BAD CALL F.D.

Guest concerned mom

Guest concerned mom

I just need to know, what was F.D. thinking, when he decieded to open school on Wendsday? Lets face it,this has been a rough winter so far granted,but,I believe we have four snow days alocated for the school year. This ice storm we experienced was the worse, it was so dangerous trying to get our children to school,we could not drive our cars,the streets were a sheet of ice,so we decieded to walk,another bad idea! It was early morning,residents and bussiness had not yet got to thier sidewalks,we were slipsliding along you could not walk on the sidewalks,(our crossing guard even fell)so,we tried walking in the street, another bad idea,this was super DANGEROUS. My question is is it F.D. that determines if school opens or not, is it up to the board members, and can the police dept.over rule the decision of the BOE due to safty of the children. What happened to the safty committes organized at each elementary school? Someone needs to take a serious look before a tragedy occurs.

I just need to know, what was F.D. thinking, when he decieded to open school on Wendsday? Lets face it,this has been a rough winter so far granted,but,I believe we have four snow days alocated for the school year. This ice storm we experienced was the worse, it was so dangerous trying to get our children to school,we could not drive our cars,the streets were a sheet of ice,so we decieded to walk,another bad idea! It was early morning,residents and bussiness had not yet got to thier sidewalks,we were slipsliding along you could not walk on the sidewalks,(our crossing guard even fell)so,we tried walking in the street, another bad idea,this was super DANGEROUS. My question is is it F.D. that determines if school opens or not, is it up to the board members, and can the police dept.over rule the decision of the BOE due to safty of the children. What happened to the safty committes organized at each elementary school? Someone needs to take a serious look before a tragedy occurs.

I agree 100%. Devon Street in front of the High School was like a skating rink. These kids were on the sidewalk and sliding all over the place and the street wasn't any better.

Guest Inside Eyes

Sorry to say, but it is FD's call. He takes, or should take advice from the Police Department. Also the Superintendents play follow the leader--I guess FD thinks he is the leader and not a follower. That being said, bad call FD. Listen to the police and use your head for more than a hat rack.

Maybe parents should use their own discretion and keep their children home. Parental responsibility is where the children's safety should start.

NA closed schools (including QP Grammar School) - wisely or not. However, driving home at 3:30, the icy streets didn't seem to bother the kids in NA while they walked and played all over the streets on their day off. They weren't exactly sitting home safe and sound.

If FD closed the schools the parents would be complaining that they didn't have anywhere to dump their kids for the day.

You just can't win.

Let's find out what the teacher/staff attendance was on that day. Most of the teachers don't live in the neighborhood that they teach in and had to drive to work. I'm betting the teacher attendance rate on that day was higher than the student attendance rate. Can someone find and post that data?

Let's find out what the teacher/staff attendance was on that day. Most of the teachers don't live in the neighborhood that they teach in and had to drive to work. I'm betting the teacher attendance rate on that day was higher than the student attendance rate. Can someone find and post that data?

PLEASE DO!! PLEASEEEEEE..