Midland Ave Building purchase

conceicaod

Guest Inside Eyes

How does everyone feel about the board of ed buying the building on Midland Ave?

The purchase of the building on Midland Avenue has to be on the top of the list of stupid things done by our BOE. Who buys a building, that will be used by the public, that has limited or no parking? It was such a "bargain" because it is a white elephant. If it was given to the BOE for nothing--they should have realized that it has no parking. The best thing about the place is you can go to the Greeks for coffee, lunch, etc. and, of course, you can go to Elm Dairy for your pick-its. Other than those two advantages, I can not think of any reason to buy a building that currently has it's sidewalk in a mess--what is with that?

If the board can find someone to buy the building, my advise would be, to sell it. Who ever buys it must do something for parking--like knock the building done and start over. The views from the building are really for the birds--location is not a plus.

Guest Kearny Citizen

How does everyone feel about the board of ed buying the building on Midland Ave?

What did the building cost?

Where is the funding coming from?

What is the cost to maitain the building?

Where is that funding coming from?

What will the building be used for?

Why was the building purchased?

These are some of the questions that need to asked before giving an educated answer to your question. Its not as simple as "how do you feel about the purchase of the building"

Guest Couple more key questions

These are some of the questions that need to asked before giving an educated answer to your question. Its not as simple as "how do you feel about the purchase of the building"

All very good questions.

You also want to ask who the Board of Education bought the building from.

Get a copy of the appraisal (public document).

Get a copy of the purchase contract (public document).

Get a copy of the Board's building inspection report.

What was the deal? With whom?

From what I've read, some of the costs of acquiring the property are as follows:

975,000 Cost of Property

80,000 - 120,000 Removal of Oil Tanks (estimated as there is some confusion on the exact amount)

180,000 Architect fees

25,000 Legal fees

Renovation costs are still unknown

The other costs are hard to know unless there is a direct access to the Board. You can ask for an open public record act request (OPRA), but since no one has a clear idea what is being done, the true dollar amount will be hard to come by. I believe everyone on this board can agree the cost will not be covered by a 1.2 million dollar grant.

As far as why the purchase of the property, it was to move the Board of Ed offices to Midland Ave and increase classroom space in hopes to make Franklin School a Middle School. My concern is that the move will not free up enough space at Franklin School to justify the 1mil + dollar expenditure, not to mention the fact that the property was bought as-is, which raises a red flag. Anyhow, in my opinion, the community and students will not benefit from this project. As a candidate running for the Board of Ed this year, I thought by bringing up this topic I'd introduce a project that has been talked about and acted upon which many, if not most, Kearny residents are not aware of. If you have further thoughts on this issue, I'd appreciate them. Thank you.

Guest Guest

From what I've read, some of the costs of acquiring the property are as follows:

975,000 Cost of Property

80,000 - 120,000 Removal of Oil Tanks (estimated as there is some confusion on the exact amount)

180,000 Architect fees

25,000 Legal fees

The other costs are hard to know unless there is a direct access to the Board. You can ask for an open public record act request (OPRA), but since no one has a clear idea what is being done, the true dollar amount will be hard to come by. I believe everyone on this board can agree the cost will not be covered by a 1.2 million dollar grant.

As far as why the purchase of the property, it was to move the Board of Ed offices to Midland Ave and increase classroom space in hopes to make Franklin School a Middle School. My concern is that the move will not free up enough space at Franklin School to justify the 1mil + dollar expenditure, not to mention the fact that the property was bought as-is, which raises a red flag. Anyhow, in my opinion, the community and students will not benefit from this project. As a candidate running for the Board of Ed this year, I thought by bringing up this topic I'd introduce a project that has been talked about and acted upon which many, if not most, Kearny residents are not aware of. If you have further thoughts on this issue, I'd appreciate them. Thank you.

I'm not certain, but it was my understanding the the majority of the cost of this building came from grant money specifically allocated to this project. Perhaps someone who does know for sure can clarify. :rolleyes:

Guest Guest

975,000 Cost of Property

180,000 Architect fees

25,000 Legal fees

Mr. Conceicao, that is what they tell everyone. The Middle School idea is a thorn in everyone`s side except F.D.& D.S.. The building on midland ave is a waste of TAXPAYERS MONEY. They hide everything they do. We find out after they spend the money. Estimate for Architects $180,000.00 dollars, guarantee that price goes up. Right Dave!!!!!

Mr. Conceicao, that is what they tell everyone. The Middle School idea is a thorn in everyone`s side except F.D.& D.S.. The building on midland ave is a waste of TAXPAYERS MONEY. They hide everything they do. We find out after they spend the money. Estimate for Architects $180,000.00 dollars, guarantee that price goes up. Right Dave!!!!!

I honestly hope to sell the Midland Ave building and cut the town loses. Also hope that Franklin school doesn't become a middle school. Unfortunately, I need 4 other board members to agree with me. Any support you can give me would be great, but you also need to make your voices heard when the board of ed has there meetings.

Lets face it a much better buy would have been either Kearny and Seeley or old Dr Young's house at the corner of Grand and Seeley which could be a nice bed and breakfast house

Guest Uninformed Taxpayer

WOW I CAN SEE THEY ARE USING YOU.

If by THEY you mean the taxpayers than I'm with you. I, for one, believe that in this case no one bothered to review the facts before making a decision. If other uninformed taxpayers learn about the consequences of this sort of action taken by the current board members and supporting staff, they will try to vote out whoever was calling the shots. As a new guest to KOTW, I appreacite more topics such as this to get the opinion of the community which is what the current board members should have done in the first place. I wonder if someone from the board of ed would extend the courtesy of explaining why they supported the acquisition of this unnecessary facility.

Guest Guest

I honestly hope to sell the Midland Ave building and cut the town loses. Also hope that Franklin school doesn't become a middle school. Unfortunately, I need 4 other board members to agree with me. Any support you can give me would be great, but you also need to make your voices heard when the board of ed has there meetings.

When you speak up it falls on deaf ears. They don`t take kindly to suggestions. They do as they please,see for yourself check the contracts given to the architects!!!!

Guest Separation

When you speak up it falls on deaf ears. They don`t take kindly to suggestions. They do as they please,see for yourself check the contracts given to the architects!!!!

All this talk about "they", can you be specific. I would not like the Boe members trying to do what is proper associated with the members who are making bad decisions with no regard for the kids or taxpayers.

Guest Facts

I'm not certain, but it was my understanding the the majority of the cost of this building came from grant money specifically allocated to this project. Perhaps someone who does know for sure can clarify. :rolleyes:

Some of the above numbers are accurate. The building was purchased for $975,000.00 1 week before last years election. $20,000.00 in attorney, closing cost fees, title insurance, etc. Soil tests were done prior to purchasing the building via boring samples......test concluded contaminated soil and further testing recommended. Stevenson, Santos, Schalago, McDonald, Doran, Doffont and Sgalia ALL VOTED FOR BUYING THIS BUILDING, whether Stevenson says this started with Mr. Mooney or not they did not have to buy this building!

Now read the minutes of the June 30, 2010 special meeting. The renovation to Midland Ave. was awarded for $1.612 million dollars. What they do not tell you and it is not in the minutes, nor was there a vote for giving the architect $190,000.00 for Midland Ave, $120,000.00 for tank removal and testing, approx. $70,000.00 for material and labor for BOE personnel to renovate a portion of building, additional architect fees for a required variance for the building and additional costs for unforseen issues which have "popped" up already, not to mention a year sitting vacant to date.

So enough with the statement that we are getting grant money for this piece of crap. The bottom line is it is still going to cost the taxpayers over 2 million dollars when all is said and done and that is if it is not declared a superfund cleanup site! Final soil tests are not even done yet! Oh and did anyone mention that if for some reason that Midland Ave and Franklin School are not done properly the $1.2 million grant is not awarded, so now the taxpayers EAT over 3 million dollars. Classrooms MUST be installed in Midland Ave and Board of Ed offices converted to classrooms or no grant money. FACT!

Guest guest

There is only one question that will teel the whole story. Who was the building bought from to give the owner a seemingly overpriced shack for the money? Follow the money and get your answer.

All this talk about "they", can you be specific. I would not like the Boe members trying to do what is proper associated with the members who are making bad decisions with no regard for the kids or taxpayers.

On March 30, I will be attending The Kearny Taxpayers Association meeting that will take place at 7:30 pm in the Lithuanian Catholic Community Center . The LCC center is located at 6 Davis Ave in Kearny. I was invited for a question and answer section about running for the Board of Ed. I was advised that other candidates will also attend. If anyone is interested in going, you are more than welcome to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

The purchase of the building on Midland Avenue has to be on the top of the list of stupid things done by our BOE. Who buys a building, that will be used by the public, that has limited or no parking? It was such a "bargain" because it is a white elephant. If it was given to the BOE for nothing--they should have realized that it has no parking. The best thing about the place is you can go to the Greeks for coffee, lunch, etc. and, of course, you can go to Elm Dairy for your pick-its. Other than those two advantages, I can not think of any reason to buy a building that currently has it's sidewalk in a mess--what is with that?

If the board can find someone to buy the building, my advise would be, to sell it. Who ever buys it must do something for parking--like knock the building done and start over. The views from the building are really for the birds--location is not a plus.

The Greeks is a great reason to buy the building. Maybe they should knock it down and put up a parking lot for the Greeks

Guest DIZZY

Maybe you should be aware the property was bought before FD was the superintendent, i guess no one told you that. I think you need to get the FACT STRAIGHT.

Guest Guest

Maybe you should be aware the property was bought before FD was the superintendent, i guess no one told you that. I think you need to get the FACT STRAIGHT.

Before or after FD does not matter--the building is not worth what was paid. By the time the BOE/Superintendent fix it up, we, the taxpayers, will be taking a beating. I noticed that FD seems to be in no rush to move into the site. I am sure it is because the building is in need of repair. Why would you (the BOE and the Superintendent--whoever that was) buy someone's white elephant? Also, the building is removed from any school--no way to keep an eye on his people at work without "getting out of the office." This might be a good thing as ** used to make his daily pilgrimage to "Top's" back in the day. "The Stack" is also in range--right **?

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Not So

ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!! This property was purchased April 2010, 1 week before last years BOE election. Seems a little fishy doesn't it? By the way Frank Digesere was the Superintendent! I guess nobody told you that your are brain dead! Check your facts.

Guest Will you vote for me if...

ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!! This property was purchased April 2010, 1 week before last years BOE election. Seems a little fishy doesn't it? By the way Frank Digesere was the Superintendent! I guess nobody told you that your are brain dead! Check your facts.

One week before election day sounds awfully fishy. Wasn't the building bought from the City of Hope Church? Wasn't that the group that came out in support of the teacher who was preaching in the classroom?

975,000 Cost of Property

180,000 Architect fees

25,000 Legal fees

Franklin school I believe is already a K-8 school, the theory is to free up room for more students that will eventually come from "Schulyr crossing" the new apartment complex thats to be built by Russo Development

• 2 years later...
Guest Disgusted on Devon

975,000 Cost of Property

180,000 Architect fees

25,000 Legal fees

The White Elephant is now Wooly Mammoth proportions. The cost of purchase and environmental remediation already exceed $2 million. Renovation costs for classrooms will be on top of that, which will bring the total to over $3 million. The grant was only for only $1.2 million, most of which is for new classrooms to be built at Franklin School, NOT Midland Avenue. To make matters worse, not a SINGLE PENNY of that grant has been received by the school district. This is a total disaster that will cost Kearny taxpayers for years to come. This was former Superintendent Frank DiGesere's and Board Member Bernadette McDonald's creation. The school district will pay the price with increased debt service payments -- taxpayer money that is desperately needed for teachers and programs, not embarrassing Wooly Mammoths.

Guest O'Malley Gotta Go

The White Elephant is now Wooly Mammoth proportions. The cost of purchase and environmental remediation already exceed $2 million. Renovation costs for classrooms will be on top of that, which will bring the total to over $3 million. The grant was only for only $1.2 million, most of which is for new classrooms to be built at Franklin School, NOT Midland Avenue. To make matters worse, not a SINGLE PENNY of that grant has been received by the school district. This is a total disaster that will cost Kearny taxpayers for years to come. This was former Superintendent Frank DiGesere's and Board Member Bernadette McDonald's creation. The school district will pay the price with increased debt service payments -- taxpayer money that is desperately needed for teachers and programs, not embarrassing Wooly Mammoths.

Increased costs, yes. $3 million? Not even close to $2 million. The money's in the budget with reimbursement waiting for some work to be completed so that the board can be reimbursed. But I guess that three years of delays created by the Fab5 don't factor into your calculations for any increased costs. That seems very convenient since President O'Malley and company delayed all forward movement on the project since they began running the district three years ago. They alone are responsible for the current mess. The project would cost the budgeted $1.2 million if they completed it when it was first purchased. The Kearny High project is in the same jeopardy with increased costs due to intentional delays and bad decisions by the Fab5. Everything with them is politics first. Our children don't even factor into their decisions.