Vote Yes

Guest concerned parent

Guest Guest 99

Not at all, Jim. You just repeated what at least three of us just said. The only difference was we did it in less than two hundred words. All three of us combined that is.

yeah lets throw more money at em. Just look at the quality students this system produces. What was the schools report card these past years? How many go on to further their education? The sad thing is that the kids pay the price of a poor education. :lol:

im an example of the students from KHS. look at the post i have above to show you what the youth can accomplish. come to a show when we start throwing them and look at what the youth do. its not all sex and drugs or lets make fun of this old guy. its about learning and understanding the differences we all have and living with them. so vote yes. dont let them cut the music, arts or athletic department although they should turn the football field into the soccer field being more people would go on a friday nite to watch a soccer game then khs football lose again

chris

Not at all, Jim. You just repeated what at least three of us just said. The only difference was we did it in less than two hundred words. All three of us combined that is.

Wrong - In the last 3 posts Honest Abe said one option was for the Town Council to "vote down the budget." There's no such thing. A tax levy has to be certfied. How does voting the budget down certify a tax levy? It makes no sense.

StudiesandObservations said - "No, if the Budget doesnt pass, the State will step in and impose it anyway, just like always."

and he also said

"No, it has NOTHING to do with this Mayor, who i am not a fan of anyway, but for different reasons than this. In fact this same exact Scenario happaned under Henry Hill, Ken Lindenfelser, Pete McIntyre, Leo Vartan, and the one Mayor Between Hill and Lindenfelser, who's name just escapes me at the moment. It's a common occurrance. "

What StudiesandObservations may not know is that in 1996 the laws regarding reinstatement of defeated budgets were re-written. It is now much more difficult to get cuts restored. Since CEIFA was enacted in 1996 only one budget was appealed (in 2001) and 90% of the cuts the Town Council imposed were upheld - only 10% was restored. None of the Mayors mentioned had a budget defeated after 1996.

If the school budget is defeated the Mayor and Town Council must make significant cuts. The problem is to do that correctly takes a great deal of effort. There's a lot of reading and number crunching. The Town Council in the last two years has taken the easy way out and left our auditor to do the work. As a result the last two budget defeats have become meaningless. Very little was cut, and the cycle repeats. The people demanded tax reduction. They didn't get it.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Guest Second Warder

Councilman Mangin,

The Mayor is not going to cut the School Board Budget because his buddie and deputy mayor, Mary Torres, is the school board president. The Mayor is full of it, he puts on a good show but the numbers do not lie--- taxes have gone up every year since he has been in office and they will continue to go up because he has not taken the bull by the horns and looked for serious ways to save money. He is too afraid that Mary Torres will yell at him like he is a little boy.

Look at North Arlington. Mayor Pitman hired someone to find ways to cut the budget. Kearny has a full time Mayor, full time Business Administrator, a full time CFO and nobody can find some fat in the school budget to cut. The Board of Education is too top heavy and someone needs to spend the time to take apart the school budget before our seniors have to move in with their children.

What's your response Mayor? I'm I lying that my taxes have gone up every year since you took office?

Guest Guest 99

It is up to the entire Town Council, including Jim Mangin, to look at and amend the BOE budget if needed. The Mayor is no more than a Council member-at-large, with one vote.

Now you want the town to spend more money, like NA, and hire another outside consultant? Hmmm??

If everyone is soooo concerned with the tax rates for the BOE and the municipality, how is it that a minority of registered voters turn out on the two election days? Plain and simple, you don't care or you would exercise your voting privilege.

Guest Guest 1

I agree part of the problem is that the same people keep voting in the same people and the others stay home. As far as cutting the budget, you're right all nine members including Jim Mangin have to vote on it, not just the Mayor. But we all also know that the Mayor exercises some control over the others with the exception of Mangin and Kelly. That's just how it is.

Archived