Drug Rehab house opening next to Roosevelt School

Guest Guest644

Guest Guest644

How can this happen? Aren't these types of businesses required to get permit / zoning permits. None of the home owners in the neighborhood were made aware that "Valentine House" was moving into the house on the corner of Grand and Stewart. This does not seem to the be the place for such a business. Time to get informed and make some noise. Town meeting Tomorrow and Zoning meeting Oct 2nd.

Guest concerned mom

Are they really allowing a "sober recover house" to open on the corner of Stewart and Grand pl? This is just yards away from roosevelt school. I am all for people recovering but this is not the proper location! This area is mainly one family homes and again next to a school. Do we really need recovering addicts sitting outside and being next to the school. How can the town also allow this to happen in such a residential area? . As a parent of young kids and a taxpayer, I am sick over this. This could drive nice families right out of the town! (like mine)

You should be ashamed of yourself! If it was a home with people recovering from cancer would you be in such an uproar? How do you know that people already in your neighborhood aren't active or recovering addicts? You don't know! You are just judging these people for the preconceived notion that you have about addicts. Hopefully you have the perfect family and nobody in your family from your husband to your children ever need the help and compassion that this sober house provides.

Bottom line this is NOT a treatment facility nor is it a halfway house, this IS a boarding house that does not belong in a neighborhood of 1 family houses. This " House" was built on the quiet not notifying the neighborhood nor was the town even notified. I can't build a 2 family without a zoning variance so what gives the owners of this property the right to do this. This House is subject to the same laws now as a multi family/hotel meaning fire department inspections and housing inspections. 2nd point there is NO staff residing nor working here, nurse,counselors,etc:If your so concerned petition the owners to put one of these houses in YOUR neighborhood maybe right across the street or next door.

absolutely ridiculous. kearny is falling apart and our zoning board would rather spend their time on making sure someone files a permit for installing a lightswitch instead of getting this halfway / rehab house out of a school district. we have nothing but morons as elected officials!!!!

Guest Questioning

Questions: Why wasn't the town notified to give permission for a single family home to be turned into a boarding house?

Who owns this house and what are their political connections, if any?

Who sold this house to the present owners, and what are their political connections, if any?

Guest Same Name/Diff Board

Zoning Board Members are not elected, they are appointed.

Yeah and look at who is on the Zoning Board.......VISCUSO and LINDENFELSER. Same people on the Board of Ed. Same people making horrible decisions no matter where they go. Screw the taxpayer and residents.

Excellent "letter to the editor" in the Observer on this topic yesterday, regarding, in the writer's opinion, the "less than Christian" attitude and actions of Mr. Valentine, a counselor from a church in West Orange. Also, in my opinion, the new owner, named as Jacqueline Lopes of Kearny in the Observer, deserves the most blame. In addition to the worry regarding the children in the school and the neighborhood, there will be plummeting property values, as well.

Guest Over reaction scare tactic

Good. Maybe Joann will sell her house!!!!!

three cheers for that! Maybe she will stop posting about nonsense too!

Love the rectory reference and oh so true! Remember when the " manor" got the homes on Clinton ave for hadicapped citizens. You would have thought they were going to house felons and rapists! People were adament they were going to change it. Guess what they could not! There are laws against descrimination and the last I checked addiction is a disease and is protected under the americans with disabilities act of 1975. Fyi never heard any complaints or problems from Clinton Ave and I live right down the street. As far as it being by the school check the sex offenders list of individuals living in Kearny near our schools. Far more frightening then a group of alchoholics trying to live sober! God bless them and their families. If the house were by washington or franklin school joanne would mot care neither would many others! Not in the manor. What a joke! Get a grip on life. Come to terms with where we live. Im much less worried about the men living on grand and stuart then the men wondering through kearny general apartments

She had no problem standing out in public and speaking her right, using her real name, just like the rest of the neighbors. Unlike you who hide behind a keyboard and rip people anonymously. You're real tough. What else you do in the dark when no one's watching.

These are the same people who were Up in Arms about the Sexual Predator Issue back during the Whitman Administration...even though the Majority of the people who were Jumping up and down Screaming, Couldnt find Hackensack Ave on a MAP...they KNEW that Any escapee would come right to Uptown Kearny.... I mean, Lets see, you have 3 choices... Make a Right, go 1/4 mile and be in Jersey City, Make a Left, and go 3-4 Mile and be in Newark, or...go STRAIGHT...out a SINGLE roadway, to a Split, and again single roadways that run for several MILES with NOTHING but swamp all around you....just to hide out in Kearny. Reading KOTW drives home the justification for my getting out of town Ages ago.

Love the rectory reference and oh so true! Remember when the " manor" got the homes on Clinton ave for hadicapped citizens. You would have thought they were going to house felons and rapists! People were adament they were going to change it. Guess what they could not! There are laws against descrimination and the last I checked addiction is a disease and is protected under the americans with disabilities act of 1975. Fyi never heard any complaints or problems from Clinton Ave and I live right down the street. As far as it being by the school check the sex offenders list of individuals living in Kearny near our schools. Far more frightening then a group of alchoholics trying to live sober! God bless them and their families. If the house were by washington or franklin school joanne would mot care neither would many others! Not in the manor. What a joke! Get a grip on life. Come to terms with where we live. Im much less worried about the men living on grand and stuart then the men wondering through kearny general apartments

This was all caused by a Roosevelt School teacher that lives in the vacinity of the house. She's worried that her house is being devalued because she saw two African American men sitting on the front porch of this house. I guess only caucasians are allowed to live in the Manor. Such a shame! I thought this was America.

Guest 3rd Ward Angry Taxpayer

That's why people don't post their name on this site because of A$$HOLES like this who defend these unpredictable people who live in this house. Just remember citizens of Kearny all its going to take is one incident by this school and all hell is going to break loose. You keep fighting this Joann you have guts to stand up to a bunch of BALL LESS LOSERS that don't have the guts to stand up at these council meetings and fight this concern for safety in our community. Question where does CAROL JEAN DOYLE stand on this issue?????????

Guest Concerned Kearny Taxpayer

That's why people don't post their name on this site because of A$$HOLES like this who defend these unpredictable people who live in this house. Just remember citizens of Kearny all its going to take is one incident by this school and all hell is going to break loose. You keep fighting this Joann you have guts to stand up to a bunch of BALL LESS LOSERS that don't have the guts to stand up at these council meetings and fight this concern for safety in our community. Question where does CAROL JEAN DOYLE stand on this issue?????????

I think it's more disturbing that we have racists teaching in our schools using our children as human shields for their own bigotry. What message does that send to our children?

Guest To the Haters

I think it is disturbing that you believe what you read on this site!!! Not one person has ever said anything about race except for the post on this site. Race is not an issue except in the eyes of the bigot who wrote that post! Again using this site as a way to show anger at someone they have a problem with. Race is not the issue, the issue is the disregard for town rules and regulations. Race was not and will never be the issue. It is an outrage that the poster would try that approach to discredit a person and a situation and even more disturbing that someone would believe such a statement. This site would be helpful if used correctly not as a place making false accusations because you are bitter and resentful of people you dislike. Take your hatred directly to the people you have a problem with if you have the guts to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just my two cents

They do not need zoning approval or permits to open this type of group home.. In the state of NJ they are considered single family residences .....FYI so there is nothing you can do about it.. There has been one on Belgrove Drive and in the Manor for 15 years... where have all of you been?

Guest Updating your comment

Just my two cents

They do not need zoning approval or permits to open this type of group home.. In the state of NJ they are considered single family residences .....FYI so there is nothing you can do about it.. There has been one on Belgrove Drive and in the Manor for 15 years... where have all of you been?

Just my two cents

As per the Observer, the courts have asked them to vacate the premises and fined Ms. Lopes.