HFD-HPD Merge

Guest guest

Just Asking: Would it not be a great idea to cross train the Police and Firemen in Town? Seems as there are not that many fires so the Firemen can help patrol the streets and help reduce crime instead of waiting for an alarm to ring. If there is a fire there are always Police there, so let's combine both Dept's save million's of dollars = lower taxes? Any thoughts?

I think that idea has potential. 42 more patrolman on the street from the HFD, you could not be a supervisor HFD/HPD because there is not enough time to teach you how to be a cop. Probaly 75% of the HFD would fail out of the Police Academy because of poor physical conditioning, the drug testing, and the overall fear of doing the job. So the town would have about 10 rookies that could make it. The other 32 firemen could get jobs at Wendys, Burger King, etc.......I say we start the process ASAP. The cops would need one day of instruction maximum just to learn how the hoses and gadgets on a fire truck work. Any high school freshman could do a firemans job, thats for sure. They HFD recruits could walk the beat just to make the residents feel safer and the real cops can do the actual Police work. The HPD guys get first responder medical instruction in the academy so a refresher course would be needed. Like one more day. BRAVISIMO to your sharing.

Guest Guest #2

Just Asking: Would it not be a great idea to cross train the Police and Firemen in Town? Seems as there are not that many fires so the Firemen can help patrol the streets and help reduce crime instead of waiting for an alarm to ring. If there is a fire there are always Police there, so let's combine both Dept's save million's of dollars = lower taxes? Any thoughts?

Barney, my first thought is this is your way of becoming one of Harrison's Bravest, something that you haven't been able to do by the front door. You're such a jerk.

Great Idea, I'm sure residents will be happy to see HPD and HFD unite and work together to keep our community safe and to save us alot of money and unnecessary spending.

Guest Guest #2

Great Idea, I'm sure residents will be happy to see HPD and HFD unite and work together to keep our community safe and to save us alot of money and unnecessary spending.

See! Barney can talk nice when he wants to. LOL

You think I would actually say something nice about the Harrison Fire Dept. Nobody else or myself is gonna think its too funny anymore after the Harrison Fire Dept. calling special people "retards." The Firemen should give the guy up who typed that vicious comment because these "retards" families and Organizations as the Fire Department called them are not going to just let this one blow over. A lot of anger and disgrace to the HFD will follow very soon.

See! Barney can talk nice when he wants to. LOL

Watch it! Never let your guard down with "Ole Barn" around. That one bullet in his pocket is like a Nuclear Missile to him. So is his big mouth!

Guest Harrison's Bravest

You think I would actually say something nice about the Harrison Fire Dept. Nobody else or myself is gonna think its too funny anymore after the Harrison Fire Dept. calling special people "retards." The Firemen should give the guy up who typed that vicious comment because these "retards" families and Organizations as the Fire Department called them are not going to just let this one blow over. A lot of anger and disgrace to the HFD will follow very soon.

Barney, you're the only guy I would ever consider calling a retard, but you're not "special people", you're more like a low-class jerk.

You can't be just a little bit pregnant. You are or are not. Selectively using that word is the same way. You either use it or you don't. You do. Case closed.

Barney's pregnant too? Retard and pregnant, so that's why he's so jealous of the FD, he could never pass the physical.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

word is another 10+ harrison firefighters are retiring (including the chief) in the next few months - all thanks to the Gov. with the threat of making them pay 30% more for health/benifits. it will make sense for harrison to shutdown the firehouse on cleveland ave and run 1 engine and 1 ladder truck with the ambulances out of headquarters. maybe they should then sell the engine from cleveland ave to east newark since east newark pretty much covers harrison almost on a daily basis anyway (((do the harrison tax paying residents know this? YES, harrison fd is so stretched thin that east newark volunteers gets paged almost on a daily basis to cover the town of harrison and respond to calls ..))) can you imagine how much thinner the dept will be after the 10-15 retirements coming soon..its a very bad thing considering the harrison fd is busier than what alot of people think

--i support the fd and beleive we need career depts but stretching the dept very thin with only 2 guys on each truck doesn't sound safe considering the laws put in place at the national level say a requirement of at least 4 is mandatory. *****pad lock cleveland ave and beef up hq*****

Guest Guest

Camden is considering consolidating their emergency services DUHHHH, makes complete sense why not in Harrison?

Camden is NOT merging police and fire departments together. The county of Camden wants to merge all of its police departments together to become one big county wide department. They want to do the same with all fire departments. Not the way you are making it out to be.

Guest guest

I gotta agree that 2 fireman on a truck is quite low and it should not happen. I also think that 2 cops on the street even on weekend nights is is quite low and should not be allowed. Where is all the taxpayers money going? It's obvious it's not going towards public safety. The cops and ff are at their lowest manpower in the history of Harrison. How is a town with so little public safety going to attract any re-developement like stores, a supermarket, or the like if they know that is there is a fire or the need for Police that it is not available......it's gonna be long, perilous summer.

Guest Guest

Anyone in the HPD, HFD, KPD, and KFD with 25 years on should have retired already and then the towns can get some able bodied people to work. Especially the ***** HFD ***** and HFD ********** ***** that weights about 350 lbs. What are they gonna do at a fire but roast a hotdog. Anyone on after 25 years is just a hanger-on to get the 70% pension. This is the perfect time to start going to a volunteer fire dept. As someone leaves, a volunteer takes his place and eventually all paid ff will be gone. In three months there have been 2 tiny fires that could havee been knocked down with a bucket of water and a hologen tool (new word). This is not worth $5 million a year. That rocket in my pocket you say is actually in my pants and ****** for your ***** *****. Now go pay your $400.00 month.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest Guest

I have met some sef-centered and egotistical people in my life but you take the cake. The decision to make fireman and others to make contributions to their medical benefits is a law, not a threat as you say. Almost every person receiving medical benefits in America pay a portion of their benefits to defray the costs to the companies. Millions of people do not even get medical benefits at all. If you see it as a threat, then drop out of the program and get your own benefits. No one is forcing you, you have a choice. Same thing as with your pension contribution. If you don't think the pension is worth the percentage you pay then opt out and plan for your retirement on your own. Most people in private industry jobs would love the package you get and you complain. What makes you think you are so special and gives you the idea that you should be treated better than anyone else? You are doing nothing but holding a spot for the next guy when you leave. In my opinion you should be paying 50% and at least 12% towards your pension. Stop being so greedy. MEFIRST.

Guest Guest

We are talking about the Harrison Fire Department here, not a national level. Explain how the Harrison Fire Department is busier than a lot of people think as you said. Busy doing what? Please expound on this statement if you can so that the residents are aware of being a lot busier doing things that the people are unaware of. Two mini fires in three months does not warrant a paid Fire Department which is one of the highest paid in the State of New Jersey. They have more Chiefs than Indians, maybe you can explain that too. In addition, the fact that the HFD has no minorties including any women leads me to belive that most of the jobs are appointed due to nepotism and patronage. See if you can up with some answers to these questions with some detail.

Guest Guest

Camden is NOT merging police and fire departments together. The county of Camden wants to merge all of its police departments together to become one big county wide department. They want to do the same with all fire departments. Not the way you are making it out to be.

Harrison and east newark should merge. They already have merged the dispatchers and gave them nothing more for doing more work and responsibility, so do the same for the hpd and hfd and also the dpw and all the other town workers too!Everyone loves doing more work for free and they really love watching their TAXES go up while they are not allowed a raise. Sure just keep piling it on why not !

word is another 10+ harrison firefighters are retiring (including the chief) in the next few months - all thanks to the Gov. with the threat of making them pay 30% more for health/benifits. it will make sense for harrison to shutdown the firehouse on cleveland ave and run 1 engine and 1 ladder truck with the ambulances out of headquarters. maybe they should then sell the engine from cleveland ave to east newark since east newark pretty much covers harrison almost on a daily basis anyway (((do the harrison tax paying residents know this? YES, harrison fd is so stretched thin that east newark volunteers gets paged almost on a daily basis to cover the town of harrison and respond to calls ..))) can you imagine how much thinner the dept will be after the 10-15 retirements coming soon..its a very bad thing considering the harrison fd is busier than what alot of people think

--i support the fd and beleive we need career depts but stretching the dept very thin with only 2 guys on each truck doesn't sound safe considering the laws put in place at the national level say a requirement of at least 4 is mandatory. *****pad lock cleveland ave and beef up hq*****

It's shocking to hear that they won't replace these retiring FF's. They are already at an all time low. Why not bring new guys in under a new contract. One with a little lower pay and a bigger share of benifits? You could get a lot of people to do the job for a little less. Lets keep as much of the paid department as we can.

But if those guys leave and no replacements are found sounds like the town should shut down Cleveland Ave. Go with everything at HQ's hopefully have a Ladder/Engine/Ambulance manned each day.

There are lots of different ways Harrison can save money and keep a paid fd. I could think of 3 feasibile ways off the tope of my head and I'm sure there are other idea's as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Why would Harrison replace any retired Fire Department members when they are just ambulance drivers? Would you use a helicopter to put more people onto a ship that is sinking fast just for the hell of it? The Fire Department is a short lived entity which should have been gone years ago. It's a commodity for boom times, not a nescessity in a recession. Letting a property of any kind to just burn out would be more profitable to the owner anyway. $5 million dollars a year of the taxpayers money is absurd to give to a group of siblings and patronage jobs that do nothing but an occasional ambulance run. The ambulance service can be replaced by a professional service of qualified personnel for probably well under $1 million a year. Another point; Why do the Firemen receive a clothing allowance of I believe to be $2 thousand each a year when they are provided with uniforms by the town and are sent out and returned to the Clubhouse by a cleaning service which the town pays for? Waste, waste, waste. I hope the **** ****. ********* ***** spectator is on the way out because at that *******, (***, not muscle) he is completely useless. If the alarm bell rings at the Clubhouse for service it must take at least 30 to 40 minutes for this guy to get ready so they probably don't even wait for him. Wheres the yearly physical?

Edited by KOTW
Content.