Kearny Community

Guest Jersey Girl

Guest Jersey Girl

Hi you all, Just landed in your little town and cannot understand the gibberish on this site about taxes. This town seems to be full of very friendly, helpful people. It is a pleasure to walk down the street in front of my new home and be able to start my car, if I forget something, run back in the house and come out to see my car still there. My children love their new school, they were welcomed by a caring teacher and the other kids were nice to them. They fit in from the start with no bullying or touting from the other kids. This town is like I said, friendly.

I will give you that the taxes are quite a bit, but so was the $359,000 I had to pay for our one family with a shared driveway. Thank God my neighbor is very nice, we both respect each others driveway needs. Like I said, friendly town.

One of the reasons we chose the town of Kearny to live in and raise our family is the location. New York City is a short drive away, the lake region is a short ride, the Jersey shore is a short drive, the shopping malls are a short drive, the airport is a short drive....everything you need is a short drive. If adventure is not in our agenda for the day, our backyard is a very friendly place.

Thank you for the opportunity of expressing our joy of becoming a new member of this community. Taxes, school costs, utility costs, protective services all play a role in our everyday existence. If quality is achieved for the dollar then we can all benefit from a healthy place to live.

Guest Kearny Police

I suggest that you not leave your car running (to warm it up) because a couple of cars have been stolen as they warmed up. It's not as friendly as you would like it to be so be careful.

Guest Long time Kearnyite

Yes, do not leave your keys in the car. Even if it's locked, I had it broken into while parked in the manor section. My daughter had hers stolen off Pleasant Pl. (Locked by the way) and my son on Davis Ave. To us that have lived here for generations, all is not what it should be and it used to be sort of a suburb. but is now an urban town. Wait til your kids get to the high school. For you newcomers, welcome, it was friendlier when everyone understood what the other one was saying, but it depends on what you are used to. One true fact is you can expect taxes to go up substantially every year.

Guest Two Words

Remote Starter!

There's no chance of anyone stealing your car then, since you have the keys, your steering wheel is locked and if you hit the brake your car shuts down. :D

Guest Guest 99

Welcome to town, Jersey Girl. Don't let the negative talk get to you. Every community changes over the years, both in good and bad ways. Just because some people can not accept it doesn't mean we're all miserable.

As for the comment about Kearny being friendlier when eveyone understood what the other one was saying, some people have forgotten their childhood friends Italian, Lithuanian, Polish or even Scottish (lol) grandparents who none of us could understand.

A community is what the people make it.

Guest Long time Kearnyite

Jersey Girl,

I agree, a community is what the people make it. Take a ride on Kearny Ave. some Fri. or Sat. nite, from Midland Ave. down to Johnston Ave., and then again on litter strewn Sun. morning.

On the other hand, we do welcome you and we're not all miserable, but the reality of the changes and the high cost of them is difficult.

Guest Guest 99
Jersey Girl,

I agree, a community is what the people make it. Take a ride on Kearny Ave. some Fri. or Sat. nite, from Midland Ave. down to Johnston Ave., and then again on litter strewn Sun. morning.

A very true statement. The area you speak of is all retail and too many businesses put out trash on Saturday night for Monday pickup in. This and the fact that they use insufficient containers leads to most of the litter and debri on Kearny Avenue.

Guest Long Time Kearnyite

Yes, this is true. There is an ordinance prohibiting this which used to be enforced. Not any more I guess. Hire someone to go out on the weekend and write tickets, we pay enough taxes to do so and this is a quality of life issue. In fairness, not all of the debris and litter is from the stores, I have personally asked people just walking on Kearny Ave, to pick up the banana skins they tossed on the sidewalk. It's the caliber of some residents.

Archived