Kearny Teachers

Guest Kearny Taxpayer

Look at the Kearny Schools website. Click on 2015-2016 budget. Scroll down and you will come upon the secretary "executive assistant" (what a joke) and her "G.L." salary is $86,000.00, ($3,340.00 Bonus) employee benefit package of $30,715 and 39 days she can take off. Now at the last BOE meeting she was just given an 8.5% raise which now puts her at almost $100,000.00 !! Yes, the BOE has a $100K "secretary" and a $30K benefit on top of that..........but the Board has no money to pay college graduates, some holding masters degrees , hard working educators, go figure. The hell with our kids just keep funding our friends.

That's insane $$$$ for a secretary! Wow shocked!

Look at the Kearny Schools website. Click on 2015-2016 budget. Scroll down and you will come upon the secretary "executive assistant" (what a joke) and her "G.L." salary is $86,000.00, ($3,340.00 Bonus) employee benefit package of $30,715 and 39 days she can take off. Now at the last BOE meeting she was just given an 8.5% raise which now puts her at almost $100,000.00 !! Yes, the BOE has a $100K "secretary" and a $30K benefit on top of that..........but the Board has no money to pay college graduates, some holding masters degrees , hard working educators, go figure. The hell with our kids just keep funding our friends.

Yet we have teachers with their Masters making $50K and paying off high interest student loans and people complain they're making to much! And I'm guessing this is just one of many examples of how the B.A. And B.O.E. mismanages tax payers money!

Stop a minute, relax and take a deep breath. Now look at the raises going to the unions that already settled their contracts. It's 8.5% over 3 years. So if everyone else is getting 8.5% then what are the teachers holding out for?

First the union secretaries have much lower salaries to begin with than the non union board secretaries doing the same type of work. The union secretaries (same is true of the teachers) receive their 2.5% per year on the whole group in their association which, after steps, translates to about a half of a percent per employee. The non union secretaries each receive the full percentage raise on their individual salaries. Some big difference. By the way, if you think paying the executive secretary to the Superintendent $100,000 per year isn't out of line, then there is nothing more I can say. Does she have an MA + 32?

True, but if they AGREE to that, then it's covered. Once it is imposed, than that Slippery slope is created. With the Teachers, they'll just do what they always do, screw over the new and unborn, by adding steps to new hires.... eventually it will get to the point where if you don't start teaching the day you graduate from college, you'll never reach top pay before you are forced out by mandatory retirement.

That's the most untrue and stupidest thing I've heard from the ignorant in a while. The last contract closed up steps making it easier for the new hires to reach the top. There will not be new steps added.

Retro would cover the newer teachers because they have missed step raises where even without a contract raise they would have gotten a step raise last year and again this year. That step raise they would/should receive retroactively. The teachers at the top won't receive anything even with a retroactive raise because they don't have step raises after step 15.

From my understanding, they aren't offering 8.5 over three years to the teachers - much, much less and they want to add uncompensated hours to the day and days to the school year. This might or might not be true, but that's what has been going through the teachers' rooms.

The teachers are not the villains here.

Guest Kearny Citizen

There is no reason that the Teachers should not get their retro pay. The town was eager to give the Firefighters generous back pay in the costly 2015 contract settlement. The town is creating a caste system of the elite (Firefighters) vs. the peasants (Teachers). It's disgraceful, discriminatory and sexist. The Teachers are majority female while the Firefighters are 98% men. Why does the town have such bias against women in contract negotiations? The State of NJ should get involved and demand that the female dominant Teachers union be treated equally as the golden child male Firefighters.

The teachers are getting S*****d.. That's the truth.. Everyone got their contract except the teachers. They are just looking for whats fair. Did you ever look past the front hallway, The building is a disgrace I go there for night school and The filth and mold on the walls and hallways are of a third world country.

The poor kids and Teachers terrible

Edited by KOTW
Content.

First the union secretaries have much lower salaries to begin with than the non union board secretaries doing the same type of work. The union secretaries (same is true of the teachers) receive their 2.5% per year on the whole group in their association which, after steps, translates to about a half of a percent per employee. The non union secretaries each receive the full percentage raise on their individual salaries. Some big difference. By the way, if you think paying the executive secretary to the Superintendent $100,000 per year isn't out of line, then there is nothing more I can say. Does she have an MA + 32?

People should be outraged by this! And stand behind the people who teach our children!

Why the hell did I mortgage my future on a GRADUATE DEGREE when I could've made twice as much going to secretarial school?

Can someone please tell me what the educational qualifications, certificates or degrees one needs to be able to apply for a $100,000 dollar non-union secretary job in the Kearny School System?

I'm thinking of making a career change!

That's the most untrue and stupidest thing I've heard from the ignorant in a while. The last contract closed up steps making it easier for the new hires to reach the top. There will not be new steps added.

Retro would cover the newer teachers because they have missed step raises where even without a contract raise they would have gotten a step raise last year and again this year. That step raise they would/should receive retroactively. The teachers at the top won't receive anything even with a retroactive raise because they don't have step raises after step 15.

From my understanding, they aren't offering 8.5 over three years to the teachers - much, much less and they want to add uncompensated hours to the day and days to the school year. This might or might not be true, but that's what has been going through the teachers' rooms.

The teachers are not the villains here.

Wasnt saying they were the Villains this time around, but the KEA has in the past been quick to eat their own...which is why there are 19+ steps now.

Guest KPDRetired

There is no reason that the Teachers should not get their retro pay. The town was eager to give the Firefighters generous back pay in the costly 2015 contract settlement. The town is creating a caste system of the elite (Firefighters) vs. the peasants (Teachers). It's disgraceful, discriminatory and sexist. The Teachers are majority female while the Firefighters are 98% men. Why does the town have such bias against women in contract negotiations? The State of NJ should get involved and demand that the female dominant Teachers union be treated equally as the golden child male Firefighters.

Son, you need to get your Meds adjusted

***Kearny and Harrison Pay***

School Superintendent: $200,000 +

Mayor's Secretary (H): $130,000 +

Firefighter: $110,000 +

B.O.E. Secretary: $100,000 +

Department Heads: $100,000 +

Police Officer: $ 90,000

TEACHER: $ 50,000

***Residents***

Property Taxes: $10,000 +

Property Values: Down

Crime: Up

Streets: Dirty

Savings: $0

Messed up West Hudson!

Wasnt saying they were the Villains this time around, but the KEA has in the past been quick to eat their own...which is why there are 19+ steps now.

You are completely uninformed - the last contract was shortened from 16 to 15 steps. Please get the correct information before you put this misinformation on a public forum.

Teachers have a good job. I don't know of any job that pays you to be off two months.

Get paid time off for major holidays. That imcludes two weeks off with pay. Some teachers get a bonus for their years of service. Some teachers get paid to coach.

They get paid to do home instruction.

Let's stop comparing teachers with other professions. The teachers with years of service made it bad for teachers just starting their career. They asked for high raises,

causing younger teachers to get less pay. Teachers need to settle their contract.

Teachers have a good job. I don't know of any job that pays you to be off two months.

Get paid time off for major holidays. That imcludes two weeks off with pay. Some teachers get a bonus for their years of service. Some teachers get paid to coach.

Let's stop comparing teachers with other professions. The teachers with years of service made it bad for teachers just starting their career. They asked for high raises,

causing younger teachers to get less pay. Teachers need to settle their contract.

Really? I don't recall a Kearny teacher contract over the last 30 that was more than around 3% a year. So far during the Christie administration, teachers are paying more for pension and benefits. In the last KBOE contract it was the younger teachers that made out the best. Of course the exception was the KEA president who set herself up nicely and also secured jobs for a few of her family members. As someone posted above the KEA is indeed "quick to eat their own".

Most of these teachers went to school as long and paid as much for that education as most lawyers! Why don't you go around griping about how much lawyers make?

No The BOE needs to settle this contract!

They don't get paid thru the summer! Their contract is for ten months, they can take their pay spread out over twelve months or take more in the envelope over ten months and have no check over the summer months! Teachers do not get paid for summers off!

Im not sure if taking ten months worth of income and dividing it among twelve months (which allows the district to earn interest on teachers wages) constitutes getting "paid" in the Summer.

Actually most jobs give you two weeks paid vacation. Teachers don't get paid for the summer. They have the option of dividing it over twelve months. Its like a Christmas fund but handled by the boe instead a local bank.

Its true teachers get paid for home instruction but why wouldn't they? My neighbor's sun was home schooled. His teacher spent a lot of time with him. Its a nice service that I'm glad is there but hope I will never have to use it.

Two teachers who educate anywhere from 40 to 180 student collectively.....cost 88k

One secretary...... Getting coffee and answering the phone...... 100k

This is an example of a poorly managed system. Hiring the good old boys....( and girls) needs to stop if Kearny is to be ran correctly. Giving your highschool buddy a job, helping out family members, turning the blind eye away from mismanaged funds.......is this a school system or a fraternity?

They should freeze the top step and give the raise to the poor kid paying back student loans and living with there mom. That would also help shorten the difference between the top and bottom.

Maybe we should get the zoning board on the same page as the boe. Every time they cram a new condo, townhouse, or rezone a single family that board is inviting more and more people into Kearny. The income generated from these new units do not cover the cost of schools, fire, police, parks, street cleaners, river keeper's, dog catchers, metermaids, dpw workers. Why do you think Kearny is experiencing this problem in just the recent past? Because a teacher got a 2% raise on 40k? The problem is not the contract or the fireman , its the influx of freeloaders who s**k the town dry and put little into it. How many kids can you fit into a two bedroom apartment with a rent of 800 a month..... I bet the answer is very close to three. Four maybe five people using town resources while only paying 800.00. Wow what a great deal. Why don't we just give our town away?......oh wait that exactly what we are doing.

We are giving our town away, to the developers. They get a PILOT for every project.

The BOE gets no money from these projects. The town is paid.

How can the town continue to take away money from the schools?

There has to be an agreement with the schools and the town that some funds need to go to the schools.

As taxpayers we should be upset about the deals the town is making with these developers. How about the town making some deals with schools and taxpayers.