Why do atheists care about religion?

Strife767

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo

Great video with excellent points to be made. Christains should not be surprised by any backlash that the may be experiencing these days. Speaking for myself, people don't respond well to force and I feel that Christianity is forced upon me in many ways.

Guest Patriot

Once again, America is a CHRISTIAN NATION . An atheist is looked upon as weird, strange, unnatural, shunned, not to be trusted and evil. If you don't like it then you should, 1. Keep your ignorance to yourself. 2. Move to Canada or Europe. 3. Go to a church and ask God to forgive you.

Posting your garbage on KOTW will not help your sorry ass.

Once again, America is a CHRISTIAN NATION .

Writing it in all caps don't make it true. You are lying.

An atheist is looked upon as weird, strange, unnatural,  shunned, not to be trusted and evil.

All completely unjustified. It is shocking to see how unfairly you regard someone, just because they don't believe what you do.

If you don't like it then you should, 1. Keep your ignorance to yourself.

Ignorance? Explain to me what is ignorant about not assuming the existence of a supernatural entity for which there is no evidence.

2. Move to Canada or Europe.

You're that unable to handle someone who's different from you, that you would want them to leave the country?

3. Go to a church and ask God to forgive you.

Why would I ask your God for forgiveness? How arrogant and condescending can you be?

This post truly shows what a hate-filled bigot you are. I pity you, honestly.

"Once again, America is a CHRISTIAN NATION."

let's do a scavenger hunt! Can you find how many times the word "God" appears in the Constitution? Have you even read the document, "Patriot?"

If the lack of god in the Constitution does not suffice somehow, try finding a copy of the treaty with Tripoli...good, now go to the beginning of article 2. Well done, it appears in fact that we are not "IN ANY SENSE" a Christian nation.

Please note, I am not disputing the fact that a majority of citizens are Christians. That is fine. There is, however, an empirical claim being made about our nation's history that is not true.

Is standing up and asking that our schools follow the Constitution really that bad? Send your kids to private school then, "its a free country." You know, Atheists are not forcing Darwin to be taught in church, so take a breath before you accuse us of "attacking" religion.

Guest Concerned
Once again, America is a CHRISTIAN NATION .  An atheist is looked upon as weird, strange, unnatural,  shunned, not to be trusted and evil.  If you don't like it then you should, 1. Keep your ignorance to yourself.  2. Move to Canada or Europe.  3. Go to a church and ask God to forgive you.

Repugnant. Don't represent Christians - here or anywhere. You should know by the way, you don't need to go to a church to ask God for forgiveness. Perhaps you should ask now son.

Guest Concerned
Great video with excellent points to be made. Christains should not be surprised by any backlash that the may be experiencing these days. Speaking for myself, people don't respond well to force and I feel that Christianity is forced upon me in many ways.

Where is the backlash? Here on KOTW? Where is Christianity FORCED upon you? Here on KOTW? YouTube?

I think you seek this conflict in your life. You are subjected to daily arm twisting by the Christians. Yes?

But for the actions of a few, will the many suffer. As one does so do all?

Better to vanquish than be vanquished yes? Good Luck with your fight.

Guest Steve_C
Once again, America is a CHRISTIAN NATION .  An atheist is looked upon as weird, strange, unnatural,  shunned, not to be trusted and evil.  If you don't like it then you should, 1. Keep your ignorance to yourself.  2. Move to Canada or Europe.  3. Go to a church and ask God to forgive you.

Spoken by a true theocratic fascist.

I will never stop standing up for my freedoms as an American.

The United States is a secular nation. The government is structured through the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to be precisely that. Anyone who claims otherwise needs a refresher course on American Government.

Kiss my Godless liberal elitist derriére. I'm not going anywhere. :unsure:

Guest Stop the Stupidity

Once again you compulsion to display your own stupidity and ignorance seems to have overwhelmed you. You'd be well advised to follow Point 1 of your own advice and if you cannot learn what America truly is all about kindly follow Point 2.

Anyone who thinks for themselves looks upon YOU as weird, strange, unnatural, not to be trusted, evil, as well as a LIAR and an insult to the true patriots of history.

Where is the backlash?  Here on KOTW?  Where is Christianity FORCED upon you? Here on KOTW? YouTube?

Funny you should ask...it has been recently forced onto students at Kearny High School.

Let it be a wake-up call to anyone who hasn't noticed...there are a lot of Christians out there who would be more than willing to push their influence into places they shouldn't.

Guest Patriot

The United States is a secular nation. The government is structured through the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to be precisely that. Anyone who claims otherwise needs a refresher course on American Government.

Kiss my Godless liberal elitist derriére. I'm not going anywhere.  :rolleyes:

You say elitist derriere, I say sorry ass. Less than 1% of the population calls themselves atheist. As defective genes go, 1% isn't so bad. I would prefer that you not be allowed to breed, however.

Kiss my Godless liberal elitist derriére. I'm not going anywhere.  :P

Sorry Steve, you don't have a derriere...you're just a plain ol' ass.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
Where is the backlash?  Here on KOTW?  Where is Christianity FORCED upon you? Here on KOTW? YouTube?

I think you seek this conflict in your life.  You are subjected to daily arm twisting by the Christians.  Yes?

But for the actions of a few, will the many suffer.    As one does so do all?

Better to vanquish than be vanquished yes? Good Luck with your fight.

You ask where is the backlash. First, you would have to know my family. You dont.

Second, your post precisely described our presidents view on gay marriage.

Example # 1

"But for the actions of a few, will the many suffer."

This offends HIS religious sensibilities so much that he would like to ammend the constitution.

Example #2

" As one does so do all?

Better to vanquish than be vanquished yes?"

Better to destroy the gays before they destroy us?

This is but one example of what I'm talking about. Do I feel daily arm twisting by Christians? Damn right I do! Especially when someone tries to use a postion of government to further thier religious dogma.

How about that I am treated like an outcast because of what I believe but I don't thrust me beliefs onto others? Maybe "what I believe" is the wrong term. Maybe the term should be is "what I suspect to be true". In the end it doesn't matter what you believe or what I suspect to be true because neither of us can prove it so it really is a moot point. I feel the best we can do in our short time on this rock to to live and let live whithout brow beating those with differing opinions. If you are a Christian, more power to you and I hope everything works they way you hope it will.

Guest Steve_C
You say elitist derriere, I say sorry ass.  Less than 1% of the population calls themselves atheist. As defective genes go, 1% isn't so bad.  I would prefer that you not be allowed to breed, however.

Fascist.

Fascism – A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

I think you have your percentages skewed. But please do provide a link to some data. You know... evidence. Belief in a theist version of god is slipping in the U.S.

By the way genetically everyone is born an atheist... no one is born believing in any gods whatsover. Indoctrination is carried out by parents.

Islam is fastest growing religion on the planet.

I don't think you want to go calling this a Muslim planet do you?

Guest Concerned
You ask where is the backlash. First, you would have to know my family. You dont.

Second, your post precisely described our presidents view on gay marriage.

Example # 1

"But for the actions of a few, will the many suffer."

This  offends HIS religious sensibilities so much that he would like to ammend the constitution.

Example #2

" As one does so do all?

Better to vanquish than be vanquished yes?"

Better to destroy the gays before they destroy us?

This is but one example of what I'm talking about. Do I feel daily arm twisting by Christians? Damn right I do! Especially when someone tries to use a postion of government to further thier religious dogma.

How about that I am treated like an outcast because of what I believe but I don't thrust me beliefs onto others? Maybe "what I believe" is the wrong term. Maybe the term should be is "what I suspect to be true". In the end it doesn't matter what you believe or what I suspect to be true because neither of us can prove it so it really is a moot point. I feel the best we can do in our short time on this rock to to live and let live whithout brow beating those with differing opinions. If you are a Christian, more power to you and I hope everything works they way you hope it will.

I feel the best we can do in our short time on this rock to to live and let live whithout brow beating those with differing opinions. Agreed.

The rest confuses me .... are you making a statement about yourself?

All I read on this forum is opinion vs opinion, belief vs belief and my way vs your way. Mine is always right and everyone else's is, well, is wrong.

You wish the Christian more power and hope his plan sees fruition. ?

Personally I hope to lead a life that is more beneficial than detrimental - pertaining specifically to the world I live in and all it's inhabitants.

Having "said" all that, I wish you well, good luck the rest of the way.

Guest Concerned
Funny you should ask...it has been recently forced onto students at Kearny High School.

Let it be a wake-up call to anyone who hasn't noticed...there are a lot of Christians out there who would be more than willing to push their influence into places they shouldn't.

I believe it was Q&A discussion time and the student in question was intent on playing the teacher right into the scenario we have played out now before us. The student went there with an agenda to fulfill. The student forced it. The teacher went so far as to poll the class as to their feelings about the discussion. Personally, my best teachers/ instructors were the ones who challenged my thinking and beliefs (on many a subject). I was made to think on my feet and I chose to believe what I wanted; I was given that ability by my parents.

I also understand that this student has substantial experience in social activism - am I to believe he was suddenly in fear of having his fragile sensibilities corrupted?

I believe it was Q&A discussion time and the student in question was intent on playing the teacher right into the scenario we have played out now before us.  The student went there with an agenda to fulfill.  The student forced it.  The teacher went so far as to poll the class as to their feelings about the discussion.  Personally, my best teachers/ instructors were the ones who challenged my thinking and beliefs (on many a subject). I was made to think on my feet and I chose to believe what I wanted; I was given that ability by my parents.

I also understand that this student has substantial experience in social activism - am I to believe he was suddenly in fear of having his fragile sensibilities corrupted?

It's a damn poor teacher who allows himself to be manuevered by a student into going somewhere he shouldn't.

Fascist.

I think you have your percentages skewed. But please do provide a link to some data. You know... evidence. Belief in a theist version of god is slipping in the U.S.

Now just who do you think you are expecting PatRat to get off his lazy butt and actually seek out some facts before he posts?

I believe it was Q&A discussion time and the student in question was intent on playing the teacher right into the scenario we have played out now before us.

Forget what you "believe." The recordings are clear--Paszkiewicz brought his dogma into the conversation before any student asked any question about religion. That is the reality.

The student went there with an agenda to fulfill.  The student forced it.

The agenda was to expose the unconsitutional actions of a public school teacher. It was quite noble considering he was unfortunately completely alone in this endeavor.

But please, please explain to me how a student has the capability to FORCE his teacher to say or do ANYTHING in class. That is total BS. You are doing nothing but parroting Paszkiewicz's latest "defense." Without any evidence, of course. What a ridiculous notion--a teacher being somehow forced by a student to say certain things in the classroom by a high school junior. Unbelievable the extent to which you guys will grasp at straws.

The teacher went so far as to poll the class as to their feelings about the discussion.

That's completely irrelevant. Do you believe that a class of high school students has the authority to give Paszkiewicz permission to preach religion in a public school, which is, once again, unconstitutional? That's just absurd.

Personally, my best teachers/ instructors were the ones who challenged my thinking and beliefs (on many a subject). I was made to think on my feet and I chose to believe what I wanted; I was given that ability by my parents.

No. This is a straw man. Matthew acted in the way he did, not in fear of being corrupted in any way, but because his teacher was preaching in class. Simple as that. Public school teachers simply CANNOT do that! And he called him on it. That's all there is to it.

I believe it was Q&A discussion time and the student in question was intent on playing the teacher right into the scenario we have played out now before us.  The student went there with an agenda to fulfill.  The student forced it.  The teacher went so far as to poll the class as to their feelings about the discussion.  Personally, my best teachers/ instructors were the ones who challenged my thinking and beliefs (on many a subject). I was made to think on my feet and I chose to believe what I wanted; I was given that ability by my parents.

That's not the point. A public school teacher may not express his opinions supporting a set of religious beliefs in class. Doesn't matter how the subject arises, who starts it, what the question is, who it comes from or anything else. All of that is completely irrelevant in the law.

However, the fact is this teacher raised nearly every one of these issues himself. Matthew did not raise any of them. Other students did, but Matthew only picked up on threads that were ongoing. Doesn't matter whether Matthew was personally offended. The teacher violated the Constitution. The reason he is being defended by people who don't understand the Constitution is that they want the Christian religion preached in the public schools. That is not an excuse for tearing down the Constitution.

Guest Steve_C

Matt had a history for standing up for his constitutional rights. He questions arbitrary authority. We all should.

Matt didn't have to steer the conversation at all. Mr. P has a history of spewing his personal beliefs and his ignorance of science. You are certainly allowed to talk about religion and politics in an objective way. Mr. P wasn't doing that at all.

Does anyone here think that talking about dinosaurs on the fricking Ark as part of the curriculum?

ANY CURRICULUM? Other than a creationist homeschooler I mean. Which Mr. P happens to be too.

Mr. P is not competent for as a teacher if he can't compartmentalize his looney beliefs from scientific evidence and established curriculum.

Guest Concerned
Matt had a history for standing up for his constitutional rights. He questions arbitrary authority. We all should.

Matt didn't have to steer the conversation at all. Mr. P has a history of spewing his personal beliefs and his ignorance of science. You are certainly allowed to talk about religion and politics in an objective way. Mr. P wasn't doing that at all.

Does anyone here think that talking about dinosaurs on the fricking Ark as part of the curriculum?

ANY CURRICULUM? Other than a creationist homeschooler I mean. Which Mr. P happens to be too.

Mr. P is not competent for as a teacher if he can't compartmentalize his looney beliefs from scientific evidence and established curriculum.

Well where do you think the dinosaurs came from then smarty pants? I hardly think you need to call it a "fricking" ark - that's just uncivilized.

And like wow, compartmentalize, (I hurt my head just typing that), I think that is exactly what he did, he seperated his own thoughts/beliefs from the others.

I just need to know why, with such a reputation, this here Preacher Man never had another student run screaming into the hall or at least complain to an authority figure with more than mush for grey matter? Maybe mention it to a parent in passing?

Are you telling me all these sheep in KHS and it takes this student to sound the alarm? Wow, that sounds a little insulting.

When should I expect the made for TV mini series to air? Maybe a comic book with our hero on the cover, cape and all.

Hey, look, I'm just a J. O. with a straw, stirring the pot ...... just like all of you.

It's tiring to read how simple minded and one tracked you all are just like the Christian "Right" you so vehemently attack lest they take over, teach about the one true way and tear up, down and all around that Constitution thing.

No Constitutional rights were taken away, compromised or otherwise infringed upon. Really, do the math, (see my post elsewhere - Interesting, hmmmmmm).

No arm twisting( at least none I heard about), or punishment extended for being a "non-believer". The student won't be actually going to hell, it doesn't exist to him. He heard another persons ideas and obviously didn't agree with them, that's good, he's got the right not to.

Now everything is right - the teacher has been tucked back in, safely silenced. The student is free once again to resume his education. Everyone and everything adhering to the established curriculum, no challenging or adversarial content allowed. Forging new horizons cautiously ahead - on the straight and narrow.

PS. Don't waste your time picking this apart with little comments highlighted. It's irrelevant and doesn't matter just like you say. I know when I have met my intellectual superiors, B) . Have fun.