Pity the poor atheist.

Guest Kearny Christian

Ok, I couldn't find a single story (not even a blog post!) by Googling "atheists sue Kansas State University." Amusingly said search does bring up page after page of Christians trying to sue to get their beliefs taught in schools, just as I said before. I did find a post about an atheist group persuading (nolawsuit involved) Iowa State University to remove Bibles from campus lodging-but since the campus is a government body, surely you wouldn't want them to promote your religion! After all, you accused me of being mean spirited when I said that you do! Gee, what would that make you?

Guest Patriot

Not angry at all. Pew polls have shown an increasing trend towards non-belief in the coming generations and the number one reason given is that churches are too political. I don't have to be angry-you are destroying yourselves. I do find it interesting that you find the truth so hurtful. Let me give examples. 1. Opposition to stem cell research has caused us to fall behind in science. 2. Creationism is a leading cause of us falling behind the rest of the world. 3. Opposition to gay marraige is almost entirely religious. There are quite a few examples of Christians wanting preferential treatment-school prayer, changing the Pledge and our national motto, denying permits to mosques, and the apparently biggest one which we can find right on this page, forcing everyone to recognize their holy day. What you don't get with your weaselly posts above is that we wouldn't care about your religion if you did something good with it. Most religious people are decent people, and many do great good because of their beliefs. But you would rather rant about what everyone else is doing wrong because your faith is shallow. It is easy to post on the internet and feel you are doing God's work rather than actually doing what Jesus told you to do

Another example of angry, mean spirited etheists: An atheist group is suing Kansas State University to remove the bibles that are placed in the hotel on campus. I think I'll add pathetic to angry and mean spirited.

Where's that supposed "live and let live" narritive that the atheists on KOTW like to spew?? Sounds more like mean spirited jealousy.

Guest Patriot

Now you're just being stupid. That is not angry and mean-spirited. It's enforcing the law. KSU is a public university, which means that it is government-owned and run. So is Iowa State University, where the Freedom From Religion Foundation succeeded in getting the university to remove bibles from its hotel rooms. In placing the bibles there, the universities were promoting the Christian religion, exclusively. They weren't also placing Korans and Upanishads and Bhagivad Gitas and "Spelling God With Two O's" in the hotels. They were promoting one religion over all the others. In other words, they were endorsing that religion, which the First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits. In behaving that way, these two universities in far-right-wing states, were not treating everyone equally. (In fairness, FFRF succeeded in another case in Wisconsin, where FFRF is based.) They were giving Christians preferential treatment by endorsing their religion. And that is why FFRF sued to stop the practice. And FFRF succeeded. See this article on the story, from the Christian Post and this one from FFRF's website.

Now, why did they succeed? They succeeded because the universities knew they were right. If those lawsuits had continued, FFRF would have won. So in other words, these universities were doing something they knew was illegal, and FFRF stopped them. That's not angry or mean-spirited. It's civic-minded.

Dan Barker, one of the co-chairs of FFRF along with his wife Annie Laurie Gaylor, is a former evangelical Christian minister. He is not angry or mean-spirited. On the contrary, he is a warm and delightful man who realized that the religion he used to believe in was wrong, for several reasons. Annie is also a very kind person. Do you know either of them? Of course you don't. But I do. They are very kind and good people. You just don't agree with them.

There are two big problems with you, for starters anyway. One is that nothing gets through to you. No matter how many times something is explained to you, if you don't want to hear it, you just block it out. You'll never engage on a discussion of this point, which you just raised. You know deep down that you're wrong. If you didn't, you wouldn't keep changing and ignoring the subject. But you won't change your mind because the information I just gave you never gets processed in the rational centers of your brain. You block it, and a result, you never learn anything on these subjects. So you keep writing the same thing over and over, and the discussion never moves forward.

The other is, you are angry and mean-spirited. Look at how you post. You deride people. You sneer at people. You call names just because you don't agree with someone. At the top of this post, I wrote that you were being stupid. That's not to say that you are a stupid person, only that you are being stupid. Those are not empty words. I wrote them because they are true. You responded to a highly intelligent post by changing the subject and giving an example that doesn't even support your point. That is stupid. You, on the other hand, go after people just because you don't agree with them. And you don't have the respect for others to open your mind and consider that maybe - just maybe - someone else could be right and you could be wrong. So in the end, you don't worship God. You worship yourself, and your own opinions. Those aren't empty words either. I've been watching you post, and that is an accurate assessment of what you are doing.

So if people fire back at you, ask yourself what you are doing to invite their response.

The FFRF is an angry, mean-spirited, biased and hateful group of atheists. You refer to them as if they were some honorable patriotic organization. Pull your head out of the sand and lay off the Kool-Aid.

Edited by KOTW
Note: KOTW has stopped fixing quotes, so please pay attention and place comment after the quoted post or simply post without quoting.

Guest Believer

Sometimes I feel so low-down and disgusted

Can't help but wonder what's happening to my companions

Are they lost or are they found, have they counted the cost it'll take to bring down

All their earthly principles they're gonna have to abandon ?

There's slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

I had a woman down in Alabama

She was a backwoods girl, but she sure was realistic

She said, Boy, without a doubt, have to quit your mess and straighten out

You could die down here, be just another accident statistic

All that foreign oil controlling American soil

Look around you, it's just bound to make you embarrassed

Sheiks walking around like kings, wearing fancy jewels and nose rings

Deciding America's future from Amsterdam and to Paris

And there's slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more

You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting

In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave

Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan

Big-time negotiators, false healers and woman haters

Masters of the bluff and masters of the proposition

But the enemy I see wears a cloak of decency

All non-believers and men stealers talking in the name of religion

And there's slow, there's slow train coming up around the bend.

People starving and thirsting, grain elevators are bursting

Oh, you know it costs more to store the food than it do to give it

They say loose your inhibitions, follow your own ambitions

They talk about a life of brotherly love, show me someone who knows how to live it

Well, my baby went to Illinois with some bad-talking boy she could destroy

A real suicide case, but there was nothing I could do to stop it

I don't care about economy, I don't care about astronomy

But it's sure do bother me to see my loved ones turning into puppets

Who can name the artist? A 1970's album by a guy who appeared in a Super Bowl commercial and whose also had one of his songs as the soundtrack for another Super Bowl commercial. One of his songs also was a soundtrack on the Sopranos off this very same album. Don't Google it. Try to figure it out. This song summarizes this thread for both sides.

. . . .

The FFRF is an angry, mean-spirited, biased and hateful group of atheists. You refer to them as if they were some honorable patriotic organization. Pull your head out of the sand and lay off the Kool-Aid.

(Edited by KOTW, Today, 08:05 AM.

Note: KOTW has stopped fixing quotes, so please pay attention and place comment after the quoted post or simply post without quoting.)

Better still, "Patriot," a/k/a "Kearny Christian," a/k/a "2Stupid4Words," shut up and stop making a fool of yourself. Thanks, KOTW, for a good laugh.

Where's that supposed "live and let live" narritive that the atheists on KOTW like to spew?? Sounds more like mean spirited jealousy.

Who started this thread? Wasn't the atheists. Also, if you don't want people to know when you are switching names, be more careful not to make the same mistakes in the same thread, Kearny Christian. I could have sworn Jesus said something about dishonesty. Finally-I'm a gay former Christian. Do you really think you are going to convince me that the Christians are the ones being persecuted?

There would be no problem if the university also put texts from other religious traditions in the hotel rooms, including secularist texts. That would be living and letting everyone else live the same way. But instead the university chose to promote one religion and insult all the rest by omission. That is not live-and-let-live. So they were asked to stop. To their credit, they did.

Guest Kearny Dylan Fan

Sometimes I feel so low-down and disgusted

Can't help but wonder what's happening to my companions

Are they lost or are they found, have they counted the cost it'll take to bring down

All their earthly principles they're gonna have to abandon ?

I had a woman down in Alabama

She was a backwoods girl, but she sure was realistic

She said, Boy, without a doubt, have to quit your mess and straighten out

You could die down here, be just another accident statistic

Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more

You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting

In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave

Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan

Big-time negotiators, false healers and woman haters

Masters of the bluff and masters of the proposition

But the enemy I see wears a cloak of decency

All non-believers and men stealers talking in the name of religion

And there's slow, there's slow train coming up around the bend.

People starving and thirsting, grain elevators are bursting

Oh, you know it costs more to store the food than it do to give it

They say loose your inhibitions, follow your own ambitions

They talk about a life of brotherly love, show me someone who knows how to live it

Well, my baby went to Illinois with some bad-talking boy she could destroy

A real suicide case, but there was nothing I could do to stop it

I don't care about economy, I don't care about astronomy

But it's sure do bother me to see my loved ones turning into puppets

Who can name the artist? A 1970's album by a guy who appeared in a Super Bowl commercial and whose also had one of his songs as the soundtrack for another Super Bowl commercial. One of his songs also was a soundtrack on the Sopranos off this very same album. Don't Google it. Try to figure it out. This song summarizes this thread for both sides.

Slow Train Coming is the nineteenth studio album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on August 20, 1979 by Columbia Records. It was the artist's first effort since becoming a born-again Christian, and all of the songs either express his strong personal faith, or stress the importance of Christian teachings and philosophy. The evangelical nature of the record alienated many of Dylan's existing fans; at the same time, many Christians were drawn into his fan base. Slow Train Coming was listed at #16 in the 2001 book CCM Presents: The 100 Greatest Albums in Christian Music.

Guest a non-stoned Dylan fan

Slow Train Coming is the nineteenth studio album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on August 20, 1979 by Columbia Records. It was the artist's first effort since becoming a born-again Christian, and all of the songs either express his strong personal faith, or stress the importance of Christian teachings and philosophy. The evangelical nature of the record alienated many of Dylan's existing fans; at the same time, many Christians were drawn into his fan base. Slow Train Coming was listed at #16 in the 2001 book CCM Presents: The 100 Greatest Albums in Christian Music.

Dylan's a great artist but that heroin can really mess you up. You're not suggesting Dylan as a personal role model, are you?

Guest Kearny Dylan Fan

Dylan's a great artist but that heroin can really mess you up. You're not suggesting Dylan as a personal role model, are you?

There are worse role models. What I was doing was answering the posters question although I cheated and googled it. May that makes me a bad role model for you atheist guys. Or are you a Christian guy commenting. Love the lyrics and the message. To think it was written in 1979 and it still applies right now.

One verse for example and there are others:

Guest Kearny Dylan Fan

No more than our cocaine using Obama.

You right wingers . . . it's never about content or reality, just one snotty remark after another. President Obama has and always has had a stable family life. When he was very young, he used drugs as a youth. He was never an addict, and there's no reason to think it was habitual. Bob Dylan is a great artist but has been a heroin addict. There's a huge difference. Any attempt to compare the two only betrays that you're not merely biased here; your rational brain isn't functioning on this subject. It's called blind hatred for a reason.

Or consider Dylan's song lyrics. OK, so he wrote a song and became a Christian. So what? If it meant something to him, great. If he straightened out his life and ended his addiction, great. But to suggest that it proves anything about atheists or Christians - come on.

It would be so nice to have real discussions on this forum. That's only possible when all sides are reasonable.

Guest 2smart4u

You right wingers . . . it's never about content or reality, just one snotty remark after another. President Obama has and always has had a stable family life. When he was very young, he used drugs as a youth. He was never an addict, and there's no reason to think it was habitual. Bob Dylan is a great artist but has been a heroin addict. There's a huge difference. Any attempt to compare the two only betrays that you're not merely biased here; your rational brain isn't functioning on this subject. It's called blind hatred for a reason.

Or consider Dylan's song lyrics. OK, so he wrote a song and became a Christian. So what? If it meant something to him, great. If he straightened out his life and ended his addiction, great. But to suggest that it proves anything about atheists or Christians - come on.

It would be so nice to have real discussions on this forum. That's only possible when all sides are reasonable.

You're absolutely right. But it's really impossible with the far left ideological loons that infect this site..

You're absolutely right. But it's really impossible with the far left ideological loons that infect this site..

Well, you should try it once and see what happens. Your inanity and vacuousness wore thin years ago.

Guest 2smart4u

Well, you should try it once and see what happens. Your inanity and vacuousness wore thin years ago.

"Inanity and vacuousness" ? Really. The only people who use words like inanity and vacuousness are generally insecure and embarrassed over their lack of education. Did I nail it?

"Inanity and vacuousness" ? Really. The only people who use words like inanity and vacuousness are generally insecure and embarrassed over their lack of education. Did I nail it?

OMG! You nailed it, alright. You're projecting your insecurity onto others. This is a well-known psychological phenomenon in which a person "unconsciously rejects his or her unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world." It's a defense mechanism, a way for you to deal with a world you don't understand and therefore are angry about. How do I know? It's obvious from what you write and how you write it. Everyone who doesn't agree with you is a "loony" or some other demeaning term. Obama is an alien.

If you knew how to use your computer and the internet, you could have looked up the words. But since you didn't know what they meant, you projected your insecurity and lack of knowledge onto the person who wrote them. That way you can deal with the world and be comfortable.

Problem is, your projection isn't real. It's only in your head. It's your imagination, and that's all it is. The same way as you deal with politics and religion and everything else.

Yes, you nailed it. You nailed yourself.

Guest 2smart4u

OMG! You nailed it, alright. You're projecting your insecurity onto others. This is a well-known psychological phenomenon in which a person "unconsciously rejects his or her unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world." It's a defense mechanism, a way for you to deal with a world you don't understand and therefore are angry about. How do I know? It's obvious from what you write and how you write it. Everyone who doesn't agree with you is a "loony" or some other demeaning term. Obama is an alien.

If you knew how to use your computer and the internet, you could have looked up the words. But since you didn't know what they meant, you projected your insecurity and lack of knowledge onto the person who wrote them. That way you can deal with the world and be comfortable.

Problem is, your projection isn't real. It's only in your head. It's your imagination, and that's all it is. The same way as you deal with politics and religion and everything else.

Yes, you nailed it. You nailed yourself.

LOL. Your post tells me I did nail it. I'm curious as to why you threw in the sentence "Obama is an alien". While zerO is many things; socialist, inept,

incompetent, liar, con man and unqualified, he is not an alien. Unless you're saying he was born in Indonesia. Maybe you were just projecting your innermost fears and regrets that you voted for this POS.

You just did it again, 2dim. The characterizing feature of psychological projection is that if an unsavory quality, practice or behavior is pointed out to you, you throw it right back at the person who pointed it out. That's why no one can have a meaningful discussion with you. No matter how ridiculous or nasty you are, it's always the other person who is being ridiculous and nasty. And the content gets lost because you're only interested in projecting away your own insecurities. Take your chosen SN, "2smart4u." You're a classic but not in the way you think.

LOL. Your post tells me I did nail it. I'm curious as to why you threw in the sentence "Obama is an alien". While zerO is many things; socialist, inept,

incompetent, liar, con man and unqualified, he is not an alien. Unless you're saying he was born in Indonesia. Maybe you were just projecting your innermost fears and regrets that you voted for this POS.

Another feature of psychological projection is that the person doing it uses words in a way that has nothing to do with their meaning. In this case, the statement "Obama is an alien" would be a projection only if I was insecure or defensive about maybe being an alien myself. The reasonable person doesn't need me to tell her that the correct categorization of the statement is that it is a literary caricature of your irresponsible name-calling of the President of the United States.

You use words just to use them. They have nothing to do with reality. You've built a little cocoon of ignorance, and will defend it against any and all attack. And you call yourself "2smart4u" because no one has ever gotten you to change your mind about anything.

I wouldn't care, except for the fact that you vote. Do all the damage you like to yourself, but I have a problem when you take the whole country down with you.

Guest Guest

Another feature of psychological projection is that the person doing it uses words in a way that has nothing to do with their meaning. In this case, the statement "Obama is an alien" would be a projection only if I was insecure or defensive about maybe being an alien myself. The reasonable person doesn't need me to tell her that the correct categorization of the statement is that it is a literary caricature of your irresponsible name-calling of the President of the United States.

You use words just to use them. They have nothing to do with reality. You've built a little cocoon of ignorance, and will defend it against any and all attack. And you call yourself "2smart4u" because no one has ever gotten you to change your mind about anything.

I wouldn't care, except for the fact that you vote. Do all the damage you like to yourself, but I have a problem when you take the whole country down with you.

I think you're projecting the negative side effects of Kool-Aid.