teachers

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Who was in the schools teaching the students when the march on Kearny town Hall, a complete joke, was going on? I hope the teachers didn't think they were going to accomplish anything. I hink the Mayor and concil weren't even in town. These are the same teachers that said they would even with the Governor by dropping their health plans instead of paying a contribution to defray the cost. Are you sure these were teachers and not just some drunks who stumbled out of a bar? Even the drunks could figure out that someone willing to pay 70% of your families excellent health plan is a no brainer, a gift. MEFIRST.

Guest Guest

Who was in the schools teaching the students when the march on Kearny town Hall, a complete joke, was going on? I hope the teachers didn't think they were going to accomplish anything. I hink the Mayor and concil weren't even in town. These are the same teachers that said they would even with the Governor by dropping their health plans instead of paying a contribution to defray the cost. Are you sure these were teachers and not just some drunks who stumbled out of a bar? Even the drunks could figure out that someone willing to pay 70% of your families excellent health plan is a no brainer, a gift. MEFIRST.

Question for the author of this post? Which bar did you just stumble out of? The teachers walked in front of Lincoln School, not the Town Hall. The teachers walked from 7:00-8:00 in the morning. No students in the classrooms at that time. Evidently you must have had to go in early when you were a student for extra help and I must say, you wasted your time getting up early those days. As far as the Mayor and "Concil", you are trying to "hink" way to much. And your suggestion that teachers said they were going to (You forgot "get") even with the Governor by dropping their health plans, did you dream this up after your 8th beer, 6th shot, your medication or all of these at the same time? You must have been "MEFIRST" at 6:00 in the morning standing at the door when Snug Harbor was opening up. I guess those days getting up early did pay off. It did discipline you for opening time.

Guest Guest

:blink:I have to ask: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Guest Afriend

Ok, I have to help my teacher friends here. First off, the teachers marched before school started as to not cause an interference with school. Second, they march at Lincoln School not Town Hall, but again you knew that because you do research before making a fool of yourself on a public site. You do know the saying, "it is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think your stupid, then to open it and prove it."? Finally, please don't knock teachers because you were clearly a failure in school.

Who was in the schools teaching the students when the TEACHERS marchED on Kearny town Hall(, a complete joke, was going on?)RUN ON I hope the teachers didn't think they were going to accomplish anything. I Think the Mayor and concil weren't even in town. These are the same teachers that said they would NOT even EVEN WHAT with the Governor by dropping their health plans instead of paying a contribution to defray the cost. Are you sure these were teachers,COMMA and not just some drunks who stumbled out of a bar? Even the drunks could figure out that someone willing to pay 70% of your families excellent health plan is a no brainer A NO BRAINER TO WHAT?, a gift. MEFIRST.

All my respect to the teachers for everything you do with our kids,

Shogun...

Guest Guest

Ok, I have to help my teacher friends here. First off, the teachers marched before school started as to not cause an interference with school. Second, they march at Lincoln School not Town Hall, but again you knew that because you do research before making a fool of yourself on a public site. You do know the saying, "it is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think your stupid, then to open it and prove it."? Finally, please don't knock teachers because you were clearly a failure in school.

Who was in the schools teaching the students when the TEACHERS marchED on Kearny town Hall(, a complete joke, was going on?)RUN ON I hope the teachers didn't think they were going to accomplish anything. I Think the Mayor and concil weren't even in town. These are the same teachers that said they would NOT even EVEN WHAT with the Governor by dropping their health plans instead of paying a contribution to defray the cost. Are you sure these were teachers,COMMA and not just some drunks who stumbled out of a bar? Even the drunks could figure out that someone willing to pay 70% of your families excellent health plan is a no brainer A NO BRAINER TO WHAT?, a gift. MEFIRST.

All my respect to the teachers for everything you do with our kids,

Shogun...

By the way, since the teachers were in their own schools teaching while Mr. Christie was in Kearny, who was interrupting the school day while everyone is preparing for the testing that he (Mr. Christie) wants to use to evaluate teachers? hmmmm

Who wasn't in his own office in Trenton trying to devise another way to "fix" New Jersey since trying to balance the budget on the backs of the middle and working class doesn't seem to be working? hmmmmm

I wouldn't have posted except contrary that Mr. Christie and the lynch mobs that he has created thrive on misinformation and I appreciate your clearing this up, Shogun.

Guest Guest

If you want to play teacher and correct spelling and punctuation marks, then good for you. What was the purpose for this 1 hour march around the school and do you think it achieved any goal? Having someone, some entity, group, or whatever educated teacher term you want to use to describe a group willing to pay 70% of a healthcare plan for you and your family and feel this is unfair treatment, then by all means opt out and pay 100% on your own. You are objecting to and ridiculing a gift of a large sum of money being given to your family, or just you in some cases, in the form of health coverage. Apparently you have never spoken to anyone outside of your high society, high demand in entitlement terms that do not have such a fantastic opportunity to pay a steeply discounted rate for top shelf health insurance. Find someone who works for a living, as you do, but does not have a medical package included along with their salary. Outline your current health benefit plan for you get (which is only a part of what you get and does not include pensions and other perks) and the price. Then tell them the State of NJ is willing to pay 70% of that medical plan if they pay the other 30%. I think you would get a sale every time you presented it. MEFIRST cannot see that due to feeling that they are entitlted to that package or in other terms are better than the other individual. Your kids health is more important than their kids. Now do you get the message? Proof read it and highlight any spelling or punctuation mistakes I made but the message is clear. Be gratefull and humble at times when others are suffering.

Guest Guest

If you want to play teacher and correct spelling and punctuation marks, then good for you. What was the purpose for this 1 hour march around the school and do you think it achieved any goal? Having someone, some entity, group, or whatever educated teacher term you want to use to describe a group willing to pay 70% of a healthcare plan for you and your family and feel this is unfair treatment, then by all means opt out and pay 100% on your own. You are objecting to and ridiculing a gift of a large sum of money being given to your family, or just you in some cases, in the form of health coverage. Apparently you have never spoken to anyone outside of your high society, high demand in entitlement terms that do not have such a fantastic opportunity to pay a steeply discounted rate for top shelf health insurance. Find someone who works for a living, as you do, but does not have a medical package included along with their salary. Outline your current health benefit plan for you get (which is only a part of what you get and does not include pensions and other perks) and the price. Then tell them the State of NJ is willing to pay 70% of that medical plan if they pay the other 30%. I think you would get a sale every time you presented it. MEFIRST cannot see that due to feeling that they are entitlted to that package or in other terms are better than the other individual. Your kids health is more important than their kids. Now do you get the message? Proof read it and highlight any spelling or punctuation mistakes I made but the message is clear. Be gratefull and humble at times when others are suffering.

Please look more deeply into the issues at hand. It is not only health care coverage - for which every teacher I know is willing to pony up their share. This is about the fact that Mr. Christie has been bashing teachers (pretending that he is only focusing on the NJEA) since his election. He has created a situation where the general public only knows partial truths about salaries, health insurance, and pensions. It is about diverting tax payer money to charter schools and private, parochial schools - which by the way our Kearny kids would not be eligible for since we are NOT one of the failing district he likes to point to. It is about the animosity that he has created in the working middle class. We are not the enemy and believe me the average Kearny tax payer is not Mr. Christie's friend. We all need to stand up to Mr. Christie and save our schools, protect our town, see to it that the working people of New Jersey have all of the benefits and comfort enjoyed by the people whom he is protecting with his refusal to require the wealthy in NJ to give a little more. Why must those who have the least give up the most? Ask yourself that question and instead of trying to pull others down, why not insist that the governor figure out how to bring up every workers' stature.

And, the teachers' presence at Lincoln School did not cause any interruption to the school day. Every teacher was where they belonged when their school day started. The purpose was to draw attention to support for our schools. Kearny has good schools. The students and teachers work hard every day. Instead of being demonized by our government, we need to be supported - and if we don't do it for ourselves, who will?

BTW - thanks to the Harrison teachers who walked that morning! I don't think they've been acknowledged before

Guest Guest

From the photos in the Kearny rag, which is tossed up on the stoop--the "teachers" who were marching looked like retired teachers and ringers. A typical NJEA/Union tactic to make it look like all kinds of people are involved while it is just a ploy to get some press. One would bet that teachers were in their schools--KHS teachers have to be in school at 8:15, so count them out, Elementary teachers have to be in at 8:40 so they can't do it unless it is Lincoln school teachers. Therefore there were few to none of the teachers at this "march." Then the retired teachers, ringers and NJEA paid staff showed up with the bogus signs, etc. to make it look good. I'll bet the marchers got a free lunch at San Carlos for their exercise.

Guest Guest

Maybe I did have a narrow view of the situation in the original post? However, before Governor Christie got elected didn't the Kearny school system rank at the bottom of the list in terms of academic achievement, even lower than Harrison in NJ. Christie had nothing to do with that. If the Governor only gives partial truths, please fill the uninformed people like myself as to the full truth, the whole picture. If the Governor asked for the 30% medical contribution and other concessions that the public doesn't know about, please bring them to light.

I believe that you do work hard and do your best to educate the children. No doubt about it. Now look at it another way. You are very well paid and you are teaching in Kearny, NJ, not the South Bronx. Your Principal is not Joe Clark. Your life in general as a teacher is challenging at times, but you make it sound like you are a soldier in Yemen and the U.S. government has decided not to pay you anymore. If the Governor had instead stated that the parents of the children had to pay $400 a month for them to attend school you would have been as quiet as a mouse. You would have driven thru a red light if you saw the parents marching so the Governor didn't think a teacher was involved if there was a camera man. You are upset about your situation, not the students. They are pawns in your game. Why weren't the parents marching with you? You lead a good life, don't be greedy.

Guest Guest

In retrospect, you (by that I mean the teachers) say that this farce of a protest was to call attention to the unfair treatment of the middle class workers, not just the teachers. If this is so, why wasn't the march held on a Saturday or Sunday? The teachers as well as other middle class families being affected should have been invited to join the peacefull protest. An article in a local paper could have alerted people to the demonstation, flyers could have been made up, etc.. You thanked only the Harrison teachers for their support, not any other middle class folks who are supposedly under attack by the Governor and you claimed to be stomping for justice. If you held it on a weekend day you would have drawn a much larger crowd to walk with you. Truth be told, I would it's a safe bet that 90% of the teachers do not live in Kearny or Harrison. You weren't going to give up part of a weekend day to drive to Kearny to a protest walk. No way, no how. You did it when it was conveinent for you. You had to be in town anyway. The truth be told, YOU were protesting for YOU, not the middle class you threw into your article to garner support. You were thinking about the teachers treatment. Don't lie and say it was for everyone. Poor me all over again as in the past. Me, me, mefirst.

Guest Guest

In retrospect, you (by that I mean the teachers) say that this farce of a protest was to call attention to the unfair treatment of the middle class workers, not just the teachers. If this is so, why wasn't the march held on a Saturday or Sunday? The teachers as well as other middle class families being affected should have been invited to join the peacefull protest. An article in a local paper could have alerted people to the demonstation, flyers could have been made up, etc.. You thanked only the Harrison teachers for their support, not any other middle class folks who are supposedly under attack by the Governor and you claimed to be stomping for justice. If you held it on a weekend day you would have drawn a much larger crowd to walk with you. Truth be told, I would it's a safe bet that 90% of the teachers do not live in Kearny or Harrison. You weren't going to give up part of a weekend day to drive to Kearny to a protest walk. No way, no how. You did it when it was conveinent for you. You had to be in town anyway. The truth be told, YOU were protesting for YOU, not the middle class you threw into your article to garner support. You were thinking about the teachers treatment. Don't lie and say it was for everyone. Poor me all over again as in the past. Me, me, mefirst.

The governor wasn't in Lincoln School on Saturday or Sunday. There was only one day notice that he would be in Kearny.

And as you said, we don't teach in the South Bronx, so getting from Lincoln School to Kearny HS by 8:15 isn't much of a challenge, nor is getting from Lincoln School to any other school in town by 8:20 (am help period) or 8:40 much of a challenge either. Teachers were notified that walking was from 7:00 - 8:00 am. There were retirees, current teachers from Kearny and Harrison, and at least 2 parents/families walking that morning. It was not a protest, the purpose was to draw attention to support for public schools.

Guest Not so fast

Proof-reading yielded only a few minor missteps, which I will overlook to save you any embarrassment. The main problem with your post is not due to spelling or grammar, but to misinformation. Had you bothered to inquire as to the reasons for the friction between the Governor and the teaching profession, you would have realized that medical insurance, albeit a contractual consideration which was duly negotiated, is only one small component of the problem. The Governor's utter lack of respect for teachers and other public employees is unfortunately a trait which is non-negotiable.

Guest Guest

Blah, blah, blah,.....I'm a teacher, look at me, look at me....that's the way you have always acted.

Now the Governor is giving you the attention you've always craved and that's a problem?

Guest Guest

Blah, blah, blah,.....I'm a teacher, look at me, look at me....that's the way you have always acted.

Now the Governor is giving you the attention you've always craved and that's a problem?

Well, that's a mature way to try to get out of an argument that you're losing. :rolleyes:

I don't know that teachers have ever gone out there "craving attention." They go to work and do their jobs pretty much everyday. It's the local political climate that is dragging teachers into the public eye.

As far as I know, the Kearny teachers didn't invite Governor Christie to Kearny. He came for a photo and a pre-campaign opportunity.

Guest knowsbetter

Hey, doofus, the teachers walked on their own time BEFORE SCHOOL!!! at 7:00AM, actually. So take your head out of your butt and recognize a good thing when you see it! they are not just marching for themselves, but for your children.

Guest Joe Clark

I never realized how bad the teachers had it when it came to light in terms of benefits and money. You should join forces with the firemen. There is quite a bit of common ground. The FF work 91 days a year, the teachers work 8 1/2 to 9 months. Both groups constantly complain about being underpaid when every ff or teachers car parked around where they work is a Benz or BMW. Neither group has more than 5% employees total that live in town. Neither group will submit to drug testing, and the majority of both groups got their jobs from nepotism or patronage. The singles should have a social mixer evening to date each other due to having so much in common already. There is much more than I have even mentioned. The PFRS should be changed to the teachers/firemen having one union and the cops having their own. It would be a seamless fit. Now rock that contract baby.

Guest Guest

Hey, doofus, the teachers walked on their own time BEFORE SCHOOL!!! at 7:00AM, actually. So take your head out of your butt and recognize a good thing when you see it! they are not just marching for themselves, but for your children.

Yes they did walk on their own time, but to say they marched for our children is crazy. they marched for themselves. I have a idea, let`s have the teachers work all year instead of having three months off in the summer. Maybe than our scores would come up. Too many days off for teachers during the year. Remove tenure for teachers this way the B.O.E. would be able to fire them if their teaching skills are not helpful to the students. The only thing the teachers want is to keep TENURE,RAISES,BENEFITS period!! If they were concerned about our students than kearny would not be rated 230 in the state. So who`s got their head up their butt????

Guest Not so fast

I never realized how bad the teachers had it when it came to light in terms of benefits and money. You should join forces with the firemen. There is quite a bit of common ground. The FF work 91 days a year, the teachers work 8 1/2 to 9 months. Both groups constantly complain about being underpaid when every ff or teachers car parked around where they work is a Benz or BMW. Neither group has more than 5% employees total that live in town. Neither group will submit to drug testing, and the majority of both groups got their jobs from nepotism or patronage. The singles should have a social mixer evening to date each other due to having so much in common already. There is much more than I have even mentioned. The PFRS should be changed to the teachers/firemen having one union and the cops having their own. It would be a seamless fit. Now rock that contract baby.

Just about everything you posted is incorrect. However I will address only one point---the one that seems to stick most steadfastly in the throats of you Neanderthals who insist on posting before you know whereof you speak. Teachers' salaries seem to be a matter of great concern to you. Think of it this way: if teachers were paid ONLY to baby-sit our kids, exclusive of academics, at $5.00 per hour per child (the average junior high and high school teacher sees at least 50-75 students in a 5-6 hour day) over approximately 180 days per year. Do the math! We couldn't pay them what they're really worth.

As for firefighters--if they go to one fire a month, they're worth every penny they get. Bet you never had a house fire or you wouldn't be so cynical!

Guest Guest

Yes they did walk on their own time, but to say they marched for our children is crazy. they marched for themselves. I have a idea, let`s have the teachers work all year instead of having three months off in the summer. Maybe than our scores would come up. Too many days off for teachers during the year. Remove tenure for teachers this way the B.O.E. would be able to fire them if their teaching skills are not helpful to the students. The only thing the teachers want is to keep TENURE,RAISES,BENEFITS period!! If they were concerned about our students than kearny would not be rated 230 in the state. So who`s got their head up their butt????

I'll go along with keeping the schools open for 11.5 months - I think you'd agree with a 2 week vacation, wouldn't you? Except, my husband started with 2 weeks and receives an additional week for every 5 years thereafter, that sounds fair, doesn't it just like in business? So let me think...I'm finishing my 29th year so I guess I'm entitled to 2 weeks plus nearly 6 additional weeks for my years with the company - you want us to work like a business, right? So now they need a substitute teacher to cover those additional 6 weeks beyond the 2 that you'd agree everyone should start with, just like in business, right?

Here's the next issue: when we stay open for 11.5 months, we'll have to close when the buildings reach temperatures above 90 degrees - that's just a health issue, right? Since only 1.5 schools are air conditioned (Lincoln and the new part of Schuyler) that means that we'd have to close the schools for much of a typical July and August (not to mention the heavy temperatures that build in those school in both June and September - those flat roofed buildings are suffocating in the hot weather. Or we can spend the money efficiently air conditioning all of the schools. But old buildings like Roosevelt, Schuyler, Garfield, Washington, KHS, would probably then need entire new electrical and duct work in order to do that. I'm sure tax payers would be happy to foot the bill for that work. We need to keep the schools open for 11.5 months so the expense is worth it.

Here's another issue: families would have to sign contracts or be penalized for taking their children out of school at any time other than the 2 week vacation agreed upon in the schools. No taking the kids to Disney when the rates are lower, no visiting the family in Asia or South and Central American during their summers. Just like in business, you can't just take off with clearance from the bosses (administration), right?

Oops! One more thing, since salaries are calculated for the contracted time from September 1 through June 30, everyone would be expected to receive a 20% raise - like in business if you work 20% more days, you'd receive 20% more compensation, wouldn't you?

Keep the schools open for 11.5 months - as long as you all agree to make everything about it like a business, I'm in!

Guest Guest

Idiots like you can't even get your little monsters to school every day of the current schedule. How do you plan on getting them to school for another 3 months?

Maybe if you supported the schools, and people didn't take they're animals on month long vacations to South America during the school year, Kearny wouldn't be rated 230th.

Guest Guest

The way you explained how the teachers are essentially vastly underpaid can apply to almost any occupation because you angle of breaking it down can be done on a reverse angle of someone else breaking it down. It's all in the way you look at it. From the teachers viewpoint or from the publics viewpoint.

As as your assessment of the fireman's pay, if you feel that putting out 12 fires a year for say $5 million dollars for very few employees is a great thing, the Harrison fireman in reality only put out about 4 fires per year. Your Democratic thinking of tax and spend should therefore warrant that irregardless of the number of schools or students, the number of fires, or the number of crimes dictates that the economy would be more sound if these professions started at a minimum of say $500,000.00 a year. Sounds good right. Then the nepotism and patronage jobs should start at $700,000 a year because they are always the highest paying jobs. The rest of society that work for say $40,000 a year is just fine with you. Property taxes could be raised to $200,000.00 a year to support your ideal world of big paid, big union, big government theory. The hell with everybody else, I got what I want. Your greed is appauling. Harrison put your theory into practice starting in 1995 and look at the fantastic financial shape they are in now. Harrison is on the verge of opening up soup kitchens so the residents can eat, homes are rapidly going into foreclosure and public safety is non-existent. The town cannot meet payroll and there probably isn't enough money in town funds to have a barbecue for a family of five. According to you, that means that McDonough and the council are a spectacular success and the town is right where it should be. Typical union teacher philosophy. Me, me, MEFIRST and the rest of societys losers can go **** themselves. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Guest Guest

The way you explained how the teachers are essentially vastly underpaid can apply to almost any occupation because you angle of breaking it down can be done on a reverse angle of someone else breaking it down. It's all in the way you look at it. From the teachers viewpoint or from the publics viewpoint.

As as your assessment of the fireman's pay, if you feel that putting out 12 fires a year for say $5 million dollars for very few employees is a great thing, the Harrison fireman in reality only put out about 4 fires per year. Your Democratic thinking of tax and spend should therefore warrant that irregardless of the number of schools or students, the number of fires, or the number of crimes dictates that the economy would be more sound if these professions started at a minimum of say $500,000.00 a year. Sounds good right. Then the nepotism and patronage jobs should start at $700,000 a year because they are always the highest paying jobs. The rest of society that work for say $40,000 a year is just fine with you. Property taxes could be raised to $200,000.00 a year to support your ideal world of big paid, big union, big government theory. The hell with everybody else, I got what I want. Your greed is appauling. Harrison put your theory into practice starting in 1995 and look at the fantastic financial shape they are in now. Harrison is on the verge of opening up soup kitchens so the residents can eat, homes are rapidly going into foreclosure and public safety is non-existent. The town cannot meet payroll and there probably isn't enough money in town funds to have a barbecue for a family of five. According to you, that means that McDonough and the council are a spectacular success and the town is right where it should be. Typical union teacher philosophy. Me, me, MEFIRST and the rest of societys losers can go **** themselves. You should be ashamed of yourself.

What kind of a moron blames selfishness on Democrats as opposed to Republicans? The Republican philosophy is explicitly about "me first" and "everyone for himself."