What a Shocker! Disgraceful BOE...

Guest Oly Schmidt

Guest Dazed for Days

I thought you couldn't ask question at board of Ed meeting. Wasn't that the policy. No question just comments. Now the tables are turned and the rule is no longer good. Haven't you eten enough already. Ride off into the sunset you've had a good run. Don't be so greed.

Huh? Hey cowboy, want to try that again in English . . . and while you're sober?

Guest Guest

I know Marty Hoff, who taught my daughter. He seemed like an excellent teacher and I have no reason to think he didn't do a good job in his position.

I've met Dr. Baumgartner, who seemed like a genuine class act. Since she took over, test scores are up from what I hear.

We're owed an explanation why these people were not retained. That explanation should go far beyond the usual name-calling and general (i.e., fact-free) accusations that the people now in control of the Board seem to thrive on politically. This was all predictable when these political hacks were voted in. Everything's about cheap politics with them, so this is no surprise. The same thing gets played out on KOTW. It's childish.

All the same, if there are good reasons for Baumgartner and Hoff not to be retained, we are entitled to know what those reasons are. In particular, the people of Kearny have a right to know the specific reasons why Baumgartner and Hoff were not retained, reasons that go to the heart of their performance, not accusations about who they know or don't know, or innuendos of any sort.

Guest Guest

I know Marty Hoff, who taught my daughter. He seemed like an excellent teacher and I have no reason to think he didn't do a good job in his position.

I've met Dr. Baumgartner, who seemed like a genuine class act. Since she took over, test scores are up from what I hear.

We're owed an explanation why these people were not retained. That explanation should go far beyond the usual name-calling and general (i.e., fact-free) accusations that the people now in control of the Board seem to thrive on politically. This was all predictable when these political hacks were voted in. Everything's about cheap politics with them, so this is no surprise. The same thing gets played out on KOTW. It's childish.

All the same, if there are good reasons for Baumgartner and Hoff not to be retained, we are entitled to know what those reasons are. In particular, the people of Kearny have a right to know the specific reasons why Baumgartner and Hoff were not retained, reasons that go to the heart of their performance, not accusations about who they know or don't know, or innuendos of any sort.

Why don't you e-mail George King, Paul Castelli, Robert O'Malley, John Leadbeater and John Plaugic on kearnyschools.com and ask them for their reasons? You'll grown old waiting for an answer.

Guest Guest

Why don't you e-mail George King, Paul Castelli, Robert O'Malley, John Leadbeater and John Plaugic on kearnyschools.com and ask them for their reasons? You'll grown old waiting for an answer.

How can you email O'Malley? Isn' t he in Aruba with his buddy?

Guest Upset Observer

Hey Phonies,

There's a lot of truth to what you said. Councilwoman Cifelli-Pettigrew, ex-Councilwoman Cifelli-Sherry and Mayor's aide Torres should have been at the Council meeting doing their jobs rather than going to a Board of Education hearing on the non-renewal of a school principal and vice-principal. The threesome were at that Board of Ed meeting because they no longer have a Superintendent they can call or have lunch with on a regular basis, or a High School Principal they can call. The three are now hamstrung in getting family members and friends hired and/or promoted.

A Superintendent's recommendation and Principal's support are critical to any district employee's advancement, renewal or hire. The lady threesome has family members and/or friends in the Kearny school district. They claim to speak on principle when in reality they're just shilling. They also think that showing up at a Board of Education meeting and sitting together will somehow scare or intimidate their opponents. They did the same thing to get Frank DiGesere's retirement rescinded (even though test scores dropped under DiGesere). They certainly have no shame in playing the intimidation card when it comes to key personnel decisions. But when it comes to substantive issues like curriculum or teacher evaluation policies, those three were too busy ******** it up at *******.

By the way, I hear Mayor Santos is not supporting the same Board of Education candidates as the Shilling Lady Threesome. He's upset with how the school district has been used for personal gain. I think Madams Cifelli, Pettigrew and Torres are checkmated. Stay tuned.

I hear crickets. I guess that's to keep from this site their various family and friend connections who are employed in Kearny schools. If that information was in the public domain, how could they have any credibility when they speak at Board of Ed meetings?

BTW, now that Bensi's is closed, where's the party place for the shilling three?

Guest Dazed and Confused

Excuse me, but how could that information NOT be in the public domain. It's no secret that Torres and Sherry each have a relative employed by the boe. How could that be secret? And how does that reduce their credibility when they speak . . . which, BTW, hasn't happened, since I understand that only Pettigrew has spoken at any of the boe meetings. I don't get the connection between attending meetings or having an interest in what's going on (or not going on, unfortunately) being an impediment to vocalizing your opinions just because you have a family member employed by the boe. Seems to me that being a town resident for many, many years plus being a taxpayer gives you every right in the world to attend, speak, argue, witness, whatever. Are the Fab 5 really interested in a secret society, cause the total lack of disclosure on their part makes you wonder. Does the presence of people with an interest in the goings-on in this dysfunctional segment of town government somehow threaten board members?

Guest Guest

Excuse me, but how could that information NOT be in the public domain. It's no secret that Torres and Sherry each have a relative employed by the boe. How could that be secret? And how does that reduce their credibility when they speak . . . which, BTW, hasn't happened, since I understand that only Pettigrew has spoken at any of the boe meetings. I don't get the connection between attending meetings or having an interest in what's going on (or not going on, unfortunately) being an impediment to vocalizing your opinions just because you have a family member employed by the boe. Seems to me that being a town resident for many, many years plus being a taxpayer gives you every right in the world to attend, speak, argue, witness, whatever. Are the Fab 5 really interested in a secret society, cause the total lack of disclosure on their part makes you wonder. Does the presence of people with an interest in the goings-on in this dysfunctional segment of town government somehow threaten board members?

The last meeting I attended, Laura Pettigrew asked a very interesting question which the BOE members pretended they didn't understand what she was asking:

As a council person with a family member on the FB, when an issue about the FB arises that she cannot vote upon because of conflict is discussed, she is not allowed to be a part of the closed door discussion - she has to leave the meeting room.

She asked the BOE members who find themselves in the same situation - an issue to which they cannot cast a vote (because of conflict) arises, do those board members leave the room/meeting during the closed door discussion?

I understood her question completely. Interesting and something I never thought about, but do they? Should they? What is the protocol when an issue is discussed at a closed door meeting that is a conflict for one of the elected board members? hmmm

Guest Upset Observer

Really, that's how you're going to spin it?

"Torres and Sherry each have a relative employed by the boe" is NOT true. It's multiple relatives. Also don't forget Pettigrew.

I have no problem that you three decide to come and sit together at Board of Education meetings where administrator/personnel decisions are made. I also have no problem that you "vocalize" your opinions so long as the public knows your personal interests. Only the inside circle knows the intricate web of family and friends involved here. Let the public weigh the opinions you express and that of anyone else AFTER they know the employment relationships of family members and friends with the school district.

As to my opinion, yes I have a problem that the threesome of Torres/Cifelli Pettigrew/Cifelli Sherry only shows up (collectively or just Torres/Pettigrew) at Board of Education meetings when administrator decisions are being made, like DiGesere or principals. or when a family member or friend wants to be hired.

I'm not threatened. I think the opposite is true.

I hope you and the others in your threesome come to EVERY Board of Education meeting going forward. Prove me wrong.

Guest Joan Strickland

I have been reading these threads and with not choosing any side, I can say that there is a definite interest from people of politics in town with regard to the BOE. I have been active in the community for over 20 years now and have watched town business as well as BOE business. These men that many refer to as the fab5, was, as research shows, a name assigned to them by others, not as given to them by themselves as many here assume. I know none of the current BOE members personally, but are well aware of their affiliations. Of those "five" I know that only two have any type of political associations. One who was previously a councilman and the other has never held a publicly elected position (other than BOE), but has tried. Of the remaining three, none has ever been envolved in politics. In review of minutes of meetings over the last few years I can conclude no decisions made by these five or their counterparts prior indicating any kind of vote cast which would benefit a family member or friend. Appointments "appear" to be of the most qualified individual. Something Kearny has not witnessed in many, many years. The misconception that these "five" got rid of anyone is just that, a misconception. Long time administrators retired to protect their pensions as did thousands throughout the State. I urge everyone to go visit the DOE website to review Kearny's education report card and test scores for previous years. At best the district was stagnant, but most years showed a steady decline. I believe the best thing for our kids, and I mean that, I just don't use it, was administrators who have been here for over 30 years move on (retire) for the better of the district and not just sit back collecting while our education system is dormant. This district is ripe for a huge shake up, again, for our Kids, something everyone losses site of in the nonsense. Of the remaining "four", three are very entrenched in Town politics, (family,friends, appointed boards) and have numerous family and friends on the BOE payroll. They appear and "show" on paper that they very influenced by "others" and are "controlled". They run for the BOE to support/protect certain individuals, motions and votes cast, as shown in minutes, are for the people they are "told" to support and protect. All done with, as I mentioned previously, never the Kids in mind, just personal, political and family motivation as their only concern. I think what has happened here, is the same old way of doing things has been slowly being transformed and unfortunately there are people who like the entitlement and the power of having control of handing out jobs.

Guest kearnyboeWatchDog

Politics !!!!!!!!! The Fabulous Five must go!!!!!!!!! They told Mr. Hoff that they wanted him out because they could do " better".... So who did the fabulous five get????.... Mr. Avitable... Barbara Avitable's son...Best friend with the Fab 5....NEPOTISM...NEPOTISM...NEPOTISM....Mr. Avitable is a FIVE year inexperienced teacher who will now become a Vice Principal....Mr. Hoff has been an educator for over 30 years in the kearny school system. Did the Fab 5 get better for the Kearny Kids. No they did not!!! They got the YOUNG SON OF Barbara Avitable, who works for the Kearny Board of Ed and is best friends with the Fabulous 5. AKA...Paul Castelli, John Plaugic, George King, John Leadbeater, Robert O'Maley. How can they make anyone believe that Mr. Avitable, with only 5 years teaching experience under his belt,is better prepared than Mr. Hoff to be a Vice Principal? A 5 year teacher versus a 30 years of experience and success as a teacher. In the Police Department ,Deputy Chief George King and Detective John Plaugic would never allow a ROOKIE COP to take a Captain's position. This would put them all in a dangerous position. Now they are putting a ROOKIE TEACHER in a high profile decision making position. SHAME ON YOU FAB 5!!!!NEPOTISM.... FAVORTISM BASED ON KINSHIP...Take out the Fab 5!!!!!!!!!!! Take Back our schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Dazed and Confused

For someone who started a reply with the phrase "no choosing any side", you certainly didn't take long to contradict yourself. I just want to point out, Joan, that of the 4 board members that you state are "very influenced by others and are controlled", 2 of them have no family members employed by the BOE. Of the Fabulous Five, only ONE does not have a family member employed by the BOE (Castelli). And your misconception that the "FF" (Fab5) didn't get rid of anyone? Well, maybe you should give Baumgartner a call. Even after proving that test scores rose during her short stay at the high school, they bounced her, pure & simple. Since the KIDS are everyone's main concern (yeah, right), it appears that the boys weren't thinking of KIDS when they attempted to bounce or demote 3 employees who did not deserve such treatment. For better or worse, Kearny is a political town. We are in Hudson County after all. But because people on the boe, or town council for that matter, know people, and have family members employed by either entity should not come as such a shock. Has been this way for years and will probably continue. But hold your non-political five to the same standard as everyone else.

Guest Dazed and Confused

Well, well, well. Seems you have all of the answers. And your educational level is?

I have a doctorate from the School of Hard Knocks. Yours?

Guest really

I have been reading these threads and with not choosing any side, I can say that there is a definite interest from people of politics in town with regard to the BOE. I have been active in the community for over 20 years now and have watched town business as well as BOE business. These men that many refer to as the fab5, was, as research shows, a name assigned to them by others, not as given to them by themselves as many here assume. I know none of the current BOE members personally, but are well aware of their affiliations. Of those "five" I know that only two have any type of political associations. One who was previously a councilman and the other has never held a publicly elected position (other than BOE), but has tried. Of the remaining three, none has ever been envolved in politics. In review of minutes of meetings over the last few years I can conclude no decisions made by these five or their counterparts prior indicating any kind of vote cast which would benefit a family member or friend. Appointments "appear" to be of the most qualified individual. Something Kearny has not witnessed in many, many years. The misconception that these "five" got rid of anyone is just that, a misconception. Long time administrators retired to protect their pensions as did thousands throughout the State. I urge everyone to go visit the DOE website to review Kearny's education report card and test scores for previous years. At best the district was stagnant, but most years showed a steady decline. I believe the best thing for our kids, and I mean that, I just don't use it, was administrators who have been here for over 30 years move on (retire) for the better of the district and not just sit back collecting while our education system is dormant. This district is ripe for a huge shake up, again, for our Kids, something everyone losses site of in the nonsense. Of the remaining "four", three are very entrenched in Town politics, (family,friends, appointed boards) and have numerous family and friends on the BOE payroll. They appear and "show" on paper that they very influenced by "others" and are "controlled". They run for the BOE to support/protect certain individuals, motions and votes cast, as shown in minutes, are for the people they are "told" to support and protect. All done with, as I mentioned previously, never the Kids in mind, just personal, political and family motivation as their only concern. I think what has happened here, is the same old way of doing things has been slowly being transformed and unfortunately there are people who like the entitlement and the power of having control of handing out jobs.

I have a PHD in BS. I am an expert in disseminating rumors, innuendo and agendas of the worst sort. I have case studies from this web site to verify my claims, as a matter of fact my Doctoral thesis was based on the BS spewed across this web site by people who claim not to have picked a side in a particular issue. Listen if you take the time to post here you obviously have already chosen a side so please don't insult me and my PHD!!!!! If you dont think they got rid of anybody what would you call what they did to Baumgartner and Hoff Mrs. Strickland?

Guest kearnyboeWatchDog

What is going on with the Fab 5? The Superintendent Bolandi is an idiot and has done nothing except get his fiancee a big promotion. NEPOTISM! There is no direction or agenda except in getting their family member jobs even if they have to fire a 30 plus year veteran educator (Mr. Hoff) to hire a five year rookie teacher. (Mr. Avitable ) Barbara Avitable's son, as Vice Principal of Franklin School, who works for the Board of Ed. Now, who are they going to hire as Principal of Kearny High School? Let's see? Who is related to Paul Castelli? John Leadbeater? John Plaugic? Robert O'Malley? George King? (The Fabulous Five). It doesn't matter if they have experience or not, only thing that matters is nepotism. Whoever is related to any of them will be the next Kearny High School Principal. NEPOTISM IS THE KEY WORD. I've gone to almost every BOE meeting for the pass two years and NEPOTISM is the only driving force of the fabulous five and their worthless Superintendent Bolandi.

Fab 5 Must Go! Fab 5 Must Go! Fab 5 Must Go! Fab 5 Must Go! (Chant this in November's election) Take back our schools!

Guest Guest

What is going on with the Fab 5? The Superintendent Bolandi is an idiot and has done nothing except get his fiancee a big promotion. NEPOTISM! There is no direction or agenda except in getting their family member jobs even if they have to fire a 30 plus year veteran educator (Mr. Hoff) to hire a five year rookie teacher. (Mr. Avitable ) Barbara Avitable's son, as Vice Principal of Franklin School, who works for the Board of Ed. Now, who are they going to hire as Principal of Kearny High School? Let's see? Who is related to Paul Castelli? John Leadbeater? John Plaugic? Robert O'Malley? George King? (The Fabulous Five). It doesn't matter if they have experience or not, only thing that matters is nepotism. Whoever is related to any of them will be the next Kearny High School Principal. NEPOTISM IS THE KEY WORD. I've gone to almost every BOE meeting for the pass two years and NEPOTISM is the only driving force of the fabulous five and their worthless Superintendent Bolandi.

Fab 5 Must Go! Fab 5 Must Go! Fab 5 Must Go! Fab 5 Must Go! (Chant this in November's election) Take back our schools!

Abso-freakin'-lutely right! This is exactly what these guys do, any time they get a chance? Whoever voted for these assholes, shame on you!

Guest Guest

Are you for real. Who is Avitable related to. She is Digeseres best friend. Sounds to me like this is you Bert. Whats the matter? Couldn't get the Fab 5 to bring you back? Since you have been going to almost all the meeting over the last 2 years, name 1 person these 5 have given a job to that is related to any of them. As always truth doesn't matter to you.

Guest Guest

Are you for real. Who is Avitable related to. She is Digeseres best friend. Sounds to me like this is you Bert. Whats the matter? Couldn't get the Fab 5 to bring you back? Since you have been going to almost all the meeting over the last 2 years, name 1 person these 5 have given a job to that is related to any of them. As always truth doesn't matter to you.

I don't believe Bert ******* has been to any board meetings, never mind "almost all" over the last 2 years. You don't know what you're talking about. What a shock.

Guest Diaz Watch

Politics !!!!!!!!! The Fabulous Five must go!!!!!!!!! They told Mr. Hoff that they wanted him out because they could do " better".... So who did the fabulous five get????.... Mr. Avitable... Barbara Avitable's son...Best friend with the Fab 5....NEPOTISM...NEPOTISM...NEPOTISM....Mr. Avitable is a FIVE year inexperienced teacher who will now become a Vice Principal....Mr. Hoff has been an educator for over 30 years in the kearny school system. Did the Fab 5 get better for the Kearny Kids. No they did not!!! They got the YOUNG SON OF Barbara Avitable, who works for the Kearny Board of Ed and is best friends with the Fabulous 5. AKA...Paul Castelli, John Plaugic, George King, John Leadbeater, Robert O'Maley. How can they make anyone believe that Mr. Avitable, with only 5 years teaching experience under his belt,is better prepared than Mr. Hoff to be a Vice Principal? A 5 year teacher versus a 30 years of experience and success as a teacher. In the Police Department ,Deputy Chief George King and Detective John Plaugic would never allow a ROOKIE COP to take a Captain's position. This would put them all in a dangerous position. Now they are putting a ROOKIE TEACHER in a high profile decision making position. SHAME ON YOU FAB 5!!!!NEPOTISM.... FAVORTISM BASED ON KINSHIP...Take out the Fab 5!!!!!!!!!!! Take Back our schools!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too Funny !!! Barbara Avitable is BEST FRIENDS with the Fab 5 ???? What has this web site posts come to ??? Bert you are nuts for going after the Fab 5, they are by far your ONLY chance of ever getting Reconsidered for a job, the other four will plane out laugh in your face, be careful what your doing!! Bt the way, let barbara know who she is friends with.........what a laugh !!!!!

Guest Nuts, Crazy or Kookoo

Bert, take a deep breath, and focus on your friend Campbell's campaign. Do not be so mad because you did not get the VP job at Franklin. By the way, go and check every appointment in the last 2 years and you will confirm that not ONE new hire has been a friend or family member of the Fab 5, not 1 !!!!! That is why they are getting attacked these days, because people around Town can no longer GIVE their FRIENDS and FAMILY members jobs!!!! Unless it's a sister-in-law who is really not your sister-in-law, or a daughter!!!!! :huh: By the way, the woman who just took a job in Harrison and the VP who went back to KHS, always claimed NO AFFILIATION with the great gazzu prior to being not tenured, but now they are saying they got released for being associated with the great gazzu, so they were either LYING before or LYING NOW but either way they were LYING.

Guest Guest

Does 3 out of 5 count? July, 2010, Castelli, King & O'Malley all voted yes on the appointment of "future" BOE member John Plaugic's son as a teacher.

Guest Guest

Not who is she related to but WHO she is friends with. Cops kids get jobs, the electrician tries to hook himself up, the mayoral guy hooks up anyone who'll vote for him and then there's John Campbell. The mystery behind the Fab5. Running for the board again even though previous ethics violations are hanging over his head. The puppetmaster to the Fab5, John Campbell is her friend. It wasn't so long ago that the Fab5 denied any involvement with him. We all know how that turned out...

Guest kearnyboeWatchDog

I hope you are right on the money and the Fabulous 5 ******* ***** out of a ** ******.Why? Because that guarantees that the Fabulous 5 are done! Cooked! Finished! First of all, the Fab 5's position is a very weak one at best and they are not even a solid 5 votes. Furthermore, if they lose Castelli, Campbell and Martin in this election they will be pushed back ten or more years. Thirdly and most important, of all, getting that mad dog, arrogant *** of a *****, ****, upset at you is a political mistake in this town. ****? Now there's a name I haven't heard in awhile, but exactly what this upcoming election needs! I,m glad you think I'm **** because I'm going to reach out to him and asks for his involvement in this November's election. I didn't know that the Fabulous 5 screwed him, but now I do and that's great news for all who want the Fab 5 and their buddies, namely, Campbell, Martin and Castelli out. Let me tell you something, ****, carries an easy 400 or more votes, and can spoil your electoral plans. Been there and done that! I'm excited and hopeful now because this election will be a slam dunk! ****'s numerous ex students, including my son and daughter, are all of voting age and he has a following in this town whether you like him or not. I personally don't like that arrogant *** of a *****, ****, one bit, I find him overbearing, full of himself, crude, and crazy but somewhat fearless.I'm definitely going to reach out to him and I certainly hope you are right that the Fabulous 5 did indeed screw him. That will only assist in their inevitable demise.

Yes, you may continue to believe I'm ***, it doesn't bother me at all and I'm sure, knowing, ****'s arrogant, full of himself attitude, he doesn't give a hoot either. He's that special ingredient this election needed. I'm excited I can wait for November!

PS. DO THE RIGHT THING FOR OUR KIDS! Bring back Frank Degesere as Superintendendent of Schools and get rid of that idiot Bolandi. Bring back Robert Sprague as Assistant Superintendent of Schools and Dave Stevenson and Laura Marks as BOE members. When these people were part of the school system the district flourished. Now it's in a very sad state of affairs.

PSS. Do NOT vote for Campbell, Castelli or Martin in the November Election.

PSSS. Vote for Cecelia Lindenfelser, Deborah Lowry, and BOE incumbent, Doran.

Edited by KOTW
Content.