Good Letter

Guest tax payer

Guest Guest 99

The article and the numbers quoted in it and other posts are in reference to "language most spoken at home". Why, if not racist, is a former candidate for mayor so concerned that he says, " It is nuts that English is almost a second language in our city (it's a town, Hal)". :lol:

Guest Guest
The article and the numbers quoted in it and other posts are in reference to "language most spoken at home". Why, if not racist, is a former candidate for mayor so concerned that he says, " It is nuts that English is almost a second language in our city (it's a town, Hal)". :lol:

I know it's the language spoken at home, but do you really believe that. take a walk through and around the high school. Students that can speak perfect english are speaking spanish to each other. I have mo knowledge of who you mean by a former candidate, nor who Hal is. Just know the facts, Kearny is mostly Hispanic, and then Portuguese. Why does everybody keep wanting to deny this fact, I don't understand.

Guest Guest
It really isn't the race card, it's a fact. English is not the first language spoken in Kearny, how is that racist. That is a fact. If your opinion is you do not mind living where english isn't the first language, that's ok, if you do mind, you move. that isn't racism that an opinion and a right to which one is entitled.

when did the law go into the constitution that people have to speak english?

it was never voted on by the president, the houses of congress, and then 2/3 of the states.

If it is not a federal law that all people of the US have to speak english then why would all people in kearny have too.

also you might know that most of the people that speak other languages first are immigrants, and dont argue that they have been here for long enough b/c what about a woman who moves here when shes 50 what would she really need english for her family is here and she probably won't work.

now instead of complaining about this why not volunteer to teach a class to people to learn english as a second language.

Remember that this country is for all people not just ones that speak english, damn just to think that the one time that congress went to vote on a official language it wasnt even english being that they chose german instead.

Ich Bein Ein Kearnian.

Guest Guest Kerry
It really isn't the race card, it's a fact. English is not the first language spoken in Kearny, how is that racist. That is a fact.  If your opinion is you do not mind living where english isn't the first language, that's ok, if you do mind, you move. that isn't racism that an opinion and a right to which one is entitled.

it was never voted on by the president, the houses of congress, and then 2/3 of the states.

If it is not a federal law that all people of the US have to speak english then why would all people in kearny have too.

also you might know that most of the people that speak other languages first are immigrants, and dont argue that they have been here for long enough b/c what about a woman who moves here when shes 50 what would she really need english for her family is here and she probably won't work.

now instead of complaining about this why not volunteer to teach a class to people to learn english as a second language.

Remember that this country is for all people not just ones that speak english, damn just to think that the one time that congress went to vote on a official language it wasnt even english being that they chose german instead.

Ich Bein Ein Kearnian.

You're correct there is no law saying you must speak english. Shame on the legislators for that who let the whole thing get so far away from them, and instead started printing everything in spanish. No other language, just spanish, no other foreign language, just spanish. I have never figured that one out, now that seems racist to other immigrants who don't speak english. Besides, you missed the point being there is nothing wrong with english being the second langauge spoken in the homes in Kearny, it's the constant denial of that fact by residents who don't want to believe it. That's the part I don't understand. every time this fact it is brought up, someone cries racist. Yeah, like some people want to believe what's on the avenue in late evenings doesnt live in Kearny. Right Go figure.My grandmother was german she would have been thrilled!

Guest StudiesandObservations
[You're correct there is no law saying you must speak english. Shame on the legislators for that who let the whole thing get so far away from them, and instead started printing everything in spanish. No other language, just spanish, no other foreign language, just spanish.

The current Driver's test in NJ is, IIRC given in 34 different languages ot dialects. When it comes to non-english speakers, people who speak spanish are the clear majority. This particular area has a large Spanish-speaking population, which is WHY you see billboards and signs in Spanish, there are other areas in NJ, where you will see signs in such languages as Hindi, Arabic, Mandarin, and Farsi. Try doing your homework before making assumptions.

Some people just don't understand..how is it to be racist if I am sticking up for other minorities. I said it is not fair that everything in this country is printed in spanish and english (signs in bathrooms,airports, on the streets and believe it or not in public buildings and law enforcement buildings) Please don't tell me about one drivers license test. How about every other thing in America. Is it fair to the Italians, the German, the Polish, the Russians..etc, etc. should I go on or do you now understand. When did we, and I figure some bleeding heart liberal decide that we should cater to only 1 minority. If you choose to not understand this post then stick your head back in the ground. Because it proves that either you do not want to believe it or have spanish in your background or family and don't care about the rest of the immigrants. So it is you who is being racist not me, I care about all minorities!!

Guest Guest Kerry
[You're correct there is no law saying you must speak english. Shame on the legislators for that who let the whole thing get so far away from them, and instead started printing everything in spanish. No other language, just spanish, no other  foreign language, just spanish.

The current Driver's test in NJ is, IIRC given in 34 different languages ot dialects. When it comes to non-english speakers, people who speak spanish are the clear majority. This particular area has a large Spanish-speaking population, which is WHY you see billboards and signs in Spanish, there are other areas in NJ, where you will see signs in such languages as Hindi, Arabic, Mandarin, and Farsi. Try doing your homework before making assumptions.

Sorry, you are correct I forgot about the driver's license test being in so many other languages. It is a safe suumption that enabled the 9/11 terrorists to get their licenses.

Guest thankyou
It really isn't the race card, it's a fact. English is not the first language spoken in Kearny, how is that racist. That is a fact.  If your opinion is you do not mind living where english isn't the first language, that's ok, if you do mind, you move. that isn't racism that an opinion and a right to which one is entitled.

Ich Bein Ein Kearnian.

We won independance from England a long time ago. Freedom of Speach didn't exist prior to our independance. Spanish=Spain, Polish=Poland, German=Germany, English=England and USA=Freedom of Speach!! If somebody objects to foreign languages in public schools then don't send them there. There is another option.

Guest StudiesandObservations
Sorry, you are correct I forgot about the driver's license test being in so many other languages. It is a safe suumption that enabled the 9/11 terrorists to get their licenses.

Wrong again, The investigation has shown that all of the individuals involved in the 9/11 attacks were fluent in English.

Guest Guest Kerry

Sorry, you are correct I forgot about the driver's license test being in so many other languages. It is a safe suumption that enabled the 9/11 terrorists to get  their licenses.

Wrong again, The investigation has shown that all of the individuals involved in the 9/11 attacks were fluent in English.

Please cite your authority for this statement. I said mine was an assumption, you state your information as as a fact. Where may I confirm that fact. Thank you Mr. OSo Familiar. I am not so arrogant as to say my assumption may be incorrect.

Guest foundaliberal
Some people just don't understand..how is it to be racist if I am sticking up for other minorities. I said it is not fair that everything in this country is printed in spanish and english (signs in bathrooms,airports, on the streets and believe it or not in public buildings and law enforcement buildings) Please don't tell me about one drivers license test. How about every other thing in America. Is it fair to the Italians, the German, the Polish, the Russians..etc, etc. should I go on or do you now understand. When did we, and I figure some bleeding heart liberal decide that we should cater to only 1 minority. If you choose to not understand this post then stick your head back in the ground. Because it proves that either you do not want to believe it or have spanish in your background or family and don't care about the rest of the immigrants. So it is you who is being racist not me, I care about all minorities!!

The Constitution is conservative. Change is liberal. No national language is set forth by the Constitution. The establishment of a national language would be liberal.

Sorry, you are correct I forgot about the driver's license test being in so many other languages. It is a safe suumption that enabled the 9/11 terrorists to get  their licenses.

fluent? are you sure about that? maybe you want to give your source for that information.

Guest Guest Kerry

Please cite your authority for this statement. I said mine was an assumption, you state your information as as a fact. Where may I confirm that fact. Thank you Mr. OSo Familiar. I am not so arrogant as to say my assumption may be incorrect.

Still waiting for your answer.

Guest Guest
Re-read my post it says the letter is "informative" and it is and yes, based on my previous post, I do believe it. Time will tell.

Well, time has told.

If you were at last nights town council meeting, you would have roared as "Chicken Little" tried to justify his letter during a public confrontation with the Mayor and numerous council members. Seems he quoted the wrong financial report (although he wouldn't admit it) in calculating town debt. His report includes BOE debt, costs for the Water Dept. which is self-sustaining, and the KMUA, an autonomouis agency which pays for itself through sewage levies on South Kearny businesses.

Accusations of political grandstanding flew from the Second Ward, as the Third Ward insisted on an explanation of the "bonding scheme" quoted in the letter. In an effort to cover his tracks, Mangin constantly interrupted other council members as they spoke, but demanded that he not be stopped during feeble attempts to explain away his statements.

No, the sky is not falling,"Chicken". It may not be all sunshine and roses, but we will survive.

I read the article about Kearny's debt and it doesn't say anything about Mr. Mangin quoting the wrong report. It says both are right but Mr. Manghin says he is asking why the debt went up so high in his figures. Well I have a question for you Mr. Mangin. Why did the debt stay the same in the mayor's figures? You say there are 2 ways to define debt. Fine, but why did yours go up and the mayor's stay the same? Explain that and maybe more people will understand what you're talking about. Either way I give you credit for at least speaking up.

Re-read my post it says the letter is "informative" and it is and yes, based on my previous post, I do believe it. Time will tell.

Well, time has told.

If you were at last nights town council meeting, you would have roared as "Chicken Little" tried to justify his letter during a public confrontation with the Mayor and numerous council members. Seems he quoted the wrong financial report (although he wouldn't admit it) in calculating town debt. His report includes BOE debt, costs for the Water Dept. which is self-sustaining, and the KMUA, an autonomouis agency which pays for itself through sewage levies on South Kearny businesses.

Accusations of political grandstanding flew from the Second Ward, as the Third Ward insisted on an explanation of the "bonding scheme" quoted in the letter. In an effort to cover his tracks, Mangin constantly interrupted other council members as they spoke, but demanded that he not be stopped during feeble attempts to explain away his statements.

No, the sky is not falling,"Chicken". It may not be all sunshine and roses, but we will survive.

I read the article about Kearny's debt and it doesn't say anything about Mr. Mangin quoting the wrong report. It says both are right but Mr. Manghin says he is asking why the debt went up so high in his figures. Well I have a question for you Mr. Mangin. Why did the debt stay the same in the mayor's figures? You say there are 2 ways to define debt. Fine, but why did yours go up and the mayor's stay the same? Explain that and maybe more people will understand what you're talking about. Either way I give you credit for at least speaking up.

This is an excellent question. According to the article Mayor Santos says we had a decrease in net debt. That's absolutely ridiculous! How can that be when we took out an $11 million loan for sewer separation, $20.3 bond million for sewer separation, DPW equipment, police communication system, re-paving Kearny Ave., etc (Ord 2002-O-64), $2.5 million bond for capital equipment (Ordinance 2002-O-10), and $1.1 million bond for capital improvements (Ord 2002-O-45). I could go on but you get the idea.

The Mayor is deliberately misleading the public. As I said in an earlier post on this subject, the State changed the definition of "debt" last year and it is this "new" definition that the Mayor conveniently quotes. In June 2001 our net debt (according to our Debt Statement) was $49,928,582. The following year it jumped to $64,506,408. The "new" definition of debt then applied and our new net debt figure is $49,577.509. The Mayor is quoted as saying, "We had a decrease in net debt" but he doesn't tell you that is because the State changed the definition of "Net Debt." Don't believe me? Click on this link for our Fiscal 2001 Net Debt. Then click on this link for Fiscal 2002 Net Debt. Then click here for Fiscal 2003 Net Debt. If you still believe the Mayor is being truthful, ask yourself this. With all we've borrowed, how did our net debt go down $15 million in one year? The Mayor still thinks Lincoln was wrong (about fooling all of the people all of the time).

With all the borrowing the Santos administration has done the people of Kearny should be insulted that he thinks we'll believe him when he says our total debt has actually gone down. This is why he focuses on his definition of debt instead of mine. I use the figure quoted in our annual audit because that calculation hasn't changed. If you look at this issue objectively you'll see just how bad this "deal" is for Kearny's taxpayers today, and for the next 20 years.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Guest Guest

Why doesn't the Mayor respond himself? Why are the other 5 (number 6 Kelly is a no show recently) not saying anything? A: Because Torres (never goes against the mayor, he is his Yes, Mayor man); Arce ( is too new to know any better and is following the Mayor off the cliff); Sherry and Pettigrew (are too busy protecting their family jobs and/or adding additional family members to the payroll despite the terrible financial picture); Doyle (has made her husband the judge so he can pad his pension and then sell her house and move to her mansion at the shore, why would she care about the increased taxes she won't be paying them); Landy (is too new to know any better and like Arce will follow the Mayor off the cliff). Kelly appears to have given up having lost his buddy Paglia to East Hanover.

The only councilperson who voices an opinion and actually tries to get to the bottom of the Mayor's rhetoric is Councilman Mangin. The Mayor has almost everyone convinced that he is doing a good job. The truth is that he has mismanaged the town's finances but keeps telling everyone that there is a surplus when there is a deficit and nobody (except Councilman Mangin) has called him on it.

Does any councilmember disagree with me? I know you are out there and reading these posts.

Archived