Town Hall Christmas Tree ?

Guest Guest

Why does there have to be a debate? Let the town call it what they need to in order to let ir happen. Let the kids and anyone else who wNt to see it and enjoy it do so! Your faith is in your heart. If you do not have faith then just see it as a tree with lights! If you have faith and see it as a Christmas Tree representing christianity then what the town calls it cannot change your faith. Lets just let it be before it isnt at all! Times have changed and we havt tr realize it but your faith is within and a tree cannot change that! A blessed holiday season to all!

I just wrote a lengthy response to this. There's something I neglected to say. Being responsible in our faith cannot be forced. It has to come from within. But it can't stay there.

Again, my best wishes to you, and thank you for at least calming down this discussion. At least, let's hope so.

Oh Come on....Let's see a couple of days ago in one of the callout threads that has been ignored, one of the Usual Suspects bring s up the Christmas Tree, and SUDDENLY that thread appears???? Spare us, this is nothing more than Trolling by the A-hole brigade because they're mad they didnt get the response they wanted to in the Creation Threads.

Guest Patriot

I agree with you 100%. A Christmas tree is not a religious symbol. There is no Christmas religion or sect. This is not a seperation of church and state issue. A Christmas tree simply recognizes the birth of Jesus, who was a philosopher. The idea of a holiday tree is just ridiculous. Neither Jews, atheists, humanists or tree huggers decorate a tree as part their traditions. So what is the point of a holiday tree? The Kearny mayor should step up and recognize Christmas with a Christmas tree.

Guest Patrioter

I also agree with you 100%. A Christmas tree is not a religious symbol. There is no Christmas religion or sect. This is not a seperation of church and state issue. A Christmas tree simply recognizes the birth of Jesus, who was a philosopher. The idea of a holiday tree is just ridiculous. Neither Jews, atheists, humanists or tree huggers decorate a tree as part their traditions. So what is the point of a holiday tree? The Kearny mayor should step up and recognize Christmas with a Christmas tree.

I agree with you 100%. A Christmas tree is not a religious symbol. There is no Christmas religion or sect. This is not a seperation of church and state issue. A Christmas tree simply recognizes the birth of Jesus, who was a philosopher. The idea of a holiday tree is just ridiculous. Neither Jews, atheists, humanists or tree huggers decorate a tree as part their traditions. So what is the point of a holiday tree? The Kearny mayor should step up and recognize Christmas with a Christmas tree.

See #22, which laid these lame arguments to rest.

And isn't it interesting that you still have absolutely nothing to say about the religion you're working so hard to defend. You know, the Christian religion, the one you now claim does not exist.

Can I and other Muslims expect the town to display something representing our religion, which celebrates Ramadan this month? After all, fair is fair.

Go away troll. I was deployed to the middle east last summer. Ramadan happened while I was there. Started on June 28 and ended on July 28. At least google it before you try your stupid forum tricks.

Why do you a-holes have to pick a fight about this every year? If you think you're gaining converts, guess again. Personally, I wish you would go jump in a lake.

Guest Still in my heart

I just wrote a lengthy response to this. There's something I neglected to say. Being responsible in our faith cannot be forced. It has to come from within. But it can't stay there.

Again, my best wishes to you, and thank you for at least calming down this discussion. At least, let's hope so.

You seem like such a nice person, and your kindness is such a breath of fresh air here, I wish I could agree with everything you're saying. Unfortunately, we live in a world that is moving faster than we can keep up with it. Very clever people are spending billions of dollars every year trying to manipulate us, and they are succeeding. Because most people are not disciplined in their thinking (I know that turns people off but please think about it, because it's true), they are easy prey for these masters of propaganda. The result is the world that has led no less a religious leader than the Pope to say that unfettered capitalism is the new tyranny.

How did this happen? We control the government, don't we? Yes, actually we do. It has happened because we handed control to the people who do the best job manipulating us. Our political system is what we have turned it into. We've lost our ability to see the difference. In fact, not only are we easy to manipulate, we beg to be manipulated. And politicians are all too eager to oblige us. In fact, if they want to be elected, they have no choice. We've done this to ourselves.

We can no longer afford to define faith merely as what we believe, or feel inside. Faith is an action, and is useless without our ability to move it into the world. It is taking the first step, even though you don't see the whole staircase; acting in the world and in our own lives to make the seemingly impossible, possible.

You are defining faith as what you have in your heart, in other words, as what you want to believe. That may comfort you but it is irresponsible. And if you think that way, sooner or later, it's going to cause problems. Maybe not in your life but in the lives of others who will think the same way, and not know where to draw the lines between fantasy and reality.

I grew up in a traditional Christian religious household. I left not in anger but in tears, because I wanted to be true. The best thing I got out of my religious upbringing was a sense of responsibility. That very sense of responsibility led me to leave "the faith."

It wasn't because I was angry. It was because my religious upbringing taught me that everything I think and feel and do belongs not just to me but also to everyone. I am a part of the whole, and my job is to be responsible and do what is right, even if it costs me.

No doubt some people will have a field day with that. Have at it. The people whose hearts and minds are open will read it, and think about it.

I wish you the happiest holiday season you have ever had, and an even happier one next year, and happier every year for the rest of your life. I also hope that you will take a little time in this season think about this. We need people, like you, who have goodness in their hearts, to think about these things and recognize that in a world like this one has become, we are all bound together. Our lives are not entirely our own. We have a responsibility to our families, our communities, our country and the world. It's up to us to create the future. We're not going to do that by having faith that everything will be fine, and then doing nothing. We will have to do it one step at a time, and sometimes it won't feel good. But we need to do it. That is my idea of faith. You seem like a nice person. What do you think?

I really not sure what you are asking? I said our faith is in out heart. I didn't say what that faith is. Everyone's faith is different and based on different things. Some people say their faith has nothing to do with religion. I have faith in myself that I will continue to do my best to be a good decent and moral person and i will continue to reach out to others in my own quiet way. That is how i live up to my faith. I think Holiday Trees are beautiful to look at, they smell great, keep the economy going to some small degree at Christmas and the town can put one on every corner! I only see the tree as symbol of bringing happiness to many and puts smiles on faces. If Ramadan symbol does the same thats fine with me too. The point is i am not offended by one symbol because my faith may be represented by another. I don't see the tree as a symbol of my faith. I see it as a decoration associated with santa Claus and the Christmas Season that brings joy to people. Once again my faith lies within my heart and if the town puts up a symbol of a different faith from mine that sends a positive message and makes people feel good whats wrong with that? This will have no impact on my own fath. I am not really even sure from your post if you have a problem with the tree or not, that is not said in any way to be disrespectful im just missing what you are asking? Thank you for well wishes for a wonderful holiday.

Guest Studies and Observations

Please just Stop..... As a Fellow Christian i BEG you to stop spouting things that you dont know about. The Tradition of the Christmas Tree came out of Germany and Norway after the (Forcible) Conversion of the Native Picts, Gauls, and assorted Tribal groups, enfolding some of their Pagan rites and traditions into Christianity to make the conversion easier. Easter, Christmas, All Hallow's Eve, all of these have their roots in Paganism of one flavor or another, Christmas is no different. Constantine just stole it from the Pagans and twisted it to his own ends. There is a lot of good in Christianity, but there is also Bad in our History, to Deny the Bad and only Accept ONLY the good, is to take the easy path.

Guest Kearny resident

There's no question about the accuracy of your post. Unfortunately this country has gone off the charts with political correctness. We read every day of some nonsensical example of this left wing loonyness. A holiday tree is just another example.

Guest Studies and Observations

There's no question about the accuracy of your post. Unfortunately this country has gone off the charts with political correctness. We read every day of some nonsensical example of this left wing loonyness. A holiday tree is just another example.

On that we agree completely..... I have studied the US Constitution for many years, and NOWHERE in that Document is there any protection against being "Offended".

I really not sure what you are asking? I said our faith is in out heart. I didn't say what that faith is. Everyone's faith is different and based on different things. Some people say their faith has nothing to do with religion. I have faith in myself that I will continue to do my best to be a good decent and moral person and i will continue to reach out to others in my own quiet way. That is how i live up to my faith. I think Holiday Trees are beautiful to look at, they smell great, keep the economy going to some small degree at Christmas and the town can put one on every corner! I only see the tree as symbol of bringing happiness to many and puts smiles on faces. If Ramadan symbol does the same thats fine with me too. The point is i am not offended by one symbol because my faith may be represented by another. I don't see the tree as a symbol of my faith. I see it as a decoration associated with santa Claus and the Christmas Season that brings joy to people. Once again my faith lies within my heart and if the town puts up a symbol of a different faith from mine that sends a positive message and makes people feel good whats wrong with that? This will have no impact on my own fath. I am not really even sure from your post if you have a problem with the tree or not, that is not said in any way to be disrespectful im just missing what you are asking? Thank you for well wishes for a wonderful holiday.

Fair enough, and as before I appreciate your kindness; not to mention that you are one of the few people here who seems to be willing to have a real dialogue. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, before and this time. My concern has to do with the way we've twisted faith so that it means believing whatever you want to believe. Of course, people have that right but if too many people do that, we will not build or maintain a responsible society. We're seeing that now. So when you say "our faith is in our heart," if that's the only place it is, eventually we will have problems.

Go away troll. I was deployed to the middle east last summer. Ramadan happened while I was there. Started on June 28 and ended on July 28. At least google it before you try your stupid forum tricks.

OK, so I want a Ramadan display from June 28 to July 28.

No matter what name you post under, sadly, you just can't seem to get it right.

Republican speaker of the house Gingrich changed it to holiday tree from Christmas tree in 1995.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/69986.html

Loonyness? Yep. Left wing? Nope.

Pure GOP hypocrisy and continued ignorance by you.

Guest Kearny resident

Easy on the drugs buddy, I don't need a middle ages history lesson. I know the history of the Christmas tree goes back to Germany, which is totally irrelevant. Over the last 20 years or so, the loony left has become obsessed with taking God out of our lives.

The Christmas tree has been wrongly targeted by the loonys as a religious symbol and therefore needs to be banned from the public arena. The Christmas tree in reality is only a symbol of the birth of Jesus. If you read Bill O'Reilly's best seller, Killing Jesus, you'll understand that Jesus was a philosopher, he wasn't a priest or Rabbi. To somehow conflate a Christmas tree with religious symbols is ridiculous. It may be easier for the mayor of Kearny to go along with the loonies and call it a holiday tree I would like to see the mayor stand up to the loonys and do the right thing.

Holiday Tree, Christmas tree, doesn't bother us here and we're Wiccan. We think the town does a great job and our kids always have fun. Oh and for the record, go and google Yule and stuff like the history of the candy cane. We're used to having our holidays taken over and/or renamed by other religions (ie. Ostara /Easter). There are lots of articles online about the Winter Solstice too. But you don't see us getting offended any.

If the "Christian" majority hadn't spent much of our history forcing its religion on the whole country, we wouldn't be having this problem, or this discussion. You just can't be satisfied. A Nativity Scene isn't enough for you. You want it all. "Jesus is the reason for the season," you say. Maybe for you, but you don't speak for everyone. Stop acting like you own Kearny.

Guest tom papa

In GOD We Trust

One Nation Under GOD

GOD Bless America

GOD Shed HIS Grace On Thee

There is a higher power, I call HIM GOD, you can call him whatever you like, but to deny HIS existence is truly ignorant. If you believe mankind evolved from pond-scum, that's your choice and I feel sorry for you. With all the so-called scientific proof and state of the art technology, scientists still can't come up with the missing link. DNA analysis shows no scientific proof of the evolution theory. GOD created man in his own image. Some even say that GOD may be an ET from some far off advanced civilization, I'd believe that before I'd believe that we just got lucky and evolved from pond-scum.

If you read Bill O'Reilly's best seller, Killing Jesus, you'll understand that Jesus was a philosopher, he wasn't a priest or Rabbi. To somehow conflate a Christmas tree with religious symbols is ridiculous.

If you studied history in great depth, you would understand that Jesus probably never lived at all. Who he was or wasn't doesn't change the fact that people worship him as the one and only Son of God, the Messiah and savior of mankind. Shake, wiggle and dance all you want, that's what Christmas is about, and yes it is religious.

Claiming that you're hell-bent on having the town honor a philosopher who died 2,000 years ago is what is ridiculous. The better word, though, is disingenuous.

In GOD We Trust

One Nation Under GOD

GOD Bless America

There is a higher power, I call HIM GOD, you can call him whatever you like, but to deny HIS existence is truly ignorant. If you believe mankind evolved from pond-scum, that's your choice and I feel sorry for you. With all the so-called scientific proof and state of the art technology, scientists still can't come up with the missing link. DNA analysis shows no scientific proof of the evolution theory. GOD created man in his own image. Some even say that GOD may be an ET from some far off advanced civilization, I'd believe that before I'd believe that we just got lucky and evolved from pond-scum.

Given your obvious limitations in knowledge and reasoning ability, no one has any reason to care what you find easier to believe.

Guest Kearny Kid

In GOD We Trust

One Nation Under GOD

GOD Bless America

this mad me laugh.

Guest Joe Mama

In GOD We Trust

One Nation Under GOD

GOD Bless America

You wouldn't even consider God could be a SHE?