Smoke condition in Kearny handled by Harrison FD

Guest Guest

On NJ. com, it states that the Harrison Fire Dept. put out a small fire/smoke condition on Duke St. in Kearny. Why would tiny old Harrison, with its pitiful little social clubhouse babies have to put out a fire in Kearny? The Kearny Fire Dept. touts that they are "the legendary in their own minds bravest" who train EVERY day and have light speed response times. The KFD has about 90 underachievers with a $10 million dollar budget and Harrison has about 30 underachievers with an over $4 million dollar budget. In my opinion, both departments are equally highly overpaid, untrained, undisciplined, cowardly, and inept. They also boast multi-million dollar man caves where they sleep while under the guise of employment.

Why did a 30 person dept. have to put out a small fire/smoke condition in Kearny where they have an overstaffed, top heavy with supervision of 90 losers? Some reasons could be that the KFD were too tired to get out of bed, too out of shape to respond, or just don't care because they don't live in Kearny. The KFD cannot even squirt the water from a safe distance. I imagine they have a creative excuse, but it's neglect no matter how the union boys spin it. It's a real shame that with a combined approx. $14 million budget these two pathetic depts. still cannot get their act together.

Just go to volunteer and get the inevitable over sooner than later. East Newark would have done a better job than Kearny or Harrison anyway. Another black mark on the latest West Hudson folly of errors. What a blatant waste of money. Jus Sayin.....

Guest YEEEEPPPP

On NJ. com, it states that the Harrison Fire Dept. put out a small fire/smoke condition on Duke St. in Kearny. Why would tiny old Harrison, with its pitiful little social clubhouse babies have to put out a fire in Kearny? The Kearny Fire Dept. touts that they are "the legendary in their own minds bravest" who train EVERY day and have light speed response times. The KFD has about 90 underachievers with a $10 million dollar budget and Harrison has about 30 underachievers with an over $4 million dollar budget. In my opinion, both departments are equally highly overpaid, untrained, undisciplined, cowardly, and inept. They also boast multi-million dollar man caves where they sleep while under the guise of employment.

Why did a 30 person dept. have to put out a small fire/smoke condition in Kearny where they have an overstaffed, top heavy with supervision of 90 losers? Some reasons could be that the KFD were too tired to get out of bed, too out of shape to respond, or just don't care because they don't live in Kearny. The KFD cannot even squirt the water from a safe distance. I imagine they have a creative excuse, but it's neglect no matter how the union boys spin it. It's a real shame that with a combined approx. $14 million budget these two pathetic depts. still cannot get their act together.

Just go to volunteer and get the inevitable over sooner than later. East Newark would have done a better job than Kearny or Harrison anyway. Another black mark on the latest West Hudson folly of errors. What a blatant waste of money. Jus Sayin.....

Harrison surely was requested by Kearny FD for mutual aid assistance but did NOT put out the fire in Duke St the other day. The HFD duties were not to supress the fire but to assist in other duties. East Newark does the best they can with the little they have, but get your facts right. In this incident, the ENFD was initially requested to the scene, but then was asked to cover the town of Kearny by going to their fire station on Kearny Avenue. The volunteer ENFD had an extremely terrible response time for this incident. North Arlington also went to the same station and had an equally terrible response time, yes they are volunteers also. Usually, the ENFD members rush to the firehouse in 3-5mins and get to an incident anywhere between 3-7 minutes (which is excelllent for a volunteer department). On this incident, it took EN to get to the Kearny FD station about 20 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes from the initial request. The dispatcher had to send dispatch pages 3 times to ENFD since there was a lack of response. Unfortunately, this is what you get for a volunteer FD during the Monday-Friday business hours. Do you really want this in a much larger city like Kearny where fires and emergencies are more frequent? Get real. "Jus Sayin..." .... MIND YOU, the East Newark Mayor/Council just removed 5 members (some were top members) off the fire department, word is, ******* *********. Volunteer FD's need the more members the better, to avoid lack of responses like this incident since you never know who's working or out of town. Additionally, if you are so pro-volunteer, why don't you take a stroll to the EN fire station and request an application. Becareful what you ask for though. You got that, "Just Sayin.." ???

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Kearny Senior

Barney once again bores us with his cowardly remarks. I think Barney should stop in the firehouses in Harrison and Kearny and identify himself as Barney the coward. But of course we know that will never happen. Barney would wet his pants if he ever had

to go eye-to-eye with one of the bravest.

Please tell us exactly where you are going to get all of these Volunteers from??? Kearny couldnt keep enough volunteers on hand to have ONE SINGLE AMBULANCE in service 24/7/365, which is why Kearny's Ambulance went to Paid days, and eventually an Outside Contracted service. if you folks couldnt come up with people to have just Two on hand around the clock, what makes you so sure you'll find enough people to fight a fire???

You said it all. The response was that Kearny NEEDED assistance from Harrison and E. Newark. They requested it because the KFD was not capable of handling its business without help from outside agencies. That alone screams out that they are not well trained and cannot function on their own with any assurance or confidence. This should be a disturbing feeling to the residents that even with $10 million in tax money (on only 90 employees) cannot get the job done. This was the only incident in town at the town, one isolated event and the entire resources of the town dropped the ball badly because the KFD couldn't handle one small fire on it's own without panicing.

If this debacle is eveidence as to the very limited capabilities of these towns then they should merge for proper coordination. The problem is that there is so much rank that if a merger were proposed anyone with organizational skills at the helm would eliminate half of the Captains and above in the merger for cost cutting and that would be correct. The Fire unions would fight against a merger all the way to the Supreme Court because they are worried about salaries and promotions, not public safety. It's time for an effficient, cost cutting measures to get this runaway mess back on point.

Harrison surely was requested by Kearny FD for mutual aid assistance but did NOT put out the fire in Duke St the other day. The HFD duties were not to supress the fire but to assist in other duties. East Newark does the best they can with the little they have, but get your facts right. In this incident, the ENFD was initially requested to the scene, but then was asked to cover the town of Kearny by going to their fire station on Kearny Avenue. The volunteer ENFD had an extremely terrible response time for this incident. North Arlington also went to the same station and had an equally terrible response time, yes they are volunteers also. Usually, the ENFD members rush to the firehouse in 3-5mins and get to an incident anywhere between 3-7 minutes (which is excelllent for a volunteer department). On this incident, it took EN to get to the Kearny FD station about 20 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes from the initial request. The dispatcher had to send dispatch pages 3 times to ENFD since there was a lack of response. Unfortunately, this is what you get for a volunteer FD during the Monday-Friday business hours. Do you really want this in a much larger city like Kearny where fires and emergencies are more frequent? Get real. "Jus Sayin..." .... MIND YOU, the East Newark Mayor/Council just removed 5 members (some were top members) off the fire department, word is, ******* *********. Volunteer FD's need the more members the better, to avoid lack of responses like this incident since you never know who's working or out of town. Additionally, if you are so pro-volunteer, why don't you take a stroll to the EN fire station and request an application. Becareful what you ask for though. You got that, "Just Sayin.." ???

East Newark was not initially dispatched to the scene. Yes usually they have excellent response time for a volunteer department, but didn't have the best response time this time around.

I saw the same article on nj.com very odd how it was worded that way. Not sure why. The entire KFD was at the scene and 1 engine from Harrison. Seems like the bad job was done by the person who wrote the article, all the FD's did a great job at the scene, as usual.

I don't know where the Kearny Fire Dept. is getting their story from but all credible news sources clearly state that the Harrison FD put out the fire in Kearny. I believe the news accounts as they are non-biased. It is hard to believe that the HFD could extinguish something as small as a single match by themselves, that's been proven time and time gain. The HFD is as incompetent as they come, so is it possible that the HFD gave the account to the news to pad their responses to an already disgusted public sickened by promotions that are baseless on merit or purpose.

Two neighboring towns cat fighting over who did what is desperate to the level of total mediocrity and shows bored little boys fighting for attention any way they can get it even if it means having the public question their veracity. "Pick-me coach, let me squirt the water so I can be in the newspaper as the big man," says Joe Hero. They should make a reality show called "The Real Fire Girls of New Jersey," where they sit in couches around the moderator and accuse each other of not being brave enough. Let season #1 begin on Bravo.

Unbelievable. First this guy bitches about that the Kearny Fire Department and Harrison Fire Departments dont do anything, then when they work together to save 10 Kearny residents from losing their house he crys about that.

Kearny Engine 1 in who's district the fire occured along with Squad 2 (Kearny Avenue and second due engine to Dukes St.) were in South Kearny participatng in a drill with Kearny Engine 4.

The remaining uptown Engine, Engine 3 were on the scene of another incident leaving Truck 1 as the only available unit at the time with 3 men.

Not quite as dramatic or scandalous as "Guests" post but more importantly.....factual.

Regardless, fire extinguished, residents unharmed and the home and surrounding homes saved.

Intersting that you never mentioned the injured and hospitalized Firefighter or at the very least the residents and their losses.

And I do believe the residents may differ in opinion in regards to your "small smoke/fire condition" comment.

jus sayin

Guest Kearny Senior

I don't know where the Kearny Fire Dept. is getting their story from but all credible news sources clearly state that the Harrison FD put out the fire in Kearny. I believe the news accounts as they are non-biased. It is hard to believe that the HFD could extinguish something as small as a single match by themselves, that's been proven time and time gain. The HFD is as incompetent as they come, so is it possible that the HFD gave the account to the news to pad their responses to an already disgusted public sickened by promotions that are baseless on merit or purpose.

Two neighboring towns cat fighting over who did what is desperate to the level of total mediocrity and shows bored little boys fighting for attention any way they can get it even if it means having the public question their veracity. "Pick-me coach, let me squirt the water so I can be in the newspaper as the big man," says Joe Hero. They should make a reality show called "The Real Fire Girls of New Jersey," where they sit in couches around the moderator and accuse each other of not being brave enough. Let season #1 begin on Bravo.

Cowardly Barney still hasn't appeared at any firehouse to identify himself. It's much safer in his bedroom.

You are reDickulous, KFD &HFD did a great job communicating & working together & always have. HFD cut by nearly 60% & KFD cut by 45% mutual aid is a must, as they say doing more with less. No one killed + building still standing = great job. Unfortunate for the FF injury, injured while trying to protect someone he probably doesn't know & maybe someday that unknown person being saved would be you. Now go & try doing 5 push-ups in case you need to lift your sorry a$$ over a window sill. KFD & HFD 2 needed necessities & HEAR TO STAY!!!!

Why wouldn't it be safe for a citizen to go to a firehouse? Would they be physically attacked by a bunch of underachieving, disgruntled town workers for offering their opinion? Remember the last time a West Hudson fireman opened his mouth in a bar. A puny little man beat the snot out of him in front of his crew as they looked on in shame. Jus sayin...

Those cuts in manpower should tell you something. You claim you are doing the job well at this time with 45% less personnel. Then what the hell was going on in all the prior years? I say cut another 25% right now and keep the brave boys busy more than 1 or 2 days a year. Loo-zers, lu-sers, lui-zirs, or losers. Anyway you say it, it spells firemen! Jus sayin...

Cowardly Barney still hasn't appeared at any firehouse to identify himself. It's much safer in his bedroom.

Says the guy who can't decide if he's from Harrison or Kearny :rolleyes: We get it, you hate Cops..of course your poor relations with the Police just CANT be from the fact that YOU are the A-Hole...Nope, Must be them damn Cops.

Guest Kearny Senior

Why wouldn't it be safe for a citizen to go to a firehouse? Would they be physically attacked by a bunch of underachieving, disgruntled town workers for offering their opinion? Remember the last time a West Hudson fireman opened his mouth in a bar. A puny little man beat the snot out of him in front of his crew as they looked on in shame. Jus sayin...

Of course not, Barney. If you visited a firehouse in Harrison or Kearny and identified yourself as the spineless wimp that's jealous of real men doing dangerous work, the firefighters would look at your 5'6", 140 lb physique and feel sorry for you. After they finished laughing at you, they would make you a junior firefighter and give you a little red plastic helmet with a light on top.

The Kearny and Harrison Fire Depts. see so little action that the problem is , in my opinion, they get scared and anxious when they hear about or see real fire or smoke to the point that they cannot function. They have become complacent to the extent that their initial academy training has atrophied to a point of non-existence. When they come out of an academy and don't use training for years and then only once or twice a year they lose confidence in their abilities. That is apparent at every fire in West Hudson. These firemen beg for mutual aid even before they leave their beds because they are looking for qualified personnel to do some work if necessary.

These depts. have issued calls for mutual aid before arrival at what turned out to be false alarms. That is total incompetence and cowardice. No excuses for this are acceptable.

Guest Kearny Senior

The Kearny and Harrison Fire Depts. see so little action that the problem is , in my opinion, they get scared and anxious when they hear about or see real fire or smoke to the point that they cannot function. They have become complacent to the extent that their initial academy training has atrophied to a point of non-existence. When they come out of an academy and don't use training for years and then only once or twice a year they lose confidence in their abilities. That is apparent at every fire in West Hudson. These firemen beg for mutual aid even before they leave their beds because they are looking for qualified personnel to do some work if necessary.

These depts. have issued calls for mutual aid before arrival at what turned out to be false alarms. That is total incompetence and cowardice. No excuses for this are acceptable.

Barney, you're still a no show at any firehouse. Man up Barney, the FF's won't hurt you. They've even promised not to laugh at you for being so short and skinny.