The Governors Speech

Guest guest

Guest guest

I have watched the Governors speech and I agree that you cannot take away collective bargaining. Thats not healthy for anyone. One difference I was wondering from another source was as to what the difference is from switching from BC/BS Traditional Plan to BC/BS Shield TenPoint Plan brings into the negotiations. I never even heard about it. Severally, as respective units, the teachers have had it too good for too long. I am close to 50 years old and some of my high school teachers are still at the same school, teaching the same subject as if it is still the same year they started teaching. I think they still refer to the President as President Reagan or Carter. Get out and give the new, modern teachers and their innovative ways a chance. More concessions is not even a question, it's an answer. The same thing as the fireman which is a part time job. That issue has also been brought up. Part time job equals part time pay, 401K if you wish, and get your own healthcare plan. If you want to work 5 8 hour days or 4 10 hour days thats different. You might actually stay awake and be semi-productive. This 100K for sleeping, which is totally unacceptable and destructive for any town, has got to end. It's a perfect example of children just settling for "that sounds OK" instead of "I can do better." It stagnates the waters and clogs innovation up. Why go to college and possibly do something meaningfull with life when its more comfortable for Dad to see the Mayor and get me on the Fire Department. Is that seriously the best you want for your kid? Some parents you must be? The Cops seem for the most part have their act together. They are sorely undermanned, have no modern equiptment, yet achieve what others deem impossible. Safety. They need better resources and once again, better technology by people who haven't "settled."

Guest Harrison's Bravest

I have watched the Governors speech and I agree that you cannot take away collective bargaining. Thats not healthy for anyone. One difference I was wondering from another source was as to what the difference is from switching from BC/BS Traditional Plan to BC/BS Shield TenPoint Plan brings into the negotiations. I never even heard about it. Severally, as respective units, the teachers have had it too good for too long. I am close to 50 years old and some of my high school teachers are still at the same school, teaching the same subject as if it is still the same year they started teaching. I think they still refer to the President as President Reagan or Carter. Get out and give the new, modern teachers and their innovative ways a chance. More concessions is not even a question, it's an answer. The same thing as the fireman which is a part time job. That issue has also been brought up. Part time job equals part time pay, 401K if you wish, and get your own healthcare plan. If you want to work 5 8 hour days or 4 10 hour days thats different. You might actually stay awake and be semi-productive. This 100K for sleeping, which is totally unacceptable and destructive for any town, has got to end. It's a perfect example of children just settling for "that sounds OK" instead of "I can do better." It stagnates the waters and clogs innovation up. Why go to college and possibly do something meaningfull with life when its more comfortable for Dad to see the Mayor and get me on the Fire Department. Is that seriously the best you want for your kid? Some parents you must be? The Cops seem for the most part have their act together. They are sorely undermanned, have no modern equiptment, yet achieve what others deem impossible. Safety. They need better resources and once again, better technology by people who haven't "settled."

Barney, you are just too slick. You're wasting your time writing tickets for double-parking, you should be the commissioner. BTW, we're having lobster tails & steak today, stop by for lunch. It will be a nice change from your usual donuts and coffee.

Guest guest

For the 101st time, I am not a Cop, but it is amusing. Apparently you believe everything you read, thats why it's so easy to get you guys all flustered and wound up, and beat up. It's like playing with an interactive toy, only better. Once again none of you can afford to dine in the restaurants that I frequent. You don't have money that long. I think that your family thinks of fine dining as any restaurant that has a drive thru window. Give up this sorry battle of wits, you are never gonna win. A Good Enough Diploma only takes you so far in life, and you have hit the summit of that limit.

Guest guest

What Commissioner of what? The post about the Governor's speech was just my, one man's opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn't insult anyone, I just caled it how I see it. Your reply/opinion was that you were going to eat a steak. Is that what your gonna do when your paying 10% into your pension, 30% of your medical costs and a raise freeze for five years, say you are going to eat a steak? Thats a very poor response to a current important issue. I asked what the difference is between the BC/BS Traditional Plan and the BC/BS TenPoint Plan that the Hoboken workers agreed to and I though I would get some type of info. if anyone knew anything about it because I don't. Respond to the issue please. It's impotant for many of NJ public employees.

Guest guest

You disagree with the Governors response of the words "me first." Yet you have made his point shine brightly by saying we are having steaks and lobster today while many members of the community that you brag about saving lives do not have adequate funds to sustain proper nutrition for their families, medical care, and for the seniors to get life sustaining medication. You have illustrated better than he ever said your sense of entitlement to the highest pay, best medical care, and outrageous pensions that are underfunded by you while the remainder of the community suffers. "Me first" is your motto, your sense of entitlement to the best without regard to the very people you serve. Now I see better than ever where he gets that from. Thank you for your support of the Governors soon to be mandated proposals. Why rally and whine against him when you agree by your own words that what he says is the truth. "Me first" has to end for the benefit of ALL the citzens but you cannot see that. Now enjoy your meal while some citizens are eating only a bowl of soup for dinner tonight. "Me first."

Guest guest

I saw the rally in Trenton by the Mefirsts and what the final disposition is will be you eventually paying 10% to your pension, 30% or more to your medical plans, and getting less lucrative pensions. I just wish the nepotism and patronage jobs could be flushed out first to avoid that situation, but the nature of corruption of getting the nepotism and patronage jobs would probably take 100 years to flush out. Why you would insult the residents who are struggling financially by saying that we, the fireman, are having steaks and lobster tails for lunch? This is why the people are now alienating you because they see by comments such as that "Me First" attitude is alive and well and are seeing the greed behind that mask of we save lives. Not a good move.

Guest Taxpaying resident

I saw the rally in Trenton by the Mefirsts and what the final disposition is will be you eventually paying 10% to your pension, 30% or more to your medical plans, and getting less lucrative pensions. I just wish the nepotism and patronage jobs could be flushed out first to avoid that situation, but the nature of corruption of getting the nepotism and patronage jobs would probably take 100 years to flush out. Why you would insult the residents who are struggling financially by saying that we, the fireman, are having steaks and lobster tails for lunch? This is why the people are now alienating you because they see by comments such as that "Me First" attitude is alive and well and are seeing the greed behind that mask of we save lives. Not a good move.

Your hypocrisy is showing. You pontificate (look it up) about a FD lunch yet you enjoy unlimited sick time at my and other taxpayers expense. Where's that "Me First" mantra when it comes to cheating me and other taxpayers out of the money it takes to hire someone at time & 1/2 when you decide to call out sick to play golf or go to a ball game?

You're not the brightest person on KOTW but you may be the most oblivious.

Guest guest

There is an easy answer to your question/remark. Harrison foolishly years ago agreed to pay all public employes of the town upon retirment 1 day pay for one vacation day and 1/2 day pay for 1 sick day. When many employees protected under Frank Rodgers dome of the special people retired after working 40 or 50 years, the town didn't have enough to pay them all the money. One secretary, everybody knows who, got about $500,000.00 or more for unused sick and vacation. So did many other pets, but maybe just not that much. They took vacations and called in sick but, whoops, somebody forgot to deduct the days they took. The town HAD TO make the unlimited sick time deal with the cops because the town didn't have any money left after paying off these people. As to sick time for the HPD, there is a NO OVERTIME POLICY so nobody gets replaced if someone calls in sick unless God himself, McDonough, approves it. The HFD only works 80 days a year. Three months of work on these 24 hour sleepovers, then 9 months off. I hope that helps you out.

Guest guest

Where did this going to a ballgame or playing golf come from? I said I would be out for months. Most of that time would be spent on the beach at my condo in another state recovering from my life threatening cold. The warm weather does help such a situation. I don't even play golf. Whoever you are you getting your information from doesn't know me very well. Now leave me alone, I am trying to pick out suntan lotions to help with my cold.

Guest Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYT.

March 9, 2011

Christie’s Talk Is Blunt, but Not Always StraightBy RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑA NYT.

New Jersey’s public-sector unions routinely pressure the State Legislature to give them what they fail to win in contract talks. Most government workers pay nothing for health insurance. Concessions by school employees would have prevented any cuts in school programs last year.

Statements like those are at the core of Gov. Chris Christie’s campaign to cut state spending by getting tougher on unions. They are not, however, accurate.

In fact, on the occasions when the Legislature granted the unions new benefits, it was for pensions, which were not subject to collective bargaining — and it has not happened in eight years. In reality, state employees have paid 1.5 percent of their salaries toward health insurance since 2007, in addition to co-payments and deductibles, and since last spring, many local government workers, including teachers, do as well. The few dozen school districts where employees agreed to concessions last year still saw layoffs and cuts in academic programs.

“Clearly there has been a pattern of the governor playing fast and loose with the details,” said Brigid Harrison, a political science professor at Montclair State University. “But so far, he’s been adept at getting the public to believe what he says.”

Mr. Christie, a Republican who took office in January 2010, would hardly be the first politician to indulge in hyperbole or gloss over facts. But his misstatements, exaggerations and carefully constructed claims belie the national image he has built as a blunt talker who gives straight answers to hard questions, especially about budgets and labor relations. Candor is central to Mr. Christie’s appeal, and a review of his public statements over the past year shows some of them do not hold up to scrutiny.

The governor declined to be interviewed for this article. His aides dismissed the notion that he had a problem with accuracy, and noted his unusual willingness to face interrogation — if he is not at a town-hall-style forum, it seems, he is on a television chat show.

Mr. Christie’s communications director, Maria Comella, said, “If a result of him being engaged directly with the people of New Jersey is a story that splits hairs, we’re happy to take that trade-off any day.”

Misstatements have been central to Mr. Christie’s worst public stumbles — about how the state managed to miss out on a $400 million education grant last year, for example, and whether he was in touch enough while he was in Florida during the blizzard in December — and his rare admissions that he was wrong. But Peter J. Woolley, a politics professor and polling director at Fairleigh Dickinson University, said there had been no sign, so far, that these issues had much effect on the governor’s political standing.

“People prefer directness to detail,” Professor Woolley said. “People know it’s not unusual for politicians to take the shortcut in public debate, that they’re not academics who are going to qualify everything.”

Some overstatements have worked their way into the governor’s routine public comments, like a claim that he balanced the budget last year without raising taxes; in truth, he cut deeply into tax credits for the elderly and the poor. But inaccuracies also crop up when he is challenged, and his instinct seems to be to turn it into an attack on someone else instead of giving an answer.

When New Jersey narrowly lost $400 million in the federal Education Department’s Race to the Top competition last summer because of missing data in its application, Mr. Christie held a news conference blaming “bureaucrats in Washington” and said state officials had tried to supply the missing numbers at a hearing. It did not take long for the Obama administration to release a recording showing that, in reality, federal officials had requested the information at the hearing, and the New Jersey team had not had it.

Mr. Christie fired Bret D. Schundler, his education commissioner at the time, accusing him of lying about the hearing. But Mr. Schundler said he had warned the governor before the news conference that what he was about to tell reporters was false.

“His entire point was he likes to be on offense rather than defense,” Mr. Schundler said days later. “He wanted to make this all about the Obama administration’s picayune rules rather than our error.”

A few months later, in November, when the Assembly speaker, Sheila Y. Oliver, a Democrat, and the governor were sparring over pension issues, she said she had requested a meeting with the governor. Mr. Christie called that “a lie.” Ms. Oliver’s office promptly produced text messages from the Assembly staff making the request.

Mr. Christie’s aides said that those messages had been somewhat unclear, and that, in any case, the governor had been unaware of them when he made his remark. But Democrats said the illuminating fact was that the governor, without investigating first, questioned a critic’s integrity.

“Everything is an assault, which makes it hard for adversaries to catch their breath and question the substance of what he’s saying before he moves on to the next thing,” said Assemblyman John Wisniewski, the state Democratic chairman.

“A lot of politicians would react cautiously, but not this governor,” said Professor Harrison, of Montclair State University. “He always wants to stay on the offensive, and he’s not going to say, ‘Let me look into that.’ ”

After the record snowfall in December, Mr. Christie defended his decision to stay on vacation in Florida with his family, saying that he had spoken with the acting governor, Stephen M. Sweeney, during the storm. When Mr. Sweeney, a Democrat and the State Senate president, said they had not talked, the governor attributed his own misstatement to lack of sleep.

Whether he talked with Mr. Sweeney or received a message from Ms. Oliver may be trivial, but Mr. Christie’s very public campaign against the unions has greater consequence. His statements about state workers are critical to his public image and central to his political agenda.

Political analysts, Democrats and even some of his Republican allies say that Mr. Christie could — and sometimes does — make most of his points without resorting to questionable claims. It is beyond dispute that New Jersey is in terrible financial shape, that the governor has made big cuts in spending, that the pension funds are headed for insolvency and that state workers pay little for generous health benefits compared with those in the private sector.

But in going beyond those facts, the governor sometimes wanders into gray areas. In addition to claims about unions circumventing collective bargaining to “get what they want” from the Legislature, he has frequently said that “there are dozens of states in this country” that do not let public-sector unions bargain collectively (there are, experts said, eight); that New Jersey’s last round of union negotiations, under a Democratic governor, were not adversarial (there were heated protests at the State House); and that the vast majority of teachers in the state get free health care (they did until last year).

Professor Woolley, the political scientist and pollster, said that he did not know whether Mr. Christie had embellished any more than other politicians, but that as a Republican in a Democratic-leaning state who promotes himself as a paragon of straight talk, he might need to stick to the truth more than most.

“The blunter you are, the more visible you are, the more you are never without an answer,” Professor Woolley said, “the higher your risks.”

Guest Harrison's Bravest

Your hypocrisy is showing. You pontificate (look it up) about a FD lunch yet you enjoy unlimited sick time at my and other taxpayers expense. Where's that "Me First" mantra when it comes to cheating me and other taxpayers out of the money it takes to hire someone at time & 1/2 when you decide to call out sick to play golf or go to a ball game?

You're not the brightest person on KOTW but you may be the most oblivious.

Wow! "Taxpaying Resident" nailed Barney good. He must know Barney personally (not the brightest person).

Guest Harrison's Bravest

There is an easy answer to your question/remark. Harrison foolishly years ago agreed to pay all public employes of the town upon retirment 1 day pay for one vacation day and 1/2 day pay for 1 sick day. When many employees protected under Frank Rodgers dome of the special people retired after working 40 or 50 years, the town didn't have enough to pay them all the money. One secretary, everybody knows who, got about $500,000.00 or more for unused sick and vacation. So did many other pets, but maybe just not that much. They took vacations and called in sick but, whoops, somebody forgot to deduct the days they took. The town HAD TO make the unlimited sick time deal with the cops because the town didn't have any money left after paying off these people. As to sick time for the HPD, there is a NO OVERTIME POLICY so nobody gets replaced if someone calls in sick unless God himself, McDonough, approves it. The HFD only works 80 days a year. Three months of work on these 24 hour sleepovers, then 9 months off. I hope that helps you out.

Well Barney, you'll be out of a job soon then you won't have to be so concerned with other town employees. BTW, the HFD works 91 twenty-four hour shifts or 42 hours a week, which is more than you.

One more thing ....I just checked the chair outside, no Tin Man yet.

Guest guest

In my opinion, I don't care whatever you mean by me getting upset by this taxpaying comment. What the hell are you talking about. The Barney tin man comment was so original and exciting.....YAWN. There is a world outside of the firehouse and the mini-firehouse that you have set up in your garage for the next wave of nepotism fireman, your kids, can get used to "the Life," like an on going criminal enterprise that has given Italians a bad name. If your kids ever do better than you with a new and advanced G.E.D., maybe there is some hope, but I much rather feel that they will do no better than their loser father and settle for the mediocrity of being a glorified ambulance driver who steals the public money. Now go watch one of your bravest pals get his butt kicked and humiliated by a much smaller opponent. "Wow Daddy, can I get my a** beat like a coward when I get older too?" Whatta J/O.

Guest guest

Couldn't be me. I would never had said fireman "work." OK, atending the frat sleepovers 91 days a year, three months for between $100,000.00 and $150,000.00, then 9 months off. How can these West Hudson Towns pay that kind of money for a group that do minimum work, if anything. They should replace the fire engines with ice cream trucks so the town can at least make some money off these losers.

Guest Harrison's Bravest

In my opinion, I don't care whatever you mean by me getting upset by this taxpaying comment. What the hell are you talking about. The Barney tin man comment was so original and exciting.....YAWN. There is a world outside of the firehouse and the mini-firehouse that you have set up in your garage for the next wave of nepotism fireman, your kids, can get used to "the Life," like an on going criminal enterprise that has given Italians a bad name. If your kids ever do better than you with a new and advanced G.E.D., maybe there is some hope, but I much rather feel that they will do no better than their loser father and settle for the mediocrity of being a glorified ambulance driver who steals the public money. Now go watch one of your bravest pals get his butt kicked and humiliated by a much smaller opponent. "Wow Daddy, can I get my a** beat like a coward when I get older too?" Whatta J/O.

We're already beginning arrangements to hire all the sons of Harrison's Bravest. We're coaching them on test taking so they'll finish high on the list, but of course they automatically go to the top of the list if their father's on the job (wink, wink)! And since Barney's job is being eliminated there will be plenty of money to hire our kids. After 30 years on the job and making all this O.T. I have so much money I'm running out of banks to put it in. We're having a big lobster fest in a couple of days, stop by to see when it is, you're invited Barney (bring your doggie-bag and your wife).

Guest guest

Don't bother me now. I am busy planning when I am going to use a few months of unlimited sick time over the summer and coming up with an excuse. The doctor gave me a good list of ailments I can use. Now be a good boy and shut up.

Guest guest

You are really smart guys. Staying more than 30 years when you just got you longevity slashed by 4%, cannot get more than 65% pension and your healthcare contributions are going up to 30%. Thats a way to go. You should be an advisor to the state union, as long as there is a union that which shouldn't be for much longer anyway. Another jerkoff fireman putting his boot in his mouth.

Guest Guest

You are really smart guys. Staying more than 30 years when you just got you longevity slashed by 4%, cannot get more than 65% pension and your healthcare contributions are going up to 30%. Thats a way to go. You should be an advisor to the state union, as long as there is a union that which shouldn't be for much longer anyway. Another jerkoff fireman putting his boot in his mouth.

Be careful Barney, I could always put the other boot in your candy ass.

Guest Guest

You can't even pee in a cup, and you want to put a boot in my ass. Whenever your ready wimp.

Guest Guest

You can't even pee in a cup, and you want to put a boot in my ass. Whenever your ready wimp.

How tough is this guy, challenging me from the safety of his momma's basement. Sounds like one of Barney's friends.

Guest guest

I am thinking about when I take the summer off with my unlimited sick time. I think that a stay at my condo combined with a cruise to break it up, they how some fantastic deals right now, might be the way to go. When school starts, I might be feeling better or stretch my sickness and healing out a few more weeks. Sound good?

Guest LEROY MORS

Superintendents for N.J. charter schools able to skirt salary caps imposed by Christie

Published: Sunday, March 20, 2011, 9:05 PM

By The Associated Press

John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerGov. Chris Christie talks to students at the Robert Treat Academy in Newark in this January file photo. Christie announced the approval of new charter schools.

TRENTON — While New Jersey's public schools are facing salary caps for their superintendents, charter schools don't have the same restrictions.

According to a report in The Record today, some heads of small charter schools earn far more than the limits proposed for public school administrators by Gov. Chris Christie.

For example, the director of Teaneck's Community Charter School, which has about 300 students, made more than $200,000 in 2009-2010 when salary, bonuses and reimbursement of unused time are factored in.

That's more than the town's interim public schools superintendent receives for overseeing seven schools with about 4,500 students.

"It seems somewhat unfair that you're asking charters and (traditional) publics to compete for the same funds, but the rules are different," Ardie Walser, president of the township school board, told the newspaper.

Christie's new formula caps salaries for heads of school districts with less than 250 students at $120,000. The scale increases with the number of students but is capped at $175,000 for superintendents with districts serving more than 3,000 students.

The governor declined to respond to questions from the newspaper about the difference in policy. Christie has indicated he favors the expansion of charter schools in the state. New Jersey currently has 73 charter schools and 23 more are scheduled to open.

Charter schools are publicly funded but operate independently of local school districts. Salary data for the 2009-2010 school year show that overall, charter school salaries are lower than at public schools, the Record reported. Charter school teachers made about 30 percent less than their public school counterparts.

Most administrators make less than $100,000, although 63 surpassed six figures.

Teaneck Community Charter School president Karla Foy said superintendent Rex Shaw's salary was an anomaly due to the school's transition to a new building.

"He went above and beyond what senior administrators do in most schools," Foy told The Record. "Only with his career's worth of experience would we have ended up where we did."

Foy said the school's current principal earns about $123,000.

At Englewood on the Palisades, school director Anthony Barckett testified at a court hearing that he earned over $152,000 in 2009-2010 for what amounted to part-time work.

Many charter school directors aren't lavishly compensated and must wear many hats, according to Carlos Perez, executive director of the New Jersey Charter School Association. Vincent DeRosa, the founder and principal at the 109-student Classical Academy in Clifton, made $85,490 last year and, in addition to teaching, does minor repairs and other jobs.

"It's a complex and difficult skill set," Perez told the newspaper. "And a lot of time it's personal. Vincent has poured his entire life into this school."

Source: The Record

TO LEROY

this simply proves what everyone has known & said from the beginning. This is about destroying Unions and privatizing schools. So Christie's rethuglican friends can find news ways to steal from the government.

RECALL CHRIS CHRISTIE

Let put a few bankers in jail along the way.

It is time to stop nickle-and-diming the middle class!

The wealthy in this country have not paid there fair share of taxes in twenty years.

That is why local governments are strapped.

Christie lost the 800 million race to the top money,

Christie cut the school budget by 1 BILLION dollars, but he didn't lower the deficit or our property taxes which he promised, instead

He gave the Billion dollars to the rich folks. (via a tax cut for people making 400K or more)

That is a transfer of wealth not a cost cutting measure,

He stole from school kids to give to people who have plenty already.

Stop believing the lies! TAX THE RICH!

Guest Guest

Much to the Gutless FF dismay, I planned my 10 day cruise already, using my unlimited sick time of course, and I decided not to take my laptop with me. No business while recovering from my illness, whichever one I decide to choose. I am saving my vacation time for the holidays so it's gonna be on the high seas for me this summer. The cruise is going to cost about what the Gutless have to pay to keep their medical benefits for the year. Top shelf all the way. That makes it even better. I will say Bon Voyage before I leave, OK. Now be a good boy and take out the garbage before your wife throws you out of the house. She's pissed enough at you already. Books, not booze.