2 aides quit after press inquiry

Guest guest

Guest guest

Monday, April 04, 2011

By TERRENCE T. McDONALD

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A couple of aides working part-time for two Hudson County freeholders quit two weeks ago, within 48 hours of finding out that The Jersey Journal had inquired about their annual salaries.

One of those aides, Stephen Gallo, is better known to Bayonne residents as the city's business administrator, Mayor Mark Smith's chief of staff, and the executive director of the Bayonne Municipal Utilities Authority - which together earned him a total of $104,444 in 2010.

But Gallo was also moonlighting as Freeholder Doreen DiDomenico's aide, pulling down an extra $3,000 that will add dollars to his government pension.

According to Gallo, his duties as DiDomenico's aide consisted of going to meetings on her behalf and investigating matters brought to her by residents. He also "provided her with counsel," he said.

DiDomenico, who represents Bayonne and parts of Jersey City, said she was never concerned that Gallo's other jobs would leave him little time to help her.

"I don't think the man sleeps," she said.

Asked why he quit, Gallo said, "My wife wanted me to be home."

Former Harrison Councilman Laurence Bennett earned $4,500 as an aide to Freeholder Albert Cifelli, who represents Harrison, East Newark, Kearny and parts of Secaucus. Bennett also quit within two days of The Jersey Journal's Open Public Records Act request.

Bennett, who retired this month from the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission, could not be reached for comment. But according to Cifelli, Bennett had been planning to retire from both jobs.

Cifelli said he employed Bennett because he would "keep my ear to the ground" about Harrison happenings.

Bennett had been planning to retire from both jobs my a$$. Come on how convenient he retired a couple of days from both jobs when there was either an investigation or inquiry into his jobs.

Guest guest

Monday, April 04, 2011

By TERRENCE T. McDONALD

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A couple of aides working part-time for two Hudson County freeholders quit two weeks ago, within 48 hours of finding out that The Jersey Journal had inquired about their annual salaries.

One of those aides, Stephen Gallo, is better known to Bayonne residents as the city's business administrator, Mayor Mark Smith's chief of staff, and the executive director of the Bayonne Municipal Utilities Authority - which together earned him a total of $104,444 in 2010.

But Gallo was also moonlighting as Freeholder Doreen DiDomenico's aide, pulling down an extra $3,000 that will add dollars to his government pension.

According to Gallo, his duties as DiDomenico's aide consisted of going to meetings on her behalf and investigating matters brought to her by residents. He also "provided her with counsel," he said.

DiDomenico, who represents Bayonne and parts of Jersey City, said she was never concerned that Gallo's other jobs would leave him little time to help her.

Former Harrison Councilman Laurence Bennett earned $4,500 as an aide to Freeholder Albert Cifelli, who represents Harrison, East Newark, Kearny and parts of Secaucus. Bennett also quit within two days of The Jersey Journal's Open Public Records Act request.

Bennett, who retired this month from the Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission, could not be reached for comment. But according to Cifelli, Bennett had been planning to retire from both jobs.

Cifelli said he employed Bennett because he would "keep my ear to the ground" about Harrison happenings.

Bennett had been planning to retire from both jobs my a$$. Come on how convenient he retired a couple of days from both jobs when there was either an investigation or inquiry into his jobs.

For over 10 yrs., he was an assemby aide to assembywomen Joan Quigley. What happened to that position?

Guest *******GUEST******

Monday, April 04, 2011

By TERRENCE T. McDONALD

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

But Gallo was also moonlighting as Freeholder Doreen DiDomenico's aide, pulling down an extra $3,000 that will add dollars to his government pension. Yea Rite, retire My ass, They will just find him a job with no title and People know little about....There is no such thing as retire...Especially in this crooked Town, Come to Harrison if You a liar, sneak and thief and like Politics....You can do real good in this Town...But then all the Liars Crooks and Thiefs do not want to give up their JOBS, that's rite JOBS....in this Town You have more than 1 Job and 1 salary or Pay Check How ever You want to put it.....

Bennett had been planning to retire from both jobs my a$. Come on how convenient he retired a couple of days from both jobs when there was either an investigation or inquiry into his jobs.

Edited by KOTW
Fixed misplaced end quote

Guest amazed

Bennett had been planning to retire from both jobs my a$. Come on how convenient he retired a couple of days from both jobs when there was either an investigation or inquiry into his jobs.

im amazed how the sh*t from the passaic river is slowly but surely rising up to the top. the bodies are surfacing and the mob squad is caving. lol......smell like more stinky fishes are coming.............

Guest guest

For decades this has been occurring. If anyone was to look a little closer at the Town of Harrison(wink wink Christie), they would find that anyone in an elected/appointed position in Harrison have been the biggest abusers of the state pension system. Sadly though the people of this town are hypocrites, due to the fact that they keep electing or re-electing them. As for Bennett, didn't take this guy take just shy of a decade to ******* ****** ****? This little guy has been collecting 3 state pensions at taxpayer expense for years! Wake up kids, it's your money they are taking. And he isn't the only one doing it, just the most noticeable because he has to be the center of attention. Where there is a photo op you'll find him. I believe they call this a Napoleon Complex!

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Guest

For over 10 yrs., he was an assemby aide to assembywomen Joan Quigley. What happened to that position?

Since he knew the redistricting of the Assembly and senate was going to ommit Mrs. Quigley he automaticly called upon Cifelli, the freeloader, for a job aiding him in picking up cakes and delivering flowers, gopher job. Right Larry you were planning on retiring from all the positions you hold on the taxpaer boob. Bull crap.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *******GUEST************

For decades this has been occurring. If anyone was to look a little closer at the Town of Harrison(wink wink Christie), they would find that anyone in an elected/appointed position in Harrison have been the biggest abusers of the state pension system. Sadly though the people of this town are hypocrites, due to the fact that they keep electing or re-electing them. As for Bennett, didn't take this guy take just shy of a decade to ******* ****** ****? This little guy has been collecting 3 state pensions at taxpayer expense for years! Wake up kids, it's your money they are taking. And he isn't the only one doing it, just the most noticeable because he has to be the center of attention. Where there is a photo op you'll find him. I believe they call this a Napoleon Complex!

This has been going on for Years, the problem is if you have a job in this town of harrison and You do not vote for the assholes that are in office You are out of a job and or are treated like shit if they get back in, and i do not care what anyone says, they do know who U vote for....why do You have to sign a paper with #;s on it....They know who You vote for.....This Town S**ks and always will.....I am very disapointed that Christie stopped the investigating jobs when He decided to Run for Governor....Harrison needs to be investigated big time....Way to many People that work in this Town are related to each other and have multiple jobs......a bunch of FREAKIN SCUMBAGS AND CROOKS.....