The passing of a legend

exbluetider

yes , three or four years of pro play ,  that is the point , he was a pro player what does this other guy got to show for his talent..

He played professional soccer in the 'only' league that was around at that time.

He could have played in the other professional leagues, but chose soccer because it was the 'popular' sport in our area.

So Kevin Hoey is still #1 in Harrison sports, becaause he could have gone 'Pro' in 'several' sports at that time, while no one else can lay claim to that accomplishment.

Guest the real legend passed wed.

The legend who passed was coach Borgess he's the one the got Harrison Football rolling that's a legend wake up you nitwits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stadium Should be called Borgess Memorial Stadium- nobody ever meant more to harrison football than him

What a joke.  Ray Lucas never gave anything back to the town who did so much for him.  When asked at speak at a football dinner, he wouldn't do it uless he got paid for it.  Didn't make it in the pros for too long did he?

He didn't buy jackets for the kids? I don't think you know what your talking about, just because he doesn't have his picture in the paper everytime he helps someone or does something for someone doesn't mean he hasn't done for any of the kids in this town. I recall him being on channel 35 going into the schools talking to classes so you have a lot of nerve.

Another thing I recall him hobbling up to the stage the day after knee surgery (both knees) to do the dinner, that is BS about getting paid, he never forgot his roots and never will. The recreation chose to get someone else, their loss.

What a joke.  Ray Lucas never gave anything back to the town who did so much for him.  When asked at speak at a football dinner, he wouldn't do it uless he got paid for it.  Didn't make it in the pros for too long did he?

10 years Honey... your luck if you make it past the first year in the NFL. By the way what team did you play for? Did you graduate High School?

and you're a never was...my God how can you no talents demean either one of them.?

Raymond reached the highest level you can reach as a professional football player....starting quarterback in the NFL.Not just for one team but several teams

Kevin in his prime was considered one of the best goal keepers in the freaking world.

Raymond was a 2000pt scorer in h.s. offered several colllege scholarships to play b-ball in college

Kevin played b-ball on a scholarship in college for Seton Hall

They both took different paths in life but they were great fans of each others 'accomplishments

They performed at different times but both brought great honor to Harrison High.

Kevin had seven beautiful daughters, so far Raymond only has three.

The real Irony is that they both had a chance to play for the recently deceased great coach Ralph Borgess 3 decades apart. So all of you get up off your asses,off your pc,put your freaking hands together and celebrate the fact you even had a chance to know about them.They were thirty years apart so pray you're around for the next Kevin or Raymond...they may never pass this way again .Laissez les bon temps roulez

Well said......even tho I am from the "Hoey" era, of which I'm very proud, the accomplishments of Ray Lucas were outstanding. Unfortunately I moved out of town before Ray had his day in the sun and I never got to see him proform, but it brought a smile to my face everytime it was mentioned he came from a small blue-collar town in Northern New Jersey called Harrison. We should be proud to have produced two outstanding athletes, just as Kearny should be proud of producing Meola, Harkes and Ramos.

10 years Honey... your luck if you make it past the first year in the NFL. By the way what team did you play for? Did you graduate High School?

I REMEMBER RAY AND HIS JETS TEAM MATES CAME TO HARRISON HIGH SCHOOL FOR A FUNDRAISER (THINK IT WAS CAMP FATIMA) THEY PLAYED BASKETBALL, SIGNED AUTOGRAPHS AND TOOK PICTURES WITH ALL THE CHILDREN, I KNOW MY KIDS LOVED IT THE YEARS THEY DID HAVE THIS. IT WAS A WONDERFULL THING TO DO FOR HARRISON, THANK YOU RAY, YOU SIR ARE A GREAT PERSON IN OUR (HARRISON) EYES AND THE EYES OF OUR CHILDREN, OF COURSE THOSE THAT DO REMEMBER AND LET THEIR CHILDREN KNOW THAT PEOPLE MAKE A DIFFERENCE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IN LIFE.

You are ill informed.  Kevin Hoey played professional soccer in the only professional league around at the time.  He could have played in several professional sports but chose soccer which was popular in this area even if not nationally

Ray Lucas is also one of Harrison's best athletes, but it was Kevin who excelled in more different sports at the high school level.  This probably makes him Harrison Highs' best all time athlete.

WHY COMPARE, THESE TWO GENTLEMEN WERE BOTH OUTSTANDING ATHLETES, BUT MORE THAN THAT THEY ARE VERY NICE PEOPLE THAT MOST LIKELY MADE A DIFFERENCE IN SOMEONES LIFE.

WHY COMPARE, THESE TWO GENTLEMEN WERE BOTH OUTSTANDING ATHLETES, BUT MORE THAN THAT THEY ARE VERY NICE PEOPLE THAT MOST LIKELY MADE A DIFFERENCE IN SOMEONES LIFE.

Have you forgotten Sam Dente who played many years of major league baseball.?

There were many good athletes that came from Harrison.

But among them all, "Apples" was the best. :ph34r:

Guest Senior Town Resident

But among them all, "Apples" was the best. :ph34r:

Speaking of Apples, he's back in town for a visit, saw him in town hall.

But among them all, "Apples" was the best. :blink:

If I'm not mistaken Sam Dente came from Kearny, but that still doesn't detract from his accomplishments. As a matter of fact there were many less major league teams then so it was harder to make it to the "bigs" in those days. However he did have a connection to Harrison in that he owned The Ship Ahoy tavern on the corner of 4th and Hamilton Sts. And if memory severs me right Joe Dobosh deceased Harrison Policeman played with Sam at KHS.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jackie Hoey
you  got to be kidding,  red bull is not beer./

Mr. Unregistered - I very rarely visit this site. However, whenever my father (Kevin Hoey) is the topic, you, for some reason, need to bash him. May I ask if you knew him? I'm going to guess you only knew of him. As a matter of fact I bet my last dollar you didn't know him at all....... he never drank beer! You constantly reference beer when you speak of him, that's not the case.

You are now speaking ill of a dead man. Why don't you borrow some b&^%$ and

at the very least, be a man and stand behind your words with a name & face instead of "unregistered".

Here's a "Kevin story" I'm sure you only heard part of. He was in a soccer game and caused a riot within the stadium. Now I know you've heard of the riot, but do you know why? He was DEFENDING the only black man on his team who was being taunted by the opposing players and fans. Its ironic how the game of telephone is played.

I'm not sure if you're male or female, I would hope female considering your infatuation with Ray Lucas. I love Ray but he's no Saint. But I, unlike you, respect people and will not sit here and bash him.

Perhaps you should discuss someone you really know, maybe you can write about yourself.

Yes my father wasn't the best example, individual in his early years. However, he has more than made up for it. He had such unconditional love for his daughters and grandchildren. He was a moral, respectful gentleman. He didn't care if you were the President or a homeless man, you got the same about of respect.

And that, he has passed onto us. Love unconditionally, Respect your fellow man (regardless of your DISTATE for him), Enjoy the simple things in life, for those are the most important.

I can only hope you are touched by someone in your lifetime as special as my father.

He is terribly missed!

Mr. Unregistered - I very rarely visit this site.  However, whenever my father (Kevin Hoey) is the topic, you, for some reason, need to bash him.  May I ask if you knew him?  I'm going to guess you only knew of him.  As a matter of fact I bet my last dollar you didn't know him at all....... he never drank beer!  You constantly reference beer when you speak of him, that's not the case.

You are now speaking ill of a dead man.  Why don't you borrow some b&^%$ and

at the very least, be a man and stand behind your words with a name & face instead of "unregistered". 

Here's a "Kevin story" I'm sure you only heard part of.  He was in a soccer game and caused a riot within the stadium.  Now I know you've heard of the riot, but do you know why?  He was DEFENDING the only black man on his team who was being taunted by the opposing players and fans.  Its ironic how the game of telephone is played. 

I'm not sure if you're male or female, I would hope female considering your infatuation with Ray Lucas.  I love Ray but he's no Saint.  But I, unlike you, respect people and will not sit here and bash him. 

Perhaps you should discuss someone you really know, maybe you can write about yourself.

Yes my father wasn't the best example, individual in his early years.  However, he has more than made up for it.  He had such unconditional love for his daughters and grandchildren.  He was a moral, respectful gentleman.  He didn't care if you were the President or a homeless man, you got the same about of respect. 

And that, he has passed onto us.  Love unconditionally, Respect your fellow man (regardless of your DISTATE for him), Enjoy the simple things in life, for those are the most important.

I can only hope you are touched by someone in your lifetime as special as my father. 

He is terribly missed!

Well said Jackie. I couldn't agree more. Everyone has faults. Regardless, your dad was a great athlete, dad, grandfather and gentleman. I have known him for 30 years, and I know how proud he was of his girls and grandkids. We all miss him!

Well said Jackie.  I couldn't agree more.  Everyone has faults.  Regardless, your dad was a great athlete, dad, grandfather and gentleman.  I have known him for 30 years, and I know how proud he was of his girls and grandkids.  We all miss him!

Here-Here- I agree with you. Whoever is talking negative about Kevin, did not know the man. He was a good man. He was a very proud father and grandfather, I would see him often in the park with his grand kids when I was there with mine. He could not speak enough about his daughters and grandchildren. Oh yes, the beer thing cracks me up. He never drank beer, so it is certain that this person did not know the man.

Mr. Unregistered - I very rarely visit this site.  However, whenever my father (Kevin Hoey) is the topic, you, for some reason, need to bash him.  May I ask if you knew him?  I'm going to guess you only knew of him.  As a matter of fact I bet my last dollar you didn't know him at all....... he never drank beer!  You constantly reference beer when you speak of him, that's not the case.

You are now speaking ill of a dead man.  Why don't you borrow some b&^%$ and

Here's a "Kevin story" I'm sure you only heard part of.  He was in a soccer game and caused a riot within the stadium.  Now I know you've heard of the riot, but do you know why?  He was DEFENDING the only black man on his team who was being taunted by the opposing players and fans.  Its ironic how the game of telephone is played. 

I'm not sure if you're male or female, I would hope female considering your infatuation with Ray Lucas.  I love Ray but he's no Saint.  But I, unlike you, respect people and will not sit here and bash him. 

Yes my father wasn't the best example, individual in his early years.  However, he has more than made up for it.  He had such unconditional love for his daughters and grandchildren.  He was a moral, respectful gentleman.  He didn't care if you were the President or a homeless man, you got the same about of respect. 

And that, he has passed onto us.  Love unconditionally, Respect your fellow man (regardless of your DISTATE for him), Enjoy the simple things in life, for those are the most important.

He is terribly missed!

Jackie,

My wish is that my kids have the same love and respect for me that you and your sisters have for Kevin.

As someone who grew-up with your dad I can only say that he was and is a gentleman. I can honestly say that in all the years I knew Kevin I never heard him say one disparaging word against anyone. We all know what a great athlete he was but the metal of the man was much greater. Hold your rememberances close to your heart and pass his legacy on to your chikldren. Let them never forget their grandfather was a MAN first.

Guest Jackie
Jackie,

My wish is that my kids have the same love and respect for me that you and your sisters have for Kevin.

As someone who grew-up with your dad I can only say that he was and is a gentleman. I can honestly say that in all the years I knew Kevin I never heard him say one disparaging word against anyone. We all know what a great athlete he was but the metal of the man was much greater. Hold your rememberances close to your heart and pass his legacy on to your chikldren. Let them never forget their grandfather was a MAN first.

Thank you for your kind words, the mark of a gentleman.

The condolences my family and I have received whether in person, a card, or a kind thought passed on, mean more than we can say. They have and continue to bring a great deal of comfort during a very difficult time.

Guest FRIENDS OF THE TAXPAYERS

JACKIE

CAN I ASK YOU ONE QUESTION COME TO THE PARK BY THE POSTOFFICE ON FRIDAY AT 1:30PM TO ASK U IF U WANT BUT RESPOND TO THIS AD TO LET ME KNOW YES OR NO OK

NO IM NOT A MILLLAN TEAM OR MAYOR TEAM OK :D