BERNADETTE MCDONALD IS A FILTHY RACIST

Guest -GUEST-

This is an ignorant and disgusting accusation, completely lacking in any support regarding where the anonymous poster supposedly heard Bernadette say the things she is accuse of saying; but it does not meet the requirements for a case of slander. In New Jersey, four elements are necessary to support an action for slander. The most obvious missing element is the fourth one: Bernadette has not suffered any compensable damages from this. In a slander case, hurt feelings do not amount to damages. Usually, there must be economic damage to support a slander case, though I'm not sure whether that is true in New Jersey. But at the very least, there must be proof that people believed the false statement, to the victim's detriment.

You might say that's unfair. But before you do that, think about how clogged our courts would be if every incident of name-calling ended up in the courts. Our tax dollars shouldn't go to support that.

Second, name-calling is not slander either. That is classified as an opinion or conclusion, not a statement of fact. Slander is based on one or more false statements of fact.

In this case, the only "factual" accusation being made is that Bernadette supposedly used a racially offensive word. Whether she did or did not, it's unlikely that the other elements of the claim can be supported, if that's the only fact claim made in the accusation.

This is an ignorant and disgusting accusation, completely lacking in any support regarding where the anonymous poster supposedly heard Bernadette say the things she is accuse of saying; but it does not meet the requirements for a case of slander. In New Jersey, four elements are necessary to support an action for slander. The most obvious missing element is the fourth one: Bernadette has not suffered any compensable damages from this. In a slander case, hurt feelings do not amount to damages. Usually, there must be economic damage to support a slander case, though I'm not sure whether that is true in New Jersey. But at the very least, there must be proof that people believed the false statement, to the victim's detriment.

You might say that's unfair. But before you do that, think about how clogged our courts would be if every incident of name-calling ended up in the courts. Our tax dollars shouldn't go to support that.

Second, name-calling is not slander either. That is classified as an opinion or conclusion, not a statement of fact. Slander is based on one or more false statements of fact.

In this case, the only "factual" accusation being made is that Bernadette supposedly used a racially offensive word. Whether she did or did not, it's unlikely that the other elements of the claim can be supported, if that's the only fact claim made in the accusation.

Thank you for your post and link. KOTW has updated the initial post to include a more detailed note indicating that the initial post was allowed because Bernadette McDonald is an elected official and that the statement may be false.

During elections many things are said about candidates and their supporters. Not all of them are true but if you are running for office and/or an elected official they come with the job.

KOTW

There is not and there wasn't a campaign going on when this inappropriate post was made. The fact that she is an elected official doesn't - in my opinion - give the original poster or anyone else the right to make personal attacks on Mrs. McDonald. Criticize the way the BoE is run, accuse her of nepotism, cronyism, etc., but this is a personal attack with no basis whatsoever.

So if I want to accuse another board member or the mayor of being homosexuals or heterosexually promiscuous, that's ok here? They are elected. officials.

This thread should of been taken down immediately.

There is not and there wasn't a campaign going on when this inappropriate post was made. The fact that she is an elected official doesn't - in my opinion - give the original poster or anyone else the right to make personal attacks on Mrs. McDonald. Criticize the way the BoE is run, accuse her of nepotism, cronyism, etc., but this is a personal attack with no basis whatsoever.

So if I want to accuse another board member or the mayor of being homosexuals or heterosexually promiscuous, that's ok here? They are elected. officials.

This thread should of been taken down immediately.

That would imply that there is something wrong with being gay or promiscuous, and that being gay or promiscuous negatively impacts their ability to make the right decisions as head of the BoE. There is nothing wrong with being gay or promiscuous, obviously, and it would have no impact on their ability to perform their duties. HOWEVER, there is a very big problem with being a racist, and an even bigger problem when that racist is the head of the BoE in a town with an extremely multicultural student body.

In summary, you are a fool.

That would imply that there is something wrong with being gay or promiscuous, and that being gay or promiscuous negatively impacts their ability to make the right decisions as head of the BoE. There is nothing wrong with being gay or promiscuous, obviously, and it would have no impact on their ability to perform their duties. HOWEVER, there is a very big problem with being a racist, and an even bigger problem when that racist is the head of the BoE in a town with an extremely multicultural student body.

Absolutely true, nothing wrong with being gay and being promiscuous doesn't mean you can't do your job. However, the accusation being thrown out there maliciously can cause damage to your reputation and credibility among people who don't know you and have issues with it. In the same way, accusing someone of being a "filthy racist" can cause damage to one's reputation and credibility.

Using the excuse that one is an elected official to excuse attacking the reputation of someone without any credible facts to back it up, it just foolish.

Wow, when someone disagrees with you you can't come up with anything better than a personal attack (fool?) I guess that explains why you would be defending the original poster.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Bernadette McDonald is a big fan of the *-word. Vote for anybody but that racist asshole, please.

Edited by KOTW, 22 November 2014 - 09:20 AM.

Content. KOTW allowed this post because Bernadette McDonals is an elected official. Please note that the statement may be false. It's KOTW's policy to allow a free open discussion of issues.

That's a lie! You would not put up a post that was critical of the girls varsity soccer coach not once but twice!

Guest Old old old

What is the difference between a filthy racist and a regular racist! This thread should be dead! KOTW do something for once because its the right thing to do. Take it down.

I'm still waiting for the original poster to offer up some details for their ridiculous accusation. Cowardly liar that he/she is, just dropped a baseless incendiary statement and slunk away to sit at their computer and watch the fun begin. I've no doubt it's someone who has some sort of axe to grind with either Mrs. Mc Donald or the Board of Ed in general. I also have no doubt that he/she could care less how disgraceful their personal vendetta could impact someone's life. Whoever you are, you should try a bit of soul searching to figure out just when you totally lost control of your moral compass.

• 1 month later...
Guest Fresh Air

Good point, Happy New Year !

Guest Racial

More than eight months ago, I opened the topic called "The story doesn't make sense." As I and others have pointed out time and time again, not once has anyone denied the explicit point of the topic. The only negative responses have been personal and insulting.

Apparently, the people who have written these posts think it's perfectly OK to demean, insult, mock and degrade atheists, even though the topic isn't making an argument for atheism. Meanwhile, they insist not just on being respected as people but on having their beliefs respected. They don't respect atheists' beliefs, or atheists as people.

And that is the real point I've been making all along. There is some nasty bigotry in Kearny, and we've seen it displayed not just over these past eight months but for as long as I can remember, and I've lived here for decades.

Doing this may not change anyone's mind. But if you look closely, you see what is really going on in this town, and has been going on for a long time. And in towns like this one, all over the United States.

Happy holidays, all, however you may or may not celebrate them, and that includes a hearty "Merry Christmas" to all Christians, even though I truly believe that their narrative does not make sense. It's a pity that people aren't even open-minded enough, or perhaps courageous enough, to discuss it. Because in the end, we are all on this Earth together, and we cannot build or maintain the best society or the best culture on mere wishes.

I hope Bernadette sues the butt off the idiot who started this offensive thread!

I hope the previous asst superintendent sues ! ** ******* Edited by KOTW
Content.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true this person is no longer board president?

Guest KOTW Observer

Thank you for your post and link. KOTW has updated the initial post to include a more detailed note indicating that the initial post was allowed because Bernadette McDonald is an elected official and that the statement may be false.During elections many things are said about candidates and their supporters. Not all of them are true but if you are running for office and/or an elected official they come with the job.KOTW

Dear Webmaster,

I thought you had more brass. You have decided not to update anymore posts on this topic, just let it fade into the depths of old posts. If this is the case because you took some heat for posting it you should not post ANY posts that accuses anyone of anything and makes references to anyone, their family members or friends with name calling or humiliation. It's all or nothing not pick and choose. Jus sayin.

Thank you

Dear Webmaster,

I thought you had more brass. You have decided not to update anymore posts on this topic, just let it fade into the depths of old posts. If this is the case because you took some heat for posting it you should not post ANY posts that accuses anyone of anything and makes references to anyone, their family members or friends with name calling or humiliation. It's all or nothing not pick and choose. Jus sayin.

Thank you

KOTW Observer,

KOTW's policy is to allow an open discussion. We do not however allow the blatant post designed to "bump" a prior discussion thread without adding any additional content.

With respect to the content of this thread, the initial post was allowed because Bernadette McDonald is an elected official. The veracity of the initial statement has been challenged. We have now allowed your initial post "Good Point. Happy New Year" and other posts which barely border on being additional content. As one of KOTW's fans pointed out years ago, you can always start your own Website and Discussion Board and post everything you want there.

KOTW

KOTW Observer,

KOTW's policy is to allow an open discussion. We do not however allow the blatant post designed to "bump" a prior discussion thread without adding any additional content.

With respect to the content of this thread, the initial post was allowed because Bernadette McDonald is an elected official. The veracity of the initial statement has been challenged. We have now allowed your initial post "Good Point. Happy New Year" and other posts which barely border on being additional content. As one of KOTW's fans pointed out years ago, you can always start your own Website and Discussion Board and post everything you want there.

KOTW

KOTW Observer,

Oooohhh . . . smack. Jus sayin.