addressing the issues of his complaint, a rather cowardly means of dealing with an inconvenient problem named Paszkiewicz.

In fact, standing up for the constitution in the manner he has, LeClair has shown more courage and patriotism to the purpose of the constitution and the United States than his nay-sayers.

By failing to dismiss Paszkiewicz for his actions and doing the minimum possible reprimand, the school board may have created for itself a serious breach in their ability to stand legal scrutiny. It is shameful that all this is so poorly thought out by the board and does not come to grips with the severity of the problem.

Paszkiewicz in one of his comments advocates the beating of a 12 year old, his own, in an example. Among other things, this leads me to wonder if the man is also capable of serious child abuse. This more than anything else concerns me when he is in close contact with children through the schools. His anger at being caught while before the principal supports this concern.

If anyone is going to hell, it's Paszkiewicz.

Too bad so many people let their view of the issue be clouded merely by the invocation of Jesus's name. When Jesus said Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, he was not simply talking about taxes. It really is necessary to recognize that the government is separate from the church and needs to remain that way lest the religion you get be one you despise.

Since basically this whole forum is an ongoing argument in one aspect or another I will go no farther with retorts as to try and minimize the futile conflicts arising from such messages. As far as capitalizing "Atheism" goes the intention was not to recognize it as a religion, as I too do not believe it to be, but more of a general demographic.

But you do realize that demographics are generally not capitalized, right?

I found this site somewhat amusing because of the dominance the topic of the Paszkiewicz vs LaClair topic. I hit on it because I was researching for myself what has gone on and it's clear to me the establishment clause of the First Amendment was being violated by the district in permitting Paszkiewicz to preach in class.

Yes, I listened to the recordings and though LeClair is querying Paszkiewicz on them in ways that lead to some of the worst material, he is clearly not the one who initiated the topic which led to religious demagoguery.

The defense that LeClair baited Paszkiewicz doesn't hold up for me. And it wouldn't even if he had because it would clearly demonstrate Paszkiewicz was not an adult teacher qualified to run a classroom. LeClair is the 16 year old and Paszkiewicz is the teacher. Paszkiewicz should have been able to guide the discussion to the proper classroom topics and away from religion. Blaming LeClair is so disingenious as to be absurd.

Paszkiewicz being a popular teacher is also an absurd defense. Just because others in his classroom wish to act like lemmings does not require LeClair to do so.

LeClair has a clear right to record events in a public space which the classroom is. That is actually done by a number of students around the country to help them with their notes for the class, so it's also absurd to claim he had no reason to other to bait Paszkiewicz. His stated purpose of being prepared to prove his assertions before the school were certainly valid reasons as well.

Paszkiewicz lied to cover himself when LeClair took his complaint to the school. What this indicates is obvious, but take it a step further. How could a godly person trust someone who forsakes the actions of the martyrs of the Christian church to lie about his actions? It's not that he denied Christ, but he denied preaching, close to the same thing. How does a member of his Church reconcile his deceitfulness with his ministry?? I know for one I cannot.

It is clear Paszkiewicz is not aware of the history of separation of church and state, say the insistence by Daniel Webster that the State never interfere with the beliefs of students. Webster went so far as to write English primers to stop use of the Bible in the schools, though he was himself a deeply devout man and a minister in his own right.

Another issue brought up on here about LeClair is he won't say the pledge of Allegiance to the Flag... There is obvious ignorance involved in that discussion too. The reason not saying the pledge is protected by the supreme court decision is the group that fought the pledge will not permit oaths because they see it as violating a command from God, taking the Lord's name in vain. Any secular Oath would be such an act to them. While that's clearly not LeClair's reason, he can object on any of a number of other legitimate grounds and still be a patriotic US citizen. It is offensive to assert such a decision indicates disloyalty to the constitution. Moreover it is merely an attempt to attack the character of LeClair instead of addressing the issues of his complaint, a rather cowardly means of dealing with an inconvenient problem named Paszkiewicz.

In fact, standing up for the constitution in the manner he has, LeClair has shown more courage and patriotism to the purpose of the constitution and the United States than his nay-sayers.

By failing to dismiss Paszkiewicz for his actions and doing the minimum possible reprimand, the school board may have created for itself a serious breach in their ability to stand legal scrutiny. It is shameful that all this is so poorly thought out by the board and does not come to grips with the severity of the problem.

Paszkiewicz in one of his comments advocates the beating of a 12 year old, his own, in an example. Among other things, this leads me to wonder if the man is also capable of serious child abuse. This more than anything else concerns me when he is in close contact with children through the schools. His anger at being caught while before the principal supports this concern.

Too bad so many people let their view of the issue be clouded merely by the invocation of Jesus's name. When Jesus said Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, he was not simply talking about taxes. It really is necessary to recognize that the government is separate from the church and needs to remain that way lest the religion you get be one you despise.

Great post.

As you may have noticed, I have become increasingly aware of (and in turn, worried about) that statement about the beating. It honestly worries me... :/

Guest guest
Hey, I don't blame you. If my town was a national laughing stock I would want it to go away too.

This whole thing would have gone away a lot sooner if the teacher had apologized and the board had taken the proper action. Instead he defended his illegal actions and the BoE backed him up, thats what really makes it a problem. Blame them, not a justly pissed off family.

THE BOARD TOOK CARE OF THE MATTER. ACCORDING TO THE UNION STIPULATIONS; THEY SPOKE WITH THE TEACHER, AND GAVE HIM A WARNING NOT TO LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN. I HAVE'T HEARD OF ANY MORE TROUBLE BETWEEN THE TEACHER AND THE STUDENTS IN HIS CLASS SINCE THEN; THE MATTER IS CONCLUDED AT THE PRESENT TIME. the only person to keep it going is the father and his son. TIME TO MOVE ON TO OTHERR ISSUES CONCERNING THE TOWN, UNLESS THE FAMILY DOESN'T WANT IT TO END BECUAESE THEY ARE ENJOYING THEIR TIME IN THE SPOTLIGHT and WANT IT TO LAST AS LONG AS POSSIBLE. I BET THEY HAVE A BOOK & movie in mind. $$$$$$$$$

Guest Supporter

Usually I refrain from calling names, but you are a moron. Mathew DID go to the teacher, and the principle, and the board before he went to the media. Several months passed between when this event occured and when the newspaper ran an article on it. The only reason the media was involved was because sufficient action was not taken on the part of Mr. P., the principle, and the BOE. And I'm not surprised that you are from Kearny, as people from that town seem to be hopelessly deluded.

Guest Guest

Then it's a good thing for Paszkiewicz that hell doesn't exist, huh? And to anyone intending to reply to this with 'Give me evidence that hell doesn't exist,' take a look in the mirror and tell me where the supporting evidence is. And no squirming your way out of it; either give the plain, up front evidence, or stuff it.