E. Newark Fire Dept. Superior

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

It is very disturbing that the Town of Harrison has a multi-million dollar budget for a Fire Department so inadequate that a neighboring 4 square block VOLUNTEER FD blows them away in every facet of fire service. If there has ever been a reason for Harrison to go to a FULL volunteer FD it was the Washington St. fire. By admission, the HFD say they could only master containing the fire from spreading until E. Newarks superior volunteer FD arrived and got their hands dirty actually extinguishing the fire. The ULTRA-HIGH PAID Harrison FD did not even try to put it out, they only stalled until trained firemen arrived.

Those wasted million$ of dollars could be spent much better on Harrison paying their debt down before bankruptcy hits. All of Harrisons town employees except the Police (they cannot strike) should be paid minimum wage for at least five years to put the town in better fiscal condition. There would be no change in service as most in the high paying positions are not qualified for those positions anyway. You can get better for less. Wal-Mart has proved that all over the country. Harrison needs a business person for a mayor, not a washed-up plumber.

It is very disturbing that the Town of Harrison has a multi-million dollar budget for a Fire Department so inadequate that a neighboring 4 square block VOLUNTEER FD blows them away in every facet of fire service. If there has ever been a reason for Harrison to go to a FULL volunteer FD it was the Washington St. fire. By admission, the HFD say they could only master containing the fire from spreading until E. Newarks superior volunteer FD arrived and got their hands dirty actually extinguishing the fire. The ULTRA-HIGH PAID Harrison FD did not even try to put it out, they only stalled until trained firemen arrived.

Those wasted million$ of dollars could be spent much better on Harrison paying their debt down before bankruptcy hits. All of Harrisons town employees except the Police (they cannot strike) should be paid minimum wage for at least five years to put the town in better fiscal condition. There would be no change in service as most in the high paying positions are not qualified for those positions anyway. You can get better for less. Wal-Mart has proved that all over the country. Harrison needs a business person for a mayor, not a washed-up plumber.

If this is indeed an East Newark FD Superior I would challenge you to post your name... Or are the only thing you are superior at is trying to start trouble. Well you failed.

Let's remember what a great job the Harrison FD did alone while communications were down holding the fire at bay. Hats off to you guy!

Good back up from East Newark and Kearny when they arrived. All departments contributed to saving the building. But top prize has to go to the HFD for holding it at bay for at least 10 minutes. Great job guys and keep up the good work.

I apologize I read it wrong. You of course are guest, I thought you posted your name as East Newark Dept..... Get a new hobby. Again great job to all departments. Harrison, East Newark, Kearny, Jersey City and Secaucus.

Guest Guest

Ever watch Charlie Brown when the teacher is talking,that's what you sound like. Blah blah blah,I'm sure E.Newark's help was appreciated but HFD did a great job with what they had on a well advanced fire. The firemen are always polite whenever I've seen them why do you continue to attack them. I've read other post & it seems their numbers have been cut quite a bit & their budget cut by more than 60% the last year & a half, yet I've seen no rallies or protests in fact nothing but proffesionalism & courtesy. I enjoy having the HFD there when I have needed them. Thank You HFD

Guest an observer

Stop bashing the FD their hands are so short handed due to the cuts made by the town and shame on the state of NJ for allowing this to happen. The table of organization had to be approved by the DOP and the DCA controls the purse strings in Harrison. Assuming that you are referring to the Washington St fire the ENFD vented the building making conditions in the building better for the men that were on the inside.

Harrison should have man power to man two engines and a ladder not 1 full engine and 1 partially manned engine. It is not the Fire Department or the Police that is the drain on the budget in Harrison it is the mismanaged debt and the cronyism hiring practices in town that are the drain on the budget pretty much your last sentance summed up the problem in Harrison.

Stop bashing the FD their hands are so short handed due to the cuts made by the town and shame on the state of NJ for allowing this to happen. The table of organization had to be approved by the DOP and the DCA controls the purse strings in Harrison. Assuming that you are referring to the Washington St fire the ENFD vented the building making conditions in the building better for the men that were on the inside.

Harrison should have man power to man two engines and a ladder not 1 full engine and 1 partially manned engine. It is not the Fire Department or the Police that is the drain on the budget in Harrison it is the mismanaged debt and the cronyism hiring practices in town that are the drain on the budget pretty much your last sentance summed up the problem in Harrison.

Agree 100%... lets understand something though... 3 men on an Engine.. that is not fully manned!! In my opinion Harrison should have at least a 4 man engine, a 3 man second engine and a 3 man ladder, any less is not acceptable. Would be good to have 4/4/4 though!

Guest Big Willie

Hey , this is all bullshit. First off when a town or city plans to redevelop an area of land as big as the land area in Harrison. New Schools Police and Fire Departments are drawn into their plans. These three things are integral to a new area of a town. We all see Condo's going up with new residents. Are we to believe that the three aforementioned parts. aren't needed. People in the new condos will Always behave themselves, They will never have fires, all of the kids will fit into our already overfilled schools.

The town NEEDS MORE FIREMEN ,NEEDS MORE POLICE AND NEEDS MORE SCHOOLS. Harrison FD should volunteer. Volunteer until a fire happens, then clock in and get paid for putting out a fire.

Guest Guest

A majority of the units are rented to single professionals. It probably won't have a direct impact on the school system. When the project is completed, or nearing completion at Harz Mountain, is should bring in a demand for additional police and we should also have better financial stability to do so due to taxes coming in on the units. Don't forget Red Bulls just paid a large chunck of change and will continue to pay their taxes going forward.

I am nothing but optimistic about the future of this town - I wish other would be as well, instead of adding to the negative fueled criticism, which in turn does NOTHING.

Hey , this is all bullshit. First off when a town or city plans to redevelop an area of land as big as the land area in Harrison. New Schools Police and Fire Departments are drawn into their plans. These three things are integral to a new area of a town. We all see Condo's going up with new residents. Are we to believe that the three aforementioned parts. aren't needed. People in the new condos will Always behave themselves, They will never have fires, all of the kids will fit into our already overfilled schools.

The town NEEDS MORE FIREMEN ,NEEDS MORE POLICE AND NEEDS MORE SCHOOLS. Harrison FD should volunteer. Volunteer until a fire happens, then clock in and get paid for putting out a fire.