Jeopardizing children's safety

Guest BIG TAXPAYER

Guest BIG TAXPAYER

What is happening with our crossing guards? Over the past school year, The Town of Kearny closed several corners, where we once had school crossing guards.Here in Kearny, our children walk to,and from school. Most families today, have two working parents, and some, single parent families who work.I have lived here all my life, and was always comfortable with my kid's walking to school, because, I knew they were in good hands, and safe. The crossing guards, for the most, have been on those corners for many years,know my children, and care for them. Today, things continue to change, I was notified through a letter sent from school, that another crossing guard would be eliminated from Midland, and Elm St, CRAZY!!!!! Midland Ave is a main street here in town, the traffic is heavy, and the amount of kid"s walking to and from school is alarming, when the town decides to gamble with our kid's lives. Too many services have been cut, but, given the economy, we taxpayers roll with the punches, taxes have not been decreased, and, this one is not worth saving $$$$$. I only hope, that other parents, are seeing this, we must get the town to reconsider this decision. Mr Mayor, do you have any idea, how many of our children walk that way, what is it going to take??? How many more little lives are going to be subjected to cut's, they will not stop there. People move to Kearny because, it is suppose to be a safe place to raise our children, not when tax cuts are jeopardizing the most important asset, our children!!!! parents, please speak up, Mayor, please reconsider, this is not a smart choice.

In these tough economic times, we are all required to make sacrifices, the Mayor said so. It is however, a sad statement that he considers children's safety another of the many "luxuries" that the Town provides. Perhaps if he were a parent he may understand, but he only sees dollars and sense.

The Founding Fathers talked often about "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness;" well I got news for you, without the first one, the other two are IMPOSSIBLE.

Do the minimum Mayor, keep the citizens safe!!

Guest You Get what you Pay For

Midland and Elm has a Traffic Light......if your Children are unable to cross safely at a Light, maybe you should be worrying more about what YOU are teaching them..or NOT as the case may be. You folks have been screaming for years about how taxes are too high, Salaries are too high, there are too many Employees, Ect, Ect Ect. This is the part where you reap what you Sow. Crossing Guards come out of the Police Budget..that budget has been cut, so, we have fewer Cops and Crossing guards.

Guest Kearny parent

Again and again , The Board of Education members are passed up when it comes time to lay off town workers. Wouldn't it be better to run a small skeleton crew at the Board office, Rather than jeopardize the safety of the kids.? Lay off Cops and Crossing guards, then expect the kids to take chances crossing busy streets. And with all the safe drivers driving at safe speeds and NEVER taking their eyes off the road to send a text. Kearny doesn't give a shit anymore, just like Harrison. Dead children don't matter to any board members, If they do, then step up and take a few pay cuts so we can have the crossing Safety guards that our kids need and DESERVE.

Guest Concerned Parent

To; You get what you pay for; you could not be more wrong, and it is apparent, that you have no children. First of all, you are clueless, #1. We are not getting what we pay for, because, if we were, we would not be arguing this topic. #2. yes, there is a traffic light on that corner, what does that prove? People make the right on red, all the time, completely disregarding the law, (when children are present). The cars also speed, heading north on Elm ST. that is a one way only! #3, I guess it is my fault, that my 8 yr old does not know how to control traffic, and stay safe, your statement, is a no-brainer, if I ever heard one! So. don't give this topic second thought, until a tragedy occurs, you will be eating those words, I pray to God, that you, will never be responsible for a child. Sleep tight!

there was never a crossing guard at elm and midland until the christian school opened at the now owned board of ed building. Even less need now since mater dei closed and there was never a guard at devon and midland

Again and again , The Board of Education members are passed up when it comes time to lay off town workers. Wouldn't it be better to run a small skeleton crew at the Board office, Rather than jeopardize the safety of the kids.? Lay off Cops and Crossing guards, then expect the kids to take chances crossing busy streets. And with all the safe drivers driving at safe speeds and NEVER taking their eyes off the road to send a text. Kearny doesn't give a shit anymore, just like Harrison. Dead children don't matter to any board members, If they do, then step up and take a few pay cuts so we can have the crossing Safety guards that our kids need and DESERVE.

While I don't disagree with you in theory, Kearny Parent, what you want is impossible. Two completely different budgets and they cannot be combined. The BOE budget cannot pay for the police dept. and the PD budget cannot pay for DPW expenses. It's a shame that cuts were taken at this level where children might be affected.

I am not so sure what the BOE has to do with crossing guards. I think it is correct to say, they are under the police budget. Whatever budget, they are under, does not matter. What does matter is the safety of the town's children! We all know about the big salaries of the big wigs, and other wasted monies used by the town. What the heck is the town not getting???? IT IS ABOUT THE KIDS! Take a look elsewhere, figure other options. Big taxes, less service Police, DPW, now crossing guards. Wake up, all those in charge!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Devon neighbor

there was never a crossing guard at elm and midland until the christian school opened at the now owned board of ed building. Even less need now since mater dei closed and there was never a guard at devon and midland

Edited by KOTW
Empty post.

Guest Devon St. neighbor

It is true, Devon St. never had a crossing guard, but, should have, 2 years in a row, there were children hit on Devon St, both times it was late afternoon when school was let out. Thank God, they were minor incidents, and the children were ok. The sun at that time of day, when heading south on any of those streets, is so bright, it is blinding. Today, was the first day, of many yet to come, when you are driving east on Midland ave, the morning sun, is also blinding. Those streets need to be protected! I leave for work in the morning, and quite often will drop my kids at school. I live rather close, but it is the peace of mind that I leave for work with. Now, my children must go straight home from school, and call me when they get in. They are not permitted to leave my home, till I return from work. I am grateful, that I live on Devon, and, it is not my children crossing over Elm St. Whomever was the decision maker on that call, sure screwed up! God, I hope I am wrong!