RED BULLS STADIUM

harrison_resident

Ok Ladies (and some men)

There is a positive to the Red Bulls Stadium so you can all stop complaining for a little while........When L.A. Galaxy come to Harrison to play the Red Bulls we will have the privilege of seeing David Beckham all sweaty, HOT and Gorgeous !!!!!!!

You can't tell me you're not looking forward to that. I am!!!!

:blink:

Ok Ladies (and some men)

There is a positive to the Red Bulls Stadium so you can all stop complaining for a little while........When L.A. Galaxy come to Harrison to play the Red Bulls we will have the privilege of seeing David Beckham all sweaty, HOT and Gorgeous !!!!!!!

You can't tell me you're not looking forward to that.  I am!!!!

:wub:

Then your just NUTS!!!!!! who the heck cares

Ok Ladies (and some men)

Once the Redevelopment starts, people will see how much better the projects will be, how the trash will start to move out of town, and how our taxes will stabilize and may even be lower! All this because of the STADIUM!!!!! YOU'LL SEE!!!!

Guest BlueTideBacker
Ok Ladies (and some men)

I won't be able to see the game, I've started working a second job to pay my taxes.

Ok Ladies (and some men)

WHO?

Guest Anti Traffic & Higher Taxes
how are the POOR souls of Harrison going to afford a ticket? answer that question.  just because they live here does not mean they will get the tickets for free or 1/2 price.

The Mayor negotitated a box seat for all the residents of Harrison since we fronted $40 million dollars for the billionaire owners of the Red Bulsl. Oh, I'm sorry. The Mayor negotiated a box seat for himself and his buddies only since we fronted $40 million dollars for the billionaire owners of the Red Bulls.

The Mayor negotitated a box seat for all the residents of Harrison since we fronted $40 million dollars for the billionaire owners of the Red Bulsl.  Oh, I'm sorry.  The Mayor negotiated a box seat for himself and his buddies only since we fronted $40 million dollars for the billionaire owners of the Red Bulls.

This is fine since Beckham is coming to play in Harrison. It is worth the 40 million. maybe he can come to the gardens to sign autographs for us.

• 1 month later...
Guest Poor Link

Here is the story. Don't worry Mayor McDumb and Petie the Liar will bond another $50 million to bail them out. Whats another 50 million especially when you'll be retired collecting an inflated pension and giggling the quarters in your stuffed pockets.

Millan was right on: These guys are corrupt fools.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

By IVES GALARCEP

HERALD NEWS COLUMNIST

Red Bull, the energy drink maker with the deep pockets and reputation for succeeding at everything it tries, was supposed to be a savior. The company's history of turning investments into gold mines made you believe that it was capable of turning around even the most unsuccessful club in Major League Soccer. So when Red Bull bought the MetroStars a year ago, many people believed that it would only be a matter of time before the club's new owner would make its mark.

The anniversary of Red Bull's purchase of its MLS franchise came and went last Friday and there is strong evidence to suggest that the new owners have done more harm than good to a franchise that endured enough disappointment in the previous 11 years.

From a soccer standpoint you can argue that Red Bull made a bold move by landing Bruce Arena and handing him the reins of the club's soccer operations. Arena is slowly but surely building a team that is stronger than the one he inherited last summer and he has given fans a reason to feel optimistic heading into 2007.

While the soccer side looks stable, it is the business side that has been surprisingly shaky since last year's sale. Red Bull figured to provide the club with strong leadership on the business front, but the club has suffered in every area of business imaginable and the result was a nightmarish first season.

How bad was Red Bull's first season as owners of the former MetroStars? According to sources with knowledge of the club's finances, the Red Bulls lost $14 million last year, the largest single-season losses in MLS history.

How did things get this bad? A combination of elaborate spending, failed attempts to market the club and the massive losses of corporate sponsorships has left the Red Bulls in the type of financial shambles the club hasn't seen since 1999, its worst season.

SOCCER BY IVES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the clubs to the World Cup, Ives Galarcep has the world of soccer covered.

Visit the blog

You can start with corporate sponsorships, which often serve as a team's financial lifeblood. The MetroStars were among the league leaders in corporate sponsorships in the years prior to the Red Bulls' takeover. Since taking over, Red Bull has let that once healthy revenue stream dwindle down to a trickle as sponsors have jumped ship in droves.

Club insiders suggest that Red Bull has a new plan in mind where only a select few big-money sponsors would serve as the team's partners. It sounds like a good plan except for the fact that as of Friday the club has yet to secure a deal with a single new corporate sponsor.

Then you have the drastic decline in attendance. If you attended a Red Bulls game last season you are fully aware that attendance hit lows not seen in years. The team's official attendance totals for the season don't tell the story of a painful summer of sparse crowds that made it easy to forget the spectacle of opening day, when Red Bull broke the bank for an elaborate halftime show featuring Shakira as well as an appearance from Pele.

The numbers don't lie. From the team's second home game of 2006 until its 14th, not counting a doubleheader with the Ecuadorian national team that drew 52,425, the Red Bulls' average attendance was 9,113. The team drew well in its home opener, courtesy of a small fortune being spent on marketing, as well as in its final two home games, courtesy of large groups of youth soccer teams.

So what happened for those other 12 games? Sources blamed the small crowds on Red Bull, which chose not to spend money on marketing after being disappointed with the 35,793 that showed up for the expensive season-opening show. Did the team learn anything from this embarrassment? It doesn't appear that way. The home opener is a month away (April 15 vs. FC Dallas) and there has been no evidence to suggest that the Red Bulls have devoted any sort of money toward marketing that game or the upcoming season.

As if the loss of corporate sponsors and the decline in ticket sales wasn't enough, the best evidence that the club's business struggles are ongoing can be found in its handling of its television contract situation. The club's previous contract with Madison Square Garden Network expired after last season and most observers believed the Red Bulls would be able to secure an improved deal with the continued growth of Major League Soccer as well as team's commitment to transforming its soccer team into a powerhouse.

It hasn't worked out that way. The 2007 season is less than a month away and the Red Bulls have yet to finalize a new television contract. The club was in discussions with SportsNet New York (SNY) and MSG, and appear to have settled on trying to reach a deal with MSG, but with each passing day the potential contract becomes less appealing for all involved. How much advertising is MSG going to be able to sell for games on such short notice? More importantly for Red Bull, how good a television contract can the club possibly secure with such poor bargaining position and so little time remaining to hammer out a deal?

Who is the blame for what can only be described as a complete failure of a first year in business? Red Bulls Managing Director Marc deGrandpre will shoulder most of the blame and he certainly deserves his share, but the real guilty party is Red Bull itself for believing that it could hand the reigns of a professional sports franchise over to a 32-year-old marketing director with absolutely no experience in professional sports.

The result has been a club with no direction in the board room, a business that has burned more bridges than napalm in the past year.

To be fair, Red Bull did help finalize the deal for a soccer stadium that was years in the making. The company also has more than $100 million invested into making its MLS club a success. As successful as Red Bull has been in so many different ventures (from soccer to auto racing) you would expect the Austrian company to learn from its mistakes. Then again, you wouldn't have expected Red Bull to get things so wrong the first time around.

Will year number two be any better for Red Bull? Things won't get any better until the soft drink maker realizes that there is big difference between selling small silver cans of an energy drink to consumers that can't get enough and trying to sell a soccer team to a skeptical public.

Reach Ives Galarcep at (973) 569-7077 or galarcep@northjersey.com

Guest Guest
What happens when the Red Bulls go belly up and we're stuck with an empty stadium ??  Our (retired) town officials will read about it while lying on the beach at LBI.

We have heard a lot about the new stadium, but many of us are interested in the new parking garage that is supposed to finance the new stadium. When can we expect to hear about the new garage? The garage should have been started first because it may be a salvation for the taxpayers that are going to get stuck with the bill for the new stadium.

Guest BlueTideBacker
We have heard a lot about the new stadium, but many of us are interested in the new parking garage that is supposed to finance the new stadium.  When can we expect to hear about the new garage?  The garage should have been started first because it may be a salvation for the taxpayers that are going to get stuck with the bill for the new stadium.

Sorry to disappoint you but the County gets the profits from the parking garage.

Guest what about parking

Forget about the bill, we will also be left with many of the "few" fans parking throughout the town. This alone will cause many problems for the residents. My fellow people, please expect a lot of fights after each game, there will be many drunk people walking through town looking for their cars.

Guest Guest
Forget about the bill, we will also be left with many of the  "few" fans parking throughout the town.  This alone will cause many problems for the residents.  My fellow people, please expect a lot of fights after each game, there will be many drunk people walking through town looking for their cars.

Hey Karnack, could you give me the winning lottery number for tonites drawing. This should be easy since you seem to think you can see the future.

Guest BlueTideBacker
Hey Karnack, could you give me the winning lottery number for tonites drawing.  This should be easy since you seem to think you can see the future.

It doesn't take Karnack to see the parking deck is too small for a capacity crowd in the stadium.

Guest Path user

What happened to the sidewalk on South Rodgers? The Red Bulls took it out and never put another sidewalk down. Now I have to walk in the street. With the snow its dangerous. If I did construction and removed my sidewalk, I'd have to put it back why doesn't the Building Department cite them for this. This is dangerous to the public.

Guest Guest
Forget about the bill, we will also be left with many of the  "few" fans parking throughout the town.  This alone will cause many problems for the residents.  My fellow people, please expect a lot of fights after each game, there will be many drunk people walking through town looking for their cars.

They won't be looking all over for their cars because there will be no place to park.

Guest Guest
It doesn't take Karnack to see  the parking deck is too small for a capacity crowd in the stadium.

The parking deck is part of the 4,167 parking spots available to the Stadium patrons. Many are going to use mass transit: the PATH, a new bus route, and hopefully we'll be able to get a train station reopened! David Copperfield

Guest Former Town Official
Manny Amaral was on  NJN News after testifying in Trenton.

Why is that we need to take Amaral's business?

Aren't the developers the sons of a convicted "developer" felon and friend of convicted Bobby J.

NJN Newscast on Eminent Domain

The mayor and council should be ashamed of what they're doing to Amaral. This guy has been in business for many years, paid his taxes, poured his heart and soul into his business and has been a model citizen. For that he gets his property and business "stolen" from him. "Eminent Domain" was never intended to take legitimate, thriving businesses in order to make some developer rich. Because a judge ruled in favor of the town in this issue does not make it morally right to go through with this "legal lynching".

Guest Guest in the know
Manny Amaral was on  NJN News after testifying in Trenton.

Why is that we need to take Amaral's business?

Aren't the developers the sons of a convicted "developer" felon and friend of convicted Bobby J.

NJN Newscast on Eminent Domain

See the March 7th Observer (Kearny) there's an interesting articke on pages 2 and 3 about Mr Amaral and Mr. Adler and how they lied and tried to manipulate the system in order to get more money and sympathy. Their Case is now CLOSED AND IT WILL ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS!

Guest guest
It doesn't take Karnack to see  the parking deck is too small for a capacity crowd in the stadium.

TRUE. AT LEAST 1/2 TO 2/3 OF THE PEOPLE WILL TAKE THEIR CAR AS THEY DO NOW IN THE MEADOWLANDS; ESPECIALLY IF IT IS SERVERAL PEOPLE IN A FAMILY OR a few friemds in 1 car. we don't have enough parking for that many people! Are there parking destinations in the plans, to accomodate more cars. if the need arises?

Guest Parking lots
TRUE.  AT LEAST 1/2 TO 2/3 OF THE PEOPLE WILL TAKE THEIR CAR AS THEY DO NOW IN THE MEADOWLANDS; ESPECIALLY IF IT  IS SERVERAL PEOPLE IN A FAMILY OR a few friemds in 1 car.  we don't have enough parking for that many people!  Are there parking destinations in the plans,  to accomodate more cars. if the need arises?

Mark my words there will be several privately owned parking lots near the stadium. I'm sure they will be owned and secretly operated by the town employees or possibly their family members