Pity the poor atheist.

Guest Kearny Christian

Guest Guest

The only side effect of Kook-Aid is from the sugar. It was the poison that killed Jones' followers. But since O'Reilly didn't tell you that, you didn't know. You just drank his Kool-Aid. That didn't make you stupid but it didn't make you smarter either. So you're still stupid.

Guest Guest

I think you're projecting the negative side effects of Kool-Aid.

No, Stupid. That's not what projection is. You have a very flat learning curve, don't you.

• 3 weeks later...

Not angry at all. Pew polls have shown an increasing trend towards non-belief in the coming generations and the number one reason given is that churches are too political. I don't have to be angry-you are destroying yourselves. I do find it interesting that you find the truth so hurtful. Let me give examples. 1. Opposition to stem cell research has caused us to fall behind in science. 2. Creationism is a leading cause of us falling behind the rest of the world. 3. Opposition to gay marraige is almost entirely religious. There are quite a few examples of Christians wanting preferential treatment-school prayer, changing the Pledge and our national motto, denying permits to mosques, and the apparently biggest one which we can find right on this page, forcing everyone to recognize their holy day. What you don't get with your weaselly posts above is that we wouldn't care about your religion if you did something good with it. Most religious people are decent people, and many do great good because of their beliefs. But you would rather rant about what everyone else is doing wrong because your faith is shallow. It is easy to post on the internet and feel you are doing God's work rather than actually doing what Jesus told you to do

Another example of angry, mean spirited etheists: An atheist group is suing Kansas State University to remove the bibles that are placed in the hotel on campus. I think I'll add pathetic to angry and mean spirited.

In online discussion, perception is important. As was already pointed out, the fact you can't even avoid posting inside the quote you're replying to doesn't give you much credence.

I'm 58 and have been an atheist since I was 12-13. Years before I even knew what the word "atheist" meant. I grew up in the only Jewish family in a Southern Baptist community along with a smattering of Catholics and Protestants. I realized how my religion was totally incompatible with all the others, and even the various christian sects that lived around me couldn't agree with each other, yet all of them claimed to be right and everyone else was wrong. The lack of evidence that any god exists contributed a lot too.

I engage in online discussion, only because I feel that anyone in attendance is there by choice and even if things get heated, they always have the option to leave at any time. In the real world, I'm much more respectful. If religion comes up in casual conversation, I try to change the subject. Interestingly, I was at a dinner party recently, and I had pegged everyone else as being traditionally religious for people in their 60s. Suddenly everybody started talking about how/when they stopped being religious. No one actually claimed to be an atheist, but nearly everyone said they weren't religious. Some of the statements sounded to me like they were nonbelievers and/or atheists.

That said, you've been pretty fast and loose with your accusations about atheists. Mainly about these terrible billboards. Can you cite any references to billboards that mock your god? The ones I've seen/read about challenge people's beliefs and encourage them to reflect on how believable they really are. You'll believe the same thing you did as a child unless you stop and think about it. And I can point out a number of Christian billboards that are much worse than any of the atheist ones.

There's probably a dozen tax exempt churches within a 5 mile radius of my home, yet Christians claim their religious freedom is being attacked whenever they want to violate the establishment clause of the First Amendment and impose their religion on everybody, all the time. There's a recent story of a science teacher in Louisiana, who is a young earth creationist. She taught creationism and gave tests on it. She led the class in mocking and laughing at a Buddhist student because he wouldn't answer the test questions. The school lost a lawsuit over that.

I personally would like the Pledge of Allegiance and our national motto to be returned to the original values, before the cold war mentality caused a mob rule effort to change them. I'll sign petitions, agree with like minded people, even approve of thought provoking billboards. I hope to see this occur in my lifetime.

Westboro Baptists protest the funerals of our troops in the name of Christianity. Should I generalize that to all Christians? Of course not, because that would be the very definition of prejudice. Sounds like the pathetic label belongs on you, bigot.

This is one of the examples I use too. Whenever a christian tells me why I'm going to hell, I point out that other sects disagree with them. They usually just say the other sects "interpret" things the wrong way. I mention that the other sects say the exact same thing about them. Usually the WBC is invoked to show that if every sect is right all the time, then they must be right all the time too.

No more than our cocaine using Obama.

Odd that none of the conservatives ever cared about GWB's very long history with drug and alcohol use. Including at least one DWI.