Summer Help?

Guest IKnow

Guest IKnow

Rumor has it that the mayor and council are considering hiring summer help for the playgrounds this year. I know this will be a very unpopular opinion, but I really don't care. Summer help should not be hired while the town is furloughing it's employees 26 days this year. In the best of times, these hires are children of political allies of the mayor and council. This year, the mayor and council has to just say no to their friends when they come looking for something for junior to do this summer. We have plenty of establishments in town who would hire these kids, like shop rite, pathmark, burger king, ect. No free rides this year, not when I'm forfeiting over 12% of my paycheck. The mayor was big on shared sacrifice when he was making his demands for givebacks, it's now time for others beside the regular employees to share in that sacrifice. It's also time to consider cancelling the Fourth of July fireworks. While they're entertaining, it's not proper to waste all that money when you're crying poverty. Besides, we live just a few miles from the biggest and best fireworks display in the country. If you feel you need to see fireworks, go see macy's, and share with the town in trying to make sacrifices.

Guest Guest

I Know and You Know that we do not need these summer jobs. If you want to help the youth of the town--the kids who actually play in the playgrounds--hire the people being furloughed to sit in the playgrounds and supervise the activities. Why add to the payroll when you can help the people who have lost or are being given less hours to work.

As for the Fourth of July Activities--cancel the entire thing. You are so right--if you must go to see fireworks, take the PATH to NYC or drive over to the city. The best are to be found in NYC with Macy's picking up the tab. I have always felt that fireworks are the biggest waste of money--if the town has money to "BURN" why not give the money back to the tax payers? Lower our taxes and stop blowing up our money. The people who attend the fireworks come from various towns--not everyone in Kearny goes to our fireworks display. Stop giving away our money to people who do not live in our town. If you must have fireworks, charge to see them like other towns do. Why must the tax payers of Kearny be the suckers with free fireworks? Fence off Vets field, put cops around the entire place, and charge admission. The admission will pay for the fireworks, the town people who put up the fence, and for the cops. All who work will only be paid commissions on the total collected--no one comes to pay then no one gets paid. You will see how fast we end the fireworks.

Guest We, not Me, First

Rumor has it that the mayor and council are considering hiring summer help for the playgrounds this year. I know this will be a very unpopular opinion, but I really don't care. Summer help should not be hired while the town is furloughing it's employees 26 days this year. In the best of times, these hires are children of political allies of the mayor and council. This year, the mayor and council has to just say no to their friends when they come looking for something for junior to do this summer. We have plenty of establishments in town who would hire these kids, like shop rite, pathmark, burger king, ect. No free rides this year, not when I'm forfeiting over 12% of my paycheck. The mayor was big on shared sacrifice when he was making his demands for givebacks, it's now time for others beside the regular employees to share in that sacrifice. It's also time to consider cancelling the Fourth of July fireworks. While they're entertaining, it's not proper to waste all that money when you're crying poverty. Besides, we live just a few miles from the biggest and best fireworks display in the country. If you feel you need to see fireworks, go see macy's, and share with the town in trying to make sacrifices.

The playground summer help are 16, 17 and 18 year olds who supervise children and organize events like arts and crafts and group games. They make $7 an hour. Why punish them?

Since you're complaining about your 12% paycut due to furloughs, tell me, how much do you make a year, paid by Kearny taxpayers, in salary? how many hours a week do you work for that salary? how much are you paying for your full health coverage and how much is the Kearny taxpayer paying for your full health coverage? Why don't you get a part-time job at "Shop Rite or Pathmark or Burger King, etc" to supplement your income to make up the difference?

Get rid of the 4th of July program? Really?? Just because you want to get your full salary and benefits?

You're right that your opinion will be unpopular. That's because it's selfish and greedy.

Guest Guest

Since when is hiring teenages to WORK for the summer considered a free ride? Working is not a free ride unless you just lounge at the Fire Department. When college students intern at companies in the summer in order to get a permanent position at that company is that a free ride? Hiring the teenagers to work for the summer is a great way to introduce them into the future at whatever their occupation will be, keeps them out of trouble, and gives their parents a little relief. They can pay for activities or things they want themselves while getting a sense of pride that they earned the money through their own hard work. How can you be so bitter and angry at life that you want to take out your frustrations on the children? I applaud the effort for providing summer employment.

I Know and You Know that we do not need these summer jobs. If you want to help the youth of the town--the kids who actually play in the playgrounds--hire the people being furloughed to sit in the playgrounds and supervise the activities. Why add to the payroll when you can help the people who have lost or are being given less hours to work.

If you had those people open the gates and work in the playground you would lose so much more money. The young people that are doing this are getting paid something like $7 and change. The people you propose to do this would get paid at a much higher rate. Finacially this is the right move for the town.

Since when is hiring teenages to WORK for the summer considered a free ride? Working is not a free ride unless you just lounge at the Fire Department. When college students intern at companies in the summer in order to get a permanent position at that company is that a free ride? Hiring the teenagers to work for the summer is a great way to introduce them into the future at whatever their occupation will be, keeps them out of trouble, and gives their parents a little relief. They can pay for activities or things they want themselves while getting a sense of pride that they earned the money through their own hard work. How can you be so bitter and angry at life that you want to take out your frustrations on the children? I applaud the effort for providing summer employment.

See your post was actually solid and I agree with almost everything. Why do people feel the need to pull in firefighters with every argument. The provide a crucial service and we are lucky enough to have a great department. You can make a point without having to jab at other groups.

Guest Guest

The playground summer help are 16, 17 and 18 year olds who supervise children and organize events like arts and crafts and group games. They make $7 an hour. Why punish them?

Since you're complaining about your 12% paycut due to furloughs, tell me, how much do you make a year, paid by Kearny taxpayers, in salary? how many hours a week do you work for that salary? how much are you paying for your full health coverage and how much is the Kearny taxpayer paying for your full health coverage? Why don't you get a part-time job at "Shop Rite or Pathmark or Burger King, etc" to supplement your income to make up the difference?

Get rid of the 4th of July program? Really?? Just because you want to get your full salary and benefits?

You're right that your opinion will be unpopular. That's because it's selfish and greedy.

It would be great if the "summer jobs" were open to "all" the youth of Kearny who meet the age requirements, but you know and I know that it is "Who You Know and Not What You Know" that gets the kids a job. Giving jobs to kids sounds great, but to give jobs to kids with connections "ONLY" is crazy. You make it sound like this is just a nice thing to do, but you're teaching kids that if you don't have a connection or your parents don't kiss someones a** your not getting a "summer job." So, if we are going to keep the jobs, get the politics out of the selection process. I am betting that our town government can't do that and the jobs have already been promised.

Guest Kearny Mom

The summer help for the playgrounds is needed. The local playgrounds give neighborhood children something to do during the day. The people who work are usually college students, who themselves, have gone through this program.

As far as your furlough days, I am sorry that that happened to you, but don't take it out on the kids of Kearny.

Guest IKnow

Punish them? By not giving them their politically motivated summer jobs? What happened to the budget crisis? Where are we finding the money for these jobs? And they make more then $7 an hour, don't kid yourself. What's wrong with working at "Shop Rite, Pathmark, Burger King"? Your kids too good to work in those places. My kids worked there, and they learned the meaning of going to work each day.

To answer your questions, I make in the mid 50's, work 35 hours a week, contributing 0 presently for health benefits, but I'm scheduled to start paying 1.5% of my salary in the future, and from the sounds of it, that could rise to 30%. For your info, I do work a part time job. None of this changes the fact that I listened to the mayors BS about shared sacrifice, and don't think there should be ANY new hiring while people are sacrificing their pay.

So, for you now, since you have such an interest in me. Where do you work? Hours per week? Pay for benefits? How would you feel if your company (if you work at all) took a day every two weeks out of your paycheck, and then turned around and hired part timers? It's just morally wrong.

Yea, get rid of the Fourth of July celebration. The savings would greatly decrease next years deficit, when I guarantee you, there will be no more furlough days.

Guest IKnow

Oh please, it's a great way to introduce them to mommy and daddy getting them political payback jobs. Tell them they can't bring their cellphones to work, watch how many of them decide they don't want the jobs then. I'm not bitter and angry, I gave back when asked too. I just resent the mayor crying poverty, getting what he wanted, then going on like it's business as usual. Hiring while people are being laid off, and make no mistake, furloughs are layoffs, is morally wrong, and we won't forget when the mayor comes looking for help in the future.

Guest Guest

You agreed to the furlough days and are going to, not might, have to pay 30% for your medical and probably more cuts a short way down the road. How can someone who works only 35 hours a week, thats part-time work, be so jaded against the kids because of your own personal situation. If it's true that only the kids related to some higher up got the jobs I would be in agreement with you on the issue. I hope that's not true because it's wrong in more ways than one and gives these special kids the wrong message that they can feed off the town as they get older. If all the kids get an equal opportunity, like a lottery for the jobs, that would be fair. It's a good opportunity to introduce the kids to the working world. Whats the big deal about the fireworks? It's tradition and always a good time for the spectators. Your personal bias about these things are clouding your judgement. Be glad you have a job. There are many people worse off than you.

Guest Guest

So you make mid 50`s dont pay into your health benefits and now after how many years you might have to pay something towards health benefits. Oh poor poor you. There are a lot of people who make less than you and have been paying 1.5% HEALTH BENEFITS since they started working, I happen to be one of them. How`s the overtime been this year? I guess you really can`t complain,TIME AND HALF, DOUBLE TIME!! So you had to get a part time job to make up the difference, good for you. Thank God you are able to work 2 jobs let alone find another job with the way unemployment rate is. rate

Guest We, not Me, First

Punish them? By not giving them their politically motivated summer jobs? What happened to the budget crisis? Where are we finding the money for these jobs? And they make more then $7 an hour, don't kid yourself. What's wrong with working at "Shop Rite, Pathmark, Burger King"? Your kids too good to work in those places. My kids worked there, and they learned the meaning of going to work each day.

To answer your questions, I make in the mid 50's, work 35 hours a week, contributing 0 presently for health benefits, but I'm scheduled to start paying 1.5% of my salary in the future, and from the sounds of it, that could rise to 30%. For your info, I do work a part time job. None of this changes the fact that I listened to the mayors BS about shared sacrifice, and don't think there should be ANY new hiring while people are sacrificing their pay.

So, for you now, since you have such an interest in me. Where do you work? Hours per week? Pay for benefits? How would you feel if your company (if you work at all) took a day every two weeks out of your paycheck, and then turned around and hired part timers? It's just morally wrong.

Yea, get rid of the Fourth of July celebration. The savings would greatly decrease next years deficit, when I guarantee you, there will be no more furlough days.

I'm not interested in you. I'm trying to understand your argument on YOUR posting on this web site.

In answer to your question on where does the money come from, there's a budget. It's absurd to think that all municipal spending that's not for full-time town employees has to stop until you get your full salary. It's a question of priorities. Is a playground repair more valuable than you? a sewer repair? a tree removal? re-painting a hallway at city hall? Hiring 16, 17 and 18 year olds so that they're not out on the street during the summer and can help paying the bills in their households? I'm thinking the answer is case by case.

So you're making a salary in the mid $50,000's with full health benefits and a pension? With just a high school degree? I think in today's economy you're overpaid, even at the 10% furlough discount reducing you to $50,000 a year. If you're unhappy, try applying for a job in the private sector and see how far you get.

Unemployment is at 10%. Work is down across the board, especially in building trades and service sectors which are the areas that employ many town residents. The average person has been hurting for 3 years now. So your question really is how would I feel if I lost 10% of pay (in 2011 only, not in 2009 or 2010 when you got full salary) and still made $50,000 a year with full benefits for working just 31 and one-half hours a week? I'd be extremely grateful and would thank the Kearny taxpayer. And I'd be happy Kearny teenagers could still get part-time summer jobs at $7 an hour working for the town.

It's not about you. Thank goodness.

Guest IKnow

I'm not interested in you. I'm trying to understand your argument on YOUR posting on this web site.

In answer to your question on where does the money come from, there's a budget. It's absurd to think that all municipal spending that's not for full-time town employees has to stop until you get your full salary. It's a question of priorities. Is a playground repair more valuable than you? a sewer repair? a tree removal? re-painting a hallway at city hall? Hiring 16, 17 and 18 year olds so that they're not out on the street during the summer and can help paying the bills in their households? I'm thinking the answer is case by case.

So you're making a salary in the mid $50,000's with full health benefits and a pension? With just a high school degree? I think in today's economy you're overpaid, even at the 10% furlough discount reducing you to $50,000 a year. If you're unhappy, try applying for a job in the private sector and see how far you get.

Unemployment is at 10%. Work is down across the board, especially in building trades and service sectors which are the areas that employ many town residents. The average person has been hurting for 3 years now. So your question really is how would I feel if I lost 10% of pay (in 2011 only, not in 2009 or 2010 when you got full salary) and still made $50,000 a year with full benefits for working just 31 and one-half hours a week? I'd be extremely grateful and would thank the Kearny taxpayer. And I'd be happy Kearny teenagers could still get part-time summer jobs at $7 an hour working for the town.

It amazes me how people take statements made on this board and flip them to suit their needs. All of the last few answers stated how overpaid I am and how if I'm not happy, I should move on to another job. Where in any of my posts did I claim to be underpaid or unhappy with my job. My union willingly gave into furlough days to try to help the town, and you , the taxpayers, get through a tough economic time. My complaint is that while sacrifices are being made by all employees, the mayor and council want to go on with business as usual. Everyone needs to realize that a 10% reduction in hours worked is going to result in 10% reduction in services. We had seasonal employees that were laid off on January 1 because of this budget crisis. Are these summer hires needed in the playgrounds? No they're not a necessity, especially in times like the ones we're going through. The fact that the applicants are all friends of people in power just make it worse. Are the fireworks a necessity? Absolutely not, but God forbid this mayor and Council give up a photo op. Shared sacrifice means shared by all, not by just one group. We co-operated this past year in good faith. We were willing to listen again for next year, but that willingness fades as we gave back and everything else goes on business as usual. I'll say it again, hiring ANYBODY while you are furloughing your regular employees is just wrong.

Guest Resident

I am all for helping today's youth, The kids that work the playgrounds are high school students,

not college.

Fact of the matter these kids do nothing, Before the smoking ban they would smoke all day

and throw trash on the ground where they sit.

There job is to play board games paint,draw with the children.

Most of the time there are few children in the playground,unless there with there parents.

Another point is that the same students are working there every year no new faces.

Friends of the Mayor and Council maybe?

If the Mayor truly wants to save money, Do not hire summer staff this year,

and cancel the parade.

It is not fare to cut employees salary 10% and hire summer help.

Guest Guest

BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!!!

Guest Guest

It amazes me how people take statements made on this board and flip them to suit their needs. All of the last few answers stated how overpaid I am and how if I'm not happy, I should move on to another job. Where in any of my posts did I claim to be underpaid or unhappy with my job. My union willingly gave into furlough days to try to help the town, and you , the taxpayers, get through a tough economic time. My complaint is that while sacrifices are being made by all employees, the mayor and council want to go on with business as usual. Everyone needs to realize that a 10% reduction in hours worked is going to result in 10% reduction in services. We had seasonal employees that were laid off on January 1 because of this budget crisis. Are these summer hires needed in the playgrounds? No they're not a necessity, especially in times like the ones we're going through. The fact that the applicants are all friends of people in power just make it worse. Are the fireworks a necessity? Absolutely not, but God forbid this mayor and Council give up a photo op. Shared sacrifice means shared by all, not by just one group. We co-operated this past year in good faith. We were willing to listen again for next year, but that willingness fades as we gave back and everything else goes on business as usual. I'll say it again, hiring ANYBODY while you are furloughing your regular employees is just wrong.

Furlough? Sacrifices? Helping the town? Reduction in services? Is it time and a half or double time and a half when you work on sunday mornings at 9am northern end of Kearny Ave.riding around on that little vacuum cleaner? Who approved that? It could't wait until monday? Very clever working the system. Furloughing days but making it up, plus a little extra on sundays!

Guest Guest

You are so full of crap that anyone with half of a brain that you are concerned about everyone, not just you. YOU care about YOU. That useless dribble you posted about shared sacrifice is what everyone says to try not to look greedy but your eyes on on the prize 24/7. Do the unions in NJ look like they're OK with shared sacrifice when many others in the community's where they work, not live, are getting thrown out of their houses and apartments because they can't find work? Be honest, Ray Charles could see thru the crap you're trying to sell.

Guest In the Know

Furlough? Sacrifices? Helping the town? Reduction in services? Is it time and a half or double time and a half when you work on sunday mornings at 9am northern end of Kearny Ave.riding around on that little vacuum cleaner? Who approved that? It could't wait until monday? Very clever working the system. Furloughing days but making it up, plus a little extra on sundays!

Wrong. The Kearny workers you see on the Avenue on Saturday and Sunday are earning straight time. They're schedule is Tuesday to Saturday or Tuesday to Sunday (minus Saturday).

Guest Hypocrisy Buster

Are these summer hires needed in the playgrounds? No they're not a necessity, especially in times like the ones we're going through. The fact that the applicants are all friends of people in power just make it worse.

You have got to be kidding me! Unless you took some exam and scored at the top of a list (like for policeman or fireman) you got hired because YOU were a "friend" of whoever was in power at the time YOU got hired.

Your greed is gauling.

Guest Wondering

Oh please, it's a great way to introduce them to mommy and daddy getting them political payback jobs. Tell them they can't bring their cellphones to work, watch how many of them decide they don't want the jobs then. I'm not bitter and angry, I gave back when asked too. I just resent the mayor crying poverty, getting what he wanted, then going on like it's business as usual. Hiring while people are being laid off, and make no mistake, furloughs are layoffs, is morally wrong, and we won't forget when the mayor comes looking for help in the future.

Dear IKnow,

What were you, the "Immaculate Conception" of town employees, miraculously conceived at your computer terminal without any references from whomever was Mayor and Council at the time?

Guest Afriend

Ok, first I would like to say hello to all. I have not visited this site in a long time. However, with that being said I can't help but notice the rancor on this site. The one thing that made Kearny such a great town was that it was more than just a community of citizens. It was a town of friends. People helped each other, and looked after each other. We kept an eye out for each others kids, and self policed our interactions with each other over purchasing a cup of coffee at Sunset, Boyarkos, or the such.

The sad truth is that Kearny is reflection of our nation. The solidarity that garnered national/town pride has been destroyed. Everyone is so worried about what the guy next door has they no longer appreciate what they have. When citizens fight with public workers because the media and others tell them that public workers shouldn't enjoy a middle class life when they don't it is a ploy to distract them from the real problem. Private citizens need to understand that if the police, fire, and school services gets cut then what is left of our nation.

Think of this if you will please. The strongest period in U.S. economic history was the post WWII era. The American factories and labor force grew so much after the war because everyone wanted U.S. goods. Unions became strong in the public and private sectors, and our middle class was huge. There was no worries about municipal budgets because everyone was working and paying taxes. Now think to yourself. Do I own and American made car? Do I shop at Wallmart? Do I buy my goods from U.S. companies with a Union bug? Now look at your answers to these questions and realize if you are part of the problem, or part of the solution.

Forget that you are republican or democrat. Forget that your are black, white, or hispanic. Forget that you are unemployed, a union worker, or a private worker. Remember that your an American form Kearny. Start acting like it. Take ownership of your actions and interactions. Start asking the right people why, and stop putting and dragging down you neighbor.

Good Luck & Bless You All

Shogun...