a new covenant

Guest Guest

A new day is about to dawn, say the Christian literalists. Christ brings a new covenant, as recorded in the Bible. Let's check it out with a little Bible study.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. [Ephesians 6:5-9.]

Draw your own conclusions.

My Own conclusion is that You are a Coward.........since you only seem to be offended by Christianity....and ignore things like, say, This: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/12/world/meast/isis-justification-female-slaves/index.html?hpt=hp_t2 Of course if you actually took on a Religion that was out HARMING people, rather than relatively meek Modern Christians it might actually be Dangerous. So you go right on ahead there Athieist Galahad.....we all know that you're just as much of a Gelding as your Steed.

The point is that a just god would never have condoned slavery, with some people being free and others not. Apologists offer all kinds of excuses for it. You can make them fly if you look at the Bible as a collection of writings by men who lived in ancient and brutal times. But you cannot make it fly if you look at the Bible as the revealed Word of God.

My Own conclusion is that You are a Coward.........since you only seem to be offended by Christianity....and ignore things like, say, This: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/12/world/meast/isis-justification-female-slaves/index.html?hpt=hp_t2 Of course if you actually took on a Religion that was out HARMING people, rather than relatively meek Modern Christians it might actually be Dangerous. So you go right on ahead there Athieist Galahad.....we all know that you're just as much of a Gelding as your Steed.

ISIS isn't posting here. Instead of blaming everyone else, go back over the year's posts and take a close look at why this is happening.

What's your point ? Slavery was legal and accepted in this country until 1865. Of course it was legal and accepted thousands of years ago. Duh.

That won't wash. If God was good and perfect, and the Bible was his revealed Word, the Bible would never have condoned slavery.

If you want to say you believe in an unlimited all-knowing and all-powerful God, you can't in the next breath assume that he is limited by human limitations that prevailed in another time. Slavery is wrong. It was always wrong. But you wouldn't know that reading the Bible. Why can't you just accept the fact that this collection of ancient writings is just that - a collection of ancient writings.

I didn't say anything about the biblical passage I quoted. All I did was quote the Bible and invite you to draw your own conclusions. And look at the responses. Are they celebrating God's revealed truth? Not quite. Which only goes to show that people have a moral sense, and don't really follow the Bible, even if they claim to. You don't believe the Bible is the Word of God any more than I do. So why pretend?

ISIS isn't posting here. Instead of blaming everyone else, go back over the year's posts and take a close look at why this is happening.

Because you're a jerkoff with too much time on his hands, and like to screw with people for no good reason, other than the fact that you can safely online?????

Luckily MOST Atheists are like me (and like most Christians too)...decent, hardworking people who dont have a penchant for being assholes towards someone else because they believe (Or don't believe) differently than me.....then there are the Atheists (or so you claim) Like YOU... So yeah...sit behind your Computer and rant sport... while I go out with my friends and enjoy the season.

Guest Kearny Christian

Yeah, you're right. Earth and all it's wonders are just a result of serendipity. There couldn't possibly be any intelligent design involved here. Everything on earth, millions of species and life forms have all evolved from pond scum. Talk about a myth.

Still, not one word in defense of Christian theology. Only personal attacks against people assumed to be atheists.

And all the OP does is quote the Bible. If you're a Bible-based Christian, and quoting the Bible offends you, then maybe you reconsider whether you really believe what you say you believe.

Because you're a jerkoff with too much time on his hands, and like to screw with people for no good reason, other than the fact that you can safely online?????

Luckily MOST Atheists are like me (and like most Christians too)...decent, hardworking people who dont have a penchant for being assholes towards someone else because they believe (Or don't believe) differently than me.....then there are the Atheists (or so you claim) Like YOU... So yeah...sit behind your Computer and rant sport... while I go out with my friends and enjoy the season.

So what's your rant about? You're preaching tolerance but where is yours?

I could play Candy Crush all day long, and you wouldn't care. This isn't about whether I'm wasting my time. You're just pissed off because I don't see things the way you do, and I'm willing to speak out about it. Else you wouldn't be calling names and hurling insults.

Here's why I do it.

1. Fundamentalist Christian theology, based on a literal interpretation of the Bible and certain dogmas, has done far too much damage for far too long. It's time people started speaking out about it, and our numbers are growing. Disagree if you like but that's my opinion. And instead of calling names, say why you disagree.

2. Kearny Christians wanted religion out in the open in Kearny. Well now it is. Or are we only allowed to disagree if we keep quiet?

3. The fact that you're pissed off about a direct Bible quotation should tell you something.

Of course if you actually took on a Religion that was out HARMING people . . .

"Then Christ says, "The Son of Man shall send forth his His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth"; and He goes on about the wailing and gnashing of teeth. It comes in one verse after another, and it is quite manifest to the reader that there is a certain pleasure in contemplating wailing and gnashing of teeth, or else it would not occur so often. Then you all, of course, remember about the sheep and the goats; how at the second coming He is going to divide the sheep from the goats, and He is going to say to the goats, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire." He continues, "And these shall go away into everlasting fire." Then He says again, "If thy hand offend thee, cut it off; it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into Hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched; where the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched." He repeats that again and again also. I must say that I think all this doctrine, that hell-fire is a punishment for sin, is a doctrine of cruelty. It is a doctrine that put cruelty into the world and gave the world generations of cruel torture; and the Christ of the Gospels, if you could take Him asHis chroniclers represent Him, would certainly have to be considered partly responsible for that." {Bertrand Russell, "Why I Am Not a Christian.}"

Still, not one word in defense of Christian theology. Only personal attacks against people assumed to be atheists.

And all the OP does is quote the Bible. If you're a Bible-based Christian, and quoting the Bible offends you, then maybe you reconsider whether you really believe what you say you believe.

Why would I defend something i dont personally agree with??????..you ASSume I'm a Christian...whereas you have PROVEN you;re a cowardly asshole.

Why would I defend something i dont personally agree with??????..you ASSume I'm a Christian...whereas you have PROVEN you;re a cowardly asshole.

Cowardly how? You have no idea who I am or what my history is. You're dead wrong.

As to your comments here, this topic makes a point. Your comments are completely beside that point. I could call you a jerk but that too would be beside the point.

Several topics are active here on this and related subjects. Some of the people who have responded claim to be Christians. Not one of them has defended the theology they claim to believe in. Because . . .

They know it's a myth.

You think you're hot stuff, calling names? At least the critics of Christianity are saying something.

And if you actually read the post that brought on this mini-rant, it doesn't assume anything about you. That's what the "if" means.

This topic raises serious issues, which most people seem to prefer to ignore.

Is the Bible a holy book? Is it divinely inspired, the Word of God, and inerrant? Is it even a good book?

With all due respect to the person with the foul mouth, people customarily swear oaths on the Bible. (Not so much the Koran.) The Bible has great influence on American life and culture. You shouldn't just call it harmless and get upset when people question it. It's time these questions were asked and openly discussed. In fact, we should have been having these discussions long ago.