Nepotism

Guest guest_Guest

Guest guest_Guest

Harrison has always been all about nepotism. Though most of these posts are witty and informative, do any of these complaints get aired at the right venue? Do they get challenged at the town meetings infront of the Mayor and council?

My bet is no as Harrison has always been about intimadation as well.....

It is sad. Harrison was a decent place at one time, with good people and proud residents who could get jobs at the companies that resided there. That is gone and one little Hampton Inn on the Pasaic and new condos will not benefit the town. It will only overcrowd the schools and streets worse than they are now.

How long do you think it will take before the hotel is the next Lincoln hotel and the condos become projects???

Guest guest_Guest

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

nepotism

n : favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power (as by giving them jobs)

Maybe you were unsure of the meaning of the word.....

You have to be kidding...good one

Guest Guest
My bet is no as Harrison has always been about intimadation as well.....
INTIMIDATION IS BIG IN THIS TOWN, LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT COUNCILMAN MILAN. HE WENT AGAINST THE REGIEM A LITTLE AND LOST!!

Guest guest_Guest

Please forgive me, I must be mistaken. NOT one town employee is related somehow to anyone in the position to hand out jobs in Harrison.

Guest Guest_guest
Please forgive me, I must be mistaken. NOT one town employee is related somehow to anyone in the position to hand out jobs in Harrison.
That will make any new mayors job easier or harder?? I think easier, because their are fewer jobs he has to get rid of. I think it comes down to a few families. I think that might be a new topic. WHAT FAMILIES REAP THE MOST BENEFITS FROM THIS TOWN. I would start with the mayors, then Powells, higgins,.....

Guest guest_Guest

Harrison Dem wants names and positions...I am sure it would read like a family tree...

He/She knows exactly who they are....

Intimadating tone don't you think?

Guest Guest

Millan is the only one who believed in nepotism. The little king of Harrison, he is out of office and his people are still in all the seats. We got rid of him its time to get rid of "his people". Once we clean house, the mayor and council can do the jobs they were elected to do. Villalta is the first true hispanic councilman, and he has done more in just 3 months than Millan had done in his entire career, and no one in his family has gotten a job or an appartment at the gardens or a job at the Board of Ed.

Guest guest_Guest

Thats wonderful, Harrison is probably 85% hispanic, and the powers that be actually let ONE hispanic win the vote. I hope you are not that naive'. Why should Millan's "people" go and not the others? Nepotism is Nepotism no matter what side you are on....

Guest Guest
85% hispanic, did anyone forget that this is America? Why do we need hispanic politicians, this isn't Spain!
You have to get over Millan, Tommy. He's actually a great guy and would do wonders for this town. You can't be scared of us Bi-Lingual people.

bi-linguial people are fine, but they should keep their language for talking at

home, and speak English in the English public, just the way all our ancestors did.

A great many in this town don't know English and don't want nor have to learn.

This is why we get upset with them. I would not go to another country without

trying to learn the language of that country. It.s called respect for the country

you are in.

Guest Guest

home, and speak English in the English public, just the way all our ancestors did.

trying to learn the language of that country. It.s called respect for the country

you are in.

Hey lady let me ask you one thing? What is this nations National Language??? Look it it up and let me know. Your not going to find one. This was a melting pot. Like our ancestors, unless your american Indian, you came from some where. Your ancestors left some country to come to this one and when they did, they didn't speak the language so hot! so come at me with another one wise a$$. Get educated and stop being such an ignorant fool!!!

you are in.

Hey lady let me ask you one thing? What is this nations National Language??? Look it it up and let me know. Your not going to find one. This was a melting pot. Like our ancestors, unless your american Indian, you came from some where. Your ancestors left some country to come to this one and when they did, they didn't speak the language so hot! so come at me with another one wise a$$. Get educated and stop being such an ignorant fool!!!

you are assuming that I am a woman? They didn't speak the language so Hot.

What language is that? Yes there is no so called National Language. but English

is the majority and majority rules. Why are you so arrogant and nasty? We are

voicing our opinions and views, which is our American right. this is not the war

zone. Grow up!

Guest guest_Guest

How ignorant are you? You sound like you should be living in Alabama. You can not tell me if your parents/grandparents were straight from Italy/Poland that they spoke English in public!

America was build by immigrants, they all worked and educated themselves to build this country.

THAT IS WHY IT IS SO GREAT!!

Face it. There are more hispanics in Harrison now than there are Americans! They should have more than ONE hispanic planted councilman.

Guest What did you say

Wait a minute, I thought the hispanics that live in Harrison were "Americans". I guess the truth finally comes out after all. Everyone is welcome in this country but when the choose to come here you also must choose to accept our customs, culture and language which is a very important ingredient of that. If you like the customs, culture and language of Spain or whatever other country you might choose or be from, simply go back their. This is America, we should all be Americans when we choose to live here to raise our children. Accept that!

• 2 months later...
Harrison Public Library

Board of Trustees

Miss Mary Victoria McDonough, President

Mrs. Constance McDonough, Vice President

Mrs. Concetta Gregory, Secretary

Mrs. Doreen Higgins

Mrs. Maureen Gilmore

Mrs. Carol Hogan

Mr. Jack Murray

Honorable Mayor Raymond McDonough

Acting Director

Ellen N. Lucas

Recognize any of these names?

Guest Guest

you are in.

First of all, for the other person that stated that this isn't Spain relating to 85% hispanics....Spaniards are not Hispanic...idiot! They are Europeans.....just like the Italians, and Portuguese, and French...if you want to get technical, the Portuguese, Spaniards, French, and Italians are Latinos...because they speak the Latin language...however, in this country it got so convoluted that they refer to the south americans as Latinos only.

Onto the other topic of people having to speak English in the streets:

Just because people speak another language other than English in the streets it does not mean that they are being discourteous, it's just that they're speaking what they feel most comfortable with, among people that can understand them. If two Chinese people are walking down the street speaking Chinese, why do they have to stop and speak english aroudn someone that doesnt' understand Chinese? It doesn't make any sense to me....they are not shunning anyone away. They are having their own conversations. It is sad that you feel so threatend by other people that can speak another language and do not speak what you are most comfortable with aroudn you...must you know what is going on in everyone's conversations? or do you have such an ego that you think EVERYONE is talking about you and you must know what they are saying? sheesh, get off it already.

Are you saying that the ones that speak more than one language should only speak that language at home?! basically saying that they should be embarrased and hide it from others so no one else knows that they can? Moron!

And I can't think of any one person that states that they want to take a trip to France, or Italy, or Greece but need to learn the language first before they take a trip out there...that's just ludicrous. So that crap you state about learning the language first before you visit, that's just crap to me....either that, or it's your lame excuse for not visiting any other non-English speaking country.

Guest Guest

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/news/2004/pr040...40504_hud.shtml

Commissioner Susan Bass Levin Awards $90,000 in

Livable Communities Grants in Hudson County

DCA Commissioner Susan Bass Levin presents Harrison Town with a $40,000 Livable Communities Grant for municipal ADA assistance. Pictured from left to right are: Ellen Lucas, Library Director; Commissioner Levin; and Beth Higgins, Chief Financial Officer.

Trenton, N.J. - New Jersey Department of Community Affairs Commissioner Susan Bass Levin today announced that two Hudson County municipalities were awarded a total of $90,000 in Livable Communities Grants for municipal ADA assistance. The funding will be used to bring historic buildings in Harrison and Jersey City into compliance with ADA requirements.

"Here in New Jersey, Governor McGreevey and I are dedicated to making sure the buildings that provide services for our communities are safe, accessible and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act," Commissioner Levin said. "Livable Communities Grants give our local governments the funding they need to make these critical improvements."

Specifically, Harrison received a $40,000 Livable Communities Grant to retrofit the restrooms adjacent to the new children's library in the basement of its public library. With its grant, Harrison will also purchase and install a handicapped accessible wheelchair lift at the Harrison Water Department building, which was built in the 1930s.

"On behalf of all the people of Harrison, I want to thank Governor McGreevey and Commissioner Levin for this grant that will help us retrofit bathrooms in the Harrison Public Library and make the library more accessible for everyone," said Harrison Mayor Raymond J. McDonough of Harrison.

Archived