Petition to have Paszkiewicz fired

Guest Michael from Texas

Also remember this boy , if offended could have gotten up and walked out of that class anytime he wanted to, but instead he chose to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Wow, you Kearny students sure are lucky, being able to leave your classes at will and all. I would get in trouble if I left my A.P. History class in the middle of a lecture, and the teacher would be in even more trouble if he had been preaching religion.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:angry: My question is this, Was this man a good teacher before this little spoiled brat, who spends too much time thinking how he can be the center of everyones attention, started this thing?"

Excuse me? The boy started this?

:angry:

:angry::angry:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Very funny. It was the teacher who initiated the topic and, from the words of other students, apparently has been doing the same for years. Matthew Leclaire didn't 'start' anything. All he did was call to attention the teacher's behavior, which was grossly unprofessional. It is sad to see people like you so mercilessly attack the messenger.

YES HE WAS AND YES HE IS."

Such a good teacher he not only knowingly breaks the law, but then lies about it to his boss?

Just remember one thing, One nation, under GOD.

A McCarthyist Pledge, there due to the support of Joseph McCarthy himself, A Christian Fascist surpassed by few.

The irony is that now, this corruption of a beautiful Pledge is somehow trotted out as an excuse to tolerate further crimes.

Both of my children had this wonderful teacher and both are now in the educational field,

If they picked up his principles, I pity them.

so my vote goes to the man who taught my children.

Without, apparently, so much as the slightest consideration of the facts.

Also remember this boy , if offended could have gotten up and walked out of that class anytime he wanted to, but instead he chose to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Ahem. That was a load of steaming bovine feces. Walking out of a history class is:

A) not likely to endear you to your teacher (and given Paskiewicz' apparent complete lack of principles, there is little doubt he could have abused that power

:lol: Not being in class is likely to end in detention (Not sure of this, I never went to KHS

Guest Discipline
I think this lead-in post misses a few important points.  I hope you'll consider and reply to what follows.

School systems have disciplinary procedures for alleged problem behaviors by staff.  Paul LaClair himself has said, "Teacher discipline is not our issue. We have stated publicly that Paszkiewicz is a good teacher, when he sticks to his subject. His moral conduct in Somma's office and since is another matter, but it is not for us to determine disciplinary action."

If you have not done so already, I recommend you read Mr. LeClair's letter here that contains the above quote.  It's an astounding piece.  I take Mr. LeClair at his word.  It's impossible to get any more close to the issue than he is, and he and Matthew are the ones taking the risks.  I believe all of us who admire what they're doing and are potential supporters should take a deep breath and defer to the LaClairs' judgment in this respect.

Rather than a firing, the LeClairs have said they are looking for an apology out of the teacher, corrections to the misinformation dispensed in the classroom as if it were truth, and quality control by the administration to ensure that similar episodes are not repeated.  These are hardly extremist demands.  He has also called upon reasoning people in the community and clergy to stand up to the vitriol and false arguments from the teacher's apologists, and to confront the legitimate, foundational issues the episode with Mr. Paszkiewicz has raised.  How to get these things to happen?

I think Paul LeClair's strategy has rested heavily on investing significant amounts of time presenting their case in public in a reasoned, articulate, firm, but nonvolatile way.  Go back to the blog, go to his user ID, isolate his comments, and see if you don't agree.  I think the effort is to get a critical mass of people in the community to think more rationally about what's happened.  A reluctant school administration and board would be forced to rethink their choices and act.  Petitions by people who are largely outside the community aren't going to make that happen; in fact, they're more likely to further polarize the situation.  If LeClair thought he had LOCAL signatures for such a petition to be successful right now, I'm sure he'd be considering it.  First, he has to get them to THINK.  That in itself may win the day, without the need for petitions.  He knows he has the option to pursue a lawsuit, probably winable.  It is to his credit that he has viewed that as a last resort.

We support the LaClairs by helping to keep the conversation reasoned and moving forward, using facts, evidence, reason, and the fundamentals of our democracy.  Like LaClair, at some point you have to politely let go of posters like 2smart4u and keep to the high road.  There are a LOT of people reading these blog topics who are not commenting, and I suspect a lot of them are from Kearny.  This is a critical time to reach these people; a lot are here because they're still trying to sort it all out.  It's great for them to know that there are hundreds of people from across the nation and the world writing notes of support to Matthew.  It's great for them to know that there are lots of Americans who are looking to them to make thoughtful choices.  But we need to trust the wisdom and persuasiveness of our own arguments and give them the space to do just that -- make thoughtful choices.  We also need to be good listeners, understand other points of view, and move forward.  In a way, it's exactly what Mr. Paszkiewicz did NOT do in the classroom. (I sincerely hope someday Mr. Paszkiewicz can learn that lesson.  I'm a teacher.  I've listened to the tapes.  I've experienced the exhilarating opposite extreme, where the students take ownershiip of their own learning, and I'm almost superfluous.)

I susgest we let LaClair take the lead.  What do you say?

And obviously the disciple taken was not adequate for the LeClairs, so let's let the whole world know about his ruthless teacher?? It should have ended there, but this F@cked up family has other motives and that IS what is obvious here!!!

Guest one sided
See what happens when someone from outside Kearny tries to exchange ideas? Some idiot from Kearny threatens. Keep showing America what Kearny is like. They are still watching this board.

So what happens when someone is ONESIDED.

Who threatened who?

Petitioning to take away someone's livelihood and teaching certification is any different??

Thank you for this board!

I learned about this issue from the Dec. 19th issue of the New York Times New York Region section. I was appalled-but not surprised-at the abuse of power performed by Mr. Paskiewicz. While I am completely in support of Mr. La Clair Sr's and Jr.'s efforts, I 'd like to point out another aspect of this case.

Mr. Paskiewicz pointed out a Muslim American female student and told her in public, on the property of Kearny High School, that she was "going to hell", because her family did not practice this teacher's interpretation of the Bible. The ignorance inherent in this statement could take a day to unpack, however, what occurs to me, is that this qualifies as hate speech.

My concern extends to that young woman and other Muslim students at Kearny High who have been publically discriminated by Mr. Paskiewicz and witnessed by the Kearny High School community. What message does this send to the various communities constituting the Kearny area? The most obvious one is that religious bigotry is very much tolerated by administration, faculty and students.

I've sent a letter, as a concerned Muslim American citizen, to Kearny High's principal, vice principle and a member of the Board of Education expressing my concerns that this aspect of this case not be ignored. Hate speech such as the sentiment expressed by this teacher is intolerable-why is this remotely excusable?

Thanks, Bob, for that deeply effective reply. It would be a good thing if everyone in New Jersey is as clear headed and thoughtful in their posts as you are.

Seriously though, personal attacks are not an acceptable way to discuss issues with another. It is possible to be deeply opposed to the opinions of others without threatening violence, attacking them on matter unrelated to the current discussion, and overall poor spelling and grammar to boot. While I disagree with what the teacher did, I am not sure as to what the correct response should be in this particular case. Instead of attacking someone else, which everyone learned is wrong Christian or not, why don't you articulate your defense of him in a firm but polite way?

Cheers,

Matthew Roberts

Oakland, California

Another onesided person, on the left side of the Country.

Show me where there was a personal attack.

This individual wants to have a teacher FIRED and Teaching credentials taken away. Tell me this is not a personal attack against someone, especially when this individual is merely basing his action on what he is reading on this site.

MY comment is merely a suggested form of discipline against an individual IF they make (1) wrong decision or action in their life.

As in the decision the LeClairs have made, there was discipline taken against the teacher, but that was not acceptable to them. All you people that are siding with the LeClairs are the ones that will not be happy until this teacher is fired.

We are all entitled to our opinions, right or wrong?

This teacher was wrong for "preaching" in class, I'll give you that, but he has been disciplined and that sould be it. End of story. Move on.

By the way, you know what really annoys me? People that want to correct spelling and grammar on website postings! You're so much more versed, read your last line. How's your grammar now?

Salute

Guest Key Word
You love your Red Herring, don't you? And exclamation marks, for that matter.

And, not to veer into yet another tangential and unimportant discussion, but: 'bringing down the whole country'? That's a rather...strange statement. There is a rather strong case to be made for immigrants improving the local economy (they produce, and consume, both of which quickens the pace of the local economy, not to mention sales taxes).

Calling said teacher's conduct 'inappropriate' would be an understatement of the first order. On the other hand, firing someone is hardly equal to hanging, shooting, and burning on a cross. In fact, there seem to be a disturbing amount of people in Kearny ready to jump at the chance to not only exonerate him, but to crucify Leclair instead.

Back to the original topic...whether or not to fire mr. P. is obviously the school's choice. As Paul Leclair himself apparently stated the man was an excellent teacher when sticking to his subject, firing him might be premature...and so far, no one (except online) seems to have demanded such.

As such, it seems perfectly acceptable to make him apologize and then let go of things...provided it is made crystal clear to mr. P. that his behavior was intolerable.

Myself, I wouldn't really mind him being fired, either. His behavior was not only illegal, but also grossly unprofessional and an abuse of power. Mr. P's audience was literally 'captivated'...in the sense that none of them could leave during his rantings. The very fact that he has been abusing the moral authority any adult has over younger people in this way is an incredibly ugly thing in and of itself, and should lead Kearny residents to wonder just why they are supporting such a morally bankrupt man.

So to summarize: had any of the parents asked for Mr. P to be fired, I would certainly have supported it. Now that such is not the case, I see little reason to pursue it.

The KEY WORD HERE IS "ILLEGAL" immigrant.

Dear Mr. Somma, Ms./Mr. Barbone, and Ms. McDonald,

I was one of the many readers of the article "Talk in

Class Turns To God, Setting Off Public Debates On

Rights" printed in today's early edition of the New

York Times.

As student who has graduated a public high school in

New Jersey, the kinds of religious bigotry that

teachers like Mr. Paskiewicz in your high school's

employ, is not news to me. Somehow, teachers like Mr.

Paskiewicz seem to find support in among people who

find it completely acceptable to support what

theologian Karen Armstrong has termed an attitude of

hate against various religious minorities. I suspect

Mr. Paskiewicz's hate speech is an outburst of a bias

that has not been addressed by your school and needs

to be addressed more courageously and clearly.

I am pleased that a student in your institution,

Matthew La Clair, drew on his resource of basic human

decency and tolerance to confront Mr. Paskiewicz's

ignorance. However, I am also concerned about the

Muslim female student who was told by a teacher in

your institution and employ that she was "going to

hell" because of her religious identity. What support

is your school offering her and other Muslim and non

Christian students after this incident of hate speech?

What message is your institution actively sending to

your high school students that this kind of speech is

unacceptable, particularly on the grounds of Kearny

High School?

Were I the parents or friends of a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu

student (and I am not) who was the recipient of Mr.

Paskiewicz's classroom hate speech, I would be

extremely concerned. I sincerely hope that your

administration takes concrete and multiple measures to

communicate to your High School community (educators,

students and administration) to explore constructive

interfaith and secular dialogue and tolerance. This

committment you may take from the pages of the young

Mr. La Clair and the silenced, unidentified Muslim

student- an attitude of dignity, self respect and

respect for other beliefs.

I'll be looking for proof of these efforts on your

school's webpage.

Sincerely,

Not to sidetrack the issue, a teacher who considers himself knowledgeble in religion would know that Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic faiths. Muslims revere Moses, Christ and Mohammad as prophets of God. I'm pointing this out to unscore the importance of interfaith respect (and that includes Hinduism, etc) and scholarship as opposed to divisiveness. However, I must add that there are many faith practicing folk including scientists who subsribe to both evolution and creation theory and see the possibilities of both systems. Read Karen Armstrong if you are interested in learning about Islam from a neutral perspective.

Thank you for this board!

I learned about this issue from the Dec. 19th issue of the New York Times New York Region section. I was appalled-but not surprised-at the abuse of power performed by Mr. Paskiewicz. While I am completely in support of Mr. La Clair Sr's and Jr.'s efforts, I 'd like to point out another aspect of this case.

Mr. Paskiewicz pointed out a Muslim American female student and told her in public, on the property of Kearny High School, that she was "going to hell", because her family did not practice this teacher's interpretation of the Bible. The ignorance inherent in this statement could take a day to unpack, however, what occurs to me, is that this qualifies as hate speech.

My concern extends to that young woman and other Muslim students at Kearny High who have been publically discriminated by Mr. Paskiewicz and witnessed by the Kearny High School community. What message does this send to the various communities constituting the Kearny area? The most obvious one is that religious bigotry is very much tolerated by administration, faculty and students.

I've sent a letter, as a concerned Muslim American citizen, to Kearny High's principal, vice principle and a member of the Board of Education expressing my concerns that this aspect of this case not be ignored. Hate speech such as the sentiment expressed by this teacher is intolerable-why is this remotely excusable?

Thank you. You are exactly correct. This administration is condoning indefensible behavior.

So what happens when someone is ONESIDED.

Who threatened who?

Petitioning to take away someone's livelihood and teaching certification is any different??

Of course it's different. These threats are being posted without any thought behind them, just because some people are unhappy that this teacher's proselytizing game --- which they obviously support --- was exposed. (The emperor has no clothes. "Oh what a horrid boy to say that!") Most of these threats and other personal attacks are being posted anonymously and, of course, without any content behind them.

By contrast, the petitioners do not have the power to "take away" anything. The most they can do is call for action, which would require due process, a specific statement of charges and proof to back them up. The differences are profound.

Dear Mr. Somma, Ms./Mr. Barbone, and Ms. McDonald,

I was one of the many readers of the article "Talk in

Class Turns To God, Setting Off Public Debates On

Rights" printed in today's early edition of the New

York Times.

As student who has graduated a public high school in

New Jersey, the kinds of religious bigotry that

teachers like Mr. Paskiewicz in your high school's

employ, is not news to me. Somehow, teachers like Mr.

Paskiewicz seem to find support in among people who

find it completely acceptable to support what

theologian Karen Armstrong has termed an attitude of

hate against various religious minorities. I suspect

Mr. Paskiewicz's hate speech is an outburst of a bias

that has not been addressed by your school and needs

to be addressed more courageously and clearly.

I am pleased that a student in your institution,

Matthew La Clair, drew on his resource of basic human

decency and tolerance to confront Mr. Paskiewicz's

ignorance. However, I am also concerned about the

Muslim female student who was told by a teacher in

your institution and employ that she was "going to

hell" because of her religious identity. What support

is your school offering her and other Muslim and non

Christian students after this incident of hate speech?

What message is your institution actively sending to

your high school students that this kind of speech is

unacceptable, particularly on the grounds of Kearny

High School?

Were I the parents or friends of a Muslim/Jewish/Hindu

student (and I am not) who was the recipient of Mr.

Paskiewicz's classroom hate speech, I would be

extremely concerned. I sincerely hope that your

administration takes concrete and multiple measures to

communicate to your High School community (educators,

students and administration) to explore constructive

interfaith and secular dialogue and tolerance. This

committment you may take from the pages of the young

Mr. La Clair and the silenced, unidentified Muslim

student- an attitude of dignity, self respect and

respect for other beliefs.

I'll be looking for proof of these efforts on your

school's webpage.

Sincerely,

By their support of the teacher and not the students, and by their silence in not condemning such conduct, they are condoning it. That is what this administration is doing.

Guest A. V. Blom
The KEY WORD HERE IS "ILLEGAL" immigrant.

I'm quite familiar with the term. It is the 'bringing down the whole country' part I disagree with. While I realize it is breaking the law, it is a stretch to claim these immigrants will doom the country. I reiterate, their being illegal does not preclude them being an economic asset.

Guest A. V. Blom
Sorry, but when you make a mistake around here you are not permitted to post ever again.

This is the LeClair law.

Make (1) mistake and you are banished for life.

:angry: So wait...you have a sense of humor after all? Even if it's lame.

And a strawman. So far, I have not heard the Leclair's asking for P. to be fired...even though he richly deserves it. Paskiewicz's actions are hardly 'a mistake'. He has veered into religion on multiple occasions and, if the students are to be believed, has been doing so for years. Moreover, he lied about it later, meaning it was not a mistake but deliberately breaking the law.

Guest Guest_Janet_*

Despite Mr. LeClair's statement that he is not looking for disciplinary action against Mr. P, his actions speak louder than his words. One doesn't go to the media and internet to vilify a man without an agenda. One doesn't start a webblog without an agenda. I've followed this weblog for weeks, and when the locals stopped posting, having tired of the issue, suddenly the website was inundated with comments by his "far and away" supporters, making the most incendiary comments. Keep fanning the flames, Paul. Keep making the bullets and then sitting back while other people shoot them at Mr. P, the Board, and the town, and then guilelessly wonder why people won't support you. Your original message had credence; your methods since that time have been abhorrent.

Guest A. V. Blom
Despite Mr. LeClair's statement that he is not looking for disciplinary action against Mr. P, his actions speak louder than his words.  One doesn't go to the media and internet to vilify a man without an agenda.  One doesn't start a webblog without an agenda.  I've followed this weblog for weeks, and when the locals stopped posting, having tired of the issue, suddenly the website was inundated with comments by his "far and away" supporters, making the most incendiary comments.  Keep fanning the flames, Paul.  Keep making the bullets and then sitting back while other people shoot them at Mr. P, the Board, and the town, and then guilelessly wonder why people won't support you.  Your original message had credence; your methods since that time have been abhorrent.

Of course he has an agenda...everyone does. That does not make his actions any less right. His actions DO speak louder than words. And his actions have so far been most considerate, given the grievous offense by the teacher.

Despite Mr. LeClair's statement that he is not looking for disciplinary action against Mr. P, his actions speak louder than his words.  One doesn't go to the media and internet to vilify a man without an agenda.  One doesn't start a webblog without an agenda.  I've followed this weblog for weeks, and when the locals stopped posting, having tired of the issue, suddenly the website was inundated with comments by his "far and away" supporters, making the most incendiary comments.  Keep fanning the flames, Paul.  Keep making the bullets and then sitting back while other people shoot them at Mr. P, the Board, and the town, and then guilelessly wonder why people won't support you.  Your original message had credence; your methods since that time have been abhorrent.

Agree with you 100%.

The La Clair's is very selective on what they use (their tactics), so people will take their side.

He did not follow the chain of commands.

Guest Cowboy Mike
hi Bob, so nice to know that there are bigoted as$wipes in New Jersey too.  I really thought that Texas had the monopoly on uneducated, intolerant, bigoted, religious morons, but I see that they've come to live in Kearny also.

Congratulations on a fine education from Kearny. 

I suppose your science teachers in Kearny think that the sun still revolves around the earth, or the earth is flat.

As for cleaning our own yard, it seems that we have done just fine by exporting all the bigots and semi-intelligent people (dinosaurs on Noah's Ark???) to Kearny.

Have a Merry Christmas to those who know the "truth", and let's just comdemn everyone else who doesn't believe what you believe to hell.

I'll give you credit, the beginning of your second sentence is correct and that's why you are there.

As for everything else you are off track and rambling. It's amazing how some people can make any comment they want but when someone else has something to say the gloves come off.

Stay in Texas and maybe you can pile up the $hit thats coming out your mouth to build a wall to keep out the ILLEGALS.

You are wrong. Matthew specifically told Paszkiewicz he was offended, and Paszkiewicz did not even have the decency to acknowledge the fact.

You are doing a tremendous amount of talking for your son. Much earlier communications between you and your son are also very suspect.

The only thing you're forgetting is YOU committed the biggest screwup when YOU didn't attend the most important meeting of your life: Parent, Student, Teacher and Administration.

Sorry Paul, you dropped the ball! Now you want to run with it.

Guest pay attention
Wow, you Kearny students sure are lucky, being able to leave your classes at will and all. I would get in trouble if I left my A.P. History class in the middle of a lecture, and the teacher would be in even more trouble if he had been preaching religion.

Don't you know that RULES do not apply to the LeClairs. They can do whatever they want.

Of course it's different. These threats are being posted without any thought behind them, just because some people are unhappy that this teacher's proselytizing game --- which they obviously support --- was exposed. (The emperor has no clothes. "Oh what a horrid boy to say that!") Most of these threats and other personal attacks are being posted anonymously and, of course, without any content behind them.

By contrast, the petitioners do not have the power to "take away" anything. The most they can do is call for action, which would require due process, a specific statement of charges and proof to back them up. The differences are profound.

Sorry , Paul, you're wrong again. But than again your opinions are Gospel (oh god I should not have said that) and everyone else is wrong.

Discipline is one thing, demanding someone be fired is another.

I'm quite familiar with the term. It is the 'bringing down the whole country' part I disagree with. While I realize it is breaking the law, it is a stretch to claim these immigrants will doom the country. I reiterate, their being illegal does not preclude them being an economic asset.

It's people with a mindset like you that will doom this country. WOW