Fires

Guest guest

Still no fires in Harrison while wheel barrels full of cash keep getting pumped into the Harrison Fire Dept. like the town doesn't even need the money. Its like filling up a car by pumping gas into it while there is a giant hole in the gas tank. You can keep pumping gas into that kind of car, the money will keep going up, but with no results or use. V o l u t e e r s a r e n e e d e d.

Guest Harrison Taxpayer

Still no fires in Harrison while wheel barrels full of cash keep getting pumped into the Harrison Fire Dept. like the town doesn't even need the money. Its like filling up a car by pumping gas into it while there is a giant hole in the gas tank. You can keep pumping gas into that kind of car, the money will keep going up, but with no results or use. V o l u t e e r s a r e n e e d e d.

I think we need to bring the FD up to full strength, to have one engine in service at times is dangerous. And I don't want volunteers who may not even be in town when I need them.

Guest Harrison Taxpayer

February 20, 2011 and still not a stitch of work from the $5 million dollar fire department. Money to pay for out of towners to keep the residents down. Nice.

What Barney doesn't understand is Harrison residents love their fire dept. It's comforting to know they are 2 minutes from my house.

February 20, 2011 and still not a stitch of work from the $5 million dollar fire department. Money to pay for out of towners to keep the residents down. Nice.

While I personally think firefighters should have to live inside a 15/20 minute bubble for recall purposes and bird dog duties... what good are you when you leave an hour + away and are needed.

It's important for Harrison to have a career Department. The system works just find right now. Eventually a merge with Kearny might make sense to save on chief salaries.

A career? It's a job. FF do not get promoted for doing anything special, just a manipulated bogus civil service test. The jump from ff to captain is over $20,000.00. Nice raise for year round incompetence then just getiing "lucky" on a not needed promotional exam.

A career? It's a job. FF do not get promoted for doing anything special, just a manipulated bogus civil service test. The jump from ff to captain is over $20,000.00. Nice raise for year round incompetence then just getiing "lucky" on a not needed promotional exam.

I believe also that we should start Lt. spots in both Harrison and Kearny. Reduce the number of Captains and replace some with lower ranking and paid Lt.'s.

I got plenty of issues with the way civil service works. It's really not a fair system but it's what we have. (for now)

You are correct. You don't like the way civil service works because it doesn't work. It's a broken toy. It is also clearly, in my opinion, manipulated by politicians to get to who they want. There can be no other conclusion. NJ status quo all over again, it's all who you know and not what you know.