The future of atheism.

Guest Kearny Christian

Guest Kearny Christian

Atheists are an endangered species. The few that I have known have been angry and hostile individuals. Their anger and hostility effects people around them to the degree they have few friends and have a difficult family life. Atheists don't make attractive life partners, people I know would never marry an atheist. Our resident atheist here on KOTW is a perfect example of the anger and hostility. He's probably an unmarried loner living by himself, venting his anger and hostility on his computer. And of course we all know that most aging atheists come to God for forgiveness. As the saying goes; there's no atheists in foxholes.

Atheists are an endangered species. The few that I have known have been angry and hostile individuals. Their anger and hostility effects people around them to the degree they have few friends and have a difficult family life. Atheists don't make attractive life partners, people I know would never marry an atheist. Our resident atheist here on KOTW is a perfect example of the anger and hostility. He's probably an unmarried loner living by himself, venting his anger and hostility on his computer. And of course we all know that most aging atheists come to God for forgiveness. As the saying goes; there's no atheists in foxholes.

You poor, pathetic creature, imagining that you can justify yourself by demeaning others.

In point of fact, atheism is on the rise. Our numbers are growing, as is our willingness to speak out. As a group, we are as well-adjusted as anyone else. And though you may not like it, we have happy and long-lasting marriages, and we reproduce. (So watch out.) The highest divorce rates in the USA are in the Bible belt. Perhaps you would care to explain that.

And as usual, you're just making up a story. Just like you do with your fairy-tale religion. Because, you see, it's just like I've been telling you: when you are conditioned to think that making up stories is a good way to live, you do it whenever it suits you.

Atheists are an endangered species. The few that I have known have been angry and hostile individuals. Their anger and hostility effects people around them to the degree they have few friends and have a difficult family life. Atheists don't make attractive life partners, people I know would never marry an atheist.

In fact, atheists do marry at a lower rate than Christians, on the order of 65% to 78%. This does not at all fit the picture you're trying to paint. However, atheists' divorce rates are slightly lower too, although the disparity is within the error range for statistical sampling.

As for the atheists you know personally, perhaps their treatment of you has something to do with your disrespect. And no, I wouldn't imagine that people who attend your church would marry an atheist; however the feeling, no doubt, is mutual.

As always, you'll do absolutely anything to avoid talking about the religion you claim to believe in.

That's because you don't really believe in it yourself.

And you'll make up any story to avoid having to face the truth - which is what your religion trains you to do. It's exactly the same thing. So keep writing. You make the case every time your post.

I know people get tired of hearing it, but it's true.

You know it's a myth.

If your views represent Christianity, then yours is the endangered species.

Instead of judging people you don't even know, read about atheists in their own words.

Keep in mind also that many people are atheists without calling themselves that. For we who are at peace with our atheism, there's no need for the label. It would be like calling ourselves a-unicornists because we don't believe in unicorns. We're not going to label ourselves by focusing on what we are not. Obviously, it's an issue for you, because you keep bringing it up. But no one here has self-described as an atheist, and none of these topics promotes atheism. They criticize a particular theistic narrative.

For us, it's not a personal issue, if we are peace with our atheism. The only issues are social and cultural. It isn't so much that you don't understand that; it's that you don't try. And if you don't try to understand your brothers and sisters, no matter who they are, then you have no business calling yourself a Christian. Ask most of the ministers in town, they'll tell you the same thing. Because they are good people, just like most atheists are good people. Where do you truly think you will stand on "the judgment day", if there is one? You might want to give that some thought. Because if you're right about the one thing, you could be in for a big surprise on the other. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." [Matthew 7:1.]

Lol, you're a big fan of fiction aren't you? This entire post is nothing more than projection of your own empty existence.

Holy Sh*t, it's obvious that you weren't taught by nuns of yore. Or maybe they were Sisters of Charity---then my condolences to you. If I had a red pen and the internet would be so apt, I would mark up that comment for so many grammatical errors.

I'm an atheist. But I don't think I fall into your "lonely" category. Quite happy and content...thanks for asking.

And I don't suspect that I will be proclaiming any belief in the divine on my death bed. If I did, the most alive and functioning me would be so ashamed of myself. But that's me---exactly what I want to be.

Holy Sh*t, it's obvious that you weren't taught by nuns of yore. Or maybe they were Sisters of Charity---then my condolences to you. If I had a red pen and the internet would be so apt, I would mark up that comment for so many grammatical errors.

I'm an atheist. But I don't think I fall into your "lonely" category. Quite happy and content...thanks for asking.

And I don't suspect that I will be proclaiming any belief in the divine on my death bed. If I did, the most alive and functioning me would be so ashamed of myself. But that's me---exactly what I want to be.

Grammatical errors ? I don't see one and I was an English major. And I think you're in denial, you're not exactly what you want to be. Sorry Charlie.

Atheists are an endangered species. The few that I have known have been angry and hostile individuals. Their anger and hostility effects people around them to the degree they have few friends and have a difficult family life. Atheists don't make attractive life partners, people I know would never marry an atheist. Our resident atheist here on KOTW is a perfect example of the anger and hostility. He's probably an unmarried loner living by himself, venting his anger and hostility on his computer. And of course we all know that most aging atheists come to God for forgiveness. As the saying goes; there's no atheists in foxholes.[/quote

]"there's no atheists in foxholes". No, but there are plenty of foxhole "believers" violating thou shalt not kill. WWI and WWII were Christians killing Christians - just as god intended.

In fact, atheists do marry at a lower rate than Christians, on the order of 65% to 78%. This does not at all fit the picture you're trying to paint. However, atheists' divorce rates are slightly lower too, although the disparity is within the error range for statistical sampling.

As for the atheists you know personally, perhaps their treatment of you has something to do with your disrespect. And no, I wouldn't imagine that people who attend your church would marry an atheist; however the feeling, no doubt, is mutual.

This does not account for the fact that atheists are not concerned about going to hell for “living in sin.” So while they marry at a slightly lower rate than Christians, there could be a greater frequency of stable, long-term relationships among atheists than among Christians. The study did not address that. The willingness to live together without being married could also account for the difference in frequency of marriage, comparing born-again (hard-core) Christians with more nominal Christians.

There are times I wonder if the "Fervent Christians" and the "Adamant Atheists" who post here arent really just trolling each other without even realizing it.....they're both so UTTERLY stereotypical as to be beyond the realm of reality... both sides sound stupid...the Asatru guy sounds like a lot more fun...Break out the Mead for the Father of ALL

The only case you're making is that you can't distinguish between fact and fiction - which is the main problem with your religious belief system.

Grammatical errors in the following statement:

"Atheists are an endangered species. The few that I have known have been angry and hostile individuals. Their anger and hostility effects people around them to the degree they have few friends and have a difficult family life. Atheists don't make attractive life partners, people I know would never marry an atheist. Our resident atheist here on KOTW is a perfect example of the anger and hostility. He's probably an unmarried loner living by himself, venting his anger and hostility on his computer. And of course we all know that most aging atheists come to God for forgiveness. As the saying goes; there's no atheists in foxholes."

1. "effects" should be "affect" - two grammatical errors in one word

2. "a difficulty family life" should be "difficult family lives," to match the plural "they"

3. 'there's no atheists in foxholes'" should be "there are no atheists in foxholes" - the opening quotation mark is missing, and "there's" does not match the plural "atheists."

Sorry, D**bA**. Go back to school.

Dear Jimmy,

To answer you question, I have no desire to attend a church. Religion is an important topic, which is rarely discussed honestly, in a public forum like this. I think the discussions here are revealing, and I intend to continue participating in them. You are free to do as you please.

There are times I wonder if the "Fervent Christians" and the "Adamant Atheists" who post here arent really just trolling each other without even realizing it.....they're both so UTTERLY stereotypical as to be beyond the realm of reality... both sides sound stupid...the Asatru guy sounds like a lot more fun...Break out the Mead for the Father of ALL

What sounds stupid, coming from the critics of Christianity, who are not necessarily atheists? Be specific, even if you only give one or two examples. Your very failure to do that could better be called stupid than any of the posts here that criticize the Christian narrative. The most likely explanation for your statement is that this discussion makes people uncomfortable. That doesn't make it stupid or unimportant, and both sides have not presented themselves with equal merit.

Grammatical errors ? I don't see one and I was an English major. And I think you're in denial, you're not exactly what you want to be. Sorry Charlie.

No "grammatical errors" you say? Seek and you shall find. And btw, how's that English major working out for you? Less than $40,000 I'm thinking.

Guest Kearny Christian

All you people flood this site with your bullshit. Get a life. Shouldn't you be in church or something

Church would be helpful to the angry atheist who constantly floods KOTW with his mean-spirited rhetoric. Visiting a church might awaken him to become a new person and change his attitude.

Here are some facts about these discussions.

There hasn't been a single substantive criticism of anything the anti-theists have written.

There hasn't been an answer to even one question the anti-theists have asked, or one point the anti-theists have made.

So apparently, if you believe in the Christian God, you get to make up anything you want, and you don't have to be responsible for whether it makes sense or not, or whether it's pulled from anywhere but one of your bodily orifices; and if you don't buy into the story, you're supposed to shut up.

Don't believe me? Read the discussions on these topics.

Guest Just wondering.

Just curious. Where does an atheist get married ? Certainly not in a church . And if your marriage partner is Christian, how do you tell your partner she or he can't get married in a church. I also can't imagine depriving your in-laws of a church wedding, a father walking his daughter down the isle, etc. You can never have any kind of a relationship with your in-laws with that kind of a beginning. This must be one of the reasons for all the anger and hostility of atheists.

There certainly were not as many as there are in this post! :D

All you people flood this site with your bullshit. Get a life. Shouldn't you be in church or something

No. I have a life. That's one of the reasons I don't need to be in a church.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Re-check that post. I'm never wrong. Btw, I was a Philosophy major. That beats a English major any day.

Church would be helpful to the angry atheist who constantly floods KOTW with his mean-spirited rhetoric. Visiting a church might awaken him to become a new person and change his attitude.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

See, you don't believe it yourself. You just proved it - again.

Just curious. Where does an atheist get married ? Certainly not in a church . And if your marriage partner is Christian, how do you tell your partner she or he can't get married in a church. I also can't imagine depriving your in-laws of a church wedding, a father walking his daughter down the isle, etc. You can never have any kind of a relationship with your in-laws with that kind of a beginning. This must be one of the reasons for all the anger and hostility of atheists.

We marry in civil ceremonies. These can be conducted in a courthouse, or anywhere. The only requirement is a person authorized by the state to perform marriages. The American Humanist Association, Ethical Culture and other non-theistic organizations certify people to perform our weddings. We do marry, as much as it may shock you. And we have children from our marriages. We raise them well, as well as anyone else does. They are good and upstanding citizens, as much as anyone else's children.

A marriage is a consensual matter. If a non-theist wishes to marry a Christian, they will have to decide how to handle their religious differences. If the differences are too severe, the parties may not be able to overcome them. But what makes you think that the non-theist is the one to blame? Two people fall in love but they don't agree on religion. That doesn't make either of them right, or wrong. What's interesting about your question is the obvious bigotry beneath it. You presume that the non-theist is the one who has to come clean. You didn't even think to ask "If your marriage partner is not a Christian, how do you tell your partner that she or he must get married in a church." Did you. You're completely blind to the humanity of people who do not believe in a god. That's why it's called bigotry. You're so sure you're right, you don't even see that the other person has a point of view, let alone respect it.

And what on earth makes you think that a non-theistic couple can't have one or both parties to the marriage walked down the aisle? We do it all the time. I just attended a non-theistic wedding this past summer, where this was done. The father is a Christian, and a Kearny resident. His daughter, the bride, is not a Christian and does not believe in a god. He walked her down the aisle in a beautiful outdoor ceremony, and she and her husband were married in a civil ceremony without any mention of a god. That was their choice. It was one of the most beautiful ceremonies I've ever seen. You just simply don't know what you're talking about.

What makes you presume that the only party who will have problems with the in-laws is the atheist, or non-theist? What about the theist who marries into a non-theistic family? Why aren't you asking what kind of a relationship the Christian son- or daughter-in-law can have with the non-theistic in-laws? Obviously, the religious views of non-theistic parents are absolutely invisible to you. And as a result, you don't respect them. You make that obvious by what you write.

Your ignorance and narrow-mindedness are simply astounding. Pure and simple, your views are those of a bigot, and an ignorant one at that.

Would love to see your answers to this.