Open Letter to JL

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Dear JL read your letter in the journal, as far as salaries u do realize they are covered by a union contract with a salary guide. as far as illegal students, if you are aware of these students why JL are u not reporting them. Maybe because your exaggerating a litte or maybe a lot. Seems to me JL your grasping for straws with an issue that is no longer a hot topic.

Guest inside eyes

Dear JL read your letter in the journal, as far as salaries u do realize they are covered by a union contract with a salary guide. as far as illegal students, if you are aware of these students why JL are u not reporting them. Maybe because your exaggerating a litte or maybe a lot. Seems to me JL your grasping for straws with an issue that is no longer a hot topic.

Just to put you in your place, we do have a great number of people using our schools who live outside the district. Why don't we go after these people? Simple. The more kids on the rolls, the more state aid--as little as it might be. We had, a number of years ago, retired police officers working for the BOE as a part of the residency office. These gentlemen would go into the home of said residents and search for their cloths, their bed, and official paper work stating that, if these kids were going to our schools, using addresses, that their parents had to live at the said address or must give legal guardianship of said kids to the people who did live at the said address. We cought a great number of kids using phony addresses. At one time, one of the BOE members said that she would give the illegal kid (who was on the football team and other sport teams--who really lived in Newark) a place to live in her house--nice, but the parents have to give up their kid, who is a tax break for them. The BOE member was being nice but you are supposed to protect the citizens of Kearny from having to pay for kids who don't live in Kearny. Too liberal with our taxes is the only way to describe this person. Among many finds, these retired policemen found a student who lived in Brooklyn, NY, who was using a Chinese Restaurant on Kearny Avenue as her address--that was an easy one to catch. By the way the retired policemen were basically asked to leave because they were doing their jobs to aggressively. If we have a residency office today, I don't think the students are investigated as they were in the past.

So JL is not "grasping for straws," he is really telling it like it is.

Guest GUEST

What is your excuse for SUPERINTENDANT AND ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDAT SALARIES????

Excuse me D.S., MORON it`s been a big topic for a long time. I know alot of people who complained about illegal students going to our Kearny Schools. Just ride down Broad st Newark nj 6:30 AM TO 8:00 AM ILLEGAL STUDENTS waiting for the bus to Kearny wearing Kearny uniform shirts. Answer this D.S. how many times was the subject of ILLEGAL STUDENTS talked about at B.O.E. meetings. Before you answer, remember the OBSERVER is listening.

Guest John Leadbeater

Dear Guest and I use that VERY lightly,

If the Board Of Education was serious about salaries they would have negotiated reduced salaries when they knew the amount of Principals and Vice-Principles that were going to retire left. As far as I am concerned the 9 board members should have made those deals long before they brought back the administrator and assistant administrators.

Now as far as your illegal students comment, lets call it like it is. You are probably one of the people who has benefitted from reducing hours for the officer who is supposed to investigate these students. You and I both know what I stated in the paper is TRUE. Check it out yourself when you are at work!!!

Guest Guest

What is your excuse for SUPERINTENDANT AND ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDAT SALARIES????

Excuse me D.S., MORON it`s been a big topic for a long time. I know alot of people who complained about illegal students going to our Kearny Schools. Just ride down Broad st Newark nj 6:30 AM TO 8:00 AM ILLEGAL STUDENTS waiting for the bus to Kearny wearing Kearny uniform shirts. Answer this D.S. how many times was the subject of ILLEGAL STUDENTS talked about at B.O.E. meetings. Before you answer, remember the OBSERVER is listening.

Morons who live in glass houses should learn to spell before they throw stones.

Guest Guest

Now the people want a residency office stacked with high paying relatives and patonage jobs to be created. Maybe the town can use the $2 million dollar Midland Ave. buiding they purchased for some unknown reason once it is suited for occupancy. There have been so many illegal apartments created in Kearny because it has gone unchecked for so long that you will never catch up. There will be no such thing because many of these illegal apartments are owned by members of the Kearny Govt. and friends. Do you think they are gonna turn themselves or family members in. Don't think so! The part of this situation being outrageous is as to why any person would be stupid enough to risk fines to get their kid(s) into one of the worst school systems in NJ. At least one teacher or other school official that we know about is a member in good standing in the Aryan Nation and hates all minorities. If I lived in Kearny I would try to get my child into a school system that ranks better than 230th in the state. Who in their right mind would want their child to go to 230th in NJ school system anyway? Things are very bad with the B.O.E. and academics at the schools now. Whats the magic bullet to fix it?

Guest Guest

Dear Guest and I use that VERY lightly,

If the Board Of Education was serious about salaries they would have negotiated reduced salaries when they knew the amount of Principals and Vice-Principles that were going to retire left. As far as I am concerned the 9 board members should have made those deals long before they brought back the administrator and assistant administrators.

Now as far as your illegal students comment, lets call it like it is. You are probably one of the people who has benefitted from reducing hours for the officer who is supposed to investigate these students. You and I both know what I stated in the paper is TRUE. Check it out yourself when you are at work

ATTENTION VOTERS Beware of candidates that just throw stuff out there to see what sticks just to get elected. They are playing you for fools. JL's ad and post are a perfect example of that type of candidate. He has plenty to say, and says it with great confidence but doesn't have a clue of the facts, or does but purposely misrepresents the facts for his own needs. Yes, he is grasping for straws.

The BOE has a full time residency office with strict documentation requirements and still employes retired police officers to investigate residency and I must say, very successfully. When a student is found to be from another town, the BOE acts immediately to remove the student. One of the biggest problems any BOE faces is that the law protects the student first and the school district has to allow that student to attend while the legal proccess runs it's course. JL doesn't mention any of this because he doesn't know anything about the law, the proccess or the residency office. He is just spitting out what he thinks voters want to hear so he can get elected.

As far as his comments about administrative salaries, I'm very surprised by his lack of knowledge about union contracts and negotiations, considering he spent his entire life making a living in the "Union" arena and now draws his disability pension from there. There is currently a negotiated salary guide in place in the contract and when the principals and vice principals were hired, they all started on the first step of the guide. Once again, JL doesn't mention any of this because he doesn't have any knowledge of the contract, the guide or the process that took place with the hiring of the principals or the vice principals and again is just spitting out what he thinks voters want to hear so he can get elected. Grasping for straws and deceiving.

So what is going to happen, JL, if elected is going to walk into the BOE office and announce "There's a new sheriff in town and his name is JL". Then he is going to tear up all the negotiated contracts that are in place and tell the administrators "Now this is what you are going to do". Yeah OK, and I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested. I wonder what would have happened if someone walked into JL's union office and made that announcement?

Then JL is going to find four classrooms full of illegal students, march them out of the building and then go back in the building and layoff four teachers.

The lawyers in town should all be excited about JL running because if elected, they are all going to be very busy. Wait till you see those costs.

VOTERS BEWARE

Guest John Leadbeater

ATTENTION VOTERS Beware of candidates that just throw stuff out there to see what sticks just to get elected. They are playing you for fools. JL's ad and post are a perfect example of that type of candidate. He has plenty to say, and says it with great confidence but doesn't have a clue of the facts, or does but purposely misrepresents the facts for his own needs. Yes, he is grasping for straws.

The BOE has a full time residency office with strict documentation requirements and still employes retired police officers to investigate residency and I must say, very successfully. When a student is found to be from another town, the BOE acts immediately to remove the student. One of the biggest problems any BOE faces is that the law protects the student first and the school district has to allow that student to attend while the legal proccess runs it's course. JL doesn't mention any of this because he doesn't know anything about the law, the proccess or the residency office. He is just spitting out what he thinks voters want to hear so he can get elected.

As far as his comments about administrative salaries, I'm very surprised by his lack of knowledge about union contracts and negotiations, considering he spent his entire life making a living in the "Union" arena and now draws his disability pension from there. There is currently a negotiated salary guide in place in the contract and when the principals and vice principals were hired, they all started on the first step of the guide. Once again, JL doesn't mention any of this because he doesn't have any knowledge of the contract, the guide or the process that took place with the hiring of the principals or the vice principals and again is just spitting out what he thinks voters want to hear so he can get elected. Grasping for straws and deceiving.

So what is going to happen, JL, if elected is going to walk into the BOE office and announce "There's a new sheriff in town and his name is JL". Then he is going to tear up all the negotiated contracts that are in place and tell the administrators "Now this is what you are going to do". Yeah OK, and I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested. I wonder what would have happened if someone walked into JL's union office and made that announcement?

Then JL is going to find four classrooms full of illegal students, march them out of the building and then go back in the building and layoff four teachers.

The lawyers in town should all be excited about JL running because if elected, they are all going to be very busy. Wait till you see those costs.

VOTERS BEWARE

Dear Guest,

Once again you proved my point. You are a coward. All of your bullpoints are BS. When you negotiate contracts you ALWAYS try to reduce salaries for the new employees going into the job. This way you do not affect anyone serving in that capacity. I negotiated contracts representing MY union for more then 20 years and also negotiated contract with town employees for 10 years. Don't you try to tell me what I know. I know both sides. You are an ass kissing piece of shit hiding behind your keyboard under "Guest". Lets call it like we see it. Yes there is a residency officer and yes I know all about how he can catch them but the BOE still has to go thru the process of getting rid of them. I say if we do our job right before school starts they would never be here in the first place.

As far as laying teachers off, I never laid anyone off while representing the town council. Check for yourself. I believe I must have hit a nerve and you are worried about YOUR job. Too bad. Now tell the truth, but I am sure with election day just 3 days away you will be touting more BS on here so enjoy. I hope you still have a job to go to tomorrow, so that this venom and lies you post about me will cease.

I know I am a big mouth but at least I tell the TRUTH, not like you.

Just to put you in your place, we do have a great number of people using our schools who live outside the district. Why don't we go after these people? Simple. The more kids on the rolls, the more state aid--as little as it might be. We had, a number of years ago, retired police officers working for the BOE as a part of the residency office. These gentlemen would go into the home of said residents and search for their cloths, their bed, and official paper work stating that, if these kids were going to our schools, using addresses, that their parents had to live at the said address or must give legal guardianship of said kids to the people who did live at the said address. We cought a great number of kids using phony addresses. At one time, one of the BOE members said that she would give the illegal kid (who was on the football team and other sport teams--who really lived in Newark) a place to live in her house--nice, but the parents have to give up their kid, who is a tax break for them. The BOE member was being nice but you are supposed to protect the citizens of Kearny from having to pay for kids who don't live in Kearny. Too liberal with our taxes is the only way to describe this person. Among many finds, these retired policemen found a student who lived in Brooklyn, NY, who was using a Chinese Restaurant on Kearny Avenue as her address--that was an easy one to catch. By the way the retired policemen were basically asked to leave because they were doing their jobs to aggressively. If we have a residency office today, I don't think the students are investigated as they were in the past.

So JL is not "grasping for straws," he is really telling it like it is.

We do have a residency officer in town and he does in fact still go to home to check address's. He's been to my 6 family house checking on students who live here. But if you really want to catch those who live in other towns " illegal" students. Just hop on any NJ transit bus at the corner of Johnston ave and Kearny ave around 8am. I have and have seen in access of 12+ dressed in KHS uniforms coming in from Harrison

Guest Pot Calling Kettle Black

VOTERS BEWARE

TALK ABOUT TELLING THE VOTERS BS. YOU ARE ALSO A HYPOCRITE! YOU ARE MAKING UP THINGS THAT JL IS GOING TO DO ONCE ELECTED! TEARING UP UNION CONTRACTS, MARCHING KIDS OUT OF THE CLASSROOM AND LAYING OFF TEACHERS! SURE SOUNDS LIKE YOU MY FRIEND ARE THE ONE GRASPING FOR STRAWS.......THE END IS NEAR FOR YOU AND THE PUPPETS!!! JUST LIKE THE CRAP THAT WAS FLYING LAST YEAR ABOUT 3 HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES. THAT THEY WERE GOING TO PRIVATIZE THE CUSTODIANS AND GO AFTER CERTAIN PEOPLE........IT DID NOT HAPPEN, NOR ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE! VOTERS ARE SMARTER OR SHOULD I SAY ON TO YOUR GAMES.....GAME OVER!!!!

Guest RightOn!

AMEN!!! You hit the nail right on the head.

JL is going to fix the KBOE? Thats almost as funny as JC being all about the children.

Is that to make up for the millions of dollars the Town of Kearny lost as a result of the botched water deal under his tenure as councilman?

Taxpayers beware! He wasn't elected mayor for good reason. Don't entrust him now with our children's well being. He is a career politician that wants to politicize our children's future. Just like the water deal many years ago, we will be stuck with paying the tab for future decades.

Our children are too important to let that happen.

Guest John Leadbeater

JL is going to fix the KBOE? Thats almost as funny as JC being all about the children.

Is that to make up for the millions of dollars the Town of Kearny lost as a result of the botched water deal under his tenure as councilman?

Taxpayers beware! He wasn't elected mayor for good reason. Don't entrust him now with our children's well being. He is a career politician that wants to politicize our children's future. Just like the water deal many years ago, we will be stuck with paying the tab for future decades.

Dear RightOn,

Once again you spout lies . I voted AGAINST the water deal. But then you should and do know that but you are once again a LIAR

Guest NEVER ABOUT CHILDREN

Stevenson, Viscuso and Valdez......running scared and trying anything now! If our children are too important than why are Stevenson, Viscuso and Valdez NOT RUNNING FOR THEM AND THEIR FUTURE? Because they are running for a Super who is retiring!!! You see it is NEVER ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!! They also support a BUILDING on MIDLAND AVE that has already cost the TAXPAYERS 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS and rising!!! When all is said and done it will cost the TAXPAYERS another 2.5 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! BUSINESS AS USUAL WITH THESE 3 PAWNS, SPEND MONEY LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS AND HIRE FRIENDS, FAMILY AND UNQUALIFIED PERSONNEL!!!

Guest John Leadbeater

Dear RightOn,

1 more thing, the politicians in office now are not career politicians? You must be kidding me. Look how long they have all been in office and yet OUR taxes keep going thru the roof. I hope one day soon Kearny taxpayers will wake up and boot their asses out of office. Just my humble opinion. Now its your turn to come back and degrade me again, but remember I don't work for the town like you do

Guest Fact Checker

I agree. But beware because JL will spin the facts to confuse voters. He'll say he wasn't on the Council when the water deal went through, which is accurate, but he won't tell you he was on the council the year before (when it was negotiated) or that he was on the council the year after (when it was implemented).

Guest Shocked & Dismayed

Dear Guest,

Once again you proved my point. You are a coward. All of your bullpoints are BS. When you negotiate contracts you ALWAYS try to reduce salaries for the new employees going into the job. This way you do not affect anyone serving in that capacity. I negotiated contracts representing MY union for more then 20 years and also negotiated contract with town employees for 10 years. Don't you try to tell me what I know. I know both sides. You are an ass kissing piece of shit hiding behind your keyboard under "Guest". Lets call it like we see it. Yes there is a residency officer and yes I know all about how he can catch them but the BOE still has to go thru the process of getting rid of them. I say if we do our job right before school starts they would never be here in the first place.

As far as laying teachers off, I never laid anyone off while representing the town council. Check for yourself. I believe I must have hit a nerve and you are worried about YOUR job. Too bad. Now tell the truth, but I am sure with election day just 3 days away you will be touting more BS on here so enjoy. I hope you still have a job to go to tomorrow, so that this venom and lies you post about me will cease.

[/quote

OH,JL, I am shocked and dismayed!! AND THE LANGUAGE!! HOW UNPROFESSIONAL!!! Is this how you react when someone does not share your opinion? If you are elected to the BOE, are you going to lose your temper every time someone disagrees with you? Will you be up there name-calling and shouting profanities at the opposition, just like the other butthead already on the board? You and he can tag-team and wrestle every opponent to the floor! Your reaction certainly does NOT speak well of your character, and you want people to vote for you? I don't know who wrote that well-written reply to you, but, I do know that no profanity was used or was necessary. Rather, if you disagree, WHICH IS YOUR RIGHT TO DO, then refute these statements maturely and in a PROFESSIONAL manner. I am disappointed, disappointed, disappointed!!! When this election campaign began, YOU HAD ME AT HELLO! Sadly, your nasty, vendictive and absolutely unacceptable reply has lost you my vote. You claim to be a well-rounded opponent with business experience. Well, you blew it pal. If elected, your opposition will not always be a easy as that last one. HOW WILL YOU HANDLE IT THEN????

Guest Guest

Only when you hit the right button do you get such responses. The question still remains. Why would any family go thru this alleged underground tunnel type of set-up to get their child into a miserably failing school system. 230th in the State is NOT good. I would fight legally to get my child into a wildly successfull school system but not a school system ranked # 230 in the state. Whatever your logic is to that, I cannot imagine.

Guest guest
Before you answer, remember the OBSERVER is listening.

Ooooh. That's scary. The worst that will happen is the editor will write a front page story about how she was left out of the discussion!

Guest Guest

We do have a residency officer in town and he does in fact still go to home to check address's. He's been to my 6 family house checking on students who live here. But if you really want to catch those who live in other towns " illegal" students. Just hop on any NJ transit bus at the corner of Johnston ave and Kearny ave around 8am. I have and have seen in access of 12+ dressed in KHS uniforms coming in from Harrison

And did you do anything about it? Report them to anyone?

Guest The Coward

Dear Guest,

When they were hired the board was not in negotiations. Now do you get it?

Guest Let`s talk facts

Like I said here come the LIE`S from good old Mr. Stevenson. Let`s talk FACT`S MR. Stevenson`s ****** works for one of the ********* firms who has ********* with the K.B.O.E.. I guess that was a favor to Mr. Stevenson for all the contracts they received,right Davie boy!! Let`s see what you voted for MIDLAND AVE BUILDING - 1.2 MILLION Stevenson voted yes / Campbell voted no - DEGESERE $190,000.00 Stevenson voted yes / Campbell voted no - SPRAGUE $3500.00 A WEEK AS A ASST SUPER Stevenson voted yes / campbell voted no - 3 VICE PRINCIPALS IN K.H.S ALL MAKING OVER $100,000.00 EACH Stevenson voted yes / campbell voted no. You sir have the nerve to talk about anyone. How about All the wasteful spending since you been on the Board. You sir lie so much, you believe yourself!!!!.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Inocent Bystander

Like I said here come the LIE`S from good old Mr. Stevenson. Let`s talk FACT`S MR. Stevenson`s ****** works for one of the ********* firms who has ********* with the K.B.O.E.. I guess that was a favor to Mr. Stevenson for all the contracts they received,right Davie boy!! Let`s see what you voted for MIDLAND AVE BUILDING - 1.2 MILLION Stevenson voted yes / Campbell voted no - DEGESERE $190,000.00 Stevenson voted yes / Campbell voted no - SPRAGUE $3500.00 A WEEK AS A ASST SUPER Stevenson voted yes / campbell voted no - 3 VICE PRINCIPALS IN K.H.S ALL MAKING OVER $100,000.00 EACH Stevenson voted yes / campbell voted no. You sir have the nerve to talk about anyone. How about All the wasteful spending since you been on the Board. You sir lie so much, you believe yourself!!!!.

Doesn't Campbell vote no on everything?

Guest Aghast Kearnyite

At least one teacher or other school official that we know about is a member in good standing in the Aryan Nation and hates all minorities. If I lived in Kearny I would try to get my child into a school system that ranks better than 230th in the state. Who in their right mind would want their child to go to 230th in NJ school system anyway? Things are very bad with the B.O.E. and academics at the schools now. Whats the magic bullet to fix it?

Whoa! There's a school employee whose salary I'm paying for with tax dollars who's a member of the Aryan Nation? Please tell me that's fabricated. If not, what are the Superintendent and members of the Board of Education doing about it?

As to improving academics in the school system, I don't know what the magic bullet is. However, it should be obvious to everyone that ust doing the same things that we've always done is not the answer.

Guest Guest

Whoa! There's a school employee whose salary I'm paying for with tax dollars who's a member of the Aryan Nation? Please tell me that's fabricated. If not, what are the Superintendent and members of the Board of Education doing about it?

As to improving academics in the school system, I don't know what the magic bullet is. However, it should be obvious to everyone that ust doing the same things that we've always done is not the answer.

There is a magio bullet. It's called parent involvement. That is what has been going down for the last 30 or so years. The teachers can only work with what the parents send in to the schools. Poor foundation at home, poor results at school. It really pretty simple.