Passaic Ave Speed Limit?

Guest guest

There are many signs on Passic Ave that indicate the speed limit is 25 mph, but if you try to drive at 25 your are tailgated by angry road raged idiots. Stange, they won't pass over the double yellow line (at least most don't) but they'll speed or tailgate.

There are many signs on Passic Ave that indicate the speed limit is 25 mph, but if you try to drive at 25 your are tailgated by angry road raged idiots. Stange, they won't pass over the double yellow line (at least most don't) but they'll speed or tailgate.

It is kind of silly that the speed limit is 25mph. But I do understand where you are coming from. It's tough when you are in NA on that road heading towards Kearny the speed limit is often 40mph and there are many more small stores on the NA side. The only commercial really on the Kearny side is right past Bergen and you have multiple lanes. The town really should increase the speed limit to 35 except by that nasty curve.

I am not intending to justify tailgating as that is dangerous. But I do believe the town should raise it.

Guest Lead Foot

It is kind of silly that the speed limit is 25mph. But I do understand where you are coming from. It's tough when you are in NA on that road heading towards Kearny the speed limit is often 40mph and there are many more small stores on the NA side. The only commercial really on the Kearny side is right past Bergen and you have multiple lanes. The town really should increase the speed limit to 35 except by that nasty curve.

I am not intending to justify tailgating as that is dangerous. But I do believe the town should raise it.

You are right on the money. Twenty-five is really not in the realm of reality. Thirty-five would be perfect. Tailgating is really in poor taste and is dangerous. Twenty-five is a speed that most people do not adhere to while on Passaic Avenue and to find someone actually going twenty-five is the exception and not the rule. So Doc, let's get the speed raised to thirty-five.

Guest Studies

Passaic Ave is a County Road...the Town has NO say in anything to do with it. that speed limit is set by Hudson County, NOT the Town of Kearny.

It's a County road, not town.

Passaic Ave is a County Road...the Town has NO say in anything to do with it. that speed limit is set by Hudson County, NOT the Town of Kearny.

Right I thought about that after I posted. But still I think if something came from the Mayor and Council asking the county to consider raising it that would hold more weight than one letter from me.

The reason they will never raise the speed limit on Passaic is the same reason they will not raise the speed limit on the turnpike or parkway. Numerous studies have shown raising the speed limit only 10mph more then triples the chance drivers will drive even 10 miles above that.

I can even admit to it, when i see the speed limit is say 45 i try and keep it around 55 ect. If we raise the speed limit to 35 on Passaic Ave., people will be doing 50. Not everyone, but it only takes one jerk to hit someone coming out of one of the parks.

I def could see everyones point, but there is always someone who would ruin it for everyone else. So to be on the safe side, they will never change it.

Right I thought about that after I posted. But still I think if something came from the Mayor and Council asking the county to consider raising it that would hold more weight than one letter from me.

oh please. The Mayor and Council are so disengaged on everything pertaining to Kearny. it is a joke

The reason they will never raise the speed limit on Passaic is the same reason they will not raise the speed limit on the turnpike or parkway. Numerous studies have shown raising the speed limit only 10mph more then triples the chance drivers will drive even 10 miles above that.

I can even admit to it, when i see the speed limit is say 45 i try and keep it around 55 ect. If we raise the speed limit to 35 on Passaic Ave., people will be doing 50. Not everyone, but it only takes one jerk to hit someone coming out of one of the parks.

I def could see everyones point, but there is always someone who would ruin it for everyone else. So to be on the safe side, they will never change it.

I recall when I first started driving the Highest Speed limit on the Turnpike and Parkway was 55... they raised it to 65... So why did they raise it then? That was an invalid argument you just made.

To your argument about raising it to 35 and people will do 50, they don't have that issue in Bergen County on the same stretch of road, I ride it all the time.

I agree you will get some people doing 50 or so... but those same people are probably doing 50 on the road right now (well actually not in this weather but you get my point)

SPEED LIMIT wait til 2011 the speed limit in East Newark drops to 15 MPH great gimmick to get more TICKETS.......

I know East Newark is working on that. It will not lower the limit from 25 to 15 on Passaic Ave though. Passaic Ave will still remain 25mph. Unless of course the county approves and allows the change.

Just another stupid thing Kearny has to offer. 25 mph on a , road that should be 35 to 40.

Try to go 25, my car dosen't want to go that slow in idol. That is bike speed. Cars don't have wooden wheels anymore.They are slowing down progress with a speed limit at 25. AND THAT IS THE LIMIT.What if they did 15 mph, I'd runn them into the curb and they would see my finger getting smaller by the second....

• 2 weeks later...