The story doesn't make sense.

Guest Guest

Here's the thing; as a "Christian" I will admit that the bible taken literally does not make sense. I struggle with these feelings because I want to believe that we aren't alone. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person and as such I cannot honestly say I believe it to be true. However, I find most of the posts here to be insulting. You want people to open up and speak about Christianity by berating their beliefs? It's not going to happen. It just causes them to become defensive. You don't really want a discussion anyway, you want "us" to admit what I just did.

Here's the thing; as a "Christian" I will admit that the bible taken literally does not make sense. I struggle with these feelings because I want to believe that we aren't alone. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person and as such I cannot honestly say I believe it to be true. However, I find most of the posts here to be insulting. You want people to open up and speak about Christianity by berating their beliefs? It's not going to happen. It just causes them to become defensive. You don't really want a discussion anyway, you want "us" to admit what I just did.

I appreciate that. However, you're just one person. Christian theology is pervasive in the United States, and throughout much of the world, and unlike you many people take it literally, and won't open their minds to reality, let alone change their minds. You did, and I appreciate it. That doesn't mean that I can just sit back and not say anything about what I see as a problem. For example, only about half of the people in the USA accept evolution of species, even though it is an established fact and the intellectual foundation of modern biology. Most of the opposition comes from biblical literalism, which causes many people to shut out reality, and choose ignorance over knowledge. I'm very sorry if you find this insulting, but I have found that people refuse to discuss this subject unless you really piss them off. So OK, I pissed you off. You'll live. I find the damage done to our culture by Christian theology to be beyond insulting. Perhaps if everyone was as open and thoughtful as you are, we wouldn't have this problem.

Guest Kearny Christian

I appreciate that. However, you're just one person. Christian theology is pervasive in the United States, and throughout much of the world, and unlike you many people take it literally, and won't open their minds to reality, let alone change their minds. You did, and I appreciate it. That doesn't mean that I can just sit back and not say anything about what I see as a problem. For example, only about half of the people in the USA accept evolution of species, even though it is an established fact and the intellectual foundation of modern biology. Most of the opposition comes from biblical literalism, which causes many people to shut out reality, and choose ignorance over knowledge. I'm very sorry if you find this insulting, but I have found that people refuse to discuss this subject unless you really piss them off. So OK, I pissed you off. You'll live. I find the damage done to our culture by Christian theology to be beyond insulting. Perhaps if everyone was as open and thoughtful as you are, we wouldn't have this problem.

Weird. The atheist is now posting as a Christian (Matt).

Weird. The atheist is now posting as a Christian (Matt).

This makes no sense at all, and even if it did, you're completely ignoring the topic. How does your ridiculous theology make any sense?

According to the God babblers who keep posting here, there is a God who sent his only divine Son to die on a cross so that those who believed in him may be saved from eternal torment. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but shall have eternal life." (John 3:16)

The story is obviously a ridiculous fairy tale. I'm not saying it to be mean. I'm saying it because the God babblers keep forcing their religion on us, and - along with many others - I'm sick of it. They want to talk about their religion, and push it on everyone. OK, then let's talk about it. If it wasn't for their incessant pushing, I wouldn't do this.

In the first place, Christians can't even get their story straight. Is it a lake of fire and eternal torment, or merely death and annihilation? Assuming the former, God would be a sociopath and a psychopath, making the story a horrid fairy tale. Assuming the latter, the story is merely a fairy tale.

Second, assume the story to be true. According to the story, God offered himself as a sacrifice, out of love, for each and every person on earth. The offer, per John 3:16, was extended to the whole world, and salvation is granted to everyone "who believes in him." You can't believe in someone you've never heard of. If the story was true, every person who ever lived, since Jesus died, would have known about the story, thereby having the chance to believe. Yet when white Europeans encountered native peoples all over the world, in remote areas, from the late medieval period into the 20th century, they had never heard the story. They had no chance to believe. But according to the fairy tale, their salvation was conditioned on belief. Surely God would have the power to send an angel to tell everyone about the most important thing he ever did, the thing that would offer them salvation. Yet somehow, most of the world never heard the story. This is proof beyond any reasonable doubt that the story is a cultural artifact, born of a particular time and place. It is not universal. It isn't true. It never happened. If it had happened, everyone who ever lived since Jesus died would have heard about it. God would have made sure of that - if that God existed.

I cannot prove whether there is or is not a God. But the use of a little reason proves beyond any doubt that this version of God is a fairy tale.

You wanted to discuss your religion, God babblers. You want an officially sanctioned Christmas tree, not just a holiday tree. In only seven months, you can start whining about that again. Again, I'm not saying this, in this forum, for any other reason except that you keep shoving your religion down our throats. Here's your chance to show everyone why the things written here are not true. You wanted to discuss your religion. Go ahead.

Nine months and counting. Finally, one Christian has come forward to admit that the story is not true. Where are the answers? There aren't any.

You know it's a myth.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the God babblers who keep posting here, there is a God who sent his only divine Son to die on a cross so that those who believed in him may be saved from eternal torment. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but shall have eternal life." (John 3:16)

The story is obviously a ridiculous fairy tale. I'm not saying it to be mean. I'm saying it because the God babblers keep forcing their religion on us, and - along with many others - I'm sick of it. They want to talk about their religion, and push it on everyone. OK, then let's talk about it. If it wasn't for their incessant pushing, I wouldn't do this.

In the first place, Christians can't even get their story straight. Is it a lake of fire and eternal torment, or merely death and annihilation? Assuming the former, God would be a sociopath and a psychopath, making the story a horrid fairy tale. Assuming the latter, the story is merely a fairy tale.

Second, assume the story to be true. According to the story, God offered himself as a sacrifice, out of love, for each and every person on earth. The offer, per John 3:16, was extended to the whole world, and salvation is granted to everyone "who believes in him." You can't believe in someone you've never heard of. If the story was true, every person who ever lived, since Jesus died, would have known about the story, thereby having the chance to believe. Yet when white Europeans encountered native peoples all over the world, in remote areas, from the late medieval period into the 20th century, they had never heard the story. They had no chance to believe. But according to the fairy tale, their salvation was conditioned on belief. Surely God would have the power to send an angel to tell everyone about the most important thing he ever did, the thing that would offer them salvation. Yet somehow, most of the world never heard the story. This is proof beyond any reasonable doubt that the story is a cultural artifact, born of a particular time and place. It is not universal. It isn't true. It never happened. If it had happened, everyone who ever lived since Jesus died would have heard about it. God would have made sure of that - if that God existed.

I cannot prove whether there is or is not a God. But the use of a little reason proves beyond any doubt that this version of God is a fairy tale.

You wanted to discuss your religion, God babblers. You want an officially sanctioned Christmas tree, not just a holiday tree. In only seven months, you can start whining about that again. Again, I'm not saying this, in this forum, for any other reason except that you keep shoving your religion down our throats. Here's your chance to show everyone why the things written here are not true. You wanted to discuss your religion. Go ahead.

Still waiting for some answers.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest

The story still doesn't make any sense.

We're more than a year since the OP, and still no answers. Admit it, Christians:

You know it's a myth.

If you didn't, you wouldn't act this way.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Woof
On 4/25/2014 at 9:13 PM, Guest Guest said:

The silence in non-response to this was deafening, and it still is.

Guest Woof
On 1/22/2015 at 6:23 PM, Guest Matt said:

Yeah, so what? An OP designed to get people to admit the truth. What's wrong with that?

Mules are known for not paying attention. Sometimes you have to find a way to get their attention. This topic didn't draw many responses from Christians who would even try to defend what is obviously a set of myths. That in itself makes the point very clearly.

Guest Kearny Christian
13 hours ago, Guest Woof said:

Yeah, so what? An OP designed to get people to admit the truth. What's wrong with that?

Mules are known for not paying attention. Sometimes you have to find a way to get their attention. This topic didn't draw many responses from Christians who would even try to defend what is obviously a set of myths. That in itself makes the point very clearly.

I'll say a prayer for you tonight. I hope you find God and allow him to enter your heart. Otherwise your soul is lost.

Guest Woof
On 11/2/2014 at 1:31 AM, Guest Guest said:

Let's try Bible study. Kearny Christian should like that.

And let's pick a favorite verse. In fact, let's pick what is probably the most popular verse in the Bible. It's the one you see posted on cards at football games and political events.

John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Wow! Sounds great, right? Well yes, if you overlook that "perish" business. There's a difference between perishing, and suffering in eternal torment but let's overlook that for now. According to this passage, God is offering salvation. Let's take it a step at a time.

"What is God doing?" He is offering salvation.

"To whom is he offering salvation?" To the whole world, everyone.

"Why is he doing that?" Because he loves us. Every person who ever lived is God's child. He loves us all.

"Do I, or does anyone, have to do anything to be saved?" All you have to do is believe. Just accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and you will live with God forever, in paradise.

"So this is a very important biblical passage." Aside from creating us in the first place, this offer of salvation is what God is all about. This is God proving his love for us - as if he should ever have to do that.

"But what about all the people who never heard of Jesus?"

There is no good answer to that question. If you say that they cannot be saved, because they cannot accept or believe in someone they've never heard of, that makes no sense. If you say that they are saved anyway, because God makes exceptions for people who never heard of him, then the whole melodrama about a death and resurrection was never necessary in the first place. There's no escaping the contradiction. You can't say "the only way to the Father is through his Son, Jesus the Christ," and then start making exceptions when you think you need one to salvage the narrative.

This isn't being mean, or angry. It's just being honest. When you take the story literally, it does not make sense.

Kearny Christian, or anyone else: what say you?

It's true. There's no way around this problem. John 3:16 is obviously false.

Kearny Christian, you may pray for me all you like. Unfortunately, I cannot think for you. It doesn't work that way.

Guest Truth teller

It's hard to convince people of the truth when they don't want to hear it. But the fact is, the Bible is a collection of stories and a few poem-like sections. That's all it ever was, and all it ever will be.

Guest Kearny Christian
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Guest Woof said:

Kearny Christian, you may pray for me all you like. Unfortunately, I cannot think for you. It doesn't work that way.

Your metaphors aside, I'll continue to pray for you.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Guest Woof said:

Guest Woof
On 5/17/2016 at 2:37 PM, Guest Kearny Christian said:

Pray for me all you want, it won't help you know what a metaphor is.

Guest Big Boy
On 5/17/2016 at 2:37 PM, Guest Kearny Christian said:

Wow! Look at you, using a big word like "metaphor". You even spelled it correctly. Maybe someday you'll learn what it means.