KEARNY EDUCATION IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES

Guest Karla

WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

I heard the Superintendent is getting fired for no reason???

***Janitor working in our schools has a criminal record( 2 drug arrests and DUI), and his brother is one of the Board members.****

How does this even happen, somone please explain this to me!

Just read this in the Observer front page,"Who'll be next in line?" on the bottom of the page.

Fire Superintendent for no reason $500,000+ Tax Dollars

Hire Investigator for a witch hunt to try and find something wrong $100,000+

Watching our most uneducated elected board members make a fool of themselves by wasting tax dollars Priceless!!!

When are the people of Kearny NJ

going to wake up and realize that Mc Donald is costing us tax payers a lot of money and playing with our Childrens education. The firing of our superintendent was a pay back for the firing of one B.O.E. members brother. Parents must get together and go to the next B.O.E. meeting and ask her to resign,move, go away and take her big mouth puppeteer husband with her. As per the janitor he also was investigated for hitting another janitor and nothing was done because his useless brother is a B.O.E. Member.WAKE UP PEOPLE TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE AT B.O.E. BEFORE IT'S TO LATE. OUR CHILDREN HAVE SUFFERED ENOUGH

Guest CORRUPTION AT BOE

Disgusting, I bet the Janitor gets his job back, any takers?

OH, THAT IS IN THE WORKS ALREADY. AND I BET THEY GIVE HIM RETRO PAY TOO. THE THING IS HE WAS NEVER APPROVED TO WORK BY THE STATE SO THE STATE HAS NO RECORD OF HIM EVER WORKING IN KEARNY. I THINK THE TAXPAYERS SHOULD SUE HIM FOR ALL THE MONEY HE RECEIVED ILLEGALLY DURING HIS UNAUTHORIZED TIME WORKING IN KEARNY PUBLIC SCHOOLS. HIS BOE MEMBER BROTHER SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED AND FORCED TO BE REMOVED FROM THE BOARD FOR BEING A SEATED MEMBER WHILE HE KNEW HIS BROTHER WAS NOT ALLOWED TO WORK FOR THE SCHOOL SYSTEM.

Not only are the children getting screwed ,the teachers are getting screwed also. They are the ones holding that place together.

No support from above, just more and more work and very little increases' .Terrible......

Guest Accounting 101

Here is a great idea so tax payers don't keep getting ripped off:

Sue the Doran guy (maintenance worker who illegally has been working in Kearny schools for 10 years)

10 years times an average salary of $55,000 a year = $550,000 super contract paid off and problem solved with no tax dollars.

Since he is the reason the Super is getting released the least that can be done is get his back salary which he should have never been entitled to back and use those funds to help with the boards money woes !!

We still lose over $200,000 in benefits paid to someone who was not entitled to them but this does solve McDonald dilemma in coming up with the money to get rid of the Super. She let's all know how tight she is with money, so now maybe she would not have to waste the money she approved for an investigator to investigate something that might need investigating and if the investigation turns up nothing we still are getting rid of the Super. :blink:

• 4 months later...
Guest KayTee 369

Come on everyone. You really dont get it. The maintenace man you speak about was working there before his brother got elected. Has anyone asked themselves why this this employees criminal clearence from when he was hired wasnt done? Or was it? This story smells to the high heavens! I understand the individual has had the charges expunged. Well if he supposedly knew it was a problem why didnt he get it expunged while he worked for the ten years before some one discovered his prints werent on file. I apologize to anyone wh is offended by what I am about to say but the side that was coming after him had policemen involved and had access topolice records. Doesnt anyone find thia a bit strange or awfully coincedental? Also from what I have read the chareges in question were from when this man was a 18 and 19 year old kid. He is a family man with a wife and children. Do you really think he would blatenly try to get away with not getting fingerprinted? It makes no sence all he had to do was get the charges expunged and then go for the fingerprinting. Also during this stretch of time he was working about 9 years nobody questioned anything? So obviously he did not have any problem on the job. Sorry but I smell a rat. Feeling between the two factions on this BOE seem to be very personal and deep. I think it sounds like the worker in question could have been set up. If you listen enough you know the cops can cause you a lot of trouble and public embarressment and when they come up wrong an apology is not pasted on page one of your local paper. I think like anyone else he deserves due process, which it seems he has never been afforded this basic constitutional right. Just giulty your fired? He should fight it. I kno when i went to work and ended up working in a school and then management and finally to my dream job, i dont think i shared a lot of my stupid mistakes I made when I was 18. God we all made poor choices and So do our kids, shouldnt there be a statue of limitations on stupid kid stuff. I hope this family man who i hear is one of the best maintenance workers in the district and is also an electrician will get his chance for due process before its all over! I say to all elected officials you really need to draw a line when it comes to peoples jobs. What if you are wrong dont have all the facts and ruin this mans chances of working in schools in the future? Do any of you think about those things and how do you lay your head down a night knowing you caused some one to loose their job without going through the proper fact finding and stripping away due process. You cant even suspend a child from school without due process but you fire an employee! It doesnt seem right it sounds vendictive, When will this ever end. BOE members need to do real soul searching . How sad because all of this turmoil prevents educators from doing the job they were hired for. It causes fear and distension.if you have do make tough choices like this it has to be done right for everones sake!

Guest have another drink

Come on everyone. You really dont get it. The maintenace man you speak about was working there before his brother got elected. Has anyone asked themselves why this this employees criminal clearence from when he was hired wasnt done? Or was it? This story smells to the high heavens! I understand the individual has had the charges expunged. Well if he supposedly knew it was a problem why didnt he get it expunged while he worked for the ten years before some one discovered his prints werent on file. I apologize to anyone wh is offended by what I am about to say but the side that was coming after him had policemen involved and had access topolice records. Doesnt anyone find thia a bit strange or awfully coincedental? Also from what I have read the chareges in question were from when this man was a 18 and 19 year old kid. He is a family man with a wife and children. Do you really think he would blatenly try to get away with not getting fingerprinted? It makes no sence all he had to do was get the charges expunged and then go for the fingerprinting. Also during this stretch of time he was working about 9 years nobody questioned anything? So obviously he did not have any problem on the job. Sorry but I smell a rat. Feeling between the two factions on this BOE seem to be very personal and deep. I think it sounds like the worker in question could have been set up. If you listen enough you know the cops can cause you a lot of trouble and public embarressment and when they come up wrong an apology is not pasted on page one of your local paper. I think like anyone else he deserves due process, which it seems he has never been afforded this basic constitutional right. Just giulty your fired? He should fight it. I kno when i went to work and ended up working in a school and then management and finally to my dream job, i dont think i shared a lot of my stupid mistakes I made when I was 18. God we all made poor choices and So do our kids, shouldnt there be a statue of limitations on stupid kid stuff. I hope this family man who i hear is one of the best maintenance workers in the district and is also an electrician will get his chance for due process before its all over! I say to all elected officials you really need to draw a line when it comes to peoples jobs. What if you are wrong dont have all the facts and ruin this mans chances of working in schools in the future? Do any of you think about those things and how do you lay your head down a night knowing you caused some one to loose their job without going through the proper fact finding and stripping away due process. You cant even suspend a child from school without due process but you fire an employee! It doesnt seem right it sounds vendictive, When will this ever end. BOE members need to do real soul searching . How sad because all of this turmoil prevents educators from doing the job they were hired for. It causes fear and distension.if you have do make tough choices like this it has to be done right for everones sake!

Wow, that was inspirational. 2:53 am.............Can anyone say LAST CALL !!!!! :blink:

Guest Kay Tee 369

Thats all you could come up with? It's called last break on the night shift at the ER! I guess if some one disagrees with you or sees things from a different perspective they must be drinking? Not surprised. That attitude goes along with denying due process. It wasn't meant to be inspirational just voicing an opinion. Your reply just reaffirms what I was saying. My my so angry...

Guest Dr. Do Right

Thats all you could come up with? It's called last break on the night shift at the ER! I guess if some one disagrees with you or sees things from a different perspective they must be drinking? Not surprised. That attitude goes along with denying due process. It wasn't meant to be inspirational just voicing an opinion. Your reply just reaffirms what I was saying. My my so angry...

Maybe if your "opinion" was not so one sided you would be more believable. Most hardworking people who work in understaffed, busy ER's don't have time for breaks, but yet you seem to have spent a long time writing your non-factual, accusational, theory about what happened. Writing a long winded opinion to a situation which obviously you are in contact with or related to the individual from either your smart phone or a Hospital computer at 3 am would be the last thing someone would be doing.

You are obviously writing to support this person, but yet the questions you ask do nothing but incriminate the individual further:

? #1- why wasn't criminal clearance done when hired?

answer- the individual has the burden to go get fingerprinted and background checked, so why wasn't this done you ask?, because the individual had a record and would not have passed the background check, therefore "Could Not" be hired.

Statement #1, "story smells to the high heavens", I agree with you 100%.

?#2- great question, why did he not get expunged? maybe you should ask him.

Statement 2- accusation of "foul" play because policemen are involved, total BS, It's called OPRA, (open public records act) you can get access for your own review if you like. So, No its not strange or coincidental.

Note- for your own knowledge, getting charges expunged "Does Not" guarantee approval for employment, it does not make what you did "disappear", thats like saying you committed murder, but if I get it expunged I did not commit murder. Not the case, especially for employment at Boards of Education.

Your comment about 18, 19 years old, last time I checked that is an Adult, not different if the person was 30, 40 or 50, crime are not allowed or not allowed based on your age, a crime is a crime. The only Rat I smell is the one who tried to circumvent the system to gain employment.

I thank the people who stepped up and removed a multiple convicted criminal from our schools and our kids, the ones who should not be able to put their heads on a pillow at night are the people who Allowed this to happen originally and turned their heads the other way with no consideration to the law or our school children.

Thank you for your ER service.

Guest concern parent

The text was written 3:53 not 2:53. I hope your're not a BOE Member? They can't work with numbers either.

They insult people when they have nothing else to say. They become angry when people disagree.

Guest Kay Tee 369

Yea i guess so. Lol. First I must be drinking because I dare disagree. Now Im slacking at my job and nothing I say could possibly be believable because I disagree. OMG! No one could be set up in Kearny! Just not possible. Everything is on the up and up here in OZ. If you believe that I have a big bridge to sell you that can never be closed because of some ones political agenda!

Lets thank them for their service as a past BOE member. KPD? or maybe both?

Guest "Disconcerted "

Wow! Now I am really worried living here! Hey all you school employees better watch out! If you made a mistake with the law and you were a dumb kid but a legal adult. If you ever had a prior charge and had it expunged and now you are 45 or 50 with families, paying your taxes, and doing a great job watch out for those OPRA requests! We have to watch out no one looses our finger printing from years back! If you don't know already you should know they changed some of the criteria in the last several years. Just saying if you passed 10 years ago and they loose your approval and send you again you may not pass! Food for thought?

Hey "Dr. Do Right". Are you one of those self appointed moral majority people? Sure sounds it. I thought they died with Jerry Falwell back in 2007? I guess his following from his mega church in ironically enough Lynchburg Va. Went under ground and moved north!

Ah "Let he without sin cast the first stone!

Guest Guest

There seems to be an individual here who has knowledge of everything! I am a member of NJEA and work in a school district that seems to run much smoother than Kearny. I can tell without a doubt that it is the employers responsibility to ensure that the individuals hired go for fingerprinting. If they dont follow through it is on the district. Most districts wont even let you work until you get clearence. A district that runs smoothly wouldn't wait for the employee for nine years! No one was watching the store for 9 years?! That's scarey!

During this time there were numerous board members, at least three supers that I can recall. Now, in comes new super who does not get full support of the board and within a few months an employee gets called. " Oh by the way you have no finger prints on file. Now please don't think you were singled out because your boe brother didnt vote for the right guy. You went for finger printing 9 years ago? Gee the clearence is no where to be found."

Oh and this just happened to be within the same time frame that the state switched finger printing companies and all records more than five years old are no longer available! How do I know this because NJEA was made aware of it!

I admit there are two sides to every story. However, if some ones thinking is that this situation appears totally squeaky clean of dirty politics and thinks that this situation doesn't appear questionable then they are either involved or very nieve!

Fyi administration don't listen to "Dr. Do Right" because he or she is definitely wrong about one thing! it's your job to see that employees are cleared before they work! If something were to happen, I doubt a parent wants to hear "Well we sent the teacher for finger printing but they never went! Its not our fault!" Most school districts are even creating policy to make unpaid people such as volunteers and student teachers get finger printed. If they don't want to pay for it they don't volunteer and go else where to student teach!

I agree with "Disconcerted" on at least one thing. If I were a district employee I would be in my personnel file making sure my finger printing clearence was there. Even if for no other reason then not having to go again and pay $75 bucks when you went already! Ask for a copy if you don't already have one. Also, for future employees, the district is supposed to copy the clearence and give you back the original. They are under no circumstances to keep the original and under no circumstances should you loose that clearence. Put it in a safety deposit box or some very safe place so you know where it is! This is just good advice from someone who has been around long enough to know things can disappear if some one with access wants it to. It is always best to look out for yourself and not rely on the system! The system always has kinks even without malice.

Guest Calling All Hypocrites

Wow! Now I am really worried living here! Hey all you school employees better watch out! If you made a mistake with the law and you were a dumb kid but a legal adult. If you ever had a prior charge and had it expunged and now you are 45 or 50 with families, paying your taxes, and doing a great job watch out for those OPRA requests! We have to watch out no one looses our finger printing from years back! If you don't know already you should know they changed some of the criteria in the last several years. Just saying if you passed 10 years ago and they loose your approval and send you again you may not pass! Food for thought?

Hey "Dr. Do Right". Are you one of those self appointed moral majority people? Sure sounds it. I thought they died with Jerry Falwell back in 2007? I guess his following from his mega church in ironically enough Lynchburg Va. Went under ground and moved north!

Ah "Let he without sin cast the first stone!

Great post. And then there's always ..................."People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Guest Right on Point

It's nice to know that the same people who outed this employee have nothing but time to sit here and discuss his employment with the district like it never happened Fact is this illegally fired employee DID get his fingerprints done and has proof of it. The state screwed up not HIM. Check your facts JACKASS!!!! Or should I say BOB

Guest Research First

Hey "Dr. Do Right"

If you are going to post information you should get your facts straight!

Murder is not an expungable crime, Disorderly Person minor drug charge is. If the charge is eligible for expungement and it gets approved by a judge, the arresting jurisdiction gets notice of the expungement and are forbidden by law to release that information. Go ask a criminal attorney who charges $5k to do it. iI work for one! Lol

At least do some research before you post information you obviously think you know something about. "When an order for expungement is granted, the arrest, conviction, or dismissal and any related proceedings are considered not to have occurred."

(definition in law library look it up) The purpose of expungement is to give a person a "fresh start." After a record is expunged it is only available to judges and in certain situations to legal enforcemnt and correctional institutions. Hmmm....you have to wonder?

Of course if the legal jurisdiction ignores the notice of no release that is a different situation. Now let's think a minute. Who would be in a position to be privy to that info and release it to an employer? Hmmm....you have to wonder.

If the district lost fingerprint clearence or it disapeared or even if they never sent the man they appointed him and renewed him many many times. He is absolutely an employee! I agree with previous post. If I were an employee in this district I would be checking my personnel file. Anyone can become a victim of political tyranny.

Remember: "....you will be judged by the same standard you apply." Maybe your life is without error but most of us not that lucky!

Guest Really?

Note- for your own knowledge, getting charges expunged "Does Not" guarantee approval for employment, it does not make what you did "disappear", thats like saying you committed murder, but if I get it expunged I did not commit murder. Not the case, especially for employment at Boards of Education.

Seems to work for police officers.

Guest Fact, not BS

It's nice to know that the same people who outed this employee have nothing but time to sit here and discuss his employment with the district like it never happened Fact is this illegally fired employee DID get his fingerprints done and has proof of it. The state screwed up not HIM. Check your facts JACKASS!!!! Or should I say BOB

Ok Mr. Donkey, constantly pass blame and with total paranoid thoughts cast anger at people who, you chose to wage war with and than want to accuse them when something hits you square on the chin. Look no further than yourself and your family, oh and don't forget your good secretary at the boe who helped make your employment possible. You want to know where your prints went ask her, you want to know where your approval or denial of employment from the State went , ask her, but don't blame people who 10 years later had nothing to do with this.

Guest KOTW reader

Great post. And then there's always ..................."People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Here is a clip from the The Observer from January '14, as reported by the observer, nobody else

Correspondence obtained by The Observer via an OPRA request to the DOE shows that Carl Carabelli, manager of the Criminal Review Unit, wrote to Ferraro on Sept. 6, 2013, that Brian Doran had a criminal record – two arrests in Kearny dating from October 1993 and from June 1996 and another arrest in Clifton dating from May 1995, all resulting in guilty outcomes which, according to Carabelli, render Doran “permanently disqualified or ineligible for employment … with any public school or educational facility….”