Who are the Candidates for Kearny School Board?

Guest Kearny Resident

Guest Concerned Parent

I have seen some of the pictures of Mr. Fernandez if, it is the candidate.

I am concern that a person that behaves this way would oversee the school district.

More concern because my children attend school in Kearny.

Everyone has the right to have fun. But, one should be careful when making that fun public.

The parent says that he/she has a group to support this candidate.

It does not concern you that this person behaves this way.

I don't agree that making fun of a person is right. However, I would not vote for a candidate that gives me a feeling of concern.

Good Luck Mr. Fernandez, I wish you well.

Guest School Watch

Ahh! And so it goes, "no selfish interest." Really? Your opinion is too pointed for anyone to believe that. If you really weren't so full of crap, you could possibly be believable. Our previous boards caused enough damage to our district that it will take years to fix. Midland Ave., the high school project, the middle school concept all delayed and mismanaged for political and personal reasons. Five board members had the majority vote and full control of the board for 3 years and they ran the district into the ground due to really bad decisions on some issues and by gross inaction on others. They held the district hostage the entire time which directly impacted our children and left the district with its current mess. Too many angry cops, a drunk, an angry electrician and a guy under federal indictment who didn't do it all on the board at the same time with too many personal hit lists to count. The problems created were many but as I previously stated, it seems that they are being addressed transparently.

In any case, it will take many years through multiple boards to get the district back to where it belongs. It is clear that this process has begun and the district is moving forward whether or not you acknowledge it yourself. You should save your F for those responsible for the dilemma and not those who are actually correcting it.

My My why so defensive!!! You reacted to my post just like I though you would in blaming past boards for all the mess in the School System. Not one time do you mention how the 4 members of the minority at the period that you refer to tried to stonewall everything that they tried to do and when Mr. King and Company tried to work with them even making McDONALD THE PRESIDENT she proved to be not an HONORABLE selection in bringing everybody together. She played them as fools and instead of bringing people together she divided the board even more with her EGO over UNITY. That i'm sure you are aware of resulted in her being removed as President (THE FIRST TIME THAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF THE KEARNY BOARD OF EDUCATION) and there is where the division started so please don't lecture me on what past boards didn't do because there were constructive things that they attempted to do in being more accountable to the taxpayers instead of money being wasted on senseless lawsuits and stupid investigations resulting in a LAWYER and he knows who is, making a lot money for what? to make up for what he lost when they threw him out of the job 2 years ago? Its sad that you continue to blame people who don't conform to your program. The people will be watching to see how many Family and Friends get promoted or hired in the coming year. As for what you have done up to this point you still haven't said what you dId? The cost overuns on the High School project is already over budget and will need a new cash source (THE TAXPAYER) Lets see how you handle that in the next budget. I know you will try to blame everyone but your group for that but that was their ball and they dropped it and deflated it at the same time. So when you talk about division look at your own group because its all about control and not about unity, working together, including everyone in the process. That will never happen with your group because you thrive on power and it will benefit a small network of people and the program like it has been for years will discredit people who try to oppose your motives. FAMILY AND FRIENDS FIRST!!!!!TEACHERS, PARENTS, AND CHILDREN SECOND!!!!!! The past record proves that!!!!!!

Guest Truly Concerned Taxpayer

To Concerned Parent,

yes, you're being petty by making fun of Mr. Fernandez. Are you also going to belittle photos of Mr.Fernandez as Deacon at St. Cecilia's Church?

Guest Guest

My My why so defensive!!! You reacted to my post just like I though you would in blaming past boards for all the mess in the School System. Not one time do you mention how the 4 members of the minority at the period that you refer to tried to stonewall everything that they tried to do and when Mr. King and Company tried to work with them even making McDONALD THE PRESIDENT she proved to be not an HONORABLE selection in bringing everybody together. She played them as fools and instead of bringing people together she divided the board even more with her EGO over UNITY. That i'm sure you are aware of resulted in her being removed as President (THE FIRST TIME THAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF THE KEARNY BOARD OF EDUCATION) and there is where the division started so please don't lecture me on what past boards didn't do because there were constructive things that they attempted to do in being more accountable to the taxpayers instead of money being wasted on senseless lawsuits and stupid investigations resulting in a LAWYER and he knows who is, making a lot money for what? to make up for what he lost when they threw him out of the job 2 years ago? Its sad that you continue to blame people who don't conform to your program. The people will be watching to see how many Family and Friends get promoted or hired in the coming year. As for what you have done up to this point you still haven't said what you dId? The cost overuns on the High School project is already over budget and will need a new cash source (THE TAXPAYER) Lets see how you handle that in the next budget. I know you will try to blame everyone but your group for that but that was their ball and they dropped it and deflated it at the same time. So when you talk about division look at your own group because its all about control and not about unity, working together, including everyone in the process. That will never happen with your group because you thrive on power and it will benefit a small network of people and the program like it has been for years will discredit people who try to oppose your motives. FAMILY AND FRIENDS FIRST!!!!!TEACHERS, PARENTS, AND CHILDREN SECOND!!!!!! The past record proves that!!!!!!

Watch your blood pressure, little man . . . don't blow a gasket. As for your opinions . . . phooey.

Guest Guest

Nothing you say has any credibility. On the Kearny BoE, a majority can pass whatever it wants. Once you use the minority as an excuse for what a united majority failed to do, it's obvious that you're just a shill for the 5 stooges, or maybe one of them.

I said it before but it bears repeating. You did more than enough damage. Now go away.

Guest Freddie

I'm not defensive but from your response, the truth obviously hurts and you try so hard to explain it away. But please explain this. How did the 4 minority members stonewall anything? The fact that they were in the minority speaks for itself. All of your points about lack of unity and inclusion were true except that the 5 were the culprits. They had full control of the board with five votes (hence the references to the Fab 5). They made it crystal clear that they were in control and didn't need the other 4 members. They all had agendas that had nothing to do with education or our children. It's not about people not conforming to a program at all. They were so hellbent on "fixing" things that they cut the districts head off. They fixed the high school project when they replaced the architect which threw the whole project into a tailspin. They fixed it some more when they removed the contractor. They sat on Midland Ave for 3 years while the cost to complete it just increased with each passing day. Wasted money, yes but you should be asking the Fab 5 for a refund. The only stonewalling that happened was done by the majority that actually had the power to do so.

The current and future boards will have to mend the damage. So far, this one seems up to the task.

Guest Not Even Close

Ahh! And so it goes, "no selfish interest." Really? Your opinion is too pointed for anyone to believe that. If you really weren't so full of crap, you could possibly be believable. Our previous boards caused enough damage to our district that it will take years to fix. Midland Ave., the high school project, the middle school concept all delayed and mismanaged for political and personal reasons. Five board members had the majority vote and full control of the board for 3 years and they ran the district into the ground due to really bad decisions on some issues and by gross inaction on others. They held the district hostage the entire time which directly impacted our children and left the district with its current mess. Too many angry cops, a drunk, an angry electrician and a guy under federal indictment who didn't do it all on the board at the same time with too many personal hit lists to count. The problems created were many but as I previously stated, it seems that they are being addressed transparently.

In any case, it will take many years through multiple boards to get the district back to where it belongs. It is clear that this process has begun and the district is moving forward whether or not you acknowledge it yourself. You should save your F for those responsible for the dilemma and not those who are actually correcting it.

Talk about being clueless.

#1- Midland Ave, The 5 people you speak about had absolutely nothing to do with, as a matter of fact a few of them were very outspoken about it being a money pit which should have never been purchased. McDonald and Doran voted to purchase it a few days before a BOE election which elected a few of the people you speak of.....very suspect.

#2- The High School project, the people you speak of had nothing to do with it, only McDonald was there from the beginning of that nightmare.

#3- The 5 you speak of were only a majority, and a weak one at that for 18 months, not 3 years.

No angry cops, no drunk, no angry electrician, no personal hits, just people who upset your little world that was and is once again filled with huge egos, arrogance, stupidity and NO ACCOUNTABILITY whatsoever.

The proof is clear, get rid of Ferraro because he would not play the "OLD" game, hire a person to replace him who does not have the same qualifications and more that you B**ch that Ferraro did not have, spend over a Hundred thousand dollars ($100,000+) trying to hire back a multiple Convicted **** ********* (not an indictment) who happens to be a BOE members *******, and consistently attack previous BOE members, BOE candidates (who are not on your team) and than Cry when the shots come back at you.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Self Interested

Nothing you say has any credibility. On the Kearny BoE, a majority can pass whatever it wants. Once you use the minority as an excuse for what a united majority failed to do, it's obvious that you're just a shill for the 5 stooges, or maybe one of them.

I said it before but it bears repeating. You did more than enough damage. Now go away.

Now go away so I can get a job or a promotion!!!!

Guest Guest

People like you vote for Castelli, Campbell, Plaugic, Leadbeater and King for one reason: they complain the loudest. You think governing a school district, or any other governmental body is easy, and that the only thing wrong is that everyone is corrupt except for you and maybe a few people who agree with you. But in fact, it's not that easy, and the big complainers never offer any solutions. They might say, as you just did, that "there were constructive things" they want to do, but they never say what those things are, which probably means that they don't have any real ideas to offer, just a lot of complaining and accusing. Castelli and Campbell have run that way for years. Thankfully, the BoE elections are now in November, when more people will vote, so those knuckleheads are less likely to be elected.

Instead of shouting nothing as loudly as you can, prove me wrong. What constructive things do you want the Kearny Board of Education to do? People here may or may not agree with you but if you say what you propose to do, at least we could discuss it. And if you can't do that, then stop shouting for a while and re-educate yourself about how government really works.

Guest School Watch

Thank you for explaining it to Freddie he needs to do more research!!!!!!!! By the way the Midland Ave Project is closing in on 3 million!!!!! What decision making that these bozos left for the taxpayers.

Guest FAMILY IS LOADED WITH JOBS

I'm not defensive but from your response, the truth obviously hurts and you try so hard to explain it away. But please explain this. How did the 4 minority members stonewall anything? The fact that they were in the minority speaks for itself. All of your points about lack of unity and inclusion were true except that the 5 were the culprits. They had full control of the board with five votes (hence the references to the Fab 5). They made it crystal clear that they were in control and didn't need the other 4 members. They all had agendas that had nothing to do with education or our children. It's not about people not conforming to a program at all. They were so hellbent on "fixing" things that they cut the districts head off. They fixed the high school project when they replaced the architect which threw the whole project into a tailspin. They fixed it some more when they removed the contractor. They sat on Midland Ave for 3 years while the cost to complete it just increased with each passing day. Wasted money, yes but you should be asking the Fab 5 for a refund. The only stonewalling that happened was done by the majority that actually had the power to do so.

The current and future boards will have to mend the damage. So far, this one seems up to the task.

Oh I forgot everything will ok now that Deputy Mayor Barbara Sherry is on the Board!!! NOT!!!!!!

Guest Freddie

Talk about being clueless.

#1- Midland Ave, The 5 people you speak about had absolutely nothing to do with, as a matter of fact a few of them were very outspoken about it being a money pit which should have never been purchased. McDonald and Doran voted to purchase it a few days before a BOE election which elected a few of the people you speak of.....very suspect.

#2- The High School project, the people you speak of had nothing to do with it, only McDonald was there from the beginning of that nightmare.

#3- The 5 you speak of were only a majority, and a weak one at that for 18 months, not 3 years.

No angry cops, no drunk, no angry electrician, no personal hits, just people who upset your little world that was and is once again filled with huge egos, arrogance, stupidity and NO ACCOUNTABILITY whatsoever.

The proof is clear, get rid of Ferraro because he would not play the "OLD" game, hire a person to replace him who does not have the same qualifications and more that you B**ch that Ferraro did not have, spend over a Hundred thousand dollars ($100,000+) trying to hire back a multiple Convicted **** ********* (not an indictment) who happens to be a BOE members *******, and consistently attack previous BOE members, BOE candidates (who are not on your team) and than Cry when the shots come back at you.

#1- Midland Ave, The Fab5 were very outspoken about it but not completely. Look at the voting records of King, O'Malley and Plaugic during their time on the board pertaining to this project. it was all over the place and not so squeaky clean. Instead of completing it or selling it when they had the majority, they did what all good boards would do. They just sat on it for 3 years and did absolutely nothing. They had a responsibility to move one way or another but they did nothing. A contract was issued to a construction company for renovations but they still did nothing. More classrooms were needed at Franklin School because of overcrowding but they still did nothing. Doing nothing added significantly to the total cost of the project and hurt our kids and the taxpayers in the long term. This is a continuing theme with their record.

#2- The High School project was completely under their control for 3 years. When they started it was fully funded and on budget. They then replaced the architect, the construction attorney and eventually the main contractor. Even Stevie Wonder could see why the project is now on its head.

#3- The Fab5 were only a majority, and a weak one???? Given the people involved with the majority, I think your statement says it all and is laughable.

Guest Accurate Account

Thank God someone actually understands what went on and continues to go on. Thank you for your post. It was the most accurate post I have ever read here.

Guest Taxpayers Slammed

The Midland ave project is at $3.5 million already and that don't include all the time and OVERTIME our own BOE workers spent working there and the materials that the BOE purchased.

Guest Three Witches

I heard the 3 *******, McDonald, Lindenfelser and Sherry are all infighting over power and who is making all the decisions.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest School Watch

People like you vote for Castelli, Campbell, Plaugic, Leadbeater and King for one reason: they complain the loudest. You think governing a school district, or any other governmental body is easy, and that the only thing wrong is that everyone is corrupt except for you and maybe a few people who agree with you. But in fact, it's not that easy, and the big complainers never offer any solutions. They might say, as you just did, that "there were constructive things" they want to do, but they never say what those things are, which probably means that they don't have any real ideas to offer, just a lot of complaining and accusing. Castelli and Campbell have run that way for years. Thankfully, the BoE elections are now in November, when more people will vote, so those knuckleheads are less likely to be elected.

Instead of shouting nothing as loudly as you can, prove me wrong. What constructive things do you want the Kearny Board of Education to do? People here may or may not agree with you but if you say what you propose to do, at least we could discuss it. And if you can't do that, then stop shouting for a while and re-educate yourself about how government really works.

The people you refer to were elected by the citizens of this town. WHY? Because the people who were there lost the confidence of the Majority of the community. That's what elections are for and the last election cycle changed the Board again. Your post contradicts your complaint that all they did was complain and accuse. You need to look at yourself because that's all you seem to be doing is accusing and complaining about people who were elected at that time to ask questions about illegal hiring of an employee with a criminal record? paying two supt's of school? fast tracking a middle school without exploring options on how to spent the least amount of money and getting maximum results? Why we are cutting educational programs and replacing them with lights at Franklin Field? Why are we spending so much money on lawyers to investigate the Supt of Schools? Why are their cost over runs of over a million dollars at the High School? Why is there such a pattern of Board Members using there positions as a Family Employment Agency? Your group was elected and now have the Majority and up to this point they have shown no respect for the Taxpayer with this wasteful display of settling scores at the Taxpayers expense. I support people who are accountable to the people and if they accuse and complain if its for the examples I have given you above then I encourage them to continue to accuse and complain because there is reason for it, The cycle changes and the next few years will dictate the direction of our schools. So far you have shown that the way this Board has spent Tax Money is not in the interest of the Students and the Property Taxpayer. Remember things can change in the election cycle and the people will be watching with great interest.

The people you refer to were elected by the citizens of this town. WHY? Because the people who were there lost the confidence of the Majority of the community. That's what elections are for and the last election cycle changed the Board again. Your post contradicts your complaint that all they did was complain and accuse. You need to look at yourself because that's all you seem to be doing is accusing and complaining about people who were elected at that time to ask questions about illegal hiring of an employee with a criminal record? paying two supt's of school? fast tracking a middle school without exploring options on how to spent the least amount of money and getting maximum results? Why we are cutting educational programs and replacing them with lights at Franklin Field? Why are we spending so much money on lawyers to investigate the Supt of Schools? Why are their cost over runs of over a million dollars at the High School? Why is there such a pattern of Board Members using there positions as a Family Employment Agency? Your group was elected and now have the Majority and up to this point they have shown no respect for the Taxpayer with this wasteful display of settling scores at the Taxpayers expense. I support people who are accountable to the people and if they accuse and complain if its for the examples I have given you above then I encourage them to continue to accuse and complain because there is reason for it, The cycle changes and the next few years will dictate the direction of our schools. So far you have shown that the way this Board has spent Tax Money is not in the interest of the Students and the Property Taxpayer. Remember things can change in the election cycle and the people will be watching with great interest.

The five stooges were elected by a small percentage of Kearny voters in elections where very few people voted. They were elected by friends and family. Now that BoE elections are in November, they can't win. Once the people saw what boobs they were, they were voted out, decisively.

You're making very general charges, and not specifying what you propose for the Board to do. I have no reason to accept your spin on these issues. That said, your questions appear to be legitimate on their face. Have you asked the Board for answers? If so, what have they said? If not, why not?

Guest Goody Hallett

I heard the 3 *******, McDonald, Lindenfelser and Sherry are all infighting over power and who is making all the decisions.

Now that's just silly. Everybody knows the 3 w*****s are Mc Donald, Sherry & Paris. Lindenfelser isn't a w***h, she's a lawyer.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Which educational programs are being cut because of the lights at Franklin Field? And how much EXTRA money has been spent by changing Lincoln to a middle school? And when was the last time a relative of a board member was hired? You want to talk about accountability, start by providing some cold hard facts to back up your claims.

Guest Contamination

#1- Midland Ave, The Fab5 were very outspoken about it but not completely. Look at the voting records of King, O'Malley and Plaugic during their time on the board pertaining to this project. it was all over the place and not so squeaky clean. Instead of completing it or selling it when they had the majority, they did what all good boards would do. They just sat on it for 3 years and did absolutely nothing. They had a responsibility to move one way or another but they did nothing. A contract was issued to a construction company for renovations but they still did nothing. More classrooms were needed at Franklin School because of overcrowding but they still did nothing. Doing nothing added significantly to the total cost of the project and hurt our kids and the taxpayers in the long term. This is a continuing theme with their record.

#2- The High School project was completely under their control for 3 years. When they started it was fully funded and on budget. They then replaced the architect, the construction attorney and eventually the main contractor. Even Stevie Wonder could see why the project is now on its head.

#3- The Fab5 were only a majority, and a weak one???? Given the people involved with the majority, I think your statement says it all and is laughable.

The Midland Ave property was purchased, AS IS, and assuming ALL environmental clean up. The company hired by the BOE recommended not purchasing the property until further investigating was performed because of 5 underground fuel tanks. The board, including surest Pres McDonald and member Doran disregarded the information and days prior to new board members being sworn in went ahead and purchased the property for $975,000.00. This was noted in an environmental report issued to the BOARD prior to the Fab 5 ever entering the equation.

The Board estimated clean up to be about $40,000.00, well it cost over $400,000.00 and 3 years to get a clean ok to build. NOTHING to do with the Fab 5 Holding (or sitting) on things. The law states that a building permit Can Not be issued until soil remediation has been completed. Keep trying.

Guest On your back

It's funny that you talk about employees with criminal records!!! Seems to me you have an ax to grind ******* ****** ???? Check your facts and you will find out that mr ****** has a friend who was recommended by the ****** dog of the ****** *** that has a brother who was arrested while working for the board on the clock with two ounces of some white powder... He s still working getting large amounts of overtime that you keep complaining about yet He still has a job. Why don't you reply to that post ** ****?

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Fact Checker

The Midland Ave project was the idea of then Superintendent Frank DiGesere and was approved by a then Board majority aligned with Bernadette McDonald and Doran. The purchase was "as is" and the purchase contract was ******* by then (and now again) Board attorney Ken Lindenfelser.

Total cost for Midland Ave project now exceeds $3.5 million.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Makes sense

Can anyone do the math ... At the end of the day boe will not be paying rent on 2 locations equalling over 6000. Monthly not to mention a 900,000. Grant of course cut could have been made but the job is getting done ,think about those monthly payment the tax payers paid while the building stayed empty...