Harrison Property Taxes

Guest Guest

I am just sick and tired of paying too high of property taxes in this town and receive nothing in return. My stret was not even plowed once during this snow storm. They were suppose to clean it up yesterday and never showed. Why should we tax payers pick up the bad management of our Mayor and councilmen. They keep floating bonds to loan money to these developers that are not developing nor selling. They stoped all construction on the river. There was suppose to be a pool and a clubhouse and there is nothing. And now its being said that because the governor has made alot of cutbacks our property taxes will go up 24%! You got to be nuts Mayor if you think we are going to pay that! I propose that anyone who is employed by the town and does not live in the town be taxed on thier high salaries. They are taking a big chunck out of Harrison and are not giving anything back. They should have to pay at least 10%of thier weekly salary as a tax to the town. They do this in many other states. If you do not live in the town that is your right, but than if you are pulling a salary you have to pay a tax to Harrison. What do you think Mayor and town council? Have you ever thought of that instead of just raising our property tax again! I can't belive that you are not collecting any taxes from the Red Bull Stadium. If I didn't pay my taxes I would be in the newspaper saying how much I owe. And where is all the money going that you are collecting on that new parking lot? And it is time for another lay off. This time make it the high salary earners not the little guys. You already took back a few of the high earners that were laid off. You are not fooling anyone.

I am just sick and tired of paying too high of property taxes in this town and receive nothing in return. My stret was not even plowed once during this snow storm. They were suppose to clean it up yesterday and never showed. Why should we tax payers pick up the bad management of our Mayor and councilmen. They keep floating bonds to loan money to these developers that are not developing nor selling. They stoped all construction on the river. There was suppose to be a pool and a clubhouse and there is nothing. And now its being said that because the governor has made alot of cutbacks our property taxes will go up 24%! You got to be nuts Mayor if you think we are going to pay that! I propose that anyone who is employed by the town and does not live in the town be taxed on thier high salaries. They are taking a big chunck out of Harrison and are not giving anything back. They should have to pay at least 10%of thier weekly salary as a tax to the town. They do this in many other states. If you do not live in the town that is your right, but than if you are pulling a salary you have to pay a tax to Harrison. What do you think Mayor and town council? Have you ever thought of that instead of just raising our property tax again! I can't belive that you are not collecting any taxes from the Red Bull Stadium. If I didn't pay my taxes I would be in the newspaper saying how much I owe. And where is all the money going that you are collecting on that new parking lot? And it is time for another lay off. This time make it the high salary earners not the little guys. You already took back a few of the high earners that were laid off. You are not fooling anyone.

Perhaps you didn't see the Election results. They won big time!

You had your chance in November. Now shut the f*** up! :angry:

Perhaps you didn't see the Election results. They won big time!

You had your chance in November. Now shut the f*** up! :angry:

I did use my chance but I was in the minority. I still don't understand how the towns people voted them back in. There is something fishy with that. And don't tell me to shut the f**k up! Obviously you are one of the town employees whom make a high salary and live out of town. It is time you paid your share and give something back to Harrison. You should have a tax on your ass! I am sick of paying these high taxes for your salary and every year we get less. It has been a week since the snow storm and my street was NEVER even plowed once yet. It was salted once.

First, Harrison is not going to put an income tax on wages. That is completely crazy. Major cities (say New York, Philly, etc.) put income taxes on wages earned IN the city, not outside of it. If you tried to have another income tax on people that live in the town but earn wages outside of it those individuals will just move.

Second, if anything the taxes in Harrison are likely too LOW for the services that are offered. The majority of the town (and school) funding comes from the state: that is, wealthy residents (and companies) pay taxes to the state that are then redistributed to Harrison to pay for services in the town. This is unsustainable because the state just doesn't have the money anymore to keep handing it out to poorly run towns.

This thread does hit a fundamental underlying problem in the town: it is extremely poorly run by a quasi-corrupt group of incompetents. Further, the "opposition" group is incompetent and cannot put together a clear alternative (and so was completely destroyed in the most recent election). Why is it poorly run: we pay too much for poor services and have the same group of people running the town for years.

The best way ahead is difficult to both implement and explain to voters. It also has an entrenched opposition: people currently in power and employed by the town. What is the solution? Merge Harrison, East Newark, Kearny. Eliminate the paid fire departments in the merged towns. Eliminate as many full time positions as possible and the administrative overhead (so the towns could go from 3 highly paid superintendents of schools to just 1 - and the same for other departments). When negotiating with the unions (teachers, public workers, etc.) fight to keep pay raises to a minimum (as inflation is around 1%, has been for years and is likely to remain at that rate, raises should not be higher than that). Further, workers should not have defined benefit pensions (they should have 401K style pensions) and should have to pay at least 1.5% of their salaries towards their generous health benefits.

Basic political changes should also be made: term limits for mayors, councilmembers, no dual office holding with horrible conflict of interest (so you can't have an appointed superintendent also be a town councilman).

The list goes on and there has been some good discussion on KOTW on this. Unfortunately I doubt any of this will be implemented: that's why I will move to an area that is capable of long-range planning.

First, Harrison is not going to put an income tax on wages. That is completely crazy. Major cities (say New York, Philly, etc.) put income taxes on wages earned IN the city, not outside of it. If you tried to have another income tax on people that live in the town but earn wages outside of it those individuals will just move.

Second, if anything the taxes in Harrison are likely too LOW for the services that are offered. The majority of the town (and school) funding comes from the state: that is, wealthy residents (and companies) pay taxes to the state that are then redistributed to Harrison to pay for services in the town. This is unsustainable because the state just doesn't have the money anymore to keep handing it out to poorly run towns.

This thread does hit a fundamental underlying problem in the town: it is extremely poorly run by a quasi-corrupt group of incompetents. Further, the "opposition" group is incompetent and cannot put together a clear alternative (and so was completely destroyed in the most recent election). Why is it poorly run: we pay too much for poor services and have the same group of people running the town for years.

The best way ahead is difficult to both implement and explain to voters. It also has an entrenched opposition: people currently in power and employed by the town. What is the solution? Merge Harrison, East Newark, Kearny. Eliminate the paid fire departments in the merged towns. Eliminate as many full time positions as possible and the administrative overhead (so the towns could go from 3 highly paid superintendents of schools to just 1 - and the same for other departments). When negotiating with the unions (teachers, public workers, etc.) fight to keep pay raises to a minimum (as inflation is around 1%, has been for years and is likely to remain at that rate, raises should not be higher than that). Further, workers should not have defined benefit pensions (they should have 401K style pensions) and should have to pay at least 1.5% of their salaries towards their generous health benefits.

Basic political changes should also be made: term limits for mayors, councilmembers, no dual office holding with horrible conflict of interest (so you can't have an appointed superintendent also be a town councilman).

The list goes on and there has been some good discussion on KOTW on this. Unfortunately I doubt any of this will be implemented: that's why I will move to an area that is capable of long-range planning.

Sounds to me that you ARE one of the out of towners that pull a large salary out of Harrison. And there ARE states that charge a tax to people who do not live in the city or town where they are employed. I know because I have friends that live in two of these states. I do agree with the proposals you have made and they are very good ones. I would like to know one thing. How the hell did the current mayor and coucil get back in? Who voted for them, I just don't know!