Town cops on B O E no conflict?

Guest Tell me

Guest Tell me

How could Kearny cops including a deputy chief being on the board while being paid by tax payers not be a conflict of interest? What happens if the officers who are on the board have to respond to a situation at one of Kearnys schools in the capacity of a law enforcement agent wouldn't that be a potential conflict especially if a situation regarding a student involved in a situation that required the cops who were on the board to make a future BOE judgement against the student or individual they may have had to deal with in a legal matter on school property? The town, school board and ultimately tax payers could be at risk for lawsuits because of this obvious conflict! Now that's a conflict not this other BS!!!!!

Guest Nah, nah, na, nah, nah

How could Kearny cops including a deputy chief being on the board while being paid by tax payers not be a conflict of interest? What happens if the officers who are on the board have to respond to a situation at one of Kearnys schools in the capacity of a law enforcement agent wouldn't that be a potential conflict especially if a situation regarding a student involved in a situation that required the cops who were on the board to make a future BOE judgement against the student or individual they may have had to deal with in a legal matter on school property? The town, school board and ultimately tax payers could be at risk for lawsuits because of this obvious conflict! Now that's a conflict not this other BS!!!!!

Not even close. If "that" situation ever happened the officers in question would have to recuse themselves from the issue.

What are we in kindergarten? Got you last.

Not even close. If "that" situation ever happened the officers in question would have to recuse themselves from the issue.

The town would still be at risk if any officers that were board members were involved in a police action at the school involving a student or a member of the school personnel!

Guest No cops on BOE

Oh ok so if Mrs Lowry was in a situation that might be a conflict regarding her retirement pay she would be able to recuse herself from that situation. Even though it is more likely a conflict would occur with a cop rather than a retired administrator with respect to her retirement pay what makes it okay for the cop? Cops should not be on the board conflict plain and simple!

Oh ok so if Mrs Lowry was in a situation that might be a conflict regarding her retirement pay she would be able to recuse herself from that situation. Even though it is more likely a conflict would occur with a cop rather than a retired administrator with respect to her retirement pay what makes it okay for the cop? Cops should not be on the board conflict plain and simple!

Town cops should not be on the BOE in the town they work for its plain to see the conflicts that could arise. Vote them all off next November!

Guest Way Off Point

You make no argument. Not to mention no sense. Lowry's issue has nothing to do with recusing herself from a vote which is conflicting with her retirement pay. It is about NJ State Law, which does not allow her to be a Board member while still having a financial interest with the Board of Ed. Period.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Conflict
You make no argument. Not to mention no sense. Lowry's issue has nothing to do with recusing herself from a vote which is conflicting with her retirement pay. It is about NJ State Law, which does not allow her to be a Board member while still having a financial interest with the Board of Ed. Period.
No what makes no sense is having two town cops on the B.O.E. total conflict. Not to mention one is the others boss yea no conflict or undue influence on voting policy on that one! Yea I could see myself talking to my boss on my real job if we were both on the board. It might sound something like this, "listen I don't agree with you and I'm voting against you on this one but I'll see ya Monday morning and everything will be OK right? Right boss, boss, boss everything is separate right, boss, boss? Oh shit, can I change my vote"?

Guest Don't throw stones

It's a "total conflict" in your mind only. Police officers and firemen can serve on boards of education. If you're collecting a paycheck from the board of education, or if you sue the board of education, then you're PROHIBITED from serving on the board of education. That's why Lowry loses.

As to two police officers serving at the same time, I'm sure they can handle it. They are members of unions and lifelong Kearny residents who freely express their opinions, even ones you don't like.

It's a small town. Work and family relatiionships overlap. We had two Cifelli cousins on the Kearny Council at the same time, Laura Pettigrew and Barbara Sherry. The Mayor works for the County. The County Freeholder works for the Mayor of Harrison.

No what makes no sense is having two town cops on the B.O.E. total conflict. Not to mention one is the others boss yea no conflict or undue influence on voting policy on that one! Yea I could see myself talking to my boss on my real job if we were both on the board. It might sound something like this, "listen I don't agree with you and I'm voting against you on this one but I'll see ya Monday morning and everything will be OK right? Right boss, boss, boss everything is separate right, boss, boss? Oh shit, can I change my vote"?
Hmmm never thought about it that way!

Guest Do as I say, not as I do

Seems to me that the 2 board members who have wives working for the BOE also have a financial interest. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT.

When are you ignorant people going to accept that the Police can do whatever the **** they want and you have no control over that. Just shut up, pay your taxes for your $10 million fire department and useless B.O.E. Every municipality in the state are going to see a sharp tax increase to pay for Sandy in adition to rising property taxes to pay for out of control salaries and benefits of no work municipal employees. There isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it because of the politicians YOU elected.

Thank the world that I am blessed with wealth so I pay lower taxes than 99% of the suckers that go to work everyday. You are never going to get it that your your voices amount to nothing. Look what happened when the unions protested and cried in Trenton. It was a waste of time because the union leaders sold out the workers. The union leaders are part of the 1% rich and the working guy still wants to give them more money. This country needs to an educational system overhual ASAP because when people with G.E.D. educations are on top on the pecking order on the town payroll in terms of salaries it's a disgrace. That's my opinion.

Guest Kearnyite

Ok, I hear ya, but what about the Board member who has a sister and 3 nieces that work for the BOE? Huh? In most small towns they like that people who work for the town, live in the town, contribute to the town, pay taxes in the town, spend money at local businesses, hire local people to work on their homes and businesses, contribute to every sport, every church, know each others' children, etc., etc. BUT, in this town, with this web site, any local person who comes to work and give back to their hometown is looked upon like a leach! I had to laugh at the post that said, "Didn't we have any local person to take the job as KHS principal? Yeah, we did. But unfortunately in today's environment our local leaders and talented young people are better off going to other towns to work, and are taking their talents elsewear AND taking their money and families with them. Just let someone from Kearny try to get a job in Brick or Toms River, No, No, No. They hire their own. Anyone we hire from out of town, takes their money out of Town. If all is equal, we should hire from within, husbands, wives, cousins, in-laws. Doesn't matter. They are the ones that will care for our children and the future of Kearny.

Guest Wondering

It's a "total conflict" in your mind only. Police officers and firemen can serve on boards of education. If you're collecting a paycheck from the board of education, or if you sue the board of education, then you're PROHIBITED from serving on the board of education. That's why Lowry loses.

As to two police officers serving at the same time, I'm sure they can handle it. They are members of unions and lifelong Kearny residents who freely express their opinions, even ones you don't like.

It's a small town. Work and family relatiionships overlap. We had two Cifelli cousins on the Kearny Council at the same time, Laura Pettigrew and Barbara Sherry. The Mayor works for the County. The County Freeholder works for the Mayor of Harrison.

Yes, inconsistent if not outright hypocritcal. How can the Cifellis publicly throw stones from the audience at the two police officers who are members of the Board of Education, at Monday night's meeting, when the Cifellis have led lives of government conflicts and they continue to benefit from those conflicts???

It's a "total conflict" in your mind only. Police officers and firemen can serve on boards of education. If you're collecting a paycheck from the board of education, or if you sue the board of education, then you're PROHIBITED from serving on the board of education. That's why Lowry loses. As to two police officers serving at the same time, I'm sure they can handle it. They are members of unions and lifelong Kearny residents who freely express their opinions, even ones you don't like. It's a small town. Work and family relatiionships overlap. We had two Cifelli cousins on the Kearny Council at the same time, Laura Pettigrew and Barbara Sherry. The Mayor works for the County. The County Freeholder works for the Mayor of Harrison.
Was either Pettigrew or Sherry one or the others direct supervisor? I don't think so. So that's the conflict plain and simple King is Plaugics boss they should not be on the board!

When are you ignorant people going to accept that the Police can do whatever the **** they want and you have no control over that. Just shut up, pay your taxes for your $10 million fire department and useless B.O.E. Every municipality in the state are going to see a sharp tax increase to pay for Sandy in adition to rising property taxes to pay for out of control salaries and benefits of no work municipal employees. There isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it because of the politicians YOU elected.

Thank the world that I am blessed with wealth so I pay lower taxes than 99% of the suckers that go to work everyday. You are never going to get it that your your voices amount to nothing. Look what happened when the unions protested and cried in Trenton. It was a waste of time because the union leaders sold out the workers. The union leaders are part of the 1% rich and the working guy still wants to give them more money. This country needs to an educational system overhual ASAP because when people with G.E.D. educations are on top on the pecking order on the town payroll in terms of salaries it's a disgrace. That's my opinion.

Awwww Somebody got a ticket??????

Yes, inconsistent if not outright hypocritcal. How can the Cifellis publicly throw stones from the audience at the two police officers who are members of the Board of Education, at Monday night's meeting, when the Cifellis have led lives of government conflicts and they continue to benefit from those conflicts???

I was at that board meeting and the only "Cifelli" who spoke was former Councilwoman Sherry. There were other "Cifellis" in the audience, but neither one spoke. And while it's true that Mrs. Sherry brought up the topic that "some" may think that a perceived conflict could exist by having a manager and his subordinate sit on the same board, that's not exclusively a problem of them both being police officers. That could exist with any members who work for the same "boss". In this instance the "boss" is the Town of Kearny. Linking that topic with any of the members of the "Cifelli" family serving local government - in positions they were voted into by town residents - is ridiculous and just a maneuver to confuse Town residents of conflicts that DON'T exist.

Guest Guest too

What about the Board member who has a sister and 3 nieces working for the BOE? Just sayin.

His Sister has worked for the B.O.E. 30 Years and his niece has 10 years. How about board member J.D. ?

Guest Still Wondering

Was either Pettigrew or Sherry one or the others direct supervisor? I don't think so. So that's the conflict plain and simple King is Plaugics boss they should not be on the board!

Cifelli-Pettigrew and CIfelli-Sherry are related so they always voted together. Same issue, different motivation.

Freeholder Cifelli is more of a problem. He has two salaries paid by the Town of Harrison but represents Secaucus, Kearny, East Newark as well as Harrison. How does he vote against Harrison's interests if it conflicts with Kearny? Same issue, different motivation.

Guest I was there too

I was at that board meeting and the only "Cifelli" who spoke was former Councilwoman Sherry. There were other "Cifellis" in the audience, but neither one spoke. And while it's true that Mrs. Sherry brought up the topic that "some" may think that a perceived conflict could exist by having a manager and his subordinate sit on the same board, that's not exclusively a problem of them both being police officers. That could exist with any members who work for the same "boss". In this instance the "boss" is the Town of Kearny. Linking that topic with any of the members of the "Cifelli" family serving local government - in positions they were voted into by town residents - is ridiculous and just a maneuver to confuse Town residents of conflicts that DON'T exist.

You're right Freeholder Albert Cifelli didn't speak at the meeting. He sat next to his sister Barbara Cifelli-Sherry and cousin Laura Cifelli-Pettigrew both of whom spoke (Sherry at the last meeting, Pettigrew at the prior meeting). It was either the first or second Board of Education meeting that the Freeholder has EVER attended in his 12 years as a Freeholder. He was not there to hear about the new Wi-Fi in the school buildings. He was there to be part of a lame "Cifelli power" demonstration.

Plaugic and King were elected by the residents of Kearny who knew that they were Kearny police officers. On the other hand, I doubt Kearny residents know that Freeholder Cifelli is on Mayor McDonough's payroll.

How did this thread go from the possible conflicts of KPD officers serving on the BOE to an attack on Debbie Lowry to an assault on the Ciffelli family? Sheeeesh - stick to a point please.

Guest Here's Why

Not an "assault", but the poster was pointing out facts that you appear to be very uncomfortable with. I think the reason for doing that is along the lines of, "let he who is without sin throw the first stone". The Cifellis publicly accused the two officers on the Board of Ed of having a conflict. As best as I understand the Cifelli logic, the junior officer is compromised because he responds to the senior officer. The stone was thrown. So explain to me, how does freeholder Al Cifelli vote on an issue in which Kearny has a conflict with Harrison when Al Cifelli is getting 2 pay checks from the town of Harrison?

Guest Barbara Cifelli-Sherry

I haven't been on KOTW for years. Nice to see that not much has changed.......anonymous posters who don't know their a**es from a hole in the ground spouting innuendo like it was truth. If "throwing stones" means drawing attention to PERCEIVED conflicts, then there are some boulders yet to be hurled. As for all the conflicts by which my family members "continue to benefit", please be specific, so I can proceed to expose your absolute ignorance. Thank you

Barbara Cifelli-Sherry

Edited by KOTW
Note: The poster is a guest and thus may not be Barbara Cifelli-Sherry. Registering a Member name is free of charge.

Guest Barbara Cifelli-Sherry

Not an "assault", but the poster was pointing out facts that you appear to be very uncomfortable with. I think the reason for doing that is along the lines of, "let he who is without sin throw the first stone". The Cifellis publicly accused the two officers on the Board of Ed of having a conflict. As best as I understand the Cifelli logic, the junior officer is compromised because he responds to the senior officer. The stone was thrown. So explain to me, how does freeholder Al Cifelli vote on an issue in which Kearny has a conflict with Harrison when Al Cifelli is getting 2 pay checks from the town of Harrison?

The "Cifellis" did not accuse anyone of anything. I, Barbara Cifelli-Sherry, said that while I, personally, did not construe the two officers as necessarily being conflicted, I understand that some members of the general public might perceive a conflict. Please, if you're going to relate a situation, try not to screw it up. To address your concerns regarding Freeholder Cifelli, my brother, you might want to do your homework. His certifications predate his elective office by decades....there is no conflict. And don't worry about his ability to act fairly as representative for all of his constituents-----he has this quality called integrity!