Political courage

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

On another topic, someone just made reference to "Joe Gaffe," the unflattering nickname that has been given to Vice President Biden. People say they want politicians to tell them the truth, but very few people act as though they do. Joe Biden has gotten into political trouble mainly for telling the truth.

For example, he "got ahead of the president on gay marriage" when he honestly answered a question at a private event where a married gay couple and their children were present. When asked about public policy on marriage equality, here is what he said. "I look at those two beautiful kids. I wish everybody could see this. All you got to do is look in the eyes of those kids. And no one can wonder, no one can wonder whether or not they are cared for and nurtured and loved and reinforced. And folks, what's happening is, everybody is beginning to see it. Things are changing so rapidly, it's going to become a political liability in the near term for an individual to say 'I oppose gay marriage.' Mark my words."

(1) He was dead right. Marriage equality has moved faster than any other major issue of its kind. (2) He said something most politicians did not have the political courage to say. (3) He said it because it was the right and moral thing to say.

Politicians do what we reward, and they will not do what we punish politically. People blame politicians but the real problem is us. Most Americans - I am sorry to say it but it's true - are either too stupid or too lazy to think through our political views and what we do about them. We're spoon-fed our entertainment, of which politics has become a part, and have come to think this is how it ought to be. The corporations and hedge fund managers are taking over the whole world. We should all be marching in the streets to stop it. Yet we sit in our comfortable homes, day after day, as though the new tyranny of unfettered capitalism is just another talking point. If we don't smarten-up about the requirements of democracy, and the responsibilities it imposes on all of us, we will not continue to be a free people.

We need more people, including politicians, who are willing to say unpopular things. But more than that, we need a better informed and more responsible citizenry than we have today. Next time someone says something you don't agree with, by all means, feel free to criticize it. But at least think about it, not just about how it sounds to the uninformed ear.

Guest Patriot

On another topic, someone just made reference to "Joe Gaffe," the unflattering nickname that has been given to Vice President Biden. People say they want politicians to tell them the truth, but very few people act as though they do. Joe Biden has gotten into political trouble mainly for telling the truth.

For example, he "got ahead of the president on gay marriage" when he honestly answered a question at a private event where a married gay couple and their children were present. When asked about public policy on marriage equality, here is what he said. "I look at those two beautiful kids. I wish everybody could see this. All you got to do is look in the eyes of those kids. And no one can wonder, no one can wonder whether or not they are cared for and nurtured and loved and reinforced. And folks, what's happening is, everybody is beginning to see it. Things are changing so rapidly, it's going to become a political liability in the near term for an individual to say 'I oppose gay marriage.' Mark my words."

(1) He was dead right. Marriage equality has moved faster than any other major issue of its kind. (2) He said something most politicians did not have the political courage to say. (3) He said it because it was the right and moral thing to say.

Politicians do what we reward, and they will not do what we punish politically. People blame politicians but the real problem is us. Most Americans - I am sorry to say it but it's true - are either too stupid or too lazy to think through our political views and what we do about them. We're spoon-fed our entertainment, of which politics has become a part, and have come to think this is how it ought to be. The corporations and hedge fund managers are taking over the whole world. We should all be marching in the streets to stop it. Yet we sit in our comfortable homes, day after day, as though the new tyranny of unfettered capitalism is just another talking point. If we don't smarten-up about the requirements of democracy, and the responsibilities it imposes on all of us, we will not continue to be a free people.

We need more people, including politicians, who are willing to say unpopular things. But more than that, we need a better informed and more responsible citizenry than we have today. Next time someone says something you don't agree with, by all means, feel free to criticize it. But at least think about it, not just about how it sounds to the uninformed ear.

Really ?? Was "a three letter word; J - O - B - S " simply speaking the truth. The guy is a moron. Look up "Bidenisms" on Google, there's a whole page of

his moronic "truth-tellings". And this clown wants to be president, God help us.

Guest Guest

OK, so I read the list of "Bidenisms." They don't amount to anything. Most of them are simple mistakes that anyone could make. Some of them, like the comment about Indian-Americans running convenience stores, are true but politically incorrect. You right wingers say you want public officials who speak honestly - until you get someone who does that, then that's not what you wanted after all.

Vice President Biden speaks from his heart, very passionately. A person like that is going to make mistakes, as we all do, but in return, we get someone who is more honest than the average politician. He also uses his head. Look down the list of "Bidenisms." There aren't any of the kinds of blunders that make a serious difference. Those are especially important in foreign policy.

Of course, you could have looked up "dumbest George W. Bush quotes of all time." It's a long list, and they're profoundly stupid things to say. They aren't just flubs of a word or "misremembering" a name. Yet somehow you had no problem with Bush, who damaged our international reputation with his stupid remarks and cowboy attitude.

Besides, if Biden is so horrible, then why do you want President Obama to be impeached? Truth is, you'll be against him no matter what he says or does, because you consider him a political enemy. But he's not the one who isn't thinking clearly. You are.

Guest STFU Already

Pat-Rat, a/k/a 2Stupid4Words, a/k/a Kearny Christian, you have a serious problem focusing, don't you.

Yeah, here we go, Another asshole who doesnt have the integrity to even CHOOSE a name to post under..accusing others of multiple losting...Way to go Douchenozzle

Guest Guest

Yeah, here we go, Another asshole who doesnt have the integrity to even CHOOSE a name to post under..accusing others of multiple losting...Way to go Douchenozzle

Perhaps you can explain how posting under a pseudonym reflects integrity.